Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need for a Strategic Level Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need for a Strategic Level Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need for a Strategic Level Game - 2/23/2001 10:36:00 PM   
Randy Stead

Does anybody else notice the lack of a good grand-strategic level game? I come from the era of Avalon Hill's Third Reich and SSI's Clash of Steel. It seems that we could really use a good game that covers the whole war on all fronts, including production and strategic warfare,i.e. u-boats and B17's. Clash of Steel is too flawed and simplistic, as was High Command. As a family man I just don't have the time or space to play something like War in Europe. Does anybody know of such a thing in development?

Post #: 1
- 2/24/2001 10:26:00 AM   
mariovalleemtl

Third Reich,Clash of Steel, High Command. I haved play those 3 flops and me to I would like to have a good one. Where is my Napoleonic strat/opp game ??? Help ! ------------------ Vive L'Empereur !

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 2
- 2/24/2001 11:35:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Give us some time - if all goes according to plan in the next 2-3 years we will have "Grand Strategic" Napoleaonic, Civil War, and WW2 (Europe) games (maybe a few others). Unfortunatley we can only work so fast...

Post #: 3
- 2/25/2001 12:04:00 AM   
Randy Stead

Thanks Paul. It gives us something to look forward to. In the meantime I'll keep on with my old classics, SPWAW & War in Russia. I see a link on this site to 2 By 3 Games, they've got a new 41-45 Eastern Front game in development. Looks very interesting. P.S. Thanks for all the great work you guys do.

Post #: 4
- 2/25/2001 11:55:00 AM   
John W Cochran

There will (should) be a computer version of World In Flames released by next summer. ------------------ [email]JohnWCochran@aol.com[/email]

[email]JohnWCochran@aol.com[/email]

Post #: 5
- 2/25/2001 4:33:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Give us some time - if all goes according to plan in the next 2-3 years we will have "Grand Strategic" ... WW2(Europe)....
Is this why you guys aren't doing 2BY3 Games's WiR remake, because you've got a European Theatre game on the table? Or do you figure a WiR remake won't be as popular as WitP?

Post #: 6
- 2/25/2001 10:21:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

No, I'm not sure what 2by3games plans for their Eastern Front game. My opinion is there isn't much overlap between a game like that and a less time intensive strategic game (ie one with seasonal or bi-monthly turns and corps sized units ala Third Reich or Clash of Steel. We are focused on the batch of games we have now though. But we have some real great stuff coming down the road, but we are staying focused on a conservative product line to get going, then if the support is there, good things will come. Its a slow road though, so bear with us! 2001 should be a great year! [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited February 25, 2001).]

Post #: 7
- 2/28/2001 7:08:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

Just how do you guys define "grand strategic?" To me that means policy and politics as well as resource allocation and military strategy. No Greater Glory and Road to Appomattox come to mind. Has anyone ever done a WWII game from the vantage point of FDR? Or Churchill?

Post #: 8
- 2/28/2001 7:20:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Something involving Military, Diplomacy and maybe a smattering of Economics.

Post #: 9
- 3/1/2001 10:05:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

How about internal policies and politics to maintain support for the war effort? Coalition politics? Interservice rivalries? Full, partial, or no special mobilization of the economy?

Post #: 10
- 3/3/2001 9:03:00 AM   
Warpup

Was the original comment about computer games only??? Board games like Victory Games' Civil War and AH's Empires in Arms were great. I've heard that Totaler Krieg!, Paths of Glory, We the People, and For the People are excellent board games, though I've got no one to play board games with on a regular basis, so I haven't tried them. How was that computer game called "The American Civil War"??? It had a picture of a Whitworth cannon on the box front. I heard it was pretty involved and had political and production decisions. Europa Universalis is supposed to be very impressive. Has anyone tried that???

Post #: 11
- 3/4/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Randy Stead

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warpup: Was the original comment about computer games only? Primarily. Boardgames can be fun, but I find it difficult to find opponents and some are so big and take up an impractical amount of space. Also, I find most boardgames were all or nothing with combat results, whereas computer games can take into account and track for partial attrition.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need for a Strategic Level Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI