Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most Underrated Army in WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most Underrated Army in WWII Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most Underrated Army in WWII - 7/7/2000 12:14:00 AM   
Semachus

Well, I would like to mention the Italian Army. Yes, they had their poor units, but they also had some excellent units. Their armored formations ill-equipped at times fought well and had high morale (Rommel himself rated the Italian 132nd Armoured division -- the Ariete -- high), the Alpine troops, combat engineers (Guastatori), Bersaglieri, cavalry regiments, Paratroops (check out the Folgore's combat record at El Alamein) etc. For a poor record in combat the case could be made that some Italians felt that they were fighting the wrong enemy. In 1935, plans were being made with France to deal with a belligerent Germany (be an interesting hypothetical series of games). Anyway, it is easier sometimes to feel confident and supreme when one has the best of equipment...but to go into battle knowing that you may not have the best - but still to go out and to try to do the best job possible.....isnt that something to ponder?.....and in the confines of this great game SPWAW it may be interesting to try and do....

Post #: 1
- 7/7/2000 1:21:00 AM   
Seth

I'm really not convinced that the Italians are underrated. It's no distortion of history to say that they lost miserably. They got beaten badly by the Greeks, hardly a world-class military. There were a few elite formations, but this does nothing to overshadow the fact that their equipment was junk, their industrial capacity was terrible, and they folded in '43. Too bad. If the war had been based on aesthetics, the RM and RA would have ruled the sea and sky. Unfortunately, beauty never won a war, that I know of. I kind of root for them when I watch documentaries, but you know from the start they're headed for the toilet. Underdogs yes, underrated, no. In fact, considering what might have been reasonably expected of a large European military, perhaps a bit overrated, at the time of course. I would pick the Chinese. This may strike you as odd, but think about it. What do you ever hear about the Chinese? Yes, they seem to have done poorly, but I've never seen any source that gives them more than a few pages. They managed to fight the Japanese to a standstill, and even beat them in several battles. Shortly before the Rape of Nanking, they inflicted a sharp defeat on the Japanese. I've seen some very old magazine articles (Fortune, from 1937) about another victory, but can't remember details. Even if they were just plain bad, they're still underrated by virtue of being ignored. A huge manpower effort at the very least.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 2
- 7/7/2000 2:38:00 AM   
JJU57

Italians. This is a joke right.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 3
- 7/7/2000 2:42:00 AM   
Drake666

quote:

Originally posted by JJU57: Italians. This is a joke right.
I think it most be. The one good thing Rommal had to say about them is that they were good road builders. Gess they needed them for all the retreating they did.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 4
- 7/7/2000 2:52:00 AM   
warhead

The Finns, hannds downn.

Backstage at the '76 Mr.Olympia: Serge Nubrut to Arnold "I look like I can take you"...Arnold "keep looking"

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 5
- 7/7/2000 2:56:00 AM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by warhead: The Finns, hannds downn.
agreed. Russophiles will say "But Finland lost both times..." and their point is? The Finnish Army backs down from no one. They ripped their independence away at the close of WW1 and will be damned if they let anyone take it for free. Hats off to 'em and wish all free nations had that attitude. regards, sven ------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 6
- 7/7/2000 5:26:00 AM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by sven: agreed. Russophiles will say "But Finland lost both times..." and their point is? The Finnish Army backs down from no one. They ripped their independence away at the close of WW1 and will be damned if they let anyone take it for free. Hats off to 'em and wish all free nations had that attitude. regards, sven
Well, I don't know that the Finnish were ever underrated. Possibly only by Russian officers attempting to avoid a purge. The finns were tenacious, but does that make them underrated? I really don't think so. They fought hard, and cost the russians a lot for their victories, but so did the Japanese and the Germans. They all lost. I think that for anyone to ever be considered underrated, they must perform above and beyond, amidst the popular belief that they could not possibly perform that well. I really don't think the Finnish, Germans, or Japanese fought much better than was expected, nor did anyone, really think that they would not fight as they did. If any army was underrated, it would have had to have been the US Army. The British had basically the same mentality of the US that they did in WW1--that they could not fight. The Japanese also believed that there would be no will to fight after such a horrible disaster at Pearl Harbor. However, the performance of the US eventually impressed even Montgomery and proved very quickly that the Japanese idea was completely wrong.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 7
- 7/7/2000 6:44:00 AM   
talon

So again I have to ask if this topic is on how their performance was expected before the war or is the idear on how their performance is judged today by common sense ? If its on historic expectations than I woud agree that the Finns are high on the List . Stalin expected to invade them with almost no resistance and the rest off Europe shared this . If its on todays opinion than I would say the Poles are most underrated because their good performance with bad equipment is always forgotten . The Germans needed dar more ammo to destroy a polish inf div in 1939 than they needed in France for a allied so they put up a harder fight . They knew that they had no chance from the start because off being virtualy surounded from the start and their only hope was to relie on france which had the poorest performance in its history in this war and not even had a plan to help the Poles . Also it has to be seen that they had to fight against both the Germans and the Red Army

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 8
- 7/7/2000 7:23:00 AM   
troopie

The Chinese. Especially the Eighth Route Army (Chicom) Japanese radio said the Eighth was the real enemy to fear. Not only did this underequipped army fight the Japanese even, it proceded after the war to take all of China. or the Yugoslav Partisans. I was told by a non-Yugoslav that when the Red Army reached the Danube it met Tito's partisans who told them, "You can go north to Austria now comrades. Jobs all done here" troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 9
- 7/7/2000 8:08:00 PM   
Ed

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: I think it most be. The one good thing Rommal had to say about them is that they were good road builders. Gess they needed them for all the retreating they did.
The Italian Army in its 1939 cultural state was unready for maneuver warfare: true. We practiced an highly centralized control and communications between different layers were poor (a situation similar to the 1940's France). Italy suffered a lot of problems at a strategic level: all that influenced out tactic operations but our combat records are not as bad as portrayed by English literature. SPWAW is a tactical level game and Italians OOB are ridiculous. I'm sorry to see just how strong your prejudices are.

-------- Regards

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 10
- 7/7/2000 8:40:00 PM   
Fabs

I agree with Ed. The Italian army suffered reverses comparable to those suffered by French, Soviet, American and even British (Singapore) forces. Like the French, their situation in the war did not give them the opportunity of redeeming themselves by winning big at some other time. British propaganda created the concept of Italians being fight shy and "having one gear forward and twelve reverse gears" on their tanks. This stuck after the war, and Anglo-Saxons are fond of perpetuating these prejudices. A number of more objective Anglo-Saxon, German and Soviet commentators have expressed a more balanced view. Italians themselves do not normally like to talk about this subject because they are not proud of that period in their history. Being from Switzerland, having lived in the UK for 25 years, and being of Italian culture (I come from an Italian speaking Canton) I am probably in a unique position to understand the problem. Italians fought well and won against the Austrians during 1914-1918. Their political leadership leading into the Second World War was deeply flawed. Their commitment to their alliance with Germany was never solid. Opportunism and fear played a big part. In this they were hardly alone in Europe. Italy was far from ready for war when Hitler got going, and their early adventures were efforts aimed at keeping up and not being left out. They were ill advised and doomed to failure. Again, the results of a complex and difficult geopolitical situation are being oversimplified to come to a judgement about the Army of the country in question. Over-rated, under-rated... what does it matter? History has recorded that italian soldiers fought, suffered and died in hundereds of thousands, just like other soldiers in other Armies that at one time or another shared adverse fortunes. Here we come, fifty years later, with no concept of what it must have been like, and set ourselves up as judges. Is that fair? ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 11
- 7/7/2000 8:53:00 PM   
von Curow

About the Italians: Rommel actually rated the Italians very highly. Well, at least the privates. He felt the officer class was the real problem in the Italian military, and especially the upper echelons. His feeling was as much based on his experience against the Italians in the World War One, when his unit consistently defeated numerically superior Italian forces for reasons he attributed to faulty command. Similarly, some of the German officers in WW2 have written that Hungarian and Romanian troops weren't of poor quality, simply poorly equipped and poorly led. By the way, the Finns were definitely underrated. Everyone, not just the Russians, thought Finland was foolish for risking war with Russia in 1939. And everyone thought they would lose... which they did. But at a cost to the Russians which was unbelievable. KC [This message has been edited by von Curow (edited 07-07-2000).]

The closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 12
- 7/7/2000 9:10:00 PM   
sven

Fabs wrote: "History has recorded that italian soldiers fought, suffered and died in hundereds of thousands, just like other soldiers in other Armies that at one time or another shared adverse fortunes. Here we come, fifty years later, with no concept of what it must have been like, and set ourselves up as judges. Is that fair? " Fabs don't read or analyze history if that is how you feel. I mean God knows that each and every personality in our history books thought that they were "doing the right thing" even the biggest villains. If you don't want to discuss it then don't. Personally history is the pursuit of understanding what has led us to where we are. I do a disservice to the misery that was endured by our antecedents by not analyzing, questioning, and learning from the past. I am not sitting at my PC in 2000 America thinking I know what they went through, but neither would they understand what warfare has become in the post ww2 era either. That is the nature of civillization it mutates, changes, and invariably endures one way or another. Analysis does not equal personal attacks. regards, sven ------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 13
- 7/7/2000 9:42:00 PM   
Fabs

Sven, I must disagree. To analyze one must have an open mind. Too many of the posts under this heading and the other one are clearly laced with prejudice. The questions are framed in a way that envites that. If one wanted to ask analytical questions they could be framed in less general, more specific terms, and without resorting to approaches more suited to sports than history. I do not see a conflict between feeling the way I do and studying history, something that I have done keenly all my life. The study of history should not encourage the taking of judgemental positions. I do not see the opinions expressed as personal attacks. I see them as ill informed generalizations. If history is your interest and analysis your aim, you should ask different questions. Regards, ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 14
- 7/7/2000 10:06:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by von Curow: About the Italians: Rommel actually rated the Italians very highly. Well, at least the privates. He felt the officer class was the real problem in the Italian military, and especially the upper echelons. His feeling was as much based on his experience against the Italians in the World War One, when his unit consistently defeated numerically superior Italian forces for reasons he attributed to faulty command. Similarly, some of the German officers in WW2 have written that Hungarian and Romanian troops weren't of poor quality, simply poorly equipped and poorly led. By the way, the Finns were definitely underrated. Everyone, not just the Russians, thought Finland was foolish for risking war with Russia in 1939. And everyone thought they would lose... which they did. But at a cost to the Russians which was unbelievable. KC [This message has been edited by von Curow (edited 07-07-2000).]
This is what I remember reading not just by Rommel but also by Alan Moorhead, the Australian war correspondent. Good soldiers, poor and insufficient equipment and mediocre Generals caused the reverses suffered by the Italians. Hardly a unique case in Europe and elsewhere between 1939 and 1942. By late 1943 the country was in the grips of a virtual civil war, and was occupied by the Germans who fought the Allies all the way up the Boot. Italians fought with the Germans (under the Fascist puppet Republic of Salo), with the Allies (alas, they did not cover themselves with glory) and as partisans of various political hues. Italian troops excelled in suffering. The accounts of the retreat of the Italian Army from Russia make harrowing reading. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 15
- 7/7/2000 10:20:00 PM   
Seth

Originally posted by Fabs: I agree with Ed. The Italian army suffered reverses comparable to those suffered by French, Soviet, American and even British (Singapore) forces. S-Yes, except it kept suffering reverses. The French went much quicker. The Italians had three years to redeem themselves, and never really did. The most I'll say for them is that they were probably better to have with you than against you, just by virtue of their manpower. Okay, so they did beat the Ethiopians very convincingly, but that really wasn't much of a match-up. British propaganda created the concept of Italians being fight shy and "having one gear forward and twelve reverse gears" on their tanks. S-Their mass surrenders are outclassed only by the hordes of Soviets who were captured early in Barbarossa. This stuck after the war, and Anglo-Saxons are fond of perpetuating these prejudices. S-What, that the Italians lost? That the riduculous posturing of their comic-opera dictator was just a lot of hot air? If they won, they should have let us know. Italians fought well and won against the Austrians during 1914-1918. S-No they didn't win. They were on the winning side. They were just lucky that Italy vs. Austro-Hungary was a clash of junior partners. Economically, they were actually a drag on the allies, and the allies had to call off offensives to prop them up. Luckily, A-H was possibly even worse, and the Germans had to expend a lot of effort keeping them from collapsing. At any rate, nearly the entire war in that theatre was fought in Italy, and for every big victory, there was a crushing defeat. Remember Caporetto? Anyway, they did much better in WWI, and I would agree that they fought well, or at least decently. Their political leadership leading into the Second World War was deeply flawed. Their commitment to their alliance with Germany was never solid. Opportunism and fear played a big part. In this they were hardly alone in Europe. S-Well, that's true, mostly. Actually, not very much fear, and a heck of a lot of opportunism. They were very brave to give the Germans the brush-off whenever Adolf asked how the jews were doing. But they were quite craven in their desire to absorb as much of their neighbors as they could. No worse than the rest of east/central Europe where everyone wanted a piece of everyone else. Italy was far from ready for war when Hitler got going, and their early adventures were efforts aimed at keeping up and not being left out. They were ill advised and doomed to failure. S-Right, because their military was very bad. When the Greeks counterattack you, and nearly chase you out of Albania in the bargain, it really doesn't say much for your military power. Again, the results of a complex and difficult geopolitical situation are being oversimplified to come to a judgement about the Army of the country in question. S-Well, if you decide to fight people, and you get whipped, I don't see how that can possibly have nothing to do with your military. Even if the decision to fight rests squarely with the leadership, which I actually doubt in the Italians' case, the performance of the military is the most important thing in actually winning. History has recorded that italian soldiers fought, suffered and died in hundereds of thousands, just like other soldiers in other Armies that at one time or another shared adverse fortunes. Here we come, fifty years later, with no concept of what it must have been like, and set ourselves up as judges. Is that fair? S-Please, enough of these ludicrous 'that's not funny, my brother died like that' lectures. Here I come fifty years later, and say that someone lost. Oohh, what a mean guy I am. This is not a subjective thing. The Italians did very badly. Those are the facts. You know, whenever there's more than one of anything, one of them is better. That's the way it is. Tough luck if the guys you like are worse. If all of the countries had been equal, we'd still be fighting today. You know, I had relatives in the Polish army, but I don't fly into ridiculous histrionics every time someone says they lost. The Germans wiped the floor with them, end of story. I feel really bad about it, but it's the truth. Yes there were local actions where every army performed incredible deeds of valor, but all the anecdotes you can throw up here don't change the fact that they lost. And, quite frankly, I don't think I'm out of line to say they were fighting on the wrong side and I'm glad they did badly. At a distance of fifty years, I can even let myself root for them in war movies and think they made some beautiful airplanes, because the world is safe.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 16
- 7/7/2000 10:24:00 PM   
sven

Fabs: I do not agree with your statement that my question is a historically invalid one. Armies judge each other in peacetime and project the relative power of potential rivals.(and indeed in American planning even our allies during the early part of the century) This analysis lends itself to overrating, and underrating threats. Allow me to put forth leading questions that I would find much more abrasive, and lending themselves to ill informed generalization. 1)which nation had the least will to fight, and the worst doctrine? 2)Which nation deserves the "Ms. Congeniality" award for outstanding performance without strategic gain? 3)Which nation had the bravest soldiers? These are all questions that I have heard in my college WW2 course that I found to be very offensive. My question was simple and at no time did I expect people to act as though I were trying to set the over-under for a Cincinnatti Reds game. I expected people to back up their opinions and give reasons for their thoughts. What offends you so greatly about it? I have been a soldier. My wife is a soldier. Soldiers fight, and at no time would I ever call the personal honor, or integrity of someone who served their nation into question. Having said that analyzing the relative performance without wanting to engage in exchanges of college dissertations is not the great blemish that I think you are making it out to be. In my opinion we do a greater disservice to the men and women who are forced to fight when we do not analyze and understand command failures by nations in war. I would rather learn from the disaster of the French army after the "sitzkrieg" period than have my country suffer from a similar fate. I look at the tactics employed by the Red Army and shake my head in amazement at the wanton waste of soldiers that some of their tactics involved. Sorry if i do not feel myself to be a villain for asking which army performed below the expectations of the world at the time of the war. War is the single most wasteful endeavor that man can engage in. It is also sometimes extremely necessay to engage in it. I think that by taking an objective look at the past war efforts of various nations and their mistakes that errors that make war even more wasteful can be avoided. regards, sven (the "insensitive" one) ------------------ Give all you can all you can give.... [This message has been edited by sven (edited 07-07-2000).]

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 17
- 7/7/2000 11:04:00 PM   
Fabs

All this is good fun. You have not offended me, Sven, and I don't believe that you set out to offend anyone. This is sadly not true about some of the other posts, the contents of which had little to do with historical analysis. On other matters, we can agree to disagree. The sort of questions I would ask start with "Why.." as in "Why did a powerful and well equipped army such as the French Army in 1940 collapse in three weeks?". Once you try to compare (most over-rated/under-rated) it becomes extremely difficult to produce sensible answers because judgement and generalizations are introduced. This does not mean that you are not perfectly entitled to ask the question. There is room in the world for my approach as well as yours and others. Regards, Fabs (the Pedantic but passionate about history and wargaming one) ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-07-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 18
- 7/8/2000 12:21:00 AM   
JJU57

All the Italian supports try to defend them by crying about poor equipemnt, leaders or government. Well this made them a poor army. You will always find a hero or two and some units did fight fairly well. But overall they stunk. :P

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 19
- 7/8/2000 2:18:00 AM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by JJU57: All the Italian supports try to defend them by crying about poor equipemnt, leaders or government. Well this made them a poor army. You will always find a hero or two and some units did fight fairly well. But overall they stunk. :P
This is the sort of simplistic codswallop that I was getting at in my postings. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 20
- 7/8/2000 3:03:00 AM   
JJU57

Simplistic or not the fact remains that almost every last historian rates the Italian army as very poor. Your arguments are like saying a sports team tries hard but even though their record is 2 and 50 they shouldn't be ranked as a bad team cause their practice facility isn't as good as the others and they have a bad coach. My point is so what. Thats why they stink. And thats why the Italian army stunk.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 21
- 7/8/2000 4:51:00 AM   
Il carabiniere

Dannazione al mio scarso inglese!!! Per rispondere a tono a questo mucchio di pirla(vorrei usare un altro termine più acconcio ma poi mi censurano) mi toccherà tirar fuori vocabolario e grammatica inglese, e pensare che avrei altro per la testa (da tre giorni sono padre di una splendida bambina, non c'entra nulla, ma volevo dirlo comunque...)Comunque per il momento mi rivolgo agli altri italiani, avete visto che tono falsamente sussiegoso, molto political correct, e tutto per ritornare sui soliti luoghi comuni. Personalmente tiro un sospiro di sollievo che l'Asse non abbia vinto la guerra, ma questo non vuol dire che voglia farmi prendere per i fondelli. Mi sembra che il problema dovesse porsi così:in Spwaw esistono eserciti con valori realistici oppure no? ed invece ecco la solita canea di quelli che ci prendono in giro sulla nostra qualità di costruttori di strade e sul numero di retromarce dei nostri carri. Ma su quali testi di storia si basano questi signori? Ma ve li immaginate i loro baldi G. I. men a trovarsi nelle identiche situazioni nostre in Grecia in Africa o in Russia. Certo due o tre eroi si trovano dappertutto, ma a Luigi Durand De La Penne o a Salvo D'Acquisto voi altri chi potete opporre. Abbiamo perso,e chi dice il contrario, ma la guerra non è un torneo di football o di basket, a costo di sembrare retorico ricordiamoci che in guerra si muore e si soffre e i primi a restare disgustati sarebbero proprio i morti,i nostri e i vostri, a guardare noi che comodamente stiamo a discutere se i morti italiani sono morti goffamente mentre i morti americani sono elegantemente caduti come tanti piccoli John Wayne. Se mi chiedo perchè i francesi abbiano perso nel 1940 non mi rispondo perchè si erano ubriacati di champagne o avevano tirato fino a tardi al Molin Rouge, cerco di liberarmi dei luoghi comuni e lascio da parte le occasioni per trite battute - e se qualcuno conosce il carattere di attaccabrighe litigiosi di noi fiorentini può capire quanto ciò mi costi.Cerco solo di capire per il mio esclusivo piacere di comprendere le cose e non per fare facili battute Prometto che ora prendo il vocabolario.... ------------------

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 22
- 7/8/2000 4:54:00 AM   
warhead

I'm enjoying the hell out of these debates. Its like point-counterpoint worldwide and mostly between very intelligent people. Just when I think someone has the upper hand, the other counters. Lions 5, Christians 0.

Backstage at the '76 Mr.Olympia: Serge Nubrut to Arnold "I look like I can take you"...Arnold "keep looking"

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 23
- 7/8/2000 8:08:00 AM   
Desert Fox

Can anyone translate what the Italian fellow said? I would like to understand what he was saying.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 24
- 7/8/2000 8:29:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Not that I want to interfere with all the great Italian Army controversy, but I think that the most underrated army of WW2 was the Romanians. Most casual historians remember that they broke and allowed the entrapment of the 6th Army at Stalingrad. But they were equipped even more miserably than the Italians. I've always thought it was one of the stupidest actions of the German high command to place great responsibility on their allies and provide them with so little materiel support. During his campaigns in 1942 Manstein thought the Romanians to be good soldiers and the better Romanian units (the mountain divisions) were as good as a typical German division. FWIW I have no axe to grind here, I'm an American without an ethnically Romanian bone in my body.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 25
- 7/8/2000 6:32:00 PM   
Fabs

On this subject I have said all I want to say. Some of the other posters clearly have a different way of looking at things. I respect that, but beg to disagree. And Seth, as a matter of fact, my preference as far as Nations are concerned in World War 2 has always been for Britain and the Commonwealth and Empire Nations. Being Swiss I have no axe to grind in any direction. I do have some sympathy for the Italians. They did lose, they did pick the wrong side and their Armies performed badly by all accounts. I just find it galling that they should keep getting their nose rubbed into it after fifty years, and disagree with the generalizations that go with that. On the other hand, since the war, they have been whipping everybody at Football. These days it is sometimes hard to discern which is more important. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 26
- 7/8/2000 7:07:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Il carabiniere: Dannazione al mio scarso inglese!!! Per rispondere a tono a questo mucchio di pirla(vorrei usare un altro termine più acconcio ma poi mi censurano) mi toccherà tirar fuori vocabolario e grammatica inglese, e pensare che avrei altro per la testa (da tre giorni sono padre di una splendida bambina, non c'entra nulla, ma volevo dirlo comunque...)Comunque per il momento mi rivolgo agli altri italiani, avete visto che tono falsamente sussiegoso, molto political correct, e tutto per ritornare sui soliti luoghi comuni. Personalmente tiro un sospiro di sollievo che l'Asse non abbia vinto la guerra, ma questo non vuol dire che voglia farmi prendere per i fondelli. Mi sembra che il problema dovesse porsi così:in Spwaw esistono eserciti con valori realistici oppure no? ed invece ecco la solita canea di quelli che ci prendono in giro sulla nostra qualità di costruttori di strade e sul numero di retromarce dei nostri carri. Ma su quali testi di storia si basano questi signori? Ma ve li immaginate i loro baldi G. I. men a trovarsi nelle identiche situazioni nostre in Grecia in Africa o in Russia. Certo due o tre eroi si trovano dappertutto, ma a Luigi Durand De La Penne o a Salvo D'Acquisto voi altri chi potete opporre. Abbiamo perso,e chi dice il contrario, ma la guerra non è un torneo di football o di basket, a costo di sembrare retorico ricordiamoci che in guerra si muore e si soffre e i primi a restare disgustati sarebbero proprio i morti,i nostri e i vostri, a guardare noi che comodamente stiamo a discutere se i morti italiani sono morti goffamente mentre i morti americani sono elegantemente caduti come tanti piccoli John Wayne. Se mi chiedo perchè i francesi abbiano perso nel 1940 non mi rispondo perchè si erano ubriacati di champagne o avevano tirato fino a tardi al Molin Rouge, cerco di liberarmi dei luoghi comuni e lascio da parte le occasioni per trite battute - e se qualcuno conosce il carattere di attaccabrighe litigiosi di noi fiorentini può capire quanto ciò mi costi.Cerco solo di capire per il mio esclusivo piacere di comprendere le cose e non per fare facili battute Prometto che ora prendo il vocabolario....
Fossi in te non me la prenderei cosi tanto. Non esistono sordi piu` sordi di chi non vuole sentire. L'Italia di oggi, con tutti i suoi problemi, e` tra le prime potenze economiche del mondo e batte regolarmente gli Inglesi al calcio, loro sport preferito. Italiani e Anglosassoni sono molto diversi. Tutti e due i gruppi hanno molto da imparare l'uno dall'altro. Vivendo in Inghilterra mi rendo conto che spesso loro non avvicinano piu` gli Italiani con un cosi` netto senso di superiorita`. Il declino della loro nazione li rende piu` insicuri, e questo li puo` anche spingere a cercare rassicurazioni nel loro passato decisamente piu` glorioso. Gli Americani sono un'altra storia. Essendo la potenza geopolitica dominante pensano di avere sempre ragione. Ma per ogni Americano informato ce ne sono cento ignoranti. Ci saranno sempre persone dalle due parti che preferiranno restare ignoranti e basarsi sul passato per giudicare. Essenzialmente in questo dibattito ci sono due posizioni: una dice che il risultato finale e` l'unica cosa che conta. Sotto questa ottica l'Italia ha uno dei records peggiori perche` ha quasi sempre perso, e quasi sempre in modo spettacolare. L'altra dice che si deve considerare la posizione relativa dei combattenti per esprimere un giudizio bilanciato. Questa e` la mia posizione. Gli esponenti delle due posizioni non potranno mai essere d'accordo perche` i metodi di analisi sono diametralmente opposti. Congratulazioni per la nascita della tua bambina. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 27
- 7/8/2000 8:20:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Fox: Can anyone translate what the Italian fellow said? I would like to understand what he was saying.
He is, not unnaturally, upset by some of the things that have been said about Italians in the war. He says, among other things, that he is glad that the axis lost, but that that does not mean that he will put up with being gratuitously and ignorantly derided. The points he makes are of a similar nature to those made by others sympathetic to the Italian cause. He deprecates his lack of English skills, because he would very much have liked to join in the debate and say a thing or two about his perceived detractors. He has just had a beautiful baby daughter. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 28
- 7/8/2000 8:23:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Fabs: He is, not unnaturally, upset by some of the things that have been said about Italians in the war. Among other things he says that he is glad that the Axis lost the war, but that does not mean to say that he will put up with being gratuitously and ignorantly derided. The points he makes are of a similar nature to those made by others sympathetic to the Italian cause. He deprecates his lack of English skills, because he would very much have liked to join in the debate and say a thing or two about his perceived detractors. He has just had a beautiful baby daughter.

Fabs

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 29
- 7/8/2000 11:22:00 PM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by talon: The Germans needed dar more ammo to destroy a polish inf div in 1939 than they needed in France for a allied so they put up a harder fight .
Hmmm that's specious logic. in 39 there were some distinct differences in technology and circumstances which far batter explain this ammo factor: 1) AFV's in 39 more than probably needed to fire more to hit something. They also certainly needed to fire more to KILL something, the Germans had those undergunned Tanks, obviously there's a serious diference between an 88 gunned Tiger firing at an infantry squad and a 37mm firing at a squad. 2) In 44 the Germans were supplying two fronts with ammo and fuel, could bring relatively less material into a fight. At that point they were also hardened one could speculate less "trigger happy". Lastly if you turn this qualification around, and look at the US army, which from what I've read fired less than any other army in the world, this would tend to reflect poorly on the German's that (Bradley and Patton) helped push back to Berlin. Frankly considering well known results I think it's not a case of how much ammo you expend but how effectively you expend it... German Soldiers fighting the Poles hadn't seen combat since WWI, if indeed they had ever seen combat. Simon

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most Underrated Army in WWII Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI