Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player Reviews

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Battleground Europe: WWII Online >> Player Reviews Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player Reviews - 1/9/2006 7:42:32 PM   
Wooglin

This is my personal review of Battleground Europe.

Bottom line: mostly positive

Me: I'm a 30 something military historical buff. I have low/medium technical computer skills.

My computer: I have a Pentium 3 1Gig processor with an OK nVidea (sp.) graphics card. MY SYSTEM IS BELOW THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.

Installation: The Matrix/Digital River DL went fine. However, there are several other steps you need to take - you can't just download, install and play. I wish there were better instructions on this from Matrix. In any case, you can go to the "getting started" page at http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/started.jsp and follow their step by step instructions. I had a really hard time connecting to the update/patch FTP server and consequently could not load the game. I got real mad and blamed the game company. After a while, I turned off my firewall and all those problems went away. Oops. I guess somebody with more online MP experience would already know to do this, but it was frustrating for me.

Technical Performance: Not bad. My system is significantly below the minimum requirements but I generally do not have technical problems playing infantry. I might have problems playing tanks or airplanes but I have not gained enough experience to do them yet. You can run "settings" and adjust several details - mine are all set for minimum processing resources. I found a great post on the wwiionline forum that explains how to set the settings for maximum performance. I usually experience a minute or so of lag when I first start a mission, but then it goes away.

Gameplay: The gameworld is really cool. I'm just scratching the surface. There are player command structures for each side who issue orders. I don't understand everything and generally just follow the herd - just like a real green recruit. Players can join squads and find mentors to show them the ropes. The game has great graphics and sounds. I've never been in a battle (and hope I never will) but the experiences I have playing this game come pretty darn close to what I imagine it would be. Feels a lot like the movies Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

The game is not easy. It took several missions before I even started to figure out what was going on. Knowledge of real world infantry tactics would be a real plus. My hints for the new player: select missions with a picture of a little truck next to them (a "MSP" or mobile "spawn" site) and you will enter the game near the action; then shadow experienced players to see what they do and go where they go until you get a better feel for the game.

Conclusion: This is an online game that requires a subscription of about $15 per month. The Matrix version gets you a free one month subscription. I'm having a blast even though my computer is below minimum reqs. It is definitely worth the $$$ for the download and the free month subscription. However, I'm not sure whether I will start paying the monthly fee after the free period expires.

- w

< Message edited by Wooglin -- 1/9/2006 11:22:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Player Reviews - 1/10/2006 12:29:33 PM   
Tomus

I enjoy the game. However for me the distances that need traversing are simply too much in an online game. I often find myself walking for about 15 minutes and then get shot in the head and have to start back again. However the weapons seem very well modelled and the few times I have managed a kill its feels pretty good tbh. With spitfires etc flying over head and tanks rumbling around it does feel and sound very good and authentic, however it is also a touch sparse and I didn't find the community to be overwhelmingly helpful.

I hate to also say it but the combat is better in BF2 and you feel more involved in the conflict in that game as well.

WWII Online is a great game reminiscent of a persistent OFP but you need time to invest in it and learn how to play. If can make that investment then I reckon this game is superb unfortunately I don't have the time. I wouldn't write the game off, I just wish I had more time to play it and also I think the combat should be concentrated in a few areas rather than allowing action to take place all over to give a greater sense of a war going on.

Its worth at least a month to try it out. And then make a descion from there.

< Message edited by Tomus -- 1/10/2006 12:33:30 PM >

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 2
RE: Player Reviews - 1/10/2006 3:28:56 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

I enjoy the game. However for me the distances that need traversing are simply too much in an online game. I often find myself walking for about 15 minutes and then get shot in the head and have to start back again..

That can happen on attack missions. Looks for a friendly town with a flashing green box around it. That indicates a defensive mission. You can spawn in there and often end up right in the middle of the action. That way you can get shot in the head in the first 2 minutes.

As riflemen (I'm a Grenadier right now) we are at a disadvantage in the close-in fighting. We are better off finding a second floor window with a good field of fire and waiting for the enemy to come to us. Alternatively get out away from town and find a good spot behind a berm with some cover along a line of advance of the enemy and pick them off as they advance on the town.

Edit - Joining a squad higly recommended. There is a thread at the WWII Online forums with squads looking for new players to help along. I got an invitation to join a squad during one of my first missions and it has really helped a lot. Being able to talk to players on Teamspeak while you are on a mission can give you a big advantage.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 1/10/2006 3:31:28 PM >

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 3
RE: Player Reviews - 1/10/2006 9:07:26 PM   
cato13

i just got the game today as well. i like the idea of it bein more realistic n stuff but although i hate to say it 1st impressions r it did seem pretty dull and drab compared tp BF2. i spent 5 mins gettin to the city where the battle was and a further 30 mins wanderin around a ghost city.

guess im just used to BF2's small action packed maps

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
RE: Player Reviews - 1/10/2006 10:11:38 PM   
elmo3

Never played BF2 but you have to realize this is an online game where you can have hundreds of players on the ground and in the air all at the same time on a huge map, all doing their own thing. IMO you won't have the same level of graphical detail as a first person shooter with a scripted AI without horrible lag. Having said that, CRS is working on improving the graphics.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 5
RE: Player Reviews - 1/11/2006 6:18:40 PM   
GenChaos33

After playing the original Battlefield 1942 for 1 1/2 years including joining an online squad for a year of that time. So I logged in about 20-30 hrs a week of playing time. When BF2 came out, I made a decision. Since I love WWII games and BF2 was NOT WWII. I bought WWIIOnline/Battleground Europe instead of jumping to BF2. It was the best move I have ever made!

WWIIOnline/Battleground Europe is a great game! Yes, the graphics might not be as good and it might be a little buggy. But the tactics and grand scale of the game BLOWS ALL OTHER GAMES AWAY! I do play mainly the ground game, not much flying or boating. So I cannot really comment about planes, except that a have no problems as a paratrooper jumpping from the C-47.

I have been playing WWIIOL/BE for about 7 months now. I again have join a online squad and log about 20-30 hrs a week playing. I also have recently join the WWIIOL/BE Allied High Command, so I'm learning to help plan and carry out the overall strategy for the British(Allied) Forces on the map. SO I HAVE BEEN LOVIN EVERY MIN OF THE GAME. AND I LOVE MY BRITISH 2 POUNDER ATG. MUST MANEUVER SILENTLY INTO A GOOD POSITION AND POP THE TOPS OF THOSE PANZERS! chaos

< Message edited by GeneralChaos -- 1/11/2006 6:19:49 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Player Reviews - 1/11/2006 6:21:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

To everyone who has tried it and ended up in a less populated battlefield wondering where the action is - it's not uncommon when you are just starting out to end up in a less active area, until you get used to figuring out where the fights are. I highly recommend that you join up with a squad - the game will be a completely different experience for you. You're in the virtual military here, join up with a virtual squad and you'll have no lack of action!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GenChaos33)
Post #: 7
RE: Player Reviews - 1/11/2006 7:07:25 PM   
hardcase

Everyone Toggle the Y key twice to turn off the minimap. The map is a FPS drain. Page up down changes rifle sight ranges. Make ww2.exe NT compatible under ww2.exe properties. Always take a mission with a truck icon next to it.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Player Reviews - 1/11/2006 10:47:18 PM   
Joram

Day 1 player here though I've let my subscription lapse. Figured I'd give these forums a point of view for someone who played this for 3+ years. Left because after 3 years with anything, I kinda get bored with it. Obviously I'm single. :) This is a stream of conciousness mainly but will try to keep it organized. I will start with one statement, this game is unlike any other online game that you have played - guaranteed. So ...

In the beginning, there was lag, then Killer said "Let there be Terrain". Then the server crashed. After about a week of shotty play, it finally stabilized but without the terrain....

Jumping ahead to the review, the biggest thing you should be aware of is this is not an historical simulation of the Battle of France. Originally marketed (perhaps the proper words would be "strongly implied" though the devs would never admit to that either) as a re-creation of the Battle of France, it never really lived up to that. That's a good and bad thing. Now at least, they don't pretend it's a re-creation.

Originally, the Germans romped over the allied forces time and time again which was appeasing to my historical sentiments but frankly, I was on the German side more often than not. The Allieds got tired with the super slow French tanks (albeit with really thick armor) or the super fast British A13 but with paper thin armor whilst the Germans had well balanced Panzer 3s as their main battle tank. Even though the Germans couldn't stand up to a British Matty or French Char, those vehicles were rare enough (and really slow moving) that they rarely were able to stem the German tide.

So naturally, people initially liked to play the germans (who also had an advantage in the air due to flight times for one) and the developers decided that they should make a development plan so each side had different vehicles (exquisitely modelled for the most part) but on a strategic scale was more equitable. So, through much development time, they started adding more vehicles (in "Tiers") such that the forces were more balanced in ability. This is why you see strange things such as the Stuart and M10 (which was added after I left - damnit!) for the French.

The High Commands of each side, made of actual players, actually choose how to research so in each campaign, you may not necessarily get the same vehicles, at least not in the same proportions because they control production too. It's a cool feature but sometimes it leaves the everyday grunt wondering when he is going to get a vehicle he wants!

Now with that aside, what the game does (or did) was allow people to fight over historically accurate battlegrounds with historically accurate vehicles (though there's always someone saying something is wrong!) in the 1940's era. If you can accept the fact that it's not an historical simulation of WW2 in any other regards, then you will probably enjoy the game quite a bit.

As many people have said, there can be instances of waiting long amounts of time with little or no action. Thankfully, the designers have enabled a system where you can spawn closer to battle. No more 30 minute runs from your base to the frontline just to get shot in the head! Though that problem isn't completely eliminated. Vehicles still need to be spawned from forward bases (which is usually about a 5 minute drive to the action) or even rear towns (where the drive can be up to 30 minutes depending on how far back you go). Planes still need to fly to their target unless your field is being "vulched" in which case you probably won't make it off the tarmac. Thankfully, the designers added a lot of automatic and player AA guns (AA guns is one of my favorite classes by the way) so this wasn't as common as it used to be. There's even a navy portion though when I left, that consisted of river boats, destroyers, and a cargo ship for amphibious operations.

I've probably highlighted the bad more than the good here not because I don't like the game, it's more that I don't have the time to get into the ton of things to do in the game. Strategically, it's like a super-duper battle chess. Where the chess pieces are the infantry, tanks, armored cars, fighters, bombers, paratroopers and naval forces. When the high command issues a target, then a local commander gives the order and organizes the attack (hopefully, naturally some commanders are better than others), then you, the player, are the piece that goes and does the fighting. If you are part of a squad, your leader will organize the pieces and plan the route of attack.

You can make it as realistic (or conversely gamey) as you want to be. You can use cover, smoke and deception to try to capture the objectives (each town has several preliminary , or you can just go charging in like some mad russian-wave attack and hope someone survives. Some of the coolest moments are when cresting a hill watching a major attack unfold below you in three major directions. Some of the worst is when an enemy has your spawn so thoroughly camped, you can't even make it out of the barracks or motorpool. You can fight in formations with tanks and planes or just go it alone (though unless an ace, you will most likely die rather quickly!).

Lastly, graphically, the game is just "ok". It wasn't meant to be a graphic blockbuster but it actually isn't bad either. It is certainly a lot prettier than it used to be! Building walls often have clipping issues but the world is truly three dimensional so it adds a lot of hiding places for that sniper in town! Trees do stop bullets but that won't help if there is shrapnel or concussive effect coming around the side. There are no such thing as hitpoints, it's not usually fast paced like BF2 or whatever though you can get into some pretty intense door to door action in the cities. The map is humongous. It would take you all day to walk across the map (you are after all walking across Western Germany and France).

The game has come a long way since launch in 2000, let me tell you, and this re-launch will hopefully spark some new interest in it and allow them to develop other theatres which will add flavor to the game. Ok, stream of conciousness over!

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 9
RE: Player Reviews - 1/12/2006 12:32:02 AM   
hardcase

The Stuart P38 etc US equipment were on order to the French before they surrendered in 1940. WW2OL reflects the fact that the French are viable and took delivery of the vehicles on order.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Player Reviews - 1/12/2006 10:19:25 PM   
Wooglin

Thanks Joram for the thorough review and history. Couple of questions (if you or anybody knows): is there any material differece between the rerelease (BE) and earlier versions and do you know whether the makers have long term development plans (different battlefronts, new features)?

I'm approaching the expiration of my free period and am deciding whether to sign on for the long haul.

- w

(in reply to hardcase)
Post #: 11
RE: Player Reviews - 1/12/2006 11:12:33 PM   
Zakhal

Neat tank AAR:

http://www.axishq.wwiionline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33520

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 12
RE: Player Reviews - 1/13/2006 12:55:11 AM   
hardcase

BE and WW2OL are the same game. BE is a re-release of the box version and was released in Europe in December and will be release in the US this month or next. The publisher didn't want to compete with Christmas rerleases. Each existing player that orders the US version will get 3 freebie key codes to give away. The publisher objected to CRS's plan to give us unlimited codes. You can buy the key code online for 19.95 instead of waiting for the box to be released in the US. You still get 30 days free till your CC is charged. The Euro box was too small to have the folding map and CRS made it d/l. I don't know if the US release will be in a bigger box or if it will have a printed manual. You have played ww2ol so you might want to think about giving CRS the full19.95 instead of buying the box and sharing it with the publisher.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 13
RE: Player Reviews - 1/13/2006 1:00:54 AM   
hardcase

FYI..The graphics will never be standalone quality. The view distances require a lot of polygons so they are budgeted. Infantry is, I belive, up to 4k, Tanks are 8k and Aircraft are 15k. The physcis taking place in the background are using all the cpu you can have. Each round is tracked for 3k. It is tracked for angle of penetration, velocity, energy, damage done to a component, angle of exit, speed, energy, damage to next component, exit angle etc till the round is spent or it has traveled 3k. Did it create spalling inside a tank, did it create concussive effects on crew members or another component. The sim will show up to 128 players with biasing toward the enemy. That is a lot of CPU cycles with all the sounds, explosions, flames etc that have to be rendered also. It can be short on eye candy, but the gameplay has no equal.

(in reply to hardcase)
Post #: 14
RE: Player Reviews - 1/13/2006 5:15:43 AM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wooglin

Thanks Joram for the thorough review and history. Couple of questions (if you or anybody knows): is there any material differece between the rerelease (BE) and earlier versions and do you know whether the makers have long term development plans (different battlefronts, new features)?

I'm approaching the expiration of my free period and am deciding whether to sign on for the long haul.

- w

My pleasure, glad someone got something out of that mess i called a review!

As Hardcase said, they are one in the same. This was re-released for a variety of reasons not least of which there are so many improvements it almost feels like a different game.

Having let my subscription lapse last year, I have not also seen the final BE release so can't tell you if there's something special in there either. But as seems to be the spirit of most any game Matrix picks up, the devs have a strong committment to improving and expanding the quality of the gameplay.

I cannot really attest to their future plans though I know there was talk awhile ago about adding a North Africa theatre. However, I have not kept up with the forums (as much) in the past year so I don't know what the current thinking is. Oh, the other thing they were implementing at the time I left was a true TOE. They had the framework in place but I don't think it was fully implemented yet. Perhaps that's one of the new features in Battlefield Europe???

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 15
RE: Player Reviews - 1/13/2006 7:22:02 PM   
elmo3

TOE is next up now that "brigades on the map" has been implemented. North Africa is the next front from what I've heard but I don't know about the timing.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 16
RE: Player Reviews - 1/16/2006 3:52:11 PM   
save

Ground war is pretty much the best you can get - period !

Airwar is biased towards lowlevel fighting / bombing.

Machine requirements are very high - specially for flying - ground war can
be done with a lesser machine.

Hi =hard= long time <S>

Im a Highway To The Reich buff now, and lurking in here waiting for the new COTA game soon to be released !

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 17
RE: Player Reviews - 1/16/2006 7:49:18 PM   
hardcase

Hello Save, the war machine needs your deaths.

(in reply to save)
Post #: 18
RE: Player Reviews - 1/17/2006 2:56:57 AM   
kcflyer

Just got it, like what I see so far.

(in reply to hardcase)
Post #: 19
RE: Player Reviews - 1/17/2006 10:07:48 PM   
Zakhal

If you want to see som ingame action heres a player made movie, tigers and paras: http://home.comcast.net/~regiment/Movie.wmv (17mb)

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to kcflyer)
Post #: 20
RE: Player Reviews - 1/18/2006 11:01:41 PM   
Wooglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

TOE is next up now that "brigades on the map" has been implemented. North Africa is the next front from what I've heard but I don't know about the timing.

What is meant by "TOE" in this context? Does this mean that a brigade has a specific table of equipment (i.e. certain number of riflemen, tanks, guns & etc) and cannot spawn more than that simultaneously? Or do you mean additional units types (mortar, piat/bazooka) being created? I heard about the later but your post seems to imply the former.

- w

p.s. Following up my previous review. I'm now about 2.5 weeks into playing the game and plan to continue the monthly subscription. Additional, annoying computer problems have popped up occassionally but I cannot really complain 'cause my computer is under spec.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 21
RE: Player Reviews - 1/20/2006 8:54:31 PM   
elmo3

I can't speak for the Rats. I believe equipment will be tied to brigades but how it will work would be strictly a guess on my part.

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 22
RE: Player Reviews - 1/20/2006 9:28:32 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

I can't speak for the Rats. I believe equipment will be tied to brigades but how it will work would be strictly a guess on my part.

Tanks are going to be concentrated on the tank brigades (you might see 60 tanks in one tank brigade) while inf brigades wont have tanks at all. Thats the basic idea. Theres much more one can do with TOEs but I dont know how far CRS is planning to go with them.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 23
RE: Player Reviews - 1/20/2006 11:51:39 PM   
hardcase

Follow this link for news on a new free trial.

http://discussions.playnet.com/showthread.php?t=84929

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 24
RE: Player Reviews - 1/26/2006 9:05:00 PM   
armyao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

Tanks are going to be concentrated on the tank brigades (you might see 60 tanks in one tank brigade) while inf brigades wont have tanks at all. Thats the basic idea. Theres much more one can do with TOEs but I dont know how far CRS is planning to go with them.

i've never heard that aspect mentioned before and would be surprised if it were true.

the TOE mentioned is in regards to supply tied to brigades. At this time, it's tied to towns. So, if a brigade moves to a new town, they will have full supply (assuming the town has full supply.. in other words, it could be empty from another brigade that was recently there). TOE will be deteremined by the high commands and then issued to the divisions.. from there they will be assigned to brigades.

RDP is where we will research new weapons and the quantity of weapons. The next version of RDP will essentially be on a set schedule with all sides gaining the level at the same time.. RDP bombing will only affect the quantity of the weapons. There was talk about making it known which factories were producing which weapons so we could attack specific aspects of their production. In other words, we could take out the tank factories if we wanted to limit the amount of tanks they had available to them.

This is a hard game to learn... it usually takes most players at least a month to get the basics down.. no kiddin... there's just so much to the game that has to happen in order to make it all work. Sometimes you will defend a flag, sometimes you'll sit for over an hour waiting for a tank to drive by.. sometimes you'll paradrop near an enemy airfield and do behind the lines airfield harassment.. sometimes you'll drive tanks up from the rear to stock up for attacks.. there's just too much to mention. If anything that's the main weakness of ww2online/BE.. it's hard for the new recruits to understand where to go and what the heck just killed me? LOL.. we have all been there.. we understand.. join a squad. That's the best advice imho. Almost any squad will be happy to have you.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 25
RE: Player Reviews - 1/26/2006 10:23:09 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: armyao
quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

i've never heard that aspect mentioned before and would be surprised if it were true.

the TOE mentioned is in regards to supply tied to brigades. At this time, it's tied to towns. So, if a brigade moves to a new town, they will have full supply (assuming the town has full supply.. in other words, it could be empty from another brigade that was recently there). TOE will be deteremined by the high commands and then issued to the divisions.. from there they will be assigned to brigades.

TOE has been a topic for many years and believe me the grand idea behind it has always been the ability to separate tanks from infantry. CRS devs have said it themselves multiple times in the past and I even had an email conversation with killer about it five years ago.

There is a reason why som brigades are named infantry and som panzer. I hope you realize it now. ;)

Lately CRS has talked about going even further aka giving HCs the power to custom their own TOEs (i.e put all tanks into one brigade or spread them around, etc), but I have my doubts whether they have the courage to do it.

In the past they have said that in the first implemenation of TOEs there will be no customatization but instead just a separation of inf and tank brigades. That alone though is the biggest thing of TOEs.

(in reply to armyao)
Post #: 26
RE: Player Reviews - 1/27/2006 12:03:47 AM   
armyao

pfft.... i dunno how that would work.. well, i guess we'll have to see how it turns out when it happens huh?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 27
RE: Player Reviews - 1/27/2006 12:30:47 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: armyao

pfft.... i dunno how that would work.. well, i guess we'll have to see how it turns out when it happens huh?

We sure do. Personally I have been waiting it for many years now and its finally only month or two away.

(in reply to armyao)
Post #: 28
RE: Player Reviews - 1/27/2006 6:39:03 AM   
MacDR50

I have been playing since 2001. Often the buginess people experience is tied to applications or processes running in the background on their computers. For example I found that having Windows Auto-update on was causing my unit to hang and the game to crash to the desktop.

If you crave instant action and rapid respawning back into the action this is not the game for you. Mostly only in defence situations will that happen and then only if a major attack is underway. One exception is when your side has captured a spawnable point in an enemy controlled town.

As already has been stated your fastest way into action is to look for missions that have a little truck symbol alongside them. I enjoy the slower pace with the occassional rush of urban fighting. If you are the kind of person who can spend 20 minutes crawling on your belly to get alongside a tank so you can blow him up with a satchel charge or are willing to sit in an airplane as a paratrooper or a glider grunt while being flown in for a behind enemy lines drop then you will fit right in.

< Message edited by MacDR50 -- 1/27/2006 6:41:56 AM >

La a'Bhlair s'math na Cairdean
(Friends are good on the day of battle)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 29
RE: Player Reviews - 1/29/2006 6:19:54 PM   
saratoga

quote:

Ground war is pretty much the best you can get - period !

Airwar is biased towards lowlevel fighting / bombing.

Machine requirements are very high - specially for flying - ground war can
be done with a lesser machine.

Navy is also pretty fun but gaining enough rank to sail our capital ship the destroyer is pretty tough. The naval aspect of BE has progressed over the years from the navy being essentially a blue water fleet to more of a marine unit. As it stands now naval personnel do more amphibious/paratroop operations than sailing.

Naval is limited essentially to three vessels, the farmile, the freighter and the destroyer. The farmile is a disappointment to most players if they take them out on the sea's and encounter enemy air or lord forbid a destroyer. The freighter is a cool piece of equipment that can make an impact on a campaign when loaded with it's compliment of 4 player supplied tanks. The island towns in BE aren't equipped with armor so when a freighter offloads tanks and they show up in an opposing forces island towns you open up a serious bee's nest. The destroyer is a nice piece of equipment and is the top tier vessel for navy guys. It's hard to rank up enough to be able to rate for one but it's darn nice when you have the ability to touch off a salvo of 5" guns. Ground guys hate us when we pull into a port and start leveling the town.

The naval aspect does need some work and has been somewhat neglected the past several years. CRS is working on an actual "mission" for the navy in the way of supply chains that effect each countries overall supplies and RDP but it can't enter soon enough for me. They also have to introduce a surviveable blue water vessel beyond the farmile that young players can easily rank to and introduce a smaller troop carrier or barge that allows for easier amphibious operations.

I'm sorry that I didn't know that this 14 day trial was going on or I would have asked some of the Royal Navy to take guys requesting out on a multi-crewed destroyer for action.

All in all WWIIONLINE provides a person interested in war gaming and strategy the most oportunities I've encountered since 1996 in the gaming world.

(in reply to MacDR50)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Battleground Europe: WWII Online >> Player Reviews Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI