Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 10:42:27 AM   
mogami

Hi, When my ship crossed the equator there was not one Shellback among the crew. We thought we would all become Shellbacks without dealing with Neptune. We were wrong. A helicopter with 6 CPO (All Shellbacks) landed on our flightdeck and proceeded to initiate us the old fashioned way.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to kellyc)
Post #: 31
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 11:37:25 AM   
Nick E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Seriously, let me be the first landlubber to thank those who serve in militaries for their sacrifices.

We owe you an unrepayable debt of gratitude.

I wonder if the Chinese users of this forum share the same positive attitude toward their military. I read that prior to the Communist takeover, a military career was considered something only a lowlife would choose. I'm sure that the Communists tried to glorify their military, but with it being involved with things like the Tien An Minh massacre maybe their military is viewed as an oppressing rather than a defending force.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 32
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 2:52:39 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Tremblay
Actually, Mynok you can become a Shellback without joining the military. you need to know the secret first

Well if you are counting civilians, that would make me a Pollywog, but also a Mossback and a member of the Order of the Ditch (just to add a little variety).

(in reply to Wallymanowar)
Post #: 33
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 3:59:04 PM   
Nikademus

Alien posing as Earthman.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 34
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 4:16:42 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Actually, Mynok you can become a Shellback without joining the military. you need to know the secret first

I thought it didn't count unless you went through the ceremony (of Neptune). No ceremony, no certificate...

EDIT: Ah, i suppose you are talking about the Merchant Marine...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 1/11/2006 4:23:12 PM >

(in reply to Wallymanowar)
Post #: 35
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 4:17:58 PM   
jubail1999

Shellback, 1982, USS New Jersey (BB 62). Believe me, teak can be just as hard on you as non-skid when you have to crawl 1600ft on it.

Shellback, 1997, USS Antietam (CG 54). Much more enjoyable the second time around.

Yep, 15 years between crossings. Something always came up in the other deployments that prevented the ship from getting to the equator.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 36
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 5:16:34 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

I thought it didn't count unless you went through the ceremony (of Neptune). No ceremony, no certificate...

That is true. I crossed the equator a gazillion times flying long range patrols but that didn't save me when I did my crossdeck and we crossed the equator. No certificate? Come'ere boy! Ya gots a date wid da king!!! <sigh> Do you know what happens when a chief pollywog goes before the court?

Unfortunately, just like with the CPO initiation, the ceremony has been toned down a lot in the name of political correctness. Bah, puuuey, spit....

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 37
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 5:31:16 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

That is true. I crossed the equator a gazillion times flying long range patrols but that didn't save me when I did my crossdeck and we crossed the equator. No certificate? Come'ere boy! Ya gots a date wid da king!!! <sigh> Do you know what happens when a chief pollywog goes before the court?

Unfortunately, just like with the CPO initiation, the ceremony has been toned down a lot in the name of political correctness. Bah, puuuey, spit....

Chez

I'm not a sailor (or 'mariner'), but I do know that this tradition dates back many many centuries, and is so time honored that down through the centuries - even in wartime - ships 'heave to' (I believe that's the term) and go through the ceremony - just a quick web search is very illuminating...

It's a shame Political Correctness is hitting this too. However, in the past, the tradition has gone through periods of getting out of hand and then becoming more restricted so I doubt any softening now will last very long.

B

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 38
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 5:41:34 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

That, and the murder charges that sometimes resulted...

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 39
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 5:42:38 PM   
dereck

quote:

quote:

Chez

The second time I crossed the equator a new "wog" I knew from photo school had just been assigned to the Midway. Another person who went to A-School with him selected him as his wog but when I learned this guy was planning to use the shilaley line to beat the crap out of him I pulled rank (I was a PH3 and this other guy just an AN) and took the wog as mine.

He went through the initiation - I made sure of that - but it was something he could look back on and laugh about later instead of having bad memories of. A few weeks later I had another run-in with the AN that ended up getting him busted

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 40
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 5:45:07 PM   
MemoryLeak

Shellback. First time was Dec 1969. We just left Singapore to return to PIRAZ duty on Yankee Station and the Captain thought it would be entertaining to take a little detour down across the equator. We crawled on our hands and knees 800 feet along the main deck while the shellbacks used pieces of firehose on us. And of course we met the Royal Baby on the fantail....which was just before the garbage tunnel.

Ah yes... fond memories...

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 41
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 6:10:25 PM   
kfmiller41

Shellback
USS Samuel Gompers AD-38 1991

Most humbling experience in my Navy Career

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to kellyc)
Post #: 42
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 7:02:32 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

quote:

Chez

The "Kinder, Softer, Gentler Navy" is definately not what it was when I joined. The worst was when they started letting females back into the nuclear power program again back when I was stationed af NFAS, Orlando.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for allowing females to serve their country, but there needs to be some common sense used. i.e. You don't make a MM out of someone who dosen't have the upper body strength for it.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 43
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 8:47:56 PM   
mdiehl

Shellhead, wetback, polygrog, whatever. All you fishwannabees are the same to me.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 44
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 9:17:49 PM   
Oldsweat

Golden shellback, myself, plus bluenose.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 45
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 9:27:57 PM   
rtrapasso

What, no Rednoses or Emerald Shellbacks?

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 46
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 11:07:55 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramjet

SHELLBACK:

1981 USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 (Pacific)
1982 USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 (Pacific)
1989 USS Hewitt DD-966 (Pacific)
1994 USS Halyburton FFG-40 (Atlantic)
1998 USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 (Pacific)

hey, shipmate! golden shellback on USS Carl Vinson in '98...separation date was halfway between pearl and sand doggy upon return home...left the nav with my first and only cat shot in a C-2 greyhound...heck of a feeling for a pilot with 1000+ pilot hours to get shot off the deck while sitting backwards...had a sh*t-eatin' grin from ear to ear on that ride though...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Ramjet)
Post #: 47
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 11:13:01 PM   
mogami

Hi, Small World. USS Halyburton FFG-40 1988-1992

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 48
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/11/2006 11:19:30 PM   
Kwik E Mart

ok, have to admit my crust of saltiness is not as thick as i thought...had to google "blue nose"...please forgive a brown-shoe airdale...

ps - "blue nose" reminds me of the name of our officer's "lounge" in the BOQ in Misawa - the "blue balls lounge" ...the air farce was not amused when we packed up and headed home after the deployment - the refrigerator was overturned, the window smashed and various unidenifiable stains were scattered on the carpet...air farce...no sense of humor whatsoever...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 49
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 12:53:30 AM   
crsutton

Ten years in the International Seafarers Union. I am willing to bet that I crossed the line more than anybody here. But, we don't mess with that foolishness on merchant vessels.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to kellyc)
Post #: 50
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 1:04:25 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

Wog, never made it south of Cuba.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick
salutin' demon ensigns,

You saluted the butterbars?!?!?! We usually just had our senior chief give them a spanking...

Only if we met the on the beach, and nobody saw us. Even then, we washed our hands and our hats afterwards.

We were out catching a few rays on the fantail in the Med, when this newly hatched United States Navy Commissioned Officer came harumphing up and tried to get us all to salute. We were, of course, in shorts and shower shoes basically, with the stereo from the ship's laundery blaring out all over the place. The young man - younger than most of us by that time - and just out of Kiddie School at Newport - glared around and said something like "Don't you men salute an officer when you see him." The Old Man stuck his head up over the hatch coaming. Thought that young'un was gonna break his elbow. The Skipper then said. "Okay, men. Salutings taken care of. Resume SunEx." Crazy Dude. Great shiphandler though. The ensign eventually worked out. They assigned him to the Snipes and that's about the last we saw of him for a while.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 51
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 2:29:35 AM   
Wallymanowar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

EDIT: Ah, i suppose you are talking about the Merchant Marine...

I know of quite a few civilian vessels that have conducted the ceremonies, and I believe some cruise lines offer it as an inducement to take their cruises. In order to qualify you do have to be presented to King Neptune and get his blessings

I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
Yogi Berra

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 52
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 2:31:03 AM   
Titanwarrior89

shellback westpac cruise in 68-69

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to kellyc)
Post #: 53
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 2:51:02 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Ten years in the International Seafarers Union. I am willing to bet that I crossed the line more than anybody here. But, we don't mess with that foolishness on merchant vessels.

Dunno - apparently some merchants do (according to my readings on the subject). They say that the ceremonies are as rough as they used to be in the USN (with occasional fatalities.) I would suspect that US companies put an end to this in view of possible litigation. Don't know about other countries though...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 54
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 2:56:14 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

What, no Rednoses or Emerald Shellbacks?
Looks like we have a brown nose though...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 55
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 3:03:12 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

...the air farce was not amused when we packed up and headed home after the deployment - the refrigerator was overturned, the window smashed and various unidenifiable stains were scattered on the carpet...air farce...no sense of humor whatsoever...

That sounds like the Chiefs Mess in the VP quarters in Misawa! Air Force never could see humor in things like that!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 56
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 3:13:08 AM   
dereck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

Wog, never made it south of Cuba.

quote:

salutin' demon ensigns,

You saluted the butterbars?!?!?! We usually just had our senior chief give them a spanking...

Only if we met the on the beach, and nobody saw us. Even then, we washed our hands and our hats afterwards.

We were out catching a few rays on the fantail in the Med, when this newly hatched United States Navy Commissioned Officer came harumphing up and tried to get us all to salute. We were, of course, in shorts and shower shoes basically, with the stereo from the ship's laundery blaring out all over the place. The young man - younger than most of us by that time - and just out of Kiddie School at Newport - glared around and said something like "Don't you men salute an officer when you see him." The Old Man stuck his head up over the hatch coaming. Thought that young'un was gonna break his elbow. The Skipper then said. "Okay, men. Salutings taken care of. Resume SunEx." Crazy Dude. Great shiphandler though. The ensign eventually worked out. They assigned him to the Snipes and that's about the last we saw of him for a while.

Reminds me of the time a fresh Ensign, after an inspection, got all his unit chief's together and said something to the effect that they did good on the inspection but maybe next time they could all have the same color of chevrons instead of some having red and others having gold ... a Master Chief took him in tow and "explained" things to him.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 57
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 4:13:47 AM   
mogami

Hi, I was sweating inside my gunmount doing my preventive maintenance when a new Ensign poked his head in the back and began railing me about how greasy the gun was
"This gun should be clean enough to eat off of" he told me
"Get out of my gunmount knucklehead" was my answer. (I couldn't see him and didn't have a clue who he was till later)

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 58
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 4:17:41 AM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I was sweating inside my gunmount doing my preventive maintenance when a new Ensign poked his head in the back and began railing me about how greasy the gun was
"This gun should be clean enough to eat off of" he told me
"Get out of my gunmount knucklehead" was my answer. (I couldn't see him and didn't have a clue who he was till later)

There was one pilot, an ENS or LTJG, who kept putting in repair reports about some switch not working in the O-F-F position.

He wasn't joking like the maintainance chief first thought either.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 59
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? - 1/12/2006 4:19:53 AM   
Knavey

Got an Order of the Ditch certificate or two floating around somewhere.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI