Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just wondering....Managers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Just wondering....Managers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just wondering....Managers? - 1/12/2006 6:25:02 PM   
Burkowski

I am using PureSim to play a fictional league and am very happy overall with the game and the games (see the "what are you palying?" thread) .... but I have a question: why no provision for named managers? Have I missed it? Seems it would be nice to be able to name, hire/fire/ and track managers through a career? I feel certain this has been discussed previously, but my search of the last 365 on this forum only yielded stuff about managerial styles and preferences... could this be incorporated as part of the "Front Office" display?

Regards to all,

Burkowski
Post #: 1
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/12/2006 7:32:17 PM   
leegra

I like the idea of being able to track manager's career records; perhaps, if necessary, with a editable line, so real names could be used...

On the subject of Managers, I would like to see PS include names and MANAGERIAL PROFILES of current and past managers; managers from today, as well as those most of us are familiar with throughout baseball history. I would like to see the profiles include all the categories on the Manager/GM Tendancies page, adjusted, of course, according to the preferances of each particular manager.

Such manager/coach profiles exist in the Madden series and make it interesting to take teams through the same season, guided by different managers/coaches--trying to determine what results a different team philosopy would produce...

Perhaps PS players could contribute profiles they have created to match real managers, that we could try out. Maybe, post them here, in the Forum...

Lee

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 2
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/12/2006 10:40:13 PM   
Steely Glint

Named managers in PureSim? What a great idea!

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to leegra)
Post #: 3
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/13/2006 5:39:18 AM   
redeck

named managers with differing tendancies gets my vote for 2006.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 4
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/13/2006 9:42:40 PM   
Amaroq

There actually used to be named Managers and named Scouts in PureSim 2003, I believe, and they were taken out due to the added complexity of processing time. The implementation (then) was very basic: a Manager had A-F ratings in how they managed Pitchers, Hitters, Veterans, and Youth development, with impact on happiness, player development, and player aging. A "better" manager cost more of your budget; likewise a better scout. Unfortunately, this just meant that you hired the best manager or scout that you could, period, without much thought about the cost.

I do love (and have posted extensively on, both in this forum and in the old pursim.com forum) the idea of named managers, giving them an impact on the game not by their effect on the development of players, but by their tendencies: how often they steal, hit+run, intentionally walk... basically everything that we currently set via the "Mgr / GM Preferences" screen.

I'd take that a step further by having young (newly generated) managers 'copy' the most successful managers of the era, and I think you'd wind up with manager tendencies evolving over time as they may have historically. (This sort of 'breeding' of future managers is sort of based in the idea of 'genetic algorithms' for AI - and I think it would help the AI-controlled teams to 'learn' from what is successful for human-controlled teams).

I'd also love for the game to use Lahman's list of managers to draw names for managers (in a 'historical' league), or for the game to use former players (in a 'fictional' league), even sometimes former minor-leaguer-only players, with a link to 'playing stats' from the manager card.

One question that would have to be answered is "What about players who prefer to manage the games themselves?" - I'd love to see them be able to create their own manager, essentially playing as "Manager / GM" rather than just "GM".

And of course, any time Steely Glint and I agree, you know the idea is golden.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 5
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/13/2006 10:51:34 PM   
redeck

im in your boat here amaroq, and for puresimers who want to manage their own games, they can turn that option off, and then manage against the great managers off all time instead of against defualt AI settings. sound like a good option for them as well

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 6
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/14/2006 6:05:15 PM   
Burkowski

All of the above sounds great, and I would be a happy recipient of same... for my purposes, since I am playing a fictional league over many seasons, with imaginary players generated randomly and edited by me to suit my preferences of name, skills, region, etc., I would be happy if I just had the option to have a named manager, be able to set his tendencies (a la the present options), hire/fire, and have PureSim track his season and career record, just like a player...

Burkowski

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 7
RE: Just wondering....Managers? - 1/14/2006 8:35:27 PM   
puresimmer

Yes managers...

I actually use to have them in the game but removed them (along with scouts) back in 2004 when I was streamlining the PureSim experience.

I too agree that Managers that had their own "personality" would be a neat idea. I'll put it on the list of possibilities for PS 2006. I'll warn you though, with multiple levels of Minors and support for a baseballreference.com type interactive almanac, I have a lot to do already!

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Just wondering....Managers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI