Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Name that MWiF counter - 28

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Name that MWiF counter - 28 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 9:09:38 AM   
Greyshaft

Which MWiF leader admitted he only spent 10% of his effort in fighting his enemies?

/Greyshaft
Post #: 1
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 9:13:23 AM   
dpstafford

Tito?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 2
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 10:07:11 AM   
dhatchen

Douglas MacArthur?

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 3
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 10:45:19 AM   
Greyshaft

Tito = No
MacArthur = No

/Greyshaft

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 4
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 11:01:29 AM   
tiikki

Ike?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 5
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 12:35:29 PM   
Davidt

Sounds like Rommel trying to persuade the german high command to send him Supplies in Africa - but since hes already been taken in a previus thread, my guess will be yamamoto fighting it out for ressources allocated to the RJN as opposed to the japanese land army.

/David

(in reply to tiikki)
Post #: 6
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 3:03:14 PM   
mmn

Shot from the hip: Chiang?

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 7
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 4:21:42 PM   
beachbum

Damn, I do not remember his name. But an Italian commander on the Greece front was fired for writing filmmusic while at the front.
But he is not a counter :-(

< Message edited by beachbum -- 1/16/2006 4:24:32 PM >

(in reply to mmn)
Post #: 8
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 8:22:52 PM   
Greyshaft

Tito = No
MacArthur = No
Ike = No
Rommel = No
Yamamoto = No
Chiang = No

HINT:
The leader in question was not wasting his time. He just had many tasks to do and he did not see that fighting his enemies was his most important task. Incidentally, all the troops under his command also spent only 10% of their time fighting the enemy.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to beachbum)
Post #: 9
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 9:30:49 PM   
gyxurian

As a WAG, how about "Vinegar" Joe Stilwell? (Commander, China Burma India Theater; Commander, Northern Combat Area Command; Chief of Staff to Chiang Kai-Shek; Deputy Allied Supreme Commander).

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 10
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/16/2006 9:38:48 PM   
Glen Felzien

Wavell? Lots of time fighting diseases in between fighting the Japanese.

If not Wavell, how about Wingate?

< Message edited by Glen Felzien -- 1/16/2006 9:39:16 PM >

Glen

(in reply to gyxurian)
Post #: 11
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 12:16:30 AM   
buckyzoom

I like Stilwell too. He spent a lot of time dealing with Chiang's bureaucracy and training the Chinese.

(in reply to Glen Felzien)
Post #: 12
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 10:54:09 AM   
Greyshaft

Not Stilwell or Wavell. This MWiF Leader could have spent more time fighting his enemies if he had chosen to but he spent his efforts pursuing other objectives.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to buckyzoom)
Post #: 13
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 12:25:52 PM   
Davidt

Could it be De Gaulle. He must have had plenty of administrative and diplomatic tasks to accomplish!

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 14
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 12:53:29 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davidt

Could it be De Gaulle. He must have had plenty of administrative and diplomatic tasks to accomplish!

Good reasoning but not the man. The Leader I am describing actually came up with the 10% figure and also allocated percentages to his other two major tasks.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 15
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 1:26:32 PM   
Recon_slith

I'd have to go for Mao. Politics and indoctrination were higher on the agenda.

That and trying to lay as many peasant girls as possible. It's good to be the Chairman.

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 16
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 6:11:32 PM   
Froonp

I knew I was better at planes rather than leaders.
I have no idea !!!
Except listing all the known HQ of WiF, I can't help

(in reply to Recon_slith)
Post #: 17
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 7:45:50 PM   
terje439

I was thinking Guderian after he was reinstated, but hardly see that being correct thou

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 18
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/17/2006 8:30:08 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Recon

I'd have to go for Mao. Politics and indoctrination were higher on the agenda.

Aged 46 in 1939. Born into a prosperous peasant family, Mao Tse-Tung was expelled from three schools and did not finish his formal education until the age of twentyfive. He interspersed this schooling with service in the Hunan Provincial Army during the 1911 revolution. By 1920 he had a role as head of a primary school however his political interests were paramount and his involvement in political and military revolution led to his arrest by the Nationalist government in 1927. Mao was sentenced to death but escaped from his guards and joined a guerilla group in the mountains of southeast China where he was elected head of the Chinese Soviet Republic. His political control over the Party was never completely secure and his problems multiplied dramatically when the Nationalist government of Chiang Kai-Shek launched an offensive against the communist mountain stronghold in October 1934. The famous 9,600km 'Long March' was the result, involving a year of travelling and fighting and a casualty rate of 90% among the participants. During this march Mao consolidated his hold over the Party and from 1936 the government offensive against the communists petered out. When the Second Sino-Japanese war begun in July 1937 the government realized it could not fight both the Japanese and Mao and an uneasy alliance was formed against the Japanese. Mao used this time to consolidate his personal power and broaden the support for the communist cause. By his own admission only 10% of the efforts of the Communist Party during this time were spent fighting the Japanese. By 1940 the communists had recovered sufficiently to resume their attacks on government troops. It was an unusual war with Communists and the Nationalists sparring with each other in between avoiding the sparodic Japanese offensives. The outbreak of the wider Pacific War did not greatly affect the growth of the Communist Party although it did lead to greater aid given to the Nationalists by the USA. In 1944 the USA sent a special diplomatic envoy (the 'Dixie Mission') to the communists that produced a favorable report regarding Mao's popularity and his ability to govern China, but there is no evidence that the USA seriously considered abandoning their support for Chiang Kai-Shek. Russia's declaration of war on the Japanese in 1945 allowed the Communist to consolidate their hold in northern China. Despite massive external aid from the USA the Nationalists lost the ensuing Civil War and retreated to the island of Taiwan. Mao declared the founding of the Peoples Republic of China on October 1st, 1949 and (despite occasional setbacks) served as its leader in a variety of roles until his death in 1976. Mao’s greatest strength was his ability to successfully juggle the conflicting priorities of the many diplomatic, political and military battles he faced. Against this must be measured his megalomania and his political ruthlessness which led to the deaths of tens of millions of Chinese during poorly planned social (the ‘Cultural Revolution’ ) and economic (the ‘Great Leap Forward’) experiments.(499)

/Greyshaft

Post #: 19
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 1/18/2006 6:26:53 AM   
Neilster

quote:

That and trying to lay as many peasant girls as possible.

You're not wrong. Good thing there were so many of them because he was a greedy old bastard.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 20
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 5/17/2006 12:30:28 AM   
PanzerMax

I believe there is some dispute as to whether Mao was the cause of the great famines. There was a horrendous drought during that time as well. Unfortunetly, this issue is so political that it may well be impossible to debate because one can attack sources as being freindly to a leftist or rightist ideology. I would consider not including such information in the game.

Perhaps of interest: http://www.etext.org/Politics/MIM/bookstore/books/china/macfarquhar.html

Against this must be measured his megalomania and his political ruthlessness which led to the deaths of tens of millions of Chinese during poorly planned social (the ‘Cultural Revolution’ ) and economic (the ‘Great Leap Forward’) experiments.(499)

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 21
RE: Name that MWiF counter - 28 - 5/17/2006 2:43:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: PanzerMax

I believe there is some dispute as to whether Mao was the cause of the great famines. There was a horrendous drought during that time as well. Unfortunetly, this issue is so political that it may well be impossible to debate because one can attack sources as being freindly to a leftist or rightist ideology. I would consider not including such information in the game.

Perhaps of interest: http://www.etext.org/Politics/MIM/bookstore/books/china/macfarquhar.html

Against this must be measured his megalomania and his political ruthlessness which led to the deaths of tens of millions of Chinese during poorly planned social (the ‘Cultural Revolution’ ) and economic (the ‘Great Leap Forward’) experiments.(499)

A good point. Thanks.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to PanzerMax)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Name that MWiF counter - 28 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI