Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Would like to try some games in 8.043

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Would like to try some games in 8.043 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/22/2006 3:04:56 PM   
VikingNo2

5-8k battles
Post #: 1
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/22/2006 7:46:57 PM   
Swamprat

Ok, the complicated bit. Do you mean 8.403 vanilla? Or Programmer's Convention OOBs? Or 8.403 with Depot Mod batch altered with Programmer's convention? Or 8.403 with new, ready altered Depot Mod?

This is going to get so complicated.

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 2
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/22/2006 10:00:14 PM   
IBTyrone

You guys gonna do an AAR? AFAIK, you are two of the better PBEMers out there. I wouldn't mind seeing a piece of that action. I may be the only one, though.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 3
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/22/2006 10:37:46 PM   
Swamprat

We'll book you for a private showing.

Gee, I hope nobody reads that the wrong way.

quote:

you are two of the better PBEMers out there

Viking is. I'm pretty much untested. I just write a good piece, that's all.

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 4
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/22/2006 11:07:42 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swamprat

We'll book you for a private showing.
Gee, I hope nobody reads that the wrong way.

Awwww...now don't get all "Brokeback Mountain" on me now...

quote:

you are two of the better PBEMers out there

Viking is. I'm pretty much untested. I just write a good piece, that's all.

Which is why it should be all the more interesting. If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 5
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 3:02:08 AM   
VikingNo2

quote:

Programmer's convention

What is it?

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 6
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 4:21:33 AM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

quote:

Programmer's convention

What is it?

Goblin explained it in plain English over in the training forums under the AA thread. He said it was a way to set the OOBs back to the settings the original programmers intended--before all the subsequent OOB tweaks by folks who may not have understood the logic behind the programming. I believe you can reset the OOBs using the programmers convention by using the new OOB editor included with 8.403 (except it wasn't bundled with it in the early release).

If you need clarification, ask Gunny or Mike Wood. Gunny has been the one pushing the conventions.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 7
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 1:58:30 PM   
VikingNo2

1. Do you mean 8.403 vanilla? I think so.

2. Or Programmer's Convention OOBs? No I don't edit any units .

3. Or 8.403 with Depot Mod batch altered with Programmer's convention? See #2

4. Or 8.403 with new, ready altered Depot Mod? See #3 so you can see #2

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 8
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 2:57:42 PM   
Swamprat

Just wondered Viking because this reply that you gave to the thread on 8.403 -
quote:

Well thanks for the info Gob, they where adjusted over time for a reason now just because it would spice up games play I don't want super troops I just want to play countries the get to shoot and move
- was, I thought, a reference to the new batch editing facility in 8.403 OOB editor.

If you don't use the OOB editor, then 8.403 is virtually identical to 8.4 really, with the same issues over minor nations ratings.

I think that 8.403, coupled with the ready made new Depot OOBs (the new ones with programmer conventions), will make a really good version for PBEM since the toned down units will make more nations playable, and it's an easy one for lots of PBEMailers to agree to have on their computer.

Without the new programmers conventions, 8.403 won't make any previously unplayable nations any more playable.
For vanilla games, 8.3 will still be better - for PBEM anyway.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 9
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 4:38:24 PM   
VikingNo2

In the programmers convention + New Depot Mod are the moral/exp/leadership ratings different ?

If I use the new Depot mod and put it in a 8.403 install will that get me to the version your are refering to ?

I'm up to for or 5 installs of SPWAW on my CPU its getting a little frustrating/confusing

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 10
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/24/2006 9:41:56 PM   
Swamprat

quote:

I'm up to for or 5 installs of SPWAW on my CPU its getting a little frustrating/confusing

I know what you mean mate, it's getting like that for me.

As far as I can tell, Alby has announced the introduction of the latest version of the Depot Mod, to which he has already applied the Programmer's Conventions. It's only available as a Mod + the vehicles at the moment. Personally I'm waiting for the Mod without the new vehicle sets, but the thread says that it ain't ready yet. Anyway, this new Mod version, shoved into 8.403, should be the version I am referring to. (Using Alby's Mod saves the rest of us having to faff about with the OOB editor, nation by nation - of course, you have to want Alby's Mod, which isn't vanilla)

From what I can deduce after reading what Gunny has to say, the EXP/MORALE ratings in 8.403 appear exactly the same as in version 8.4. All that can be said is that, with the OOBs taken DOWN a peg or three by the Programmers Convention, the same exp/morale settings might not feel so bad. In other words, when the programmers convention is applied, then Italy at 35 EXP won't suck as much.
But to perfectly honest, I don't know how this programmers convention thing will affect the game (which is why I was curious to do a PBEM to test it). I don't think it will make much difference at all to the lower nations (might even make them worse). I think it might tone down the more powerful nations though. But that's about it.
Apart from the minor improvements, I think 8.403 will still be a candidate for switching off the Nation Ratings.

So maybe, knowing the issues you've brought up in the past, 8.403 isn't the answer. Maybe Alby's (programmer conventionised) Mod downloaded into 8.3 is the answer, thus playing with new settings while keeping 8.3 EXP ratings.

This is why I fear that this whole upgrade business will prove to be a minefield for PBEMailers. Apart from the odd test game, I think I'll probably just stick to H2H and 8.3 - at least I know I'll find opponents out there.

I could just play with myself of course....

....but the doc told me I'd go blind.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 11
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/25/2006 12:10:29 AM   
VikingNo2

Just got a explanation at the Depot to use the programers coventions you need to open the editor in the mod and the select each OOB you want to change, its a one way change so you need to save the original OOBs if you want them. Which means you could have a game where you German OOB is set to programers convention and the Russian OOB is not.

I'm going to have to do some stuff on my computer to keep track.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 12
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/26/2006 6:14:39 AM   
Major Destruction

I stand to be corrected but AFAIK, the latest Alby mod 2 release from Jan 25th or thereabouts is already converted to Programmers Conventions.

Using this OOB set, 5K will buy a Brigade; 8K a Division

Finally, if you are using 8.403 (and this is still evolving slowly) simply decide on the Nations, - let's say Germany and Britain - set up the battle then send the save files as you normally would to your opponent. Also include your OOB's 70 and 77 so that he is using the same files as you. So long as those two are the same in both computers, you'll get no violation reports.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 13
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/27/2006 1:03:36 AM   
VikingNo2

OK here is what I got I think, 8.403 with the latest update (including the Oob77 update)

I think this has the "programmers conventions" already in it.

No who wants to play some games

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 14
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 1/30/2006 1:47:25 AM   
MindSpy

quote:

ORIGINAL: IBTyrone

You guys gonna do an AAR? AFAIK, you are two of the better PBEMers out there. I wouldn't mind seeing a piece of that action. I may be the only one, though.

Hello and yes, Viking No 2 is a pretty tough to beat outfit. Only the best in his man's army, especially when he is the Yanks! It would be good reading and informative.

I was reading the other posts and after realizing there were 3 mod's; a programmers convention; original version with Prog.Conv.; in addition to the beta 8.403; H2H ... egad!!
Either this is heaven and you are singing how green is your valley or like me, your head is spinning from a lack of familiarity with the various mod's-versions.

Need a splash of Coca-cola [I came by after accidentally deleting 68 gigs from my HD following having left Partition Magic running on its own with too many tasks - oh boo hoo hoo hoo!]

MindSpy
Gus

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 15
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 2/17/2006 6:41:05 AM   
PimpYourAFV

Are you still looking for a PBEM game viking? We were going to do a Finland vs Russia scrap awhile ago but we lost contact somewhere. I use the version 8.4 (that's what it says on the intro screen) and Alby's multidepot mod thingy I think #2 or whatever so no programming conventions or the new stuff.

(in reply to MindSpy)
Post #: 16
RE: Would like to try some games in 8.043 - 2/21/2006 5:18:35 PM   
VikingNo2

Sure, here is what I got on my CPU

H2H (spotting 80% the rest default)
8.3 clean (default)
8.3 with multi mod (default)
8.4 with new multimod (which has programmers conventions already built in) (default)
and
7.1 (default)

Preferences vis 20-22
True troop on rarity off
10% arty

Air, infiltrator's and mines(prelaid) just let me know don't care one way or another on these

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Would like to try some games in 8.043 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI