Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Maps for MWIF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps for MWIF Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 8:03:24 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I meant to add - The labels for the sea areas are large, but I think that works out very well. When the map is viewed at zoom level 2 (50%) all the names of the sea areas are easily readable. I thought about trying to make that happen for zoom level 1, but it was too much. [There isn't much actual selecting of units possible at zoom level 1 anyway.] The reason this is important is that when moving the naval units, you want to be able to have large areas of the map visible (low zoom level).

My darling wife asked if there were going to be compass roses in the empty sea areas (the old fashioned N-S-E-W compasses like on maps of the 17th century). That raises some interesting alternative possibilities too. A lot of the sea hexes are unimportant - large swatches of them - and some artwork could be placed there. Suggestions?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 361
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 8:30:12 PM   
Greyshaft

* Terrain Effects Chart
* A diagram explaining the little colored lights at the top of units (uh... which one means unsupplied?)
* An autographed picture of Steve getting a hole-in-one.

/Greyshaft

Post #: 362
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 8:46:30 PM   
dhatchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

We can put that one beside the sea monsters and other mythical creatures.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 363
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:02:13 PM   
Anendrue

Sea horses pulling a chariot with Posideon and his trident.

Atlas holding up the world.

Old naval ship wheel.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 364
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:06:06 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhatchen

quote:

We can put that one beside the sea monsters and other mythical creatures.

I've done it twice. But only once with witnesses. It's shooting a round of even par that still eludes me (4 times at 1 over par).

Steve

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 365
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:09:25 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

* Terrain Effects Chart
* A diagram explaining the little colored lights at the top of units (uh... which one means unsupplied?)

How do you-all feel about placing something up in the northern reaches of Siberia - far away from any possible source of supply (and therefore movement and combat)? I have this vague sense that a Terrain Effects Chart should be on land.

Steve

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 366
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:11:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Old naval ship wheel.

I really like the wheel.

Perhaps something cicra WW II?

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 367
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:16:18 PM   
dhatchen

I think that would be fine.

And, Yes, the TEC should be on land if the location won't interfere with play.

Reminds me of an old Eastern Front game where the Russian north flank was best anchoured on the TEC.

In a spirit of Greyshaft, i.e., Trivia, can anybody tell me what that game was...

Post #: 368
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:35:09 PM   
Anendrue

TEC in Siberia sounds good. Maybe a skinned border of frozen icicles.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 369
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:37:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhatchen

I think that would be fine.

And, Yes, the TEC should be on land if the location won't interfere with play.

Reminds me of an old Eastern Front game where the Russian north flank was best anchoured on the TEC.

In a spirit of Greyshaft, i.e., Trivia, can anybody tell me what that game was...

War in the East, where the true value of preserving a 1-4 infantry unit was taught to all war gamers.

Steve

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 370
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 9:54:17 PM   
Ballista

Please don't deface any part of the land map with any charts (or at least make them toggle-able). I guess I'm a map purist, but if it can be moved on (even if you get flipped every turn) it should not be blocked at all. I hated board games that defaced the land map with charts. As for the sea areas, chart them up as much as desired :)

Post #: 371
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 10:01:41 PM   
c92nichj

quote:

* Terrain Effects Chart

I think it would be better that if you could access those from the help menu. I wouldn't want to scroll to siberia each time I want to reference the TEC.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 372
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 10:13:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ballista

Please don't deface any part of the land map with any charts (or at least make them toggle-able). I guess I'm a map purist, but if it can be moved on (even if you get flipped every turn) it should not be blocked at all. I hated board games that defaced the land map with charts. As for the sea areas, chart them up as much as desired :)

Definitely an option - as part of the player interface. All glitz should be options to my way of thinking. [There is a LOT of Siberia though. I don't think there are enough turns in the game to get a land unit across it all on foot.]

Steve

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 373
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 10:15:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj

quote:

* Terrain Effects Chart

I think it would be better that if you could access those from the help menu. I wouldn't want to scroll to siberia each time I want to reference the TEC.

Yes, I agree. But there is no real reason to not have both (other than coding it). Access a copy from the help menu when you are in immediate need. Peruse the on map copy when you are idle, (e.g., waiting for the other player(s) to move).

Steve

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 374
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/26/2006 11:07:53 PM   
YohanTM2

I agree with keeping the TEC charts off the land. What about a pop-up window that can be moved around to not block units?

Rob

Post #: 375
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 12:14:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Mobile informational screens is a good idea.

The area of Siberia that (conservatively) would never be reached by any unit is 90 hexes wide by 30 high. That is comparable to the area from Portugal to the Caspian Sea, Oslo to Rome. Or, viewed another way, roughly 1/4 of the map's width and 1/6 of its height. At zoom level 2 (50%) the whole screen is full of hexes that will never be in play - and can be scrolled a full width again either left of right.

But it doesn't really matter to me. There was just some feeling of not wanting to 'waste' the space (I'll just blame that on my parents, either poor genes or poor upbringing).

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 376
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 12:28:02 AM   
YohanTM2

chuckle

Post #: 377
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 2:26:41 PM   
Caranorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

How do you-all feel about placing something up in the northern reaches of Siberia - far away from any possible source of supply (and therefore movement and combat)? I have this vague sense that a Terrain Effects Chart should be on land.

Sounds good to me, as long as no sensible player would ever think of ending up with troops up there.

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis

Post #: 378
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 2:29:46 PM   
Caranorn

quote:

It's not always that easy, I'm currently preparing a board game map and there is one area that is really unecessary for game play and badly documented (all the old maps leave that area blank as nothing happened there), so I will use that space to place some map related charts or the turn track. While a fully drawn map would look great it'd be neither necessary nor feasible in this case.

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 379
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 2:34:25 PM   
Caranorn

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Old naval ship wheel.

I really like the wheel.

How about a small image of a sinking cruiser, elsewhere a tanker in flames, somewhere else a lonely periscope amid some waves, maybe a lonely patrol plane in the next sea zone. I'm sure some appropriate photos could be found and reduced to appropriate size ((clipping anything irrelevant, or even redrawing it by hand)). It would certainly give an impression of the war at sea.

Oh and I forgot, also the occasional convoy sailing intact. And not to forget, the yacht Harry will buy once he has earned millions from selling MWiF;-) (a bit anachronistic but it'd make a nice easter egg).

P.S.: If not harry's yacht maybe the one from the Nimitz movie, just as a little joke, or maybe the Nimitz itself.

Post #: 380
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 4:24:27 PM   
c92nichj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caranorn

quote:

Sounds good to me, as long as no sensible player would ever think of ending up with troops up there.

I wouldn't mind having nice graphics there (some tanks in frozen mud comes to mind), but I don't see a reason to have charts and other info that you need to reference on the map.
On a paper game sure there space is limited, but in a computergame I cannot really see why you would print charts on the map, they would be much better to get using the help menu.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 381
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 6:14:18 PM   
Froonp

quote:

My darling wife asked if there were going to be compass roses in the empty sea areas (the old fashioned N-S-E-W compasses like on maps of the 17th century). That raises some interesting alternative possibilities too. A lot of the sea hexes are unimportant - large swatches of them - and some artwork could be placed there. Suggestions?

Tell your darling wife that we also need to see all those little hexdots that are in the sea. They allow us to count the ranges for our darling planes enroute to our bad enemies .
So please, put any artwork that you want at sea, but let the hexdots be visible.
Those compasses you describes are good ideas as some others I read here too, but please leave the hexdots visible. Put the art on the background.
Will there be different graphics for the seas under the different weathers ? Would be pretty too.

Post #: 382
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 6:20:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj
I wouldn't mind having nice graphics there (some tanks in frozen mud comes to mind), but I don't see a reason to have charts and other info that you need to reference on the map.
On a paper game sure there space is limited, but in a computergame I cannot really see why you would print charts on the map, they would be much better to get using the help menu.

It has to do with knowledge of how to acquire information and the requisite keystrokes/mouse clicks.

When you have a good undestanding of how the help menu provides information, and assuming it does so with a minimum of fuss and bother, that is the place to get charts et al. Actually, CWIF had a drop down list of "Information" which seems like a good idea to keep fpr MWIF.

However, when you are new to software, solving the problem of how to get help can be harder than the original problem you are trying to solve. Personally, I have a going in expectation that any help system will provide me with zero help, just 10 - 15 minutes of additional frustration, until I give up on it. Going to the help menu is a last resort.

So, having some commonly needed information placed on the map, positions it where even new players (first time looking at the game) are likely to come across it, and know where to look if they what to examine it in the future. It can also serve as a subtle attempt to get the players interested in the underlying tables and charts that drive movement and combat - get them to go read up on the rules.

Steve

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 383
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 6:25:04 PM   
Froonp

quote:

* Terrain Effects Chart

I'd prefer to have it in a menu.

quote:

Same. In a menu.

quote:

This is a must. You must have some eastern eggs hidden in the program.

For example, do you know that there are easter eggs on the SiF counters ships silhouettes ?
Tom Cleaveland listed them nearly 6 years ago :

In extremely small type on three of the ship silhouettes are the following bits of text (expand to 1600% to see):
CV Midway: "Perrettus Maximus"
CV Enterprise: "Lance - Semper Fi"
BB Montana: "Neil's BFG"
BB Vittorio Veneto: "Beth Queman"
BB Littorio: "Leilani"
BB Impero: "Jack Greene"
BB Girg. Averoff (Greek): "Belisarius"
0.10.0.0.3.2 CW Transport: "Holy Grail"
CV Indefatiguable: "BGS Lotus"
CV Ark Royal: "Anyway Amigo..."
BB Lion: "Nich Hills"
BB Hood: "Rick"
BB Bismarck: "ScheissBvB"
BB Scharnhorst: "Lerch"
CV Graf Zeppelin: "KaiservonMartin"
BB Yamato: "GPO1" (on the bow instead of the stern)
BB Musashi: "Haku-shi"
BB October Revolution: "Comrade Spencer"

This is visible on the PDF countersheets provided n the WiF Companion CD, at 1600% zoom.

Look :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 384
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 6:28:02 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Maybe navigation instruments used in WWII, as you can see them on a navigation tables of the warships & subs of the time.

Post #: 385
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 6:31:00 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Well, scrolling to siberia to read it would be a pain in the ...
Edit : Moreover, if one day the chart changes a little, and that it is changed in the game, there is 90% chances that the graphic is not changed (forgotten or too hard to change) and that it will be wrong.

I'd prefer if there were a couple of tiny humorous graphics in those remote areas. A Polar bear chasing a russian Soldier ?

< Message edited by Froonp -- 1/27/2006 6:33:03 PM >

Post #: 386
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 7:44:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Tell your darling wife that we also need to see all those little hexdots that are in the sea. They allow us to count the ranges for our darling planes enroute to our bad enemies .
So please, put any artwork that you want at sea, but let the hexdots be visible.
Those compasses you describes are good ideas as some others I read here too, but please leave the hexdots visible. Put the art on the background.
Will there be different graphics for the seas under the different weathers ? Would be pretty too.

I was thinking of the Amundsen Sea, Ross Sea, , Southwest Pacific, South Atlantic, South Indian Ocean, West Southern Ocean, Southwest Indian Ocean (far southern part), and Cape Novegia. Essentially, the sea areas at the bottom of the map. Though some of the long range, extended range air units can reach the sea dots in those areas, they are unlikely to be coming in from the south or passing through. Keeping the top couple of rows of sea dots clear is all that is needed for game play.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 387
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 7:54:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Well, scrolling to siberia to read it would be a pain in the ...
Edit : Moreover, if one day the chart changes a little, and that it is changed in the game, there is 90% chances that the graphic is not changed (forgotten or too hard to change) and that it will be wrong.

I'd prefer if there were a couple of tiny humorous graphics in those remote areas. A Polar bear chasing a russian Soldier ?

With the global map displayed, it is only a single click away. I also intend to have map views that the player can save and jump to with a single mouse click('favorites' if you will).

Chasing a German soldier might be better?

Easter eggs are even farther down on my list of priorities than most things.

The reason I am thinking about adding the odd graphic to the map is that there are going to be some graphics for the opening screens (when the program in installed, executed for the first time). My thought was to take copies of them and place them about on the map. It bothers me that the opening screens usually only get seen a couple of times and then disappear from the player's view forever - a waste of artwork.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 388
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 7:58:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Maybe navigation instruments used in WWII, as you can see them on a navigation tables of the warships & subs of the time.

Sounds good.

Navigation charts .. another possibility.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 389
RE: Maps for MWIF - 1/27/2006 11:24:53 PM   
Ballista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caranorn

quote:

It's not always that easy, I'm currently preparing a board game map and there is one area that is really unecessary for game play and badly documented (all the old maps leave that area blank as nothing happened there), so I will use that space to place some map related charts or the turn track. While a fully drawn map would look great it'd be neither necessary nor feasible in this case.

Easily understandable. And for a paper map considerably so. I just want to move my 3-3's around the edge of the 100+ attrition column.... (WARNING obscure TR reference)...

< Message edited by Ballista -- 1/27/2006 11:28:30 PM >

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps for MWIF Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI