Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Note to Non-Native English Speakers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Note to Non-Native English Speakers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 2:59:02 AM   
KG Erwin

I have been truly impressed by the ability of some of our foreign members to express themselves clearly in the English language. At times, it puts some native English speakers to shame with their bad grammar and atrocious spelling. No names need to be mentioned.

Post #: 1
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 5:59:18 AM   
m10bob

Uhhh....I thought being from West Virginia was one of the states considered "honorary foreign citizen", (another, of course being Texas.)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 6:21:01 AM   
KG Erwin

Of course, Bob. I'm proud to be a West Virginian, and in case you didn't know, my wife was born in Texas. Our daughter has a very interesting genetic makeup -- she's musically talented and very outspoken. She has the best (and worst) of her parents' personalities.
I'm definitely gonna have an interesting time in helping her reach her potential.

Now, back on topic, I'm impressed by guys like Puukkoo and Einar and many others whose native language isn't English. They are easily understood, at least in writing. Talking to them may be entirely different-- you think about it, American English is VERY hard for those who can't say "the" or "those". The "th" sound is damn near impossible for many non-natives. I have the same problem with German umlautted vowels, like ü or ö .

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 1/30/2006 6:38:38 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 2:47:11 PM   
Puukkoo

Thanks for your appreciation Sir!

Yes, you have not heard me actually ever speaking in English. Anyway you should be prepared to take at least some of your words back. My English is an horrible mixture of American and British sounds.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 3:31:15 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey Puukkoo.

The other point I think that needs to be made here is that most of us, Americans at least, only speak one language, English. I have a great amount of respect for anyone who even attempts to speak or write a language other than their native language. And Gunny is correct--you do it very well.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 5
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 3:38:09 PM   
Terminus

Checking back in after a long absence...

Much of the reason for the language skills of people like Puukkoo and myself is that the school system in Western Europe has always made a big effort to teach foreign languages, something which is more or less absent in the US system. I myself speak, aside from Danish, English, German and French fluently, and can get by to some small degree in Spanish.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 6
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 4:09:05 PM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Checking back in after a long absence...

Much of the reason for the language skills of people like Puukkoo and myself is that the school system in Western Europe has always made a big effort to teach foreign languages, something which is more or less absent in the US system. I myself speak, aside from Danish, English, German and French fluently, and can get by to some small degree in Spanish.

And as a Danish, you'll probably know something about Norwegian and Swedish too...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 1/30/2006 4:26:57 PM   
Terminus

Well, yeah...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 8
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/1/2006 7:14:07 AM   
Korpraali V

For me this - and the Depot - has been a great chance to practice and develope my English writing and understanding.

(Still having some problems with at/from/on/in/for/of etc.)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/1/2006 7:54:43 AM   
junk2drive

I was born in Michigan but my parents and family were all from West "by god" Virginia. And no, Kenny and I and the rest of the state are not related (maybe).
I too am amazed at the non native English speakers that post in forums that I visit and when I correspond with them. They have raised the bar for me to capitalise letters, use punctuation, and spell check.
I am also appalled at the people from the USA, Canada, Australia and especially the UK.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 10
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/1/2006 8:17:14 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I was born in Michigan but my parents and family were all from West "by god" Virginia. And no, Kenny and I and the rest of the state are not related (maybe).
I too am amazed at the non native English speakers that post in forums that I visit and when I correspond with them. They have raised the bar for me to capitalise letters, use punctuation, and spell check.
I am also appalled at the people from the USA, Canada, Australia and especially the UK.

What county in West Virginia is your family from?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/2/2006 1:48:14 AM   
acrosome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

Thanks for your appreciation Sir!

Yes, you have not heard me actually ever speaking in English. Anyway you should be prepared to take at least some of your words back. My English is an horrible mixture of American and British sounds.

But, hell, if you know enough to write "an horrible" instead of "a horrible" then you are already ahead of 95% of Americans... myself included, most of the time.

But you did learn British English initially, correct? Very few people learn American English in school.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 12
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/2/2006 6:21:32 PM   
Puukkoo

Yes, it was very much like "BBC News" English at school. I don't really know why I did write "an horrible".

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to acrosome)
Post #: 13
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 5:53:12 AM   
sabrejack

quote:

Why you for talking about us like we don't talk proper?

Racist.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 7:19:19 AM   
Major_Mess

quote:

Please elaborate for us colonials J2J, je nes comprende................ eh!

Appalled at what exactly one wonders?

Huh?

Huh?

Major Mess

(I've got your back SabreJack)

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 7:29:39 AM   
chief

Ah yes the American Lingo ......Just where did it come from ?

From England, France, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Scotland, Mexico, Cuba, etc. etc. and oh yeah Kemo Sabe the American Indians. It may have started off English, but it lost something in the translation.

My humble apoligies to those not covered by etc.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 16
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 9:18:18 AM   
Cyanide

Wow. I'm amazed that some of you don't naturally speak English. In fact, this is one of the most literate forums I've ever been part of. No usage of "u" and "ur", people capitalizing correctly. It's a breath of fresh air compared to 99.5% of the "intarweb".

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 17
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 3:12:33 PM   
sabrejack

Don't forget that the US of A is also the land that has colleges where you can learn to speak (and write?) in Klingon...

200 million geeks can't be wrong...

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 18
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/8/2006 9:01:53 PM   
Afrika Korps

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabrejack

Don't forget that the US of A is also the land that has colleges where you can learn to speak (and write?) in Klingon...

200 million geeks can't be wrong...

That's tlhIngan Hol, you stinking pitaH!

DAK

(in reply to sabrejack)
Post #: 19
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/15/2006 12:13:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

ORIGINAL:
Yes, you have not heard me actually ever speaking in English. Anyway you should be prepared to take at least some of your words back.

This, I think, applies to majority of finnish people. For some reason, most of us can read and write english quite well, but speaking...that's a whole different thing. On the other hand, our neighbors in sweden, usually speak english a lot better.

I bet the major reason for this is the fact, that finnish language differs more than swedish when compared to english.

-Colonel von Blitz-

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 20
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/15/2006 12:50:07 PM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel von Blitz

I bet the major reason for this is the fact, that finnish language differs more than swedish when compared to english.

-Colonel von Blitz-

True, but the other reason is that Finns afraid to speak English. Too little practising and when you speak, you speak with so low voice that it turns to murmur. And then you are again afraid to speak it...

(in reply to Colonel von Blitz)
Post #: 21
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/15/2006 2:19:25 PM   
Einar Fridgeirs

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Of course, Bob. I'm proud to be a West Virginian, and in case you didn't know, my wife was born in Texas. Our daughter has a very interesting genetic makeup -- she's musically talented and very outspoken. She has the best (and worst) of her parents' personalities.
I'm definitely gonna have an interesting time in helping her reach her potential.

Now, back on topic, I'm impressed by guys like Puukkoo and Einar and many others whose native language isn't English. They are easily understood, at least in writing. Talking to them may be entirely different-- you think about it, American English is VERY hard for those who can't say "the" or "those". The "th" sound is damn near impossible for many non-natives. I have the same problem with German umlautted vowels, like ü or ö .

He, "th" is easy compared to attempting to distinguish between "w" and "v". We use those interchangeably. I can never get that right. But overall, I´ve also been complimented on my english speech. Ah, the wonders of american girlfriends!

Bet you´d be stumped by Icelandic mainstays such as "Æ" "Ð" and "Þ". Many americans on IRC envy us for our Þ sound(I´m not even sure this is showing up properly on your screen by the way!) because we can make a cooler version of :P!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
RE: A Note to Non-Native English Speakers - 2/15/2006 4:09:21 PM   
Code Talker

quote:

Uhhh....I thought being from West Virginia was one of the states considered "honorary foreign citizen", (another, of course being Texas.)

Who y'all callin' foreign?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Note to Non-Native English Speakers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI