Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ModSelect

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> ModSelect Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ModSelect - 2/6/2006 12:31:47 AM   
jwinter

I installed Andrew Brown's maps and the CHS art successfully. But when I try to return to ModSelect option #1, which is "Official map, official art", I still have Andrew's map. In the art folder are WITN files, which seem to be the official map. I am reluctant to reistall from the CD, lest I lose the mods.
Post #: 1
RE: ModSelect - 2/6/2006 8:39:38 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwinter

I installed Andrew Brown's maps and the CHS art successfully. But when I try to return to ModSelect option #1, which is "Official map, official art", I still have Andrew's map. In the art folder are WITN files, which seem to be the official map. I am reluctant to reistall from the CD, lest I lose the mods.

First question - Did you exit from the game and restart it again?

Andrew

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 2
RE: ModSelect - 2/6/2006 6:35:14 PM   
jwinter

Yes. I have tried ModSelect, then starting a saved game, several times.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 3
RE: ModSelect - 2/7/2006 5:13:33 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Yes. I have tried ModSelect, then starting a saved game, several times.

When you run ModSelect , what option do you select, and what does the screen say after this?

Andrew

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 4
RE: ModSelect - 2/7/2006 6:25:31 PM   
jwinter

The choices are: 1. Official map, official art; 2. Andrews standard map 5, official art; 3, Andrews standard map, CHS art; 4. Andrews extended map, CHS art. I select #1, and the screen says official map and art has been installed. This suggests that somehow I overwrote the standard map files.

Post #: 5
RE: ModSelect - 2/7/2006 7:26:29 PM   
Sardaukar

If you use Win98 it's one-way street... ModSelect doesn't work backwards in that Windows version. I know that since I use Win98SE.... I do have dual game installation because of that.

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 6
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 12:47:04 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

If you use Win98 it's one-way street... ModSelect doesn't work backwards in that Windows version. I know that since I use Win98SE.... I do have dual game installation because of that.

Hmmmm. It should work in Win98. I will have to see whether I have access to a Win98 machine to test it. That could take a little while, though...

Andrew

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 5:00:20 AM   
jwinter

I have Win XP so that should not be an issue.

Post #: 8
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 5:36:32 AM   
rogueusmc

And you ran the back up the first time you loaded right?

And you didn't extract and overwrite ABs map into your art folder?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 9
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 6:27:21 AM   
Nomad

I knew there was a reason I used multiple installs.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 7:03:09 AM   
jwinter

I backed up the official map during the first MODselect installation. But somehow I think I must have overwritten 1 or more files in the Art folder. There are some files labelled WITN in the art folder that may be the backed up map files.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 11
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 9:13:12 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

I backed up the official map during the first MODselect installation. But somehow I think I must have overwritten 1 or more files in the Art folder. There are some files labelled WITN in the art folder that may be the backed up map files.

The backed up official map should be in the "ART\maps_Official" folder. That is where the install script puts a copy. Take a look in that folder to see whether you have a copy of the official map in there.

Also, were you using the official map in the game, before running the install script?

Andrew

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 12
RE: ModSelect - 2/8/2006 9:38:27 PM   
jwinter

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\ART contains 2 folders, ART\ART\Maps_Modified_v5X (47 files) and ART\ART\Maps_Official (23 files). There is also a folder C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\ART\Maps_Official outside of the ART folder. Before I installed the mod map I was 2 years into a campaign using the official map and I would hate to lose that.

Post #: 13
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 1:55:15 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\ART contains 2 folders, ART\ART\Maps_Modified_v5X (47 files) and ART\ART\Maps_Official (23 files). There is also a folder C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\ART\Maps_Official outside of the ART folder. Before I installed the mod map I was 2 years into a campaign using the official map and I would hate to lose that.

I am not sure why you have two "maps_official" folders. However, take a look on both of them, and open one of the files in there, such as WITP00. You should be able to tell whether they are part of the official map or not. It would be best to check both of them. Once we know what is where we can work out what needs to be moved or copied.

If you have lost the original map completely, then you can get it back through a second install of the game, or I can send you a copy if necessary.

Andrew

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 14
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 2:15:04 AM   
Nomad

I think the problem is that they are in ART/ART/xxxx instead of ART/xxxx They got put/unpacked in a folder that is one step too deep.

Post #: 15
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 4:07:04 AM   
jwinter

Both folders appear to contain the official map files.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 16
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 4:15:49 AM   
rogueusmc

Did you open them and look at them?...The mod uses the same file names.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 17
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 5:01:56 AM   
jwinter

Yes. WITN00 has no Maldives and WITN18 has no credits to Andrew.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 18
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 5:02:12 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Both folders appear to contain the official map files.

In that case, the art files in the "ART\Maps_Official" directory should get copied to the "ART" directory when you select an official map option in the ModSelector. If, for some reason, this is not working (and we can get to that), then you can manually copy ALL of the files from the "ART\Maps_Official" directory to the ART directory. The exception is the file "pwhex.dat", which should be copied from the "ART\Maps_Official" directory to the directory where WitP itself is installed (i.e. above the ART directory). Then when you start the game it will have the official map again.

Make absolutely sure that you COPY the files, not MOVE them, in the above steps. To be even more secure, make a backup of the "ART\Maps_official" directory, just in case.

Please let me know how that goes, and we can take it from there.

Andrew

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 19
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 2:38:05 PM   
Sardaukar

Ah, it's then prolly not Win98 problem as I thought.... Just a problem between keyboard and seat for me.... Anyhow, I had 2 installs, one for AB map, one for official. Lot easier than juggling maps, IMHO.

Post #: 20
RE: ModSelect - 2/9/2006 9:25:46 PM   
jwinter

Thanks Andrew. I now have copied the ART\Maps_official files. There are 23 files (WITN00 to WITN19 plus WITP00 and pwhex) in C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\ART, and I also copied pwhex to C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific. I tried ModSelect but always get Andrew's 5X map.

Post #: 21
RE: ModSelect - 2/10/2006 4:59:45 AM   
rogueusmc

Sounds like the official map got overwritten with AB's map at some point.

(in reply to jwinter)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> ModSelect Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI