Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Marshall invasion force spotted

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Marshall invasion force spotted Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 12:25:15 AM   
Nomad

John, this is what size and composition of ACTF I would expect Andy to bring( I have not read his AAR in a while so I am not really giving you any info from him, just what I would have from your AAR )

He should be able to put 4 of these together and still have some BBs and CA left for SCTFs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nomad -- 2/6/2006 12:28:48 AM >

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1891
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 2:14:36 AM   
PzB74

The reason my artillery unit is so small Veji is that Andy has bombed it repeatedly for months
Those LCUs are pretty good, but I don't think Andy will come short handed this time.

I'm aware of the growing strenght of the Allies Ken and that's the reason why I decided to keep the Combined Fleet
in port and watch the debacle unfold. Told Andy I considered sending the entire fleet after him...should keep him on his toes

Pretty certain that I would have lost more than I can afford if I decided to intervene. My damaged ships would have been hunted down
by enemy carriers at sea or in port and the KB is no longer capable of engaging the US carrier fleet without substantial suppport from
LBA. The atolls in the Marshalls can not provide this support.

So Andy can wear his army and navy down occupying the Marshalls while we rest, repair and prepare for the decisive battles that will come
in 1944. Believe me, it was difficult to subdue my samurai spirit, but it's only logical to save our strength at this stage. When the Marianas
or the Philippines comes under attack we will face and defeat the enemy in a great battle!

Thinking about training a few select air units in China until they reach an average of 90 exp and try to use them in a night role.
Spotted a couple of enemy transports near the Kormoran islands today - sending 2 destroyers to intercept them.

The Kaga joined the fleet at Ulithi..thinking about sending out a fast carrier force towards Andys invasion force to scare him. Perhaps we can
make him divide his fleets and create opportunities for our LBA?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/08/43

Enemy invasion force

The TFs just below the ones on the picture contains more carriers! Looks like the whole US fleet is on the move.

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 1892
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 10:16:13 AM   
soeren01

Maybe you should evac the 6th fleet. It will not help you in combat but could help somewhere else .

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1893
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 3:44:50 PM   
saj42

As soeren01 says, you might consider withdrawing the 6th Fleet HQ.
Oh and 24th Air Flotilla HQ as well. No point in sacrificing them at this point. Use air transports out of Eniwetok to pick them up then FT them back to Marianna's. - just a thought from an avid AAR follower.

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 1894
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 6:01:39 PM   
PzB74

I've been evacuating a construction and AA unit with barges...airfields at Kwajalein are closed so air transport hasn't
been an option for a while. Thought Andy would finish at Maloelap before turning to the 'capital' of the Marshalls. So I'm not
sure it'll be possible to get the HQs out in time.

Thx for reading guys!

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1895
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 6:24:27 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

As I think, with airfield closed it is still possible to evac at least fragment of HQ with your flying boats... At least allies can with their Catalinas. Think you should at least try it.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1896
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 6:37:02 PM   
Sneer

flying boats are good idea - I'd evac cadres of each HQ and even each unit if your pools are not dry

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 1897
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 7:14:55 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sneer

flying boats are good idea - I'd evac cadres of each HQ and even each unit if your pools are not dry

good idea ! , the HK6 Mavis transports would be ideal for this job. HUGH range and 1/2 decent load too.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 1898
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:13:27 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

John, this is what size and composition of ACTF I would expect Andy to bring( I have not read his AAR in a while so I am not really giving you any info from him, just what I would have from your AAR )

He should be able to put 4 of these together and still have some BBs and CA left for SCTFs.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! 11000 AA rating?!?!?

Man, I knew I shoulda played a game as the allies once before starting this PBEM thing......

"Hara Kiri" must Japanese for "Naval Attack"........

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 1899
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:19:40 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sneer

good idea ! , the HK6 Mavis transports would be ideal for this job. HUGH range and 1/2 decent load too.

Do you have any of the H6K-L2 Mavis Transports? Nice long range. Tinas are nice too. What size is the airfield?

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 1900
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:19:53 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Well, I wasn't talking about transport version of H6K... because as I remember game treats them as a normal transport plane and it will not fly to closed base. But normal patrol planes will.

Nec Temere Nec Timide

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1901
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:20:30 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

Well, I wasn't talking about transport version of H6K... because as I remember game treats them as a normal transport plane and it will not fly to closed base. But normal patrol planes will.

It doesn't? Well, that sucks.

Post #: 1902
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:27:20 PM   
Arstavidios

Floatplanes are great for moving troops around.
You can fly reinforcements in and out.
If he invades a base you can rush reinforcements were they are needed. You should be able to move 1000 troops a day using your foatplanes. Japanese floatplanes have a great range. You can have a central reserve with floaplanes and troops. From there you can cover most of the threatened area and move in troops to respond to invasions.
This will make you a fast reaction force.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1903
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/6/2006 11:42:47 PM   
Mynok

Just be careful of LRHellCAP cause it will eat them up.

I've not tried it but do Patrols on transport fly at night? Could night pickups be done?

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 1904
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 12:09:12 AM   
Arstavidios

Well don't know what the effect of LRCAP on air transport will be. Sweeps seem to cancel the mission. I'm using them extensively as the allies and it works well. I've had over 200 PBY ferrying troops in the SRA, but I'm a floatplane transport fanboy. So far I have not had any air transport missions involved in air combat but that does not mean much.

Air transport seems to occur in a specific air phase so there may be the same issue as with air mining

It's possible to move huge numbers of troops fast without risking precious ships. I think it's well worth trying. You can try with a Chutai or two. If it works you can send more. I guess the main issue is you never have enough floatplanes. I think betties can take over part of the naval search while the float planes are carrying troops. Aso beware the air transport bug.

You cannot fly troop transport at night.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1905
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 12:19:19 AM   
PzB74

Andy didn't invade Kwajalein this turn: the big fleet gathers just to west of the atolls!
Had hoped the invasion would damage some ships and split up TFs for my naval bombers.When this didn't materialize
the small strikes that went in were obliterated by the 300 ac CAP.

The annoying thing is that ALL naval bombers are suckered into attacking the most valuable targets - which are also
the most heavily defended ones. Less valuable TFs are often avoided altogether even though they have a much weaker CAP.

For now I will wait until the invasion force lands and takes casualties (I hope) before trying to send in even small
raids. Considered whether Andy might try to move past Kawajalein and go for Eniwetok instead but this would hardly save
him much effort...

Allied flak is just an annoyance compared to the force field put up by the CAP fighters Mynok - but I need to go in with
highly experienced naval bombers to stand a chance to score hits in such a 'hot' environment. Glad I wasn't destined to
become a Jap naval pilot in WWII..

Will try to use some Mavis search planes to move out HQ fragments - tried this on closed bases before without
much luck. Perhaps I just have to be persistent :-]

Thx for the advice guys! I'll consider putting together a float plane transport fleet - can't loose all my highly
experienced Mavis' in such operations though. Heard they make excellent night kamikazes

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/09/43

Air Combat

Day Air attack on TF at 80,78

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
G4M2 Betty x 11
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 8 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 11 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 4 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 2

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40N Warhawk: 1 damaged

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 2

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 destroyed
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 50
F6F Hellcat x 191
Corsair IV x 18
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 7

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 48
F6F Hellcat x 195
Corsair IV x 12
P-40N Warhawk x 3
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40N Warhawk: 1 damaged

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 48
F6F Hellcat x 192
Corsair IV x 12
P-40N Warhawk x 1
P-38G Lightning x 1
P-38J Lightning x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 4

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 48
F6F Hellcat x 207
Corsair IV x 12
P-40N Warhawk x 3
P-38G Lightning x 3
P-38J Lightning x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 4 destroyed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1906
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 12:28:29 AM   
Arstavidios

Try and see if floatplane transport works.
Rushing a few thousand troops to an attacked base can be really nasty. You don't need to send the whole unit. If the base falls the parent unit wil replace its losses.

Probably the best use of aircraft you can make at the moment if it works.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1907
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 5:48:05 AM   
PzB74

Here's the good thing Arstavidios: I got all the troops I want in most of my bases by now! I'm trying to keep the number of
troops on atolls moderate. Andy is going to need a heavy hammer even to smash even my modest presence on Kwajalein.

In real life there were some 6k Japs on Tarawa and they would have needed hotels to lodge anymore...me thinks the game should incur
heavy penalties for overstacking..but since this isn't the case a house rule may be needed. But first I'd like to see whether Andy is
up to the task or not. It is likely that large scale air and sea bombardments will cause much more casualties than they did historically
and thus even things out a bit.

My hope is that the game can remain interesting for both me and Andy until it ends (in a Japanese victory of course :-)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post #: 1908
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 5:15:18 PM   
Arstavidios

Well you're done with the good days now.
You may still get some opportunities to inflict local setbacks on the allies and slow him down.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1909
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 5:58:33 PM   
PzB74

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps,
the end of the beginning.....

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post #: 1910
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:07:55 PM   
Fishbed

I go to bed now, but tomorrow when I wake up, I want BLOOD, that suspense for 3 days is simply too much!

Good night all, I'll try to dream about a beach with dead digital marines all over the place, hope it will materialize when I awake!

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1911
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:43:58 PM   
Arstavidios

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps,
the end of the beginning.....

Maybe something like the middle of the middle :)

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1912
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:44:49 PM   
Terminus

Channelling Churchill, eh?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 1913
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:52:58 PM   
PzB74

I will do my best...err worst

Andy is getting into position: his ac and ships have started to bombard Kwajalein and
several TFs have moved into the target area.

There are some 100 enemy ac on CAP over Kwajalein so I'm not going to send my Emily's to
pick up anything...a small force of barges will attempt to get away with parts of the Naval HQ though.

Ok, so we can't penetrate Andy's force field with conventional air strikes - so it's time to try another
approach. I know how devastatingly effective experienced B-17s are against enemy ships when put on naval search.
Sooo I've put 80 highly experienced Bettys around Kwajalein on 100% naval search Perhaps this is the way
to achieve 'leakers'? Starting with an altitude of 30k feet - if no results are achieved I will lower it.

Hoping to hear Andy scream soon

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/10/43

Bombardments

A series of bombardments didn't cause overly heavy casualties!

TF 1068 encounters mine field at Kwajalein (79,79)

Allied Ships
DMS Perry
DMS Boggs
DD Norman
DD Henley
DD Buchanan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Kwajalein, at 79,79

Allied Ships
BB Idaho

Japanese ground losses:
488 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 9
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 2

Allied Ships
CL Helena
CL Concord
CL Emerald
BB Alabama
BB South Dakota
BB North Carolina

Japanese ground losses:
380 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 30
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 4

Allied Ships
DD Kennison
DD Sampson
DD Welles
DD Farenholt
DD Lansdowne
CL Richmond
CL Tromp
BB Colorado

Japanese ground losses:
69 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 28
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Air Combat

Heavy pounding of the Admiralities...

Day Air attack on Admiralty Islands , at 58,84

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 21
A-20G Havoc x 16
B-25J Mitchell x 125
PB4Y Liberator x 8
B-24J Liberator x 39

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-III Dinah: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
115 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Airbase hits 21
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 229
This is the kind of strike you DON'T want directed against the KB...
Day Air attack on Kwajalein Base Force, at 79,79

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 24
F6F Hellcat x 134
Corsair IV x 6
SBD Dauntless x 66
SB2C Helldiver x 194
TBM Avenger x 286

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 3 damaged
SB2C Helldiver: 5 damaged
TBM Avenger: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
227 casualties reported
Guns lost 10

Enemy air strike....

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1914
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:55:52 PM   
WhoCares

Are HQs not supposed to respawn after a given time once destroyed?
Anyway, I agree that the Fleet HQ might help more at a repair base.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1915
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:58:32 PM   
PzB74

Much more productive than channeling pictures of the prophet I'd say

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1916
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 6:59:39 PM   
PzB74

Never heard about this WhoCares...can anyone confirm this?
Just airlifted an Air HQ from Hansa to Biak.

quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoCares

Are HQs not supposed to respawn after a given time once destroyed?
Anyway, I agree that the Fleet HQ might help more at a repair base.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 1917
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 7:11:06 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Allied HQs respawn? Definetly yes (Had at least brit air HQ respawned). Japanese? Have no idea.

Nec Temere Nec Timide

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 1918
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 7:16:40 PM   
pauk

hm... i think they should respawn to... in 60 days?

Post #: 1919
RE: Marshall invasion force spotted - 2/7/2006 9:40:41 PM   
Nomad

Section 15.3 says that MOST HQs and Chinese units are replaced. Most HQs are returned as reinforcements.

I am watching this battle close, I have a pretty good idea of what each player is facing.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Marshall invasion force spotted Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI