Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Off The Ground? In The Air?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Off The Ground? In The Air? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 9:36:07 AM   
Charles2222

I haven't been reading this forum very much in the past two months. Why would that be? Because I'm not confident that this will ever get off the ground so to speak. Maybe make a more XP-friendly version, but I just don't see anything slightly resembling a really finished product coming out. Again, why is that? because I don't see GG involved with it. I know I've seen GG mentioned as far as Matrix buying these game rights, but although I have seen some names mentioned, such as Koger for some of the others, this one still doesn't have GG. Not to be offensive, but I just don't think Hard Sarge and JCL, if he wants anything to do anymore with any re-doing, have the capability of really dealing with this thing to enough degree that Gary wouldn't even be missed.

So what say you?

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/14/2006 9:37:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 10:56:53 AM   
Hertston

I don't think there was ever an intention to do any more than release a more XP friendly version, was there?

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 2
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 12:17:03 PM   
Charles2222

I guess you would have to read the announcements again about the aquisition. As much as people are talking about changing things in here, perhaps just idle dreams, you would almost think they're preparing to make it again from the ground up. At least with 'some' of the games, the idea was that you make an XP-friendly version and then perhaps you also add in some changes to the game, which may be dependant on sales on the simple conversion. It sort of sounded like you were buying more than one game at a time (for what alleged amount I don't recall) and that you were basically paying for the game to be supported upfront. IOW, as though you and they agreed that the price wasn't worth a simple conversion, but at the same time you would be paying for future work on it.

With BTR I've seen no hint of that, other than if you count what Hard Sarge et al may be doing. Naturally Koger has consented to doing some kind of work on TOAW, so that's a case where at least one title will likely see something beyond just a mere conversion. In Norm's case he already had a patch out for the old TOAW, so that they seem sure that they will get that minimum from him. Unfortunately my memory is somewhat vague on some of the details I picked up regarding the acquisition, as so much time has passed already, but I just expected that if BTR was going any place substantial, then GG would have to man the code again. Since I haven't seen that, I'm highly doubtful that GG will do much other than answer an occasional question from those who are watching the game right now (if that). In my case that's not sufficient reason for me to throw more money at a game that has been a total loss for me to date (though I still have the original version).

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 1:30:45 PM   
otisabuser2

Regretably those of us in the know are not allowed to comment at the moment.

I am quiet confident that you will be pleasantly surprised with the new games.

Post #: 4
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 1:57:54 PM   
Charles2222

By new games I suppose you mean 'including' BTR, correct? I entertain hopes that TOAW and EFII may be worth it, but BTR is another kettle of fish in my estimate.

(in reply to otisabuser2)
Post #: 5
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 3:58:18 PM   
Speedysteve

Hi Charles,

As OB says us in the know can't say too much in depth but both BTR and BOB are to be looked at and improved. Please be patient and keep with us. More info will be provided when appropriate.

I too am confident you will be pleasantly surprised by the finished articles

Regards,

Steven

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 6
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 7:06:26 PM   
Hard Sarge

hehehehehehehehe

good troll Charles

can't bite though

but will say, you don't know who is doing what with the game, and I am not telling

both games will work with Windows XP and DX9

both games should have new/improved different OOB's

both games should have a number of bugs fixed, that could not be fixed within the OOB's

both games should have new artwork

both games should be much closer to the same interface system

features and changes to the system, we are still talking/looking/thinking about

which, as a last note, if we are stuck with me doing the programming, I sure hope they are going to be paying by the hour, casue it would take me about 30 years to get it done

but I think I am set up to do what I do best, talk, complain, nag, harp, talk, complain

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 7
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/14/2006 10:30:27 PM   
Andy Mac

I am sooo looking forward to this one I even re installed BOB if in the 1st instance they give the game as much of a facelfift as Pac War got when Matrix re released it prior to WITP I will be a very happy man. (and from reading all the posts I think they are doing some gameplay improvements as well and improving the UI in BOB at least )

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/15/2006 1:41:01 AM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Andy
just in case, if BoB starts crashing on you, you can always try and set it up to run under compatablty mode, most of us have had good luck running it this way

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 9
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/15/2006 2:17:54 AM   
Andy Mac

Seems to running ok on XP with the patch on it.

Being used to WITP which feels the same for a lot of the UI re sqns and transfers etc I must say I had forgotten just how good this is seem to lose a lot of sqn leaders though.

I need to try and dig out my old BTR ;)

Andy

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/15/2006 8:47:17 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

hehehehehehehehe

good troll Charles

can't bite though

but will say, you don't know who is doing what with the game, and I am not telling

both games will work with Windows XP and DX9

both games should have new/improved different OOB's

both games should have a number of bugs fixed, that could not be fixed within the OOB's

both games should have new artwork

both games should be much closer to the same interface system

features and changes to the system, we are still talking/looking/thinking about

which, as a last note, if we are stuck with me doing the programming, I sure hope they are going to be paying by the hour, casue it would take me about 30 years to get it done

but I think I am set up to do what I do best, talk, complain, nag, harp, talk, complain

Good troll? I meant everything I said. I'm not trying to lead anybody on. It seems a fairly rational conclusion given the circumstances.

Yeah, I didn't think you were into the programming end, and even if JCL is (that's short for job-control-language on IBM mainframes) I would doubt anybody, maybe even GG, can really fix a GG product if it's broken.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 11
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/15/2006 2:37:03 PM   
Brutus

Is there any chance to see a Mac version of BTR?

Would buy at least three boxes if I could avoid buying a PC instead

Post #: 12
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 1/15/2006 6:11:29 PM   
Hard Sarge

that is way over my head, I don't know or know who I could ask to find out

(in reply to Brutus)
Post #: 13
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/5/2006 9:39:36 PM   
Prussia

quote:

even if JCL is (that's short for job-control-language on IBM mainframes) I would doubt anybody, maybe even GG, can really fix a GG product if it's broken.

Charles:

I actually have a name, and bastardizing is such a fitting conclusion to a horrendous week regarding BoB/BTR, that I really should have expected it.

Official title of the new release is "Gary Grigsby's From Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich".

Both iterations as they now stand are XP compliant.

Aircraft Graphics are being redone by a professional graphic artist, in a similar style to WITP.

We have some very exceptionally talented people involved in the project from both their BoB and BTR experience, but also their invaluable capacity for applying historical research to gameplay from the UK, France, Australia, Austria, Germany, and the US (forgive me if I forgot anyone's location). And they bring to the table an assortment of skills and werewithal most likely unrivalled by any other game, except possibly WITP.

We have the backing and motive force of David Heath, which is an fantastic asset- I guess you'd have to know him to really understand the import of that statement.

Keith Brors is involved, and has already contributed greatly to the project- I suppose you'd actually have to see his code to really appreciate what he can do from the game engine technical standpoint.

We have Joel Billings involved in the project- the motive force behind SSI, and the ensuing creation of a new gaming sub-set... who knows where we would all be if SSI and Joel hadn't started it all.

And we have Gary Grigsby- do I need say more?

Now off to go buy a new monitor.

Best to you,

Jean-Claude

Post #: 14
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/6/2006 2:25:46 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: JCL

quote:

even if JCL is (that's short for job-control-language on IBM mainframes) I would doubt anybody, maybe even GG, can really fix a GG product if it's broken.

Charles:

I actually have a name, and bastardizing is such a fitting conclusion to a horrendous week regarding BoB/BTR, that I really should have expected it.

Official title of the new release is "Gary Grigsby's From Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich".

Both iterations as they now stand are XP compliant.

Aircraft Graphics are being redone by a professional graphic artist, in a similar style to WITP.

We have some very exceptionally talented people involved in the project from both their BoB and BTR experience, but also their invaluable capacity for applying historical research to gameplay from the UK, France, Australia, Austria, Germany, and the US (forgive me if I forgot anyone's location). And they bring to the table an assortment of skills and werewithal most likely unrivalled by any other game, except possibly WITP.

We have the backing and motive force of David Heath, which is an fantastic asset- I guess you'd have to know him to really understand the import of that statement.

Keith Brors is involved, and has already contributed greatly to the project- I suppose you'd actually have to see his code to really appreciate what he can do from the game engine technical standpoint.

We have Joel Billings involved in the project- the motive force behind SSI, and the ensuing creation of a new gaming sub-set... who knows where we would all be if SSI and Joel hadn't started it all.

Now off to go buy a new monitor.

Best to you,

Jean-Claude

Well sorry "Jean-Claude" but seeing as how I don't know you personally, nor likely ever will, I think it a bit fresh to refer to you by what I suppose you might approve of (Jean-Claude) and seeing as how you never granted permission for such, nor chose that as your logonid; I chose 'jcl'. A lot of people use the logonid until told otherwise, if you hadn't noticed. Yes, it must be a rough week for you, as to take what I said as a bastardization is a major stretch. Besides, isn't calling me "Charles" instead of Charles 22, a bit like what you're accusing me of? I don't mind really, as it is a minor difference. I'm not even too bothered with "C22" seeing as how it saves a lot of typing. But I hope you can see where I'm coning from. If cutting to my logonid to C22, or Chuck, or Charles is a bastardization, and it's not in my opinion, then using the very logonid you have, in it's entireity, surely is not. You chose it; I didn't. If you want to be addressed as a specific thing, then why not let your signature and logonid agree?

And yes, there is the matter of me taking your initials and stating a very common computerease term alongside it. No slight intended ol' boy. It was nothing more than a "isn't that neat" sort of comment.

Anyway, thanks for the information, as seeing this new forum title had me wondering, and I'm glad to see it looks like some treatment will be in the works.

I'm not too sure I'll be doing much on this forum anymore, despite the apparent good news, as I am getting a bit gunshy that so many of my comments, which when they aren't of the stiff as a board variety, come off as insults. I have better ways to spend my time.

Thanks for your time.

(in reply to Prussia)
Post #: 15
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/7/2006 3:27:10 AM   
Justascratch

How fast we jump off topic and onto each other!

Post #: 16
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/7/2006 9:51:01 AM   
Hard Sarge

no, not really, it follows the beginning of the post

it been going on for a while now :)

most of us are used to it

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 17
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/7/2006 4:31:32 PM   
Arkady

quote:

can we see some screenshot ?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/7/2006 8:23:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

Not yet

but as we get closer, and what not, I am sure we will post a lot of what it is going to look like

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 19
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/8/2006 9:43:16 AM   
Nick E

quote:

Jean-Claude

The same can be said about WITP...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1055610&mpage=1􁮔

(in reply to Prussia)
Post #: 20
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/8/2006 10:38:21 PM   
Andy Mac

Yup and IMO its the finest game I have ever played with more bang for buck than ANY game I have ever played (which is why I have such high hopes for BTR and BOB.

I want my Tempies and Mossies come on guys hurry up !!!!!

Andy

(in reply to Nick E)
Post #: 21
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/9/2006 12:09:07 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi Andy,

We are sure you'll love em when released. Just be patient a little while longer

Steven

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 22
RE: Off The Ground? In The Air? - 2/9/2006 1:50:53 AM   
Andy Mac

I am not known for my patience but I will try to contain myself !!!!

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Off The Ground? In The Air? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI