Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilots - 2/13/2006 10:43:29 PM   
adamc6

Looked around, but did not find a big pilot discussion thread.....point me to one if I missed it.

Pilots:
What's up here.....I've had pilots bail out and get captured when the enemy isn't within 5
hexes of my base (flying CAP, locally, not LR BTW).

I've had pilots get killed, then a new guy seems to appear in the same unit, have the same rank as the KIA guy and pick up his kills. What's up with that?

Other pilot issues? This is in straight 1.6, no mods.

AC

If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?
Post #: 1
RE: Pilots - 2/13/2006 10:53:10 PM   
Feinder

Just wait until you have an Allied pilot bail out and get captured over Vancouver...

Evidently, it's a percent chance whenever a plane is shot down, that the pilot will bail out. Chances for wouding, capture, success etc. I believe Frag said there are helpful modifiers if you're close to a friendly base (to keep you from being captured), but it's still just a random dice roll; so you can still get captured even if you're flying from Alice Springs.

Just one of those wonky things...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilots - 2/13/2006 11:02:01 PM   
DeepSix

Wonky, indeed. This is one of those things about the game that's bugged me for a while, like the TF leader going down with his ship even if it's docked. ("Hurry up, Admiral, the ship is foundering! We'll have to get you over to the yard in a hurry if you want to drown!") Slings and arrows.... it would be going to a lot of trouble to fix this sort of thing for very little payoff (IMO). It is a nuisance, though.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilots - 2/13/2006 11:14:35 PM   
niceguy2005

In WitP reality is sometimes a casualty of complexity - hey somebody write that down quick!

One of these days we will look back on this game fondly, certainly not because it was wonky, but because it pushed wargames to the next level of realism. One day WitP will be to another game as Zork was to Myst.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to DeepSix)
Post #: 4
RE: Pilots - 2/13/2006 11:17:04 PM   
Bradley7735

Mike Wood had a good post on this subject. There are a LOT of factors involved in the calculations on whether a pilot survives, is wounded, is KIA or is captured.

Yes, the Alice Springs example is pretty extreme. But, anywhere there is water involved, you can logically expain it. Pilot chases enemy until they are over water. Pilot gets shot down. Pilot floats on the ocean for 17 days and is picked up by a jap sub. It could happen. (whether it could happen very often is another question.)

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to DeepSix)
Post #: 5
RE: Pilots - 2/14/2006 3:00:37 AM   
adamc6

Thanks guys -- I like your explanation on floating for 17 days and grabbed by sub --

How about the transfer of kills from one pilot to another....anyone else see that?

BTW, my wife hates this game -- so that tells you how much I love it! My comments are always with an eye toward improvement and not bitching.

If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 6
RE: Pilots - 2/14/2006 6:48:35 AM   
ckk

welcome to the club

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 7
RE: Pilots - 2/14/2006 6:58:51 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamc6

BTW, my wife hates this game -- so that tells you how much I love it! My comments are always with an eye toward improvement and not bitching.

I whole heartedly agree with the above - My wife hates it, I love it!

As one who has piled up over 1,000 posts in a year - I do post a fair amount.
Any commenting I make about 'this or that' in the game is definately aimed at improving - not condemning WitP.

My name Is Brian,....and I'm an addict (the first step is admitting it).

B

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 8
RE: Pilots - 2/14/2006 10:49:11 AM   
goodboyladdie

"I'm Brian, and so's my wife"

(although she hates it with a vengeance. She had a tumor removed and is maxed out on steroids and hormones, so every time I play I have to make sure she is away from the knives in the kitchen!)

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 9
RE: Pilots - 2/14/2006 12:26:12 PM   
wild_Willie2

quote:

My name Is Brian,....and I'm an addict (the first step is admitting it).

Join the club.......

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI