Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

partial replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> partial replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
partial replacements - 2/16/2006 8:28:36 AM   
alfrake

Is there a good way to add just one or two planes to a squadron instead of filling it up all the way?

I've got squadrons with like 17 pilots and 14 planes. I've got planes in my pool, but I don't want to expend an extra 10 planes that I don't have anyone to fly. Nor do I want to throw cruddy pilots into my elite squadrons. If I turn on replacements, they seem to immediately draw up to full planes (27). That just gives the allies more targets to blow up on the ground with their unstoppable night bombing raids, wastes pool planes and does nothing for me. Suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: partial replacements - 2/16/2006 9:16:19 AM   
bradfordkay

The only way I can figure out to do that would be to wait to turn on "accept replacements" for that squadron until a day where there are only as few a/c in the replacement pool as you want to add to the squadron. It's not a situation you're going to have often...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to alfrake)
Post #: 2
RE: partial replacements - 2/16/2006 4:06:03 PM   
tsimmonds

In a situation like that I will usually disband that squadron into another one (or vice versa). I really like having overstrength air units (as long as they aren't at a base that is getting bombed to rubble), gives them extra staying power; plus I get started on training up a new batch of pilots that much sooner.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3
RE: partial replacements - 2/16/2006 7:01:57 PM   
niceguy2005

Can anyone further explain to me disband vs withdraw. I have been disbanding some units that are low on planes to build up others, because planes aren't available in the pool.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 4
RE: partial replacements - 2/16/2006 7:08:04 PM   
Mynok

Disband: Planes and pilots go into another group at the same base (same plane type obviously)
Disbanded unit returns empty (requiring new planes and pilots from pools) in 90 days

Withdraw: Planes go into another group and unit with pilots returns in 60 days.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 5
RE: partial replacements - 2/16/2006 9:28:46 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Disband: Planes and pilots go into another group at the same base (same plane type obviously)
Disbanded unit returns empty (requiring new planes and pilots from pools) in 90 days

Withdraw: Planes go into another group and unit with pilots returns in 60 days.

Thanks Mynok. Hands down the best explanation I have ever seen on this. Clear, concise and to the point. GOLD STAR FOR YOU!

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 6:18:09 AM   
alfrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
In a situation like that I will usually disband that squadron into another one (or vice versa). I really like having overstrength air units

Okay, I guess that leads to another question. How do you maintain overstrength air units? I disband a unit with 16 (max 27) into a unit with 8 (max 9). It now has 24. But the next turn it puts 15 into reserve!!!!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 7
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 6:59:53 AM   
Dino

Everything above MAX goes into reserve, so disband a smaler unit into a bigger one.

(in reply to alfrake)
Post #: 8
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 5:46:49 PM   
esteban

Getting partial replacements into a squadron like the one mentioned in the first post is fairly easy. Split the unit into its 3 groups, fly the smallest group to another nearby airfield, and then set one of the other two groups to "accept replacements", let that group draw 3-4 replacement aircraft next turn, then fly the small group back to the others and rebuild the entire squadron.

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 9
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 5:55:10 PM   
Mynok

quote:

Okay, I guess that leads to another question. How do you maintain overstrength air units? I disband a unit with 16 (max 27) into a unit with 8 (max 9). It now has 24. But the next turn it puts 15 into reserve!!!!

Nothing wrong with reserve. That's the whole point. You won't ever fly more than your max ready aircraft, but the reserve provides instant, trained replacements for ready units that are destroyed. Allows groups to stay on the front line longer.

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 10
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 6:35:26 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Getting partial replacements into a squadron like the one mentioned in the first post is fairly easy. Split the unit into its 3 groups, fly the smallest group to another nearby airfield, and then set one of the other two groups to "accept replacements", let that group draw 3-4 replacement aircraft next turn, then fly the small group back to the others and rebuild the entire squadron.

Ever loose an air unit due to recombining problems?

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 11
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 6:36:53 PM   
niceguy2005

As I have never played a PBEM game where I had the surplus planes to do this, I am looking forward to getting one of my games past June or July 42. Most of my games are in march 42 right now and everything is critically low.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 12
RE: partial replacements - 2/17/2006 10:32:58 PM   
DFalcon

quote:

ORIGINAL: alfrake

Is there a good way to add just one or two planes to a squadron instead of filling it up all the way?

I've got squadrons with like 17 pilots and 14 planes. I've got planes in my pool, but I don't want to expend an extra 10 planes that I don't have anyone to fly. Nor do I want to throw cruddy pilots into my elite squadrons. If I turn on replacements, they seem to immediately draw up to full planes (27). That just gives the allies more targets to blow up on the ground with their unstoppable night bombing raids, wastes pool planes and does nothing for me. Suggestions?

One method is to divide the unit into sub groups and allow replacements on only one of the groups. A group that hopefully is short the same number of planes you need. I usually stand the unit down for this type of thing so combat does not end up changing the number of planes recieved. After the one group recieves the replacements, reform the group.

I would not recomend doing this in too many groups at once as things seem to go smoother with fewer fragments and sub units.

(in reply to alfrake)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> partial replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI