Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Coastal Defense Guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Coastal Defense Guns Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 6:19:59 PM   
el cid again

quote:

The rest of the Japanese equipment was pretty old (they never declared anything "obsolete") and the Fire Control was not much better than "open sights" from the gun positions. The largest were the Krupp model 1890 11" Howitzers (which were used in the same manner as the US model 1890 and 1908 12" CD Mortars). Most were 3" to 4.7" pedestal mounts suitable primarily for shooting at Landing Craft.

While there are elements of truth here, essentially false. There were many more marks of weapons and fire control than this, and the most significant are not cited - 5.5 inch, 6 inch, 8 inch and 12 inch rifles. There were also 5 inch dual purpose coast defense mountings, and late in the war, something like 114 4 inch AAA which were the finest of Japanese guns, and which actually have more range than the 5 inch.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 121
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 6:22:36 PM   
el cid again

quote:

The "key" to successful CD is the "Fire Control and Plotting" systems which direct the guns, and here the Japanese lag behind.

This is a rare statement. It is 100% correct - in the first clause. And it is 100% false in the second. It is true there is little written in English about Japanese fire control which is complimentary - but there is some. That does not make it true to say the "Japanese lag behind." It appears they led - that only in 1945 do we approach their coast defense sophisitcation - in the very last month of the war - and that our almost as good's never were operational at all - although one mounting was proof fired.

Post #: 122
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 6:29:50 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Even in 1945, they were unable to field a successfull Fire Control Radar for their CD units.

Which statement, if it is true (and I don't know that it is true), is grossly misleading because it implies it was somehow different for us. But it is not. US Army materials from major sites I have visited (e.g. Fort Stevens, Oregon, San Francisco, Panama, Manila Bay and Oahu) indicate we ALSO were "unable to field a successful fire control radar for our CD units." I don't see any reason we could not have done, and possibly we did- but we didn't at our big sites which are directly comparable to the major Japanese sites. [We had 16 inch guns at Panama and San Francisco and 14 inch at Fort Drum in Manila Bay. Fort Stevens had nothing bigger than 12 inch, but it had some very late construction, including some never completed.] Only Fort Stevens was engaged by sea - by a submarine! - and lack of radar meant the only way to detect the target was by searchlight. These were ordered turned off - it was feared that firing would reveal the sites of the guns. The evaluation of this action may have eventually led to the end of the coast artillery. Our coast defenses were anything but useless - and involved mines as well as guns - but they were not based on use of radar.

Post #: 123
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 6:33:15 PM   
el cid again

quote:

El Cid, I have never seen any of your posts backed up by the source, page number and quotes like so many of us do. If you don't have time for "scholarly documentation" in your posts don't post stuff which can't be validated.

OK. But I have yet to do that. My information can be validated - and I have already posted the sources on this board. Since you still refuse to be polite, my conditions for reposting are not met - either do a search or not as you please. Either way, my data CAN BE validated and also it HAS BEEN validated - or it would not be in the next CHS. Like it or lump it.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 124
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 6:47:28 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

The "key" to successful CD is the "Fire Control and Plotting" systems which direct the guns, and here the Japanese lag behind.

This is a rare statement. It is 100% correct - in the first clause. And it is 100% false in the second. It is true there is little written in English about Japanese fire control which is complimentary - but there is some. That does not make it true to say the "Japanese lag behind." It appears they led - that only in 1945 do we approach their coast defense sophisitcation - in the very last month of the war - and that our almost as good's never were operational at all - although one mounting was proof fired.

CID Both standard Japanese Fire Control Systems (The Type 88 Electrical and the Type 98 Mechanical) was designed to use verticle (or Depression) Range-Finders. There are inherent limits in this type of installation (though it certainly made sense given the terrain of the Japanese coast) as opposed to the "Base End" system used in US installations which could sight and plot targets from a number of points along a coastline thousands of yards apart. The wider the base, and the more numerous the spotting positions, the better the data fed in to the plotting and fire control centers. You would have to mount your "Depression" Range-Finder a mile above sea level to achieve similiar triangulation. The Japanese coast is fairly rugged, but 5,000 foot cliffs along the coast are hard to come by. You keep talking as if only a "turret mounting" is modern because it has a roof and frontal armour. 100 feet of concrete and earth will stop a shell even better than 12 inches of armor. And Japanese AAA stunk, or LeMay wouldn't have been flying B-29s over Japan at 6-9,000 feet.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 125
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 7:22:14 PM   
el cid again

quote:

And Japanese AAA stunk, or LeMay wouldn't have been flying B-29s over Japan at 6-9,000 feet.

According to USAAF data, even on the occasions the Japanese mounted effective fighter defenses against B-29s (see Genda's Blade for example, using recon planes to permit distant intercept, or the JAAF's "last technical surprise of the war" when a patrol line from Kyushu to mid Honshu brought down B-29s in numbers, impressing their crews) - we lost more B-29s to AAA than to fighters. The worlds only computerized air defense plotting center was in Tokyo. Nothing comparable existed in London or any other place. And there was never an Allied AAA simulator comparable to what Japan used - permitting training in all light conditions without using any ammunition against targets that could be made to appear to be any enemy (or friendly) aircraft. Now you don't have to like this information. But it is accurate information. Japan also may have introduced the AAW plot at sea - a room behind the bridge on its AA destroyers - something I saw in the USN of the 1960s - but have not yet found a reference to in WWII.

Post #: 126
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 7:26:43 PM   
el cid again

quote:

CID Both standard Japanese Fire Control Systems (The Type 88 Electrical and the Type 98 Mechanical) was designed to use verticle (or Depression) Range-Finders. There are inherent limits in this type of installation (though it certainly made sense given the terrain of the Japanese coast) as opposed to the "Base End" system used in US installations which could sight and plot targets from a number of points along a coastline thousands of yards apart. The wider the base, and the more numerous the spotting positions, the better the data fed in to the plotting and fire control centers. You would have to mount your "Depression" Range-Finder a mile above sea level to achieve similiar triangulation. The Japanese coast is fairly rugged, but 5,000 foot cliffs along the coast are hard to come by. You keep talking as if only a "turret mounting" is modern because it has a roof and frontal armour. 100 feet of concrete and earth will stop a shell even better than 12 inches of armor. And Japanese AAA stunk, or LeMay wouldn't have been flying B-29s over Japan at 6-9,000 feet.

As usual, your information is correct - but incomplete. You began by talking about the defenses at Tsushima Straits. Why are you now disregarding the fire control used there? The sites were connected, by undersea cables, and they used something very similar to our system on Oahu - except that they could direct fire from any of the batteries from any of the guns - there was not just one FDC - and the FDCs were able to replace each other. The word for the fire control computer does not translate, but we had nothing like it.

Post #: 127
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 8:25:07 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

No El Cid, if you're going to say something like that you POST the data and sources to back up your assumptions.

I have posted sources on this before - more than once. I do not have time to do scholarly documentation in every comment - and I don't see this being done by others very often. If you elect to believe it isn't true - go ahead and believe it. But it IS verified and it WILL BE in the next version of CHS as well as RHS. I am a bit of a serious student of coast defenses - and have visited many of the major sites and collected literature on them. You are not required to believe me - but that does not mean it is not worthwhile to post quick and dirty for the sake of any who know I have a clue. There is a thread where it was said that my even-handed handling of this subject might result in reforms of a major oversite - and indeed it did in terms of getting a consensus in the CHS team. Ron is completely wrong - coast defense in the game is UNDERSTATED - not overstated. USN taught as late as Viet Nam not to tangle with coast defenses as a general concept. Guns ashore inherantly outrank ships. Only USS New Jersey could more or less ignore the NVA guns, and even she could get hurt in the sense of having people get killed. I have no clue what your attitude is based on - but this is a discussion board. It is a place to debate ideas. If you really want the sources - search in this board for the several places they are posted. Or ask politely.

Funny, I've been reading about military history since I could sit on the toilet and I can't come up with historical examples to match anything near what is going on in the game that does not predate ironclad ships. I'd like to see your examples that prove me "completely wrong".

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 128
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 8:41:47 PM   
Demosthenes

I don't know how this thread got this far - but the original complaint below was about USN 16"gun BBs getting shot up by 5.5" CD Guns in Shortlands, not Japan, not Truk,.....
It was about the over-effectiveness of these far lighter mobile CD guns...

discuss...

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamc6

Okay, not wanting to open the age-old debate over ships v shore batteries, but I had a bombardment task force w/2 US old BBs (16 inch guns) get pasted by the 5.5 inch pop guns of a Japanese Coastal defense BN at Shortlands. Now, I know that sometimes sh*t happens, but what commander would take his BBs in close enough to get wacked like that? My commander was Wright I think, naval skill pretty high 60s.

Comments? I know, I should just shut up and not complain that a Betty didn't put a torp in the Colorado.

< Message edited by Demosthenes -- 2/17/2006 8:47:32 PM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 129
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 9:21:46 PM   
2ndACR

The original poster never told us what the damage level of the BB was. I know that 5.5 inch will not penetrate a BB in the game.

The other firestorm was created when Ron posted the results of my ambush against the CA's. The light armored CA took a beating from 40 5.5 inch guns and 60 4.7 inch guns. Give or take 5-10 of each. As did the accompanying DD's and CL's.

We really need further info on the damage state of the BB. If it was at 70 sys or something, then I would agree. But I would bet that it was around 20 with lots of topside hits (destroyed guns etc) maybe some fire damage too.

Hits mean nothing if no real damage is being done. I hit a Dutch CL around 90 times with 4.7 inch guns and barely scratched the paint in a surface battle.

(in reply to Demosthenes)
Post #: 130
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 9:26:33 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

The original poster never told us what the damage level of the BB was. I know that 5.5 inch will not penetrate a BB in the game.

The other firestorm was created when Ron posted the results of my ambush against the CA's. The light armored CA took a beating from 40 5.5 inch guns and 60 4.7 inch guns. Give or take 5-10 of each. As did the accompanying DD's and CL's.

We really need further info on the damage state of the BB. If it was at 70 sys or something, then I would agree. But I would bet that it was around 20 with lots of topside hits (destroyed guns etc) maybe some fire damage too.

Hits mean nothing if no real damage is being done. I hit a Dutch CL around 90 times with 4.7 inch guns and barely scratched the paint in a surface battle.

But the problem is the sheer volume and accuracy of the fire...don't you see a problem with a CL getting hit 90 times!!!? What of the other vessels? Bet you they were all smoked to vary degrees as well.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 131
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 9:36:29 PM   
2ndACR

let me see..........9 DD's versus 2 CL's...........both firing like crazy at 4,000 meters..........the DD's pound away (super aggressive leader) and the Dutch stayed and fought (and won) because I was just chipping the paint on that CL. Lost 3 DD's to that battle.

I have seen very aggressive leaders stick around when they should have cut and run and have paid the price for it (caught by airpower at day break) and I have seen not so aggressive leaders cut and run after the first sign of resistance. I have seen leaders reported as competent stick around longer than aggressive leaders in a fight.

Maybe it is a dice roll. But that is the way the ball bounces. Take your chances. I setup the perfect ambush and he got caught by it. I was actually expecting DD's and maybe a CL or 2 to show up and take a pasting. Had the CV's lurking in the backfield in case he showed up with his BB's and to chase down any cripples.

The only CA that took a pounding had a belt armor rating of 25. As did the DD's.

Post #: 132
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/17/2006 10:09:48 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Dont forget that bombardment TF to be succesfull must see what is aiming for. It is far harder to spot camouflaged CD guns than to see a ship in open waters. Actual leser maximum range of 6 inch CD guns than those 16 inch put on BB doesn't matter, as land based guns have greater effective (I mean range of seing results of its own fire) range of fire while aiming at ships, than ships aiming at land targets.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 133
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 1:55:16 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

The rest of the Japanese equipment was pretty old (they never declared anything "obsolete") and the Fire Control was not much better than "open sights" from the gun positions. The largest were the Krupp model 1890 11" Howitzers (which were used in the same manner as the US model 1890 and 1908 12" CD Mortars). Most were 3" to 4.7" pedestal mounts suitable primarily for shooting at Landing Craft.

While there are elements of truth here, essentially false. There were many more marks of weapons and fire control than this, and the most significant are not cited - 5.5 inch, 6 inch, 8 inch and 12 inch rifles. There were also 5 inch dual purpose coast defense mountings, and late in the war, something like 114 4 inch AAA which were the finest of Japanese guns, and which actually have more range than the 5 inch.

Japan diodn't have any 4" AAA guns. They had a fairly effective 3.9" (100mm) AAA gun with a good reach and Rate of Fire, but poor Fire Direction compared to the US (who were mounting Radar Fire Control on their 40mm mounts by late in the war)

Post #: 134
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 2:14:23 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

And Japanese AAA stunk, or LeMay wouldn't have been flying B-29s over Japan at 6-9,000 feet.

According to USAAF data, even on the occasions the Japanese mounted effective fighter defenses against B-29s (see Genda's Blade for example, using recon planes to permit distant intercept, or the JAAF's "last technical surprise of the war" when a patrol line from Kyushu to mid Honshu brought down B-29s in numbers, impressing their crews) - we lost more B-29s to AAA than to fighters. The worlds only computerized air defense plotting center was in Tokyo. Nothing comparable existed in London or any other place. And there was never an Allied AAA simulator comparable to what Japan used - permitting training in all light conditions without using any ammunition against targets that could be made to appear to be any enemy (or friendly) aircraft. Now you don't have to like this information. But it is accurate information. Japan also may have introduced the AAW plot at sea - a room behind the bridge on its AA destroyers - something I saw in the USN of the 1960s - but have not yet found a reference to in WWII.

Possibly.., but we lost far more B-29's to mechanical failures than to the Japanese---which certainly wasn't the case in Europe where the German's actually had effective AAA and Fighters. And you can say what you like about Tokyo's "computerized air defense plotting center", but IRL Tokyo was burned to the ground by low flying B-29's and unable to do much of anything about it. Japanese Fire Control certainly doesn't seem to have impressed the US Seacoast Artillery Research Board that analyzed it after the War.
"Obsolescent" is the most prevelant word in their study of the subject. They are much kinder than the board studying Japanese military electronics, who described it as being composed of the kind of materials that anyone could have bought in a radio shop in the States in the 30's.

Post #: 135
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 2:32:44 AM   
spence

Allied battleships bombarded several ports and other installations in the Japanese Home Islands in July/August 45. I haven't found much more than sketchy descriptions of the bombardments other than that they were credited with inflicting some damage to steel mills and oil installations. In what I've seen there was no mention whatever of being engaged by any coastal defenses. The Allies were not apparently intimidated by whatever coastal defenses may have been present.

Post #: 136
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 3:26:12 AM   
adamc6

Original poster here.....a bit amazed at the state of the thread.

Anyway -- when I posted I had not checked the BBs....and I restarted soon after due to learning curve.

From memory, one BB was hit 17 times and the other 18. Now, I'm not complaining that my 16' guns should have taken out the guns, I am asking how the hell those pop guns could it me, with the range advantage, that many times. I am not a technical guru like some of you, but a Coastal Artillery BN that has been in place for maybe a month (this does not make me think of a sophisticated system) can pull that off? Just seems like a stretch. (and no, for those who did not read the whole thread, I did not have escorts set to bombard).

I don't mind someone setting me straight, but do it with some panache and not just a "yeah, it could happen."

If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 137
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 7:58:24 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Original poster here.....a bit amazed at the state of the thread.

Anyway -- when I posted I had not checked the BBs....and I restarted soon after due to learning curve.

From memory, one BB was hit 17 times and the other 18. Now, I'm not complaining that my 16' guns should have taken out the guns, I am asking how the hell those pop guns could it me, with the range advantage, that many times. I am not a technical guru like some of you, but a Coastal Artillery BN that has been in place for maybe a month (this does not make me think of a sophisticated system) can pull that off? Just seems like a stretch. (and no, for those who did not read the whole thread, I did not have escorts set to bombard).

I don't mind someone setting me straight, but do it with some panache and not just a "yeah, it could happen."

In this game, you are almost always making a night bombardment. How far you can shoot is much less of a question than how close you had to get to identify your targets. If you are asking "Is the game's bombardment routine screwed up?" the answer is yes. If you are asking "Are Japanese CD guns overly effective?" the answer is yes. If you are asking "how can a one hour bombardment attack the airfield, the port, the ground troops, and any ships in the hex, but an air strike must pick only one target?" it's a question many others have asked as well. It's what we're stuck with until or unless someone can fix it.

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 138
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 8:14:06 AM   
Monter_Trismegistos

quote:

I am asking how he hell those pop guns could it me, with the range advantage, that many times.

There is no chance to hit something (with exception of hitting "forest") at maximum range of BB's! You must came closer to watch effects of your firing. And then range of 6 inch guns is enough. While bombardment there is no such thing as range advantage. This is the reason why some nations ever bother to create CD guns.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 139
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 9:36:45 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

388 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

It appears we take different meaning from this line. You are saying that means there were 388 guns whereas I take it to mean there were 388 shots.

Since 2ndACR already told us there were 100 guns, I'm sticking with my interpretation.

yes, definetely there were 100 guns and 388 shots fired from these guns

Okay, I didn't see the word 'shots' for some reason. Save for the counting in a reload capacity, that could've been any number of guns untold. Considering how this game is geared, it just seems a bit odd to me that it doesn't tell you how many guns there were in the report. Not that it's a bad thing, but just that how this game is geared usually it seems out of place. I would have thought it would have told you, that, instead of how many shots were fired. I don't think I've seen shots accounted for anywhere else.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 140
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 10:02:46 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

Dont forget that bombardment TF to be succesfull must see what is aiming for. It is far harder to spot camouflaged CD guns than to see a ship in open waters. Actual leser maximum range of 6 inch CD guns than those 16 inch put on BB doesn't matter, as land based guns have greater effective (I mean range of seing results of its own fire) range of fire while aiming at ships, than ships aiming at land targets.

I'm not sure I brought up this point before, though I had certainly thought it, and it is this, just what makes us think that bombard missions are focusing on CD's? I know it may seem natural to assume that, given how we often see one unit attacking every other opposing unit, but we can't be too sure it was programmed that way, can we? Especially when these are mobile guns isn't it entirely possible that the bombardment group has no idea of their density and therefore may only fire sporadic fire to the usual places and instead concentrate fire, at least early on, on airfields or buildings, etc?

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 141
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 1:40:38 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Funny, I've been reading about military history since I could sit on the toilet and I can't come up with historical examples to match anything near what is going on in the game that does not predate ironclad ships. I'd like to see your examples that prove me "completely wrong".

One problem we may have is this "show me examples." I am not particularly interested in examples - which in the case of these exotic systems are very rare. Few coast defense battles were fought against proper modern coast defense systems - and those that were didn't get fought in terms that the systems were designed for (see Fort Stevens).
You are missing the big point, which is WHY this is the case: it is because these defenses were too effective to challege with ships - even battleships. You can hardly find an example when real world admirals were not stupid enough to sail into a trap. But you will be hard pressed to find a coast gunner from anywhere who was not confident he could hit a target. And the data supports the gunners.

I am saying you are completely wrong in the sense of believing that coast defense guns would not produce results like you observe in the conditions you observed them. GIVE them targets they will hit them and hurt them.
I am a person used to analysing technical matters professionally, and using theory to create a model of what would happen in various circumstanes. I attempt to understand the physics, and also the organization involved. We never challenged the Tsu Shima Straits. Italy never challenged Gibraltar - except with submarines. Japan never challenged the Hawaii Separate Coast Artillery Brigade. But I can still tell you to expect results like you don't like if anyone did try such a thing. We long planned to invade Rabaul - but in the end did not - in part because to do so was going to be expensive. Landing elsewhere and going overland is not much better - it is worse for the troops in malarial country - and it gives you no proper line of supply. [Real world supplies do not instantly move over trails]. We long planned to Nuke Truk (too bad for the Trukese) - but the fleet was no longer there by the time we had a bomb to do it. The only major study of a challenge to a major defended place was the Japanese plan to invade Hawaii. And that plan is not understood in detail. But IF it had been attempted, and IF the fleet had arrived in Hawaiian waters strong enough to attempt it, it was clearly going to be a big problem. The only weakness was from the air - so presumably the plan was to exploit that by bombing the defenses - at least those in range of the landing area.

Post #: 142
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 1:46:31 PM   
el cid again

quote:

There is no chance to hit something (with exception of hitting "forest") at maximum range of BB's! You must came closer to watch effects of your firing. And then range of 6 inch guns is enough. While bombardment there is no such thing as range advantage. This is the reason why some nations ever bother to create CD guns.

Another issue is tactics: Coast defense guns do not usually shoot at maximum range. IF the target is closing they wait until a number of batteries bear and are in effective range. The object at first is to disable steering/and or propulsion - THEN the object shifts to one of pounding the disabled ship(s). It is in this phase that many hits are probable. No navy before Viet Nam devised a scheme to deal with a ship disabled by CD guns. And that scheme was very dangerous!

Post #: 143
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 1:51:30 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Allied battleships bombarded several ports and other installations in the Japanese Home Islands in July/August 45. I haven't found much more than sketchy descriptions of the bombardments other than that they were credited with inflicting some damage to steel mills and oil installations. In what I've seen there was no mention whatever of being engaged by any coastal defenses. The Allies were not apparently intimidated by whatever coastal defenses may have been present.

This is quite correct. Many ports had only obsolescent defenses. And many defenses were damaged in air raids - which left little of military value in most cities. Numbers of the wartime coast defenses (as opposed to the pre war ones) were dual purpose guns - and these were actually inflicting more damage on our raiders than any other asset in Japan - so naturally they were themselves subject to targeting. But the most severe problem was ammunition. Japan had a severe problem with ammunition by that time, and THEN Japan issued orders NOT to use it - to save what there was for the coming invasion battles. This is not altogether different from the decision not to permit the guns to fire at Fort Stevens. Coast defense that don't shoot are not going to hit much! In both cases, the officers were wrong: a bird in the hand: if you have a target you have been waiting years to see - shoot!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 144
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 2:01:08 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Japanese Fire Control certainly doesn't seem to have impressed the US Seacoast Artillery Research Board that analyzed it after the War.
"Obsolescent" is the most prevelant word in their study of the subject. They are much kinder than the board studying Japanese military electronics, who described it as being composed of the kind of materials that anyone could have bought in a radio shop in the States in the 30's.

This reminds me of a long standing argument between me and an academic named John W Dower. He writes - in proper documented scholarly fashion - that Japan deliberately destroyed almost all its records. Then he goes on to argue there was no important technology at all of the sort we debate (which is atomic technology) - because we cannot cite the documents he says were destroyed. [When some of them turn up, he says "it is a deception" because he knows, in advance, it cannot be true! But I submit that a classified document in wartime intended for a tiny, official audience was not written to decieve us decades later.] These boards had very little to study - and what they did have was the stuff regarded as not particularly important to destroy. I do think their views of what they saw are valuable. But to assume this is anything like a complete picture is pretty unwise. Over time a good deal of material - written and testimonial and physical - has come to light - and these conclusions do not stand up well against the test of time. There was nothing at all wrong with Japan's air warning system - air raid sirens routinely gave two hours notice - according to many sources - including American POWs. Japan's effective state of air defense was affected by that most basic of military sciences: logistics. A lack of fuel for fighters or a lack of ammunition for guns does not mean that the fighters or the guns were not effective. We have specific examples that show the opposite. Had Japan not been so constrained in fuel and munitions, and had it not decided NOT TO USE BOTH in order to have stocks for an anticipated major battle, we would have suffered worse casualties. You are confusing operational factors with capability. Not the same thing.

Post #: 145
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 2:10:29 PM   
el cid again

quote:

But the problem is the sheer volume and accuracy of the fire...don't you see a problem with a CL getting hit 90 times!!!?

Nope. But I have the advantage of being trained to fight coast defenses.
We were told the Vietnamese trained (under Soviet doctrine) to get a disabling hit if they could - on ANY ship. To this end they would use "pattern fire" - patterns designed so that, given your course and speed, there was NO maneuver you could use that would take you out of the risk field. All they wanted was ONE lucky hit. THEN they would concentrate fire on the disabled ship - and were expected "to achieve dozens of hits in a matter of minutes, with a high probability of fatal damage in less time than it takes to rig a normal tow." To deal with that we were taught to do something very scary - rig a tow before the disabled vessel stopped - during the passage along side of her - AND (the tricky part if you could rig the lines that fast) PERFECTLY match speed with her at the moment the hawser went taught (else the line will part - and its energized parts will be killing men - not to mention that the target will then get pounded exactly as you don't think is possible). We actually did this - except not under fire - in drill - and got to the point we had a fair chance of pulling it off. It is fantastic seamanship - and as far as I know not even IJN (with the best seamen in the world, in a military sense, due to adverse condition training) attempted it. [NO other nation, then or now, trains in bad conditions for difficult evolutions at sea to the degree Japan does - an no other nation, then or now, loses more lives in peacetime doing such training].

Post #: 146
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 6:14:01 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

Japanese Fire Control certainly doesn't seem to have impressed the US Seacoast Artillery Research Board that analyzed it after the War.

This reminds me of a long standing argument between me and an academic named John W Dower. He writes - in proper documented scholarly fashion - that Japan deliberately destroyed almost all its records. Then he goes on to argue there was no important technology at all of the sort we debate (which is atomic technology) - because we cannot cite the documents he says were destroyed. [When some of them turn up, he says "it is a deception" because he knows, in advance, it cannot be true! But I submit that a classified document in wartime intended for a tiny, official audience was not written to decieve us decades later.] These boards had very little to study - and what they did have was the stuff regarded as not particularly important to destroy. I do think their views of what they saw are valuable. But to assume this is anything like a complete picture is pretty unwise. Over time a good deal of material - written and testimonial and physical - has come to light - and these conclusions do not stand up well against the test of time. There was nothing at all wrong with Japan's air warning system - air raid sirens routinely gave two hours notice - according to many sources - including American POWs. Japan's effective state of air defense was affected by that most basic of military sciences: logistics. A lack of fuel for fighters or a lack of ammunition for guns does not mean that the fighters or the guns were not effective. We have specific examples that show the opposite. Had Japan not been so constrained in fuel and munitions, and had it not decided NOT TO USE BOTH in order to have stocks for an anticipated major battle, we would have suffered worse casualties. You are confusing operational factors with capability. Not the same thing.

I would say offhand that your Mr. Dower sounds like a bit of a putz. Won't be the first or last you meet in the academic world either. The board I refered to had free access to EVERYTHING concerning Japanese Coast Artillery. The war was over, the Japanese had lost, and they were being quite cooperative. While they might have destroyed evidence concerning Germ Research in Manchuria and the like, they had nothing to hide regarding Coast Artillery or AAA or Radar and other regular weapons. With the whole country living from hand to mouth on whatever the US brought in after the war, failure to cooperate might bring starvation. Why risk that to hide the range-finding gear on your unused CD guns?

And I can't buy your arguments about the Tokyo AAA. With the whole city and 100,000+ of their countrymen going up in flames around them, what would they be saving the ammunition for? To defend the rubble? Sometimes you just have to look at things from the viewpoint of common sense. Japanese AAA wasn't very goodl Their Fighters were OK when they had trained pilots and fuel, but their AAA just didn't cut the mustard. They didn't have nearly enough of the one "good to excellent" AAA gun they designed (the 100mm/65) and their fire control lagged behind as well. They HAD to resort to Kamikazes just to have a chance to get through US CAP and Flak. We had trouble with their CAP once in a while, but never with their AAA.

Post #: 147
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 6:42:45 PM   
dereck

quote:

quote:

But the problem is the sheer volume and accuracy of the fire...don't you see a problem with a CL getting hit 90 times!!!?

Nope. But I have the advantage of being trained to fight coast defenses.
We were told the Vietnamese trained (under Soviet doctrine) to get a disabling hit if they could - on ANY ship. To this end they would use "pattern fire" - patterns designed so that, given your course and speed, there was NO maneuver you could use that would take you out of the risk field. All they wanted was ONE lucky hit. THEN they would concentrate fire on the disabled ship - and were expected "to achieve dozens of hits in a matter of minutes, with a high probability of fatal damage in less time than it takes to rig a normal tow." To deal with that we were taught to do something very scary - rig a tow before the disabled vessel stopped - during the passage along side of her - AND (the tricky part if you could rig the lines that fast) PERFECTLY match speed with her at the moment the hawser went taught (else the line will part - and its energized parts will be killing men - not to mention that the target will then get pounded exactly as you don't think is possible). We actually did this - except not under fire - in drill - and got to the point we had a fair chance of pulling it off. It is fantastic seamanship - and as far as I know not even IJN (with the best seamen in the world, in a military sense, due to adverse condition training) attempted it. [NO other nation, then or now, trains in bad conditions for difficult evolutions at sea to the degree Japan does - an no other nation, then or now, loses more lives in peacetime doing such training].

We're not talking VIETNAM El Cid ... we're talking World War II ... many years BEFORE Vietname and where the lessons learned during WWII were applied to Vietnam. Stick on subject and don't muddy the waters.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

Post #: 148
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 6:45:15 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

quote:

I am asking how he hell those pop guns could it me, with the range advantage, that many times.

Spotting aircraft and forward observers. There IS a chance. Don't say something that is possible, even if it isn't 100% is impossible. Battleships could stand off out of range and with the use of spotting aircraft and/or forward observers, and later on in the case of American ships, with radar controlled gunfire COULD and most probably DID hit targets at ranges you would think couldn't be done. But then again we're talking about the Americans/Allies being able to do something better than the Japanese so once again that flies in the face of the standards of posting in this thread.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);

Post #: 149
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/18/2006 6:48:16 PM   
dereck

quote:

One problem we may have is this "show me examples." I am not particularly interested in examples - which in the case of these exotic systems are very rare. Few coast defense battles were fought against proper modern coast defense systems - and those that were didn't get fought in terms that the systems were designed for (see Fort Stevens).
You are missing the big point, which is WHY this is the case: it is because these defenses were too effective to challege with ships - even battleships. You can hardly find an example when real world admirals were not stupid enough to sail into a trap. But you will be hard pressed to find a coast gunner from anywhere who was not confident he could hit a target. And the data supports the gunners.

Funny El Cid. So many other people are willing to post hard facts to back up what they say. People may not necesarily agree with them but they at least have the facts to back up their interpretation. What "facts" do we ever get from you other than you standard rhetoric.

When somebody doesn't swallow your rhetoric happily and ask for more your standard response is to flood the thread with multiple posts that basically don't do much other than to try to show that person how little they know and that you know all it seems.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Coastal Defense Guns Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI