Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something to "fry" your gaming brains!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something to "fry" your gaming brains! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 3:02:36 AM   
2Stepper

Simply amazing! A buddy of mine found a link by accident to quite probably the most advanced board-game iteration of War in the Pacific to date.

Its of the same title and are you ready for this?

It has nearly 9000 counters for starters!

It has 7 full size strategic maps in full color and new tactical maps with 338 individual islands for ground units to battle over.

From reading what details are available, they seem to have bought the rights to the old Victory Games "Pacific War" and have greatly improved on many of the interfaces. They do reference an "original" War in the Pacific boardgame title that I've yet to find a link to, but I think the whole concept is interesting.

My friend and I were discussing what it would take to play it out and something on the order of 6 months of renting out half a gamers store would probably be required. If not longer... Not to mention sacrificing any and all forms of social lives... Added the very real possibility of relationships in the toilet... the list goes on and on...

End cost to the user? $420 bucks US.

Worth it to buy and play? Probably not. The counters alone and the maps would have to be trucked in a dumptruck. But even I have to admit it would be worth having for sentimental value.

Adds new definition to the term "Not for the feint of heart..."

If you like I can post a link here, but I didn't want to tout something new on Matrix's forum for fear of them growling about business, etc. Just thought ya'll might find it of interest.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
Post #: 1
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 3:34:31 AM   
whippleofd

Sounds like that AH (I think) game that came out around 1979-80 that recreated the Normandy invasion down at the company level. I used a full sized table tennis table to set it up - and still had a few coffee tables stratigically placed in the room.

Never found anyone to play it with, but experimented with several what-ifs. Of course first person omniscient kinda took the challenge out of it.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 2
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 3:46:42 AM   
2Stepper

Well imagine 7 strategic level maps 22 x 34" in size, plus 338 individual island maps all broken out so you can scrap for those?

Just absolutely blows your mind. That, plus the obscene task of keeping track of 9000 counters! I think that's the part that gets me the most.

Still intriguing tho...

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 3
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 3:48:14 AM   
RUPD3658

Is there a Zero Bonus?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 4
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 3:49:21 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Is there a Zero Bonus?

i am glad i wasn't drinking anything when i read this!!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 5
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 4:00:05 AM   
treespider

So what's the link?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 4:18:35 AM   
2Stepper

I was reluctant to post it for fear of getting growled at from Matrix, but I figure what the heck. Matrix if this is a no-no, please delete this particular post of mine. The discussion is still worthy on such a HUGE task in a boardgame element. I used to think PACIFIC WAR on a boardgame was big...

Boardgame link

Bottom of the page there's a link to a demo map sample as well. The cost as I said originally is highly prohibitive, but my morbid curiousity is running amok right now.

Enjoy.

EDIT: On a side-note? There might actually BE a "Zero Bonus". One never knows.

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 2/23/2006 4:24:48 AM >

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 7
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:10:17 AM   
RUPD3658

It is only $340 if you pre-order!

Of course I have no one to play it with and my 4 year old son would just color the counters so I think I'll pass. Maybe I could convince my wife that it would be "Us time".

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 8
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:11:35 AM   
RUPD3658

Just thought of something. Do they have a forum? Maybe would could send all of our trouble makers and complainers there to bother someone else!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 9
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:11:48 AM   
rogueusmc

Hey...how did the trip to Austin go?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 10
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:15:26 AM   
Mynok

quote:

Sounds like that AH (I think) game that came out around 1979-80 that recreated the Normandy invasion down at the company level. I used a full sized table tennis table to set it up - and still had a few coffee tables stratigically placed in the room.

The Longest Day. Yeah, I've still got that puppy. Even played it once...partially. Was a well-designed game, but huge.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 11
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:17:13 AM   
aletoledo

I had trouble finding people to play axis & allies, let alone something that size.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 12
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:37:34 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Hey...how did the trip to Austin go?

I go April 8-12.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 13
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 5:56:21 AM   
treespider

The BOARDGAME is a rehash of SPI's War in the Pacific from the 1970's. Albeit with a revised land combat system based on Pacific War. If it's like other stuff from Decision Games it will be practically the same map with revised art work. I might have to tell the wife we're making an investment.

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 14
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 7:11:03 AM   
skrewball

Ok...so who's house are we all going to? lol, I'll bring the pizza.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 15
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 7:33:45 AM   
Jim D Burns

Wow thanks for the link. Its SPI's old War in the Pacific board game revamped, I'm definitely a pre-order purchaser. I own an original unpunched SPI game in pretty good shape still and actually played it twice back in the early 80's with a friends punched game. The game had real problems due to almost no play testing being done. It was basically impossible to ship sufficient supply to Pearl Harbor to run its air force let alone anywhere else in the Pacific due to a broken supply transportation rule.

Air groups used almost an entire month’s supply for a transport chain, Air Wings required far too much supply to ever get enough to even use them. We played a few months both times and tossed in the towel. I hope these issues have been addressed.

Doubt I’ll ever play it again (not enough fanatics like me left anymore), but it’ll be a nice addition to my collection.

Jim

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 16
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 8:05:53 AM   
BossGnome

my god... you know guys, I consider myself something of an "avid wargamer", but being of the new school (not 20 yet), and seeing... this... no guys, just, no.

I must admit this is the first time in my life I have ever said "no I won't play this it looks too complicated to be fun", but seriously, its a) the price of a 1300 pts Warhammer 40k army b) basically unplayable with 99.99% of the earth's population, and c) looks like it has more islands than WITP!!

now seriously a boardgame with more hexes than the computerized WITP is just wrong!!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 17
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 8:35:22 AM   
Drongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

The Longest Day. Yeah, I've still got that puppy. Even played it once...partially. Was a well-designed game, but huge.

There was a similar "monster" comp/batt game of the Normandy invasion from SPI in the 80's. It was called Atlantic Wall. That also required a table tennis table + additional supporting furniture to play. Finishing one full campaign game also finished off our playing group.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 18
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 9:22:27 AM   
bradfordkay

A buddy of mine in college had SPI's WITP. We got it setup on a 6x15 plywood board. Then he got engaged...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Drongo)
Post #: 19
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 1:02:35 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

my god... you know guys, I consider myself something of an "avid wargamer", but being of the new school (not 20 yet), and seeing... this... no guys, just, no.

I must admit this is the first time in my life I have ever said "no I won't play this it looks too complicated to be fun", but seriously, its a) the price of a 1300 pts Warhammer 40k army b) basically unplayable with 99.99% of the earth's population, and c) looks like it has more islands than WITP!!

now seriously a boardgame with more hexes than the computerized WITP is just wrong!!

You were not around before computers like some of us were. When there is no other option but a monster board game, trust me you'll do it if you love wargaming.

Our group was so fanatical we set up a 4 game boards across by 8 boards deep ASL scenario with 2 ½ US divisions attacking a German division defending a river crossing. Talk about massive, I still have the special storage cases (and all the counters) I bought to store all the extra infantry counter sheets we had to buy. LOL it was insane! But we actually played 8 full turns.

After several months at it, fatigue finally wore us out as it was taking 6-8 hours just to do a single fire phase even with 4-6 players working on it non-stop. For a while there we all had most of the fire tables memorized.

Fun to look back on it, but the PC has definitely made me a lazy gamer. I’d never do anything remotely that massive again.

Jim

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 20
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 1:34:52 PM   
Sneer

incredible and unplayable

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 21
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 1:39:57 PM   
treespider

SPI also had another monster "Campaign for North Africa". IIRC it had a rule in it referred to as the Spaghetti rule and tracked the amount of water the Italians had available for pasta. A buddy of mine has it boxed in his garage.

Decision Games is basically revamping all of the old SPI monster classics. They previously re-released War in Europe.

Here's a link to:

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 22
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 2:58:14 PM   
BaitBoy

That is an impressive game. Now if they were to make a computer game version of it . . .

"You go over there and attract their attention while I . . . "

Member Henchmen and Sidekicks Local 272

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 23
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 4:09:45 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

A buddy of mine in college had SPI's WITP. We got it setup on a 6x15 plywood board. Then he got engaged...

This is absolutely a revamp of WitP from SPI. I still have the original game. Every once in a while, I take it out and look at in fondly as I boot up the computer. Besides that, it really takes a team of about six to play the beast, and I don't have enough room in my current parsonage to store all of my boxed AH and other games, let alone set them up - and with the games in my household comes the "paw of cat" rule to go along with the "hand of God" and "Kaptain Klutz" rules.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 24
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 6:00:25 PM   
Sardaukar

Two buddies of mine actually managed to finish a scenario of this:

Longest Day boardgame

Thought it to be quite impressive feat...

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 25
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 6:05:46 PM   
Nikademus

yikes, maybe they should rename it: "The Longest Game"

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 26
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 6:20:55 PM   
Sardaukar

Indeed...1500 counters...so it's not the biggest games even..but close...

"Five separate scenarios are presented using the programmed instruction approach learning only what's only needed to play a scenario before moving on to the next scenario.
Once all the rules have been learned then the campaign game is played which can take up to several months to finish."...

They sure had it in garage for over an year...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 27
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 7:19:04 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Can someone, please, explain to me how in this day and age someone would still like to play board game instead of game on computer?

BTW, I think that authors of that (and other monster board games) should have invested just a little more time/effort and transfer it to computer.

They already have the "heart" of the game (i.e. rules) and they already have the graphics (maps, cards with icons) - why not simply transfer this to computer and, without AI of course, create perfect PBEM or hot seat game?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 28
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 7:31:46 PM   
Mynok

quote:

Can someone, please, explain to me how in this day and age someone would still like to play board game instead of game on computer?

Nostalgia? Some of us grew up on these games because there were no other options.

However, most are also realistic enough to recognize that going to back to "no other option" is unthinkable.

Man, seeing that Longest Day map brings back memories...... Setting up that beast was half the battle. Fascinating game system though. Wish other games would use the unit symbology from that game rather than the ugly NATO one.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 29
RE: Something to "fry" your gaming brains! - 2/23/2006 8:05:51 PM   
2Stepper

"Nostalgia" is 100% the cause I suspect. That or morbid curiousity.

With regards to computers as an option, I can relate to this however. The same friend that pointed out this link to me I'm sure remembers an instance in 1994 when we were both on leave home and elected to break out Task Force Games "Federation and Empire". An enjoyable game for those that liked SFB.

Any rate, four hours into setup we looked at one another with the mutual understanding...

"You do realize we have computers that can set this up and play it in a few minutes right?"

Needless to say all the die-cuts went back into the box and the game went back on the shelf.

All about nostalgia.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something to "fry" your gaming brains! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI