Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Appeasing the enemy: how?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Appeasing the enemy: how? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Appeasing the enemy: how? - 2/26/2006 6:08:03 PM   
Ivan58

I wouldn't say I'm an expert wargamer, but I've seen a lot of it. Now this is the first game that really gets me frustrated, because so often things happen and you don't have a clue why they happen (or not happen).
I started an 1805 campaign as France, applied all of Ralegh's tips and came as far as having the Austrians surrender. I then plied back on France thinking to give the treasury a break and replenish my divisions. But the Russians and the Brits keep harassing me, and they have now set up the Prussians and even the Turks to invade. I'm running here and there but I'm unable to stem the tide.
I tried charming Prussia in to better relations, but nothing works. Offering cease fire or limited surrender is not accepted, they won't give me a break. My divisions dissipate although I'm in home country. Why ? Is there a way, ANY way to pacify the enemy?
I'm now at 865 glory and maybe this is like the bad boy score in EU II: all the world is against you?
Oh Saint Ralegh, patron of the gamers, please help us.
(BTW playing 1.1)

Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of our Province.
Post #: 1
RE: Appeasing the enemy: how? - 2/26/2006 7:49:43 PM   
Treefrog

In a word: no. They will keep coming whether it makes sense to you or not.

For such worth as you may associate to it:

1. Put your whole army in Paris. Your enemies will not coordinate their attack. Defeat them in deal as they come up.

2. Always use detailed combat; you're smarter than the AI.

3. Let your artillery kill the enemy in great numbes and destroy their morale. Let their cavalry break on your squares. Protect your artillery with your "good" infantry beside them in line, hopefully with plowed fields to your front to augment defender casualties and slow them down. Don't put artillery uphill as plunging artillery fire is not effective. Put your weak units in your rear, both to protect them and to create impediments to enemy cavalry sweeping behind you to attack your artillery and supply units from the rear.

4. When the messenger tells you they've broken, pursue them with infantry and cavalry. Break up the 8000 man units into two. Get your formed units into their line of retreat. As their unformed units run past yours and bump into them, a fair number of your enemy will surrender. I like to send all the pow to Brittany; keeps'em out of the way so I can see invaders coming more clearly.

5. When your enemies surrender, take one of their corps to use as your own. After Austria surrendered to me the second time, Archduke Charles and his corps so enjoyed their French service that when the year of servitude was over they switched sides and all became French !!

6. Enjoy.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Ivan58)
Post #: 2
RE: Appeasing the enemy: how? - 2/28/2006 1:31:15 AM   
Ivan58

Thanks treefrog. I had the feeling too that in detailed combat I was more succesful. But this means that the game will take ages to finish . Anyhow let's see what they make of the next patch.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Appeasing the enemy: how? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI