Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some mixed RookieQuestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some mixed RookieQuestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some mixed RookieQuestions - 2/28/2006 8:21:50 AM   
jaffa

Heres my first list:

1. IS there Any other possibility than lookin´thru all the xhundred scenarios and write possibel scennumbs down by hand if u wanna play them scens in historical order? Me and Seng wanted to get into the game by starting the first-dated scens (senf always the more Allied side, me the Axis/Rebel side). and climb up the timeline. But, however, we´re gettin confused by all the pageswitching und lookinthrou....

2. Do infantery Scouting-units (Scouts, Obsever etc.) loose their abilities when stiffed into cars? Or is there any good unit to be packed by in a Tank-Div. 4 to have a blitzing unit which still have excellent scouting abilities?
(As I play Axis @ moment, i´d like to trie German tankrush "blitzkrieg" strategy).

3. How 2 defend? I lost all my def-battles (vs human player^^)allthough i tried different strategies:
-Concentration: giving up some minor objectives to get a strong def on a smaller area.
-Network of small covered strongpoints considering sightarea/shootareas, cover etc. but having no troopcore.

4. How do I use smoke grenades?
It turned out that I, somehow, used them quite ineffective....

5. Mixed troops or tanks seperated (flanking) grps?

6. Airstrikes?
They often bash my own vehicles :(

7. Can i regroup units to make individual Divs?

8.@ all german Generals: Gibt es ein Forum auf Deutsch? Habe immer wieder probleme mich gut auszudrücken, da ich das Militär betreffende englische Fachbegriffe nicht im Wortschatz habe.
(sry ´bout using another language, :D)

Thats it 4 now, I hope I found the right expressions thou my military vocabular is quite limited.

Yes, I´ve used the manual ;)

2 All Govs in the World:
Why spending billions onto war, when u just could use SPWAW (its 4 free^^)?
The ultimate conflict-solver, and all ur Generals would still have a function...
lol

Post #: 1
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 2/28/2006 11:07:05 AM   
jaffa

More Stuff to ask
Those aren´t bout ingame faq but as i´ve been reading thru the threads i have a bunch o´questions again:

first i´d like to say that a thread called "useful links" might be a good source to get around the SPWAW quick.
Furthermore where are those huge campaigns "the Reich" an such are found to dwld?
i didn´t find version 8.4 too
(hehe, I hear u sayin "oh that effing lazy stupid noob want everything presented on a plate" )

Where did u get all those cool pics of WWII vehicles??("useful link" hehe)
This Q. goes especially to omegaall ;)
Or any site containing an overview of WWII weapons (evtl. w/ techn. drawings and/or pics)?

are there "only" 999 scenario-slots?
Where can I get new? How do I delete old?

What is that "programmer convention" people keep talking bout in several threads?

Plz don´t feel punished to answer them all @ once...there will be more :devil:

What are HE and the other shell types mean?

Argh!!
The more infos I try to get the more "???"s my wicked brain spills out.

< Message edited by jaffa -- 2/28/2006 12:04:51 PM >

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 2
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 2/28/2006 3:18:39 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Only time for a few...

1. Scouts do not "scout" while passengers...the game does not allow passenger units to do anything but "go along for the ride". They can't spot, they can't shoot...not realistic, but that's the way it is.

2. Smoke grenades are used by clicking the Smoke button on the Control Panel, or hitting the 'X' hotkey, then clicking in the hex you want to the smoke to appear in. They only work in an adjacent hex.

3. For links to pics and other data, a Google search usually yields many sites. Here are a few I use during my research:

Hyperwar on the Web - http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
WWII Tanks - http://www.onwar.com/tanks/index.htm
ASL Factsheets - http://www.wwiivehicles.com/index.htm
British Regiments - http://www.regiments.org/
Panzerworld - http://www.panzerworld.net/index.html
Carlisle Barracks: US Army Archives - http://carlisle-www.army.mil/Welcome.asp

4. "only 999 scenarios"? Yes, there are "only" 999 slots...more than most other wargames have. To delete one, go into the SCEN folder, find the correct scenario number, and delete the 3 (or 4) files that make up the scenario: scenxxx.dat, scenxxx.cmt, scenxxx.txt, and scenxxx.rec.

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 3
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 2/28/2006 11:25:49 PM   
jaffa

the Question about the "only" 999 slots was just bcause i am a scenario-builder and though, hehe in some years i migh have used all those slots, as i have already bout 500scens installed...hehe wasn´t too serious :D

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 4
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/1/2006 5:39:38 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP
2. Smoke grenades are used by clicking the Smoke button on the Control Panel, or hitting the 'X' hotkey, then clicking in the hex you want to the smoke to appear in. They only work in an adjacent hex.

Tanks that have smoke ammo can shoot to any hex they can see. But when the distance increases, the accuracy decreases.

6. Airplanes usually targets to vechiles (or bunkers, guns...), not infantry. And the pilots look for targets from the area they are called at, not the {i]hex. So call them to strike far enough from your own vechiles, then they are less likely to hit the own troops. But sometimes that still happens. It is hard to identify units from the air.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 5
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/1/2006 8:43:51 PM   
Riun T

Also keep in mind where u set the air entry and exit arrows in the small map box in the right hand bottom of the artillary setup screen. { I try to not have my airstrikes fly from or across my side of the battlefield to setup their targeting, Don't think the pilot can easily see the seperation of the front line too make very accurate runs. RT

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 6
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/2/2006 9:04:15 AM   
jaffa

Thx so far......

But, maby according to my poor English, you understood my question bout smoke wrong.
I´d like to have tactical advices, in what kind of situation I should use it, thou the Inf units have quite limited smokegrenades.
Anyway my Airstrikes (I love those Stukas ) are much more accurate as i use the enter/exit arrows now. From 40:60 loss of Vehicles/ destroyed enemy-stuff to maybe 20:80 or better.
As I´ve played the original SP, I can handle the interface pretty well, but I´m lack of tactical experience, so all my Qs should be understood in that way....except those ´bout SPWaW-features which weren´t implemented to the original Sp.

What is the Depot-Academy?

< Message edited by jaffa -- 3/2/2006 9:06:38 AM >

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 7
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/2/2006 11:33:34 AM   
Major_Mess

Jaffa:

Google SPWaW.com

There is an Academy there (I graduated summa cum laude - I think) with a series of courses that are offered to their members. If you like this game it will be worth your while to at least visit. I think you'll like it.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Major Mess ............... check out my banner.

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 8
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/3/2006 11:40:45 AM   
Korpraali V

The Depot Academy is mostly recommended.

5. Combined arms. Always at least in some form. For example armors and cavalry in Romanians. In more technical countries armors plus motorized or mechanized infantry or infantry riding on tanks (Soviets). At least bring scouts with them. Because if you encounter AA and AT gun concentrations on enemy rear, your tanks are helpless, with low ability of spotting the threat before it's too late.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 9
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/7/2006 10:13:26 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaffa

Thx so far......

But, maby according to my poor English, you understood my question bout smoke wrong.
I´d like to have tactical advices, in what kind of situation I should use it, thou the Inf units have quite limited smokegrenades.

Cover the panzers. At least the weak ones that are vulnerable to small calibre gun fire and can't really shoot back. Use infantry to pop some smoke in front of them. One tactic is to separate one sector from the other by using smoke so that you'll be able to concentrate your forces and get the advantage on that sector without the danger of being disturbed by shots from both flanks or enemy rear. As far as I can remember, that was one German tactic... naturally in larger scale than usually possible in this game.

Also cover the revealed AT and AA guns with smoke if enemy infantry is threathening them (Of course, if you have infantry chopper AA guns or AAMGs then remember to fire first ). Smoke is also good to cover the truck that attempts to take the revealed gun to safe. And when your units withdraw, use smoke to cover it. Usually engineers have more smoke ammo than regular infantry.

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 10
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/8/2006 4:25:26 PM   
Zardoz

Jaffa..if you need a translation from german into English for certain military terms, ask me. I played on-board games for several years in my youth and rather familiar with it (at tax terms ....however, "small talk" is still a problem for me..

"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.

Post #: 11
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/30/2006 9:34:36 AM   
Zap

Since this thread is already made, I would like to ask. How to get units to load using the mouse. The problem is my units are next to the loading vehicle but sometimes ,when I try to load, it will give me a message "to far away".

When I try to use my mouse I can't seem to get my troops to go into the same hex as the loading vehicle. I will click on top of the unit in the hex were my other unit should go but it does not respond.

Only been able to resolve this ,in most cases, by expending my movement points on one unit. Then calculating the movement points on the secound unit so its movement points will be expended exactly in the same hex as the previous unit. This way the units end up together and I can then load it.

any helps on this?

Post #: 12
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/30/2006 10:07:35 AM   
Zardoz

hit in addition the shift-key on your keyboard if troops should enter an already occupied hex.

And for boarding, it is generally easier to hit first the unit to be loaded an then the carrier because this allows to load more then one unit. if you do it the other way round, i. e. click first the carrier and then the unit to be loaded an already boarded unit will be unloaded.

"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 13
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 3/30/2006 8:39:15 PM   
chief

Zap:

previous info is correct. I might add that to load barges, boats etc. you must be in an adjacent hex.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Zardoz)
Post #: 14
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 4/1/2006 6:38:05 AM   
Zap

Yes Chief, I read and applied Zardoz directions thank you both for a quick and correct response

(in reply to Zardoz)
Post #: 15
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 4/1/2006 4:47:53 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaffa
What are HE and the other shell types mean?

See this link

Military acronyms

Goblin

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 16
RE: Some mixed RookieQuestions - 4/1/2006 7:49:33 PM   
vahauser

jaffa,

As long as they are not retreating or routing, then ANY units that have smoke rounds may fire them even if they have already moved and/or are otherwise out of shots. For example, you can load a German 75mm field howitzer into a Stoewer 40 and move and then unload the 75mm field howitzer and then fire as many smoke rounds as you want to provided you have the smoke rounds available.

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some mixed RookieQuestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI