Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finding the perfect bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> Finding the perfect bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finding the perfect bases - 12/8/2005 2:35:22 AM   
Fallschirmjager

To me, bases in this game are even more vital than in WitP
Every platform in the game has a much shorter range so it is vital to find bases close to the front lines that gets your plaforms armed and refuled and back into the fight with as little travel time as possible.
So this thread is an attempt to open discussion on what bases work the best in the following areas.

Supply hubs -
What bases are central enough to serve as a supply hub with as little travel time as possible?

Torpedo reload -
What bases can reload torpedos and are close to the front lines? Vital in a sub war and also for rearming surface ships

Repair -
What bases can ships be repaired at quickly that are not completly in some backwater area.
The quicker a ship gets back to a base the less damage it will have and the quicker repairs can start.
Bases here should be sorted into major repair bases and minor repair bases

Defensibility -
What bases can be more easily defended than others? No use building up a large and useful base only to lose it.

Expandibility -
What bases can be quickly built up and how high in their ceiling?
A non useful base can quickly turn into a very useful base when enough supply and workers are packed onto it.

So let the disscussion begin. This could prove to be a very valuable thread

Post #: 1
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 12/8/2005 2:47:26 PM   
pkpowers

The base has to be size 8 port minium to reload sub torpedoes, am I correct ?

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 2/24/2006 7:59:05 PM   
Mike Carroll

Has to be size 8 to reload torps for subs and ships, unless you have a AD or AS there.

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 3
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 3/2/2006 6:24:13 PM   
dean

I don't have answers to the question of best bases, but thought I would chime in. THis is my first game and I am playing as U.S.. I had to bypass Wake (it had 180,000 men on it). Went south -towards eniewok (i know i spelled that wrong) took a base and am now in the process of fortifying Guam. It is Dec of '24.

NOt sure whether to take other two island in the chain near Guam (tinan and ?Saipan?) or just push through to PI.

To date, there has been no meaningful Japanese counterattack. I am however playing on a relatively weak (historical) setting.

Any thoughts about where to attack next?

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 4
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 3/2/2006 7:51:52 PM   
Mike Carroll

Island hopping is perfectly legitimate if you are able to keep your forward base supplied. Just because the Japanese have troops on a base does not mean you have to take. This is even more true in WPO where you do not have long-range bombers. In WWII the Allies bypassed Truk and just cut it off from supply making it useless to the Japanese.

You need to see if you can cut-off and blockade the Japanese bases you bypass and you need to stockpile supplies and fuel for your next move, while at the same time protecting your line of supply.

Seems like you have advanced far vs. the AI. I think the AI is fairly good as long as you do historical type things, but you may want to try a PBEM game. Once you go against another human it is hard to go back

(in reply to dean)
Post #: 5
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 3/22/2006 9:07:34 PM   
KPatton

It may be a bug, but I found a sub pack (4 subs) , would not reload torps in Manila until I disbanded it and reformed it.

(in reply to Mike Carroll)
Post #: 6
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 4/20/2006 6:45:04 AM   
Anthropoid

The torp loading thing seems to be a bit inconsistent. I could not get torps to load at Wenchow but could at Hong Kong, neither of which was size 8. Think Wenchow was about size 4 and Hong Kong size 6 or thereabouts.

So just having an AD, or AS in a hex (even if not loaded with supplies) will allow subs to load torps there?

I like the auxiliary ships. Definitely adds a lot to the game, but I wish it was a bit more clear how they work. I've confirmed that an AV provides Aviation support, so if you have a size 1 airbase, and an AV you can base both an FP, LB, and F units and still have some aviation support left over. But I still do not understand for sure if it is better to send AS ships out to small ports and let them boost their sub-repairing and sub-supplying at those small ports, or to keep them back at Pearl where the boost is perhaps stronger?

Also, what are those AE ships for? Ammo, I know, but what exactly does that mean? Should I send those out to provide shells to a long working bombarding TF?

(in reply to KPatton)
Post #: 7
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 4/20/2006 5:44:27 PM   
Mike Carroll

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

The torp loading thing seems to be a bit inconsistent. I could not get torps to load at Wenchow but could at Hong Kong, neither of which was size 8. Think Wenchow was about size 4 and Hong Kong size 6 or thereabouts.

So just having an AD, or AS in a hex (even if not loaded with supplies) will allow subs to load torps there?

I like the auxiliary ships. Definitely adds a lot to the game, but I wish it was a bit more clear how they work. I've confirmed that an AV provides Aviation support, so if you have a size 1 airbase, and an AV you can base both an FP, LB, and F units and still have some aviation support left over. But I still do not understand for sure if it is better to send AS ships out to small ports and let them boost their sub-repairing and sub-supplying at those small ports, or to keep them back at Pearl where the boost is perhaps stronger?

Also, what are those AE ships for? Ammo, I know, but what exactly does that mean? Should I send those out to provide shells to a long working bombarding TF?

In the manual if you look at section 14.2.1 (on page 142) it spells out what each of the Tender types does. Remember AVs only lend their aviation support to float planes.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 4/22/2006 8:58:35 PM   
Anthropoid

Thanks Mike.

(in reply to Mike Carroll)
Post #: 9
RE: Finding the perfect bases - 9/8/2006 1:46:07 AM   
engineer

In reply to Dean, the actual USN War Plan Orange for 1922 called for a two stage return to the Philippines.  First, Eniwetok would be taken from Pearl Harbor.  Then Truk would be taken from the advanced base at Eniwetok.  At that point, US forces would return to the Philippines and either relieve the US forces there or retake the islands from the Japanese.   The main fleet action was anticipated either in the final approach to the Philippines or in post-Philippine operations to put a blockade on Japan.

Guam was not on the schedule since the harbor at Guam was so inferior to the atolls in the Mandates. 

One historical proposal that died in Congress given the post-war diplomacy was to turn Guam into a citadel.  The island would be fortified with a division of troops, 4x16 inch rifles, more 6 inch rifles, and two big batteries of either 12 inch or 16 inch mortars (similar to the installations on Corregidor).  A large contingent of torpedo boats was also planned, along with a dockyard and store houses was planned.  I have to admit that I haven't studied the full map scenarios to see if this is in WPO or not. 

I just got WPO last week and am working through Pacific Jutland to learn the system.  

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> Finding the perfect bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI