Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 4:10:23 AM   
Zap

It must be a game that was mass produced for commercial use; not made for military use. The reason for this is that those made for the military have too many resources(money) available to them. It would be unfair to class them with the commercial games.

Playability of a game should not be a reason for your selection.
Judge which game best brought the sense of that particular war or battle to a level of realism beyoubd all other games.

My choice would be Avalon Hills "The Third Riech".

Limit your choice to one or two games at the most.

Post #: 1
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 4:50:31 AM   
Sarge

1) CMBB

2) CMAK

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 7:37:15 AM   
ravinhood

War of the Lance

Battles of Napoleon

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 9:50:15 AM   
Hertston

Hmmm... I'd have to consider the terms of reference here. Can any game above tactical level be "realistic" at all in any meaningful way?

It's hard to comment not being a miltary man, but it would be hard to argue against Sarge's choices. I think, as best I can judge, that the Prosim Armored Task Force series is also pretty good in that respect. I've played 'Falklands 1982' and 'The Star and the Crescent' a fair bit and they always seem to pan out in a suitably realistic and historical fashion.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 2:55:35 PM   
wodin

I couldnt really say.

HTTR is pretty realistic I expect at operational/tactical level.

ASL must be the most realistic tactical game made.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 5:31:47 PM   
JSS

For direct game play its CM. These games are really well done IMHO...

For campaign play (operational/strategic) I really, really think BII is the best. The games play out extremely well. No other game compares in terms of getting the historical feel of a campaign. Take Battle of the Bulge for example... lots of historical discussion as to whether Patton's idea of attacking at the shoulders to cut off the entire Bulge was possible. BII (or BiN or even KP) lets you get a feel for just how hard this would have been to accomplish.

Honorable mention goes to Combined Arms. Sounds like the combat mechanism will be phenomenal... plus its WEGO... perfect for a grand tactical game.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 6:14:25 PM   
scout1

quote:

Honorable mention goes to Combined Arms. Sounds like the combat mechanism will be phenomenal... plus its WEGO... perfect for a grand tactical game.

Hard to give Honorable Mention to a game that will never see the light of day ....

Though I sure wish it would

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 7
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 9:14:35 PM   
Zimmerit

Does Operation flashpoint count?
Vehicle damage was a bit chincy, But otherwise a great combined arms tactical game with pretty good AI.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 8
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 9:14:45 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Hard to give Honorable Mention to a game that will never see the light of day ....

Though I sure wish it would

Oooooh, I think it will. Sure looks like the basic game engine is in place. Can take awhile to do the AI.

Certainly hope they get the AI to do something reasonable (without crashing), claim victory, and release it

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 9
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/4/2006 9:29:02 PM   
scout1

Sure would like to see a WEGO system. Has alot of potential ...

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 10
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/5/2006 12:09:33 AM   
Zap

I think you could make mention of any level game Operational/tactical.

To answer your question Herston. It may be difficult to realize it at operational level. But I guess what the operational level game should accomplish is giving one a sense of 1 or several of these: logistics difficuties/realistic battle results/political influences/a sense of tide and flow of battle (or war if the game is on a grand scale.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 11
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/5/2006 12:53:14 AM   
Sarge

Are we talking Operational

If so I would imagine HTTR ranks with the best of them, but hell I have no idea or experience in what it takes in the real world to move anything above modern Squad level in a tactical situation , E5 is about the level of my experience.

So I guess I would be unqualified as any of ya

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 12
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/5/2006 1:03:18 AM   
Zap

Sarge, operational level commentas are acceptable, its only from the gamers perspective I had in mind when I made the post. You don't have to be a world leader or a General with combat experience to put in your 2cents worth
But your right, tactical level is best to give an opion on.
How ya doing!

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 13
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/8/2006 11:59:17 AM   
Zap

All said about the comments that wargames (operational) can't be realistic.

Operational games can give some sense of how a battle or War goes. I buy my games with the hope the developer will try and bring that sense of history) to an operational game. At least, that was (I thought )the goal of the early wargame developers, right?

< Message edited by Zap -- 3/8/2006 6:18:46 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 14
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/8/2006 1:05:00 PM   
JudgeDredd

I think the AA:RDOA etc series. When those aircraft drop their bombs, you really think about hiding under the desk. Also, when you set artillery on at max rate of fire and see it hitting, you tend to think "Bugger!! What have I done!?" lol

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 15
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/8/2006 2:38:47 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I think the AA:RDOA etc series. When those aircraft drop their bombs, you really think about hiding under the desk. Also, when you set artillery on at max rate of fire and see it hitting, you tend to think "Bugger!! What have I done!?" lol

Agreed completely. I have played many games in the last 35 years. Nothing has given me the fear of Arty like the Airborne Assault series ... people tend to forget just how high of a percentage of total firepower of an army comes from her big guns ...

I remember once where I tried to hide a bunch of units in some woods only to have every one of them decimated by some heavy guns. Cost me over 70% of my troops!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/10/2006 1:35:11 AM   
Viper6

Perhaps in slightly different genres here but I would certainly count in games such as Steel Beasts and Falcon 4.0; these are more along the lines of simulations than actual war games though both encompass fairly substantial planning and forethought.

Also, I think I must nominate Flashpoint Germany ... but perhaps I am a little biased in that regard

Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 17
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/10/2006 5:19:25 AM   
Brady

ASL without question.

Generaly Speaking operational leval games are so wattered down that they leave me wanting, they are so generalised by their very scope as to be inhearently unrealistic. WiTP despite the fact I love it dearly is very Unrealistc on many levals, it is a great game but Icant take it to seriously. ASL I took and do take very seriously howeaver.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Viper6)
Post #: 18
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/10/2006 5:38:08 AM   
DROregon

Harpoon

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 19
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/10/2006 9:55:47 AM   
hermanhum

Dangerous Waters

(in reply to DROregon)
Post #: 20
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/11/2006 7:02:31 AM   
riverbravo

Silent hunter 3....I was really digging that one. I would play that late at night in real time and fall asleep listening to the boat moan from the pressure.

The CC series..mostly 2,3 & 5 with mods. I got the most online play out of that series than any other RTS game.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 21
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/11/2006 10:36:30 AM   
Dragoon 45

Zap,

Most wargamers would be sadly disappointed in the actual wargames the military uses. JANUS is the current tactical level Army wargame unless it has been replaced in the last year and is very unrealistic in my opinion. Having played the OPFOR side against a Bn Staff numerous times I found the simulation too dependent on human factors. Not combat friction type factors, but factors like bad programing, faulty input of data (i.e. unit types and capabilities, etc.) and inexperience of the computer operators who were tasked to control a small sub-unit (normally speciality plts and line companies). Most modern military computer wargames are designed to exercise a staff in staff functions, not to fight a battle to figure out what the outcome would be. Any tactical wargaming that is done to develop or refine a plan is done on either a map or a terrain model, and it is done under time constraints so it is done very quickly most of the time only using force ratios to determine the outcome.

I have played the Combat Mission series and found a steep learning curve attached to them. My personal choice for best tactical wargame is Steel Panthers World at War. I found that game to be the best out there for teaching young soldiers and young officers how to employ combined arms. Smoke danger areas, always support tanks with infantry, never lead with tanks in urban areas, suppress the enemy before you start your final assault; these are all lessons that are pertinent to modern warfare and are taught by this game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

It must be a game that was mass produced for commercial use; not made for military use. The reason for this is that those made for the military have too many resources(money) available to them. It would be unfair to class them with the commercial games.

Playability of a game should not be a reason for your selection.
Judge which game best brought the sense of that particular war or battle to a level of realism beyoubd all other games.

My choice would be Avalon Hills "The Third Riech".

Limit your choice to one or two games at the most.

Artillery always has the Right of Way

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 22
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/13/2006 6:15:36 AM   
Zap

quote:

have played the Combat Mission series and found a steep learning curve attached to them. My personal choice for best tactical wargame is Steel Panthers World at War. I found that game to be the best out there for teaching young soldiers and young officers how to employ combined arms. Smoke danger areas, always support tanks with infantry, never lead with tanks in urban areas, suppress the enemy before you start your final assault; these are all lessons that are pertinent to modern warfare and are taught by this game.

Dragoon 45,

I ampresently enjoying SP:WAW And yes, all those things mentioned above I am learning as I play the game. Its a great game. Though I have a special liking to sending in the tanks unsupported.

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 23
RE: Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices - 3/15/2006 12:44:59 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Though I have a special liking to sending in the tanks unsupported. {snip}

Zap! I thought we talked about this

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most realistic commercial/wargame made? 2choices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI