Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Draft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Draft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Draft - 3/7/2006 4:18:43 AM   
twoody78

Is it possible to bypass the draft? if not can you add that? Put an option in for the number of rounds for the draft and we could set it to 0 if we so choose. With my high school league I want to simply assign players based upon luck of the draw (randomness of the moment). If the player turns out to suck so be it... most high schools don't have a wealth of talent to choose from and have to deal with what's there, not what they choose.

Post #: 1
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:23:56 AM   
David Winter

With the build you have now, no it's not. With the patch that's coming shortly, yes it is. You'll be able to simply create a team and go directly into quick play, if the team has no players (or not enough) than a suitable random roster will be generated and the depth chart fleshed out.

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 2
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:26:10 AM   
twoody78

quote:

no it's not. With the patch that's coming shortly, yes it is. You'll be able to simply create a team and go directly into quick play, if the team has no players (or not enough) than a suitable random roster will be generated and the depth chart fleshed out.

OK... so that carries over into league play too?

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 3
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:28:05 AM   
David Winter

Ahh okay.. I see what you're getting at now.

Hmm no, to start a season, even in the new build, you'd need to run a draft. I'll see about adding something that lets you skip the draft and the training camp portions(?) and just use random rosters. I don't think that's going to get in the first update though.

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 4
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:32:54 AM   
twoody78

quote:

rosters. I don't think that's going to get in the first update though.

OK thanks David... I can figure my way out around the draft issue in the meantime.

Seems the easiest way to do it would be to add a field (ie DraftRounds) to the leagues table in the league database and let people set it to what they want...

< Message edited by twoody78 -- 3/7/2006 4:33:06 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:33:29 AM   
Brockleigh

Okay, it's off topic, I know, but Dave did mention 'The Patch'... and I was wondering...

Dave, didja ever find that missing patch for CFL'99? That game is still fun to pull out from time to time.

Post #: 6
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 4:56:09 AM   
CFL_FAN_7

quote:

Is it possible to bypass the draft? if not can you add that? Put an option in for the number of rounds for the draft and we could set it to 0 if we so choose.With my high school league I want to simply assign players based upon luck of the draw (randomness of the moment). If the player turns out to suck so be it... most high schools don't have a wealth of talent to choose from and have to deal with what's there, not what they choose.

-Why would you make a high school league? I find this interesting...
-If the game's so flexible u should be able to set # of draft rounds and # of draft picks p/round

(in reply to Brockleigh)
Post #: 7
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 5:16:38 AM   
twoody78

I love high school football. There is no recruitment so to speak, it's just luck of the draw and building up a program. I'm in the process of writing some code that will allow for the winning programs to get better players since the good schools traditionally stay good and the bad schools usually stay bad, until they are able to turn it around.

My goal is to do high school to college to pro but we'll see how far I get with it... The hardest part of that for me will be figuring out how to do recruiting for the college teams...

I'm thinking I'll have roughly 150-200 high school teams 50-75 college and about 18 pro.

For my high school league, I'm going to have 4 conferences with 4 divisions in each. Each conference will really be a state (I'm doing Ohio (where I'm from), California, Texas and Florida) and then making up divisions (conferences) and such within them. The playoffs will be determined by a similar formula to the computer ranking system Ohio uses and each conference champ will be a State Champ and then there will be a national championship tourney with the 4 state champs...

I had a lot of my high school code already done but unfortunately the CD I burnt my backups onto won't read on my CD-ROM and the original code was on my old work PC before I switched jobs, so I have to rewrite everything unless I stumble across another CD it might be on (here's hoping).

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 8
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 5:18:39 AM   
CFL_FAN_7

You must have lots of time because that's a lot of work. I like that idea, it's similar to my 2 importing ideas.

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 9
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 5:21:56 AM   
twoody78

hehe... not that much time... just ambitious ;)

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 10
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 5:25:03 AM   
CFL_FAN_7

i see...lol, but I really like that idea

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 11
RE: Draft - 3/7/2006 5:56:43 PM   
craterus

quote:

ORIGINAL: twoody78

I'm thinking I'll have roughly 150-200 high school teams 50-75 college and about 18 pro.

For my high school league, I'm going to have 4 conferences with 4 divisions in each. Each conference will really be a state (I'm doing Ohio (where I'm from), California, Texas and Florida) and then making up divisions (conferences) and such within them. The playoffs will be determined by a similar formula to the computer ranking system Ohio uses and each conference champ will be a State Champ and then there will be a national championship tourney with the 4 state champs...

sounds VERY cool - check out my soccer league format in the wishlist section of the forum... if there was a format like they have in europe for soccer then you could turn off relagation and mod in a few things...

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 12
RE: Draft - 3/8/2006 12:58:13 AM   
Bimf_the_Funky

That's some cool thinking there, twoody! :)

(in reply to craterus)
Post #: 13
RE: Draft - 3/8/2006 2:10:17 AM   
twoody78

Thanks guys... the easy way around the draft for now is to let the draft happen then run an update query that sets all first year guys team back to 0 (free agent). I can then run my code to assign the players to the teams... (just have to rewrite that part ) You could also do this for any league if you'd like... just reset the first year guys team to 0 for any round they were drafted past X (whatever round you want)...

(in reply to Bimf_the_Funky)
Post #: 14
RE: Draft - 3/9/2006 3:55:02 AM   
CFL_FAN_7

Can you actually import players??

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 15
RE: Draft - 3/9/2006 5:52:26 AM   
twoody78

Yes... For now I'm just going to randomly assign the ones the game makes. I have the code for that about half done...

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 16
RE: Draft - 3/9/2006 5:54:45 AM   
CFL_FAN_7

o how does the importing work???

(in reply to twoody78)
Post #: 17
RE: Draft - 3/9/2006 4:47:43 PM   
gambler

twoody78: What language are you using? Currently I have code that does just that, although based on profile criteria of how teams weight different positions (but they're not locked into a specific position each round). I did it in Perl and hope to have an executable of it created this weekend.

(in reply to CFL_FAN_7)
Post #: 18
RE: Draft - 3/9/2006 5:00:54 PM   
Tullius

quote:

Is it possible to bypass the draft?

Look here (To edit the databases we have now better choices and first a utility by Magnum).

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1077943&mpage=1&key=��

< Message edited by Tullius -- 3/9/2006 5:01:52 PM >

(in reply to gambler)
Post #: 19
RE: Draft - 3/10/2006 12:58:31 AM   
twoody78

Cool, my way was different... just let the draft happen and reset all first year players team to 0 or to set every player drafted after round X to 0. Just a simple update query... Changing the draft round definitely is easier in my case.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Draft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI