Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New User Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> New User Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New User Questions - 3/13/2006 10:15:10 PM   
dave sindel

Hello all, I am a new to WPO. I downloaded it a week ago, printed the user manual, and have spent the last week "studying" and playing both sides of the Jutland scenario to get a feel for the game. I have a few questions.

1)It seems difficult to move air units from base to base, because of the limited ranges. Is it possible to load air units onto transports for an extended sea voyage? i.e. they could be / would be considered crated like for road / rail transport. If so, how do you go about it?

2) I would think that you could send a seaplane tender to an island base that does not yet have an airfield and then transfer sea planes or float planes to that base. They dont need a physical airfield to land and the tender could serve as their "airfield support".

3) Are "carrier capable" units allowed to launch airstrikes from CV units? Or does a unit have to be "carrier trained"? I transferred a couple of "carrier capable" torpedo bomber units from Clark Field onto the Hosho, and could NOT get an airstrike out of them. I could get the original Hosho air squadrons to launch, before this transfer so I know how to set an airstrike up. But I could not get these torpedo bombers to do anything.
Post #: 1
RE: New User Questions - 3/13/2006 10:19:12 PM   
Terminus

1): Yes, you can. They can be put in boxes and loaded onto AK's.

2): You're 100% correct. That's what they're for.

3): "Carrier Capable" or "Carrier Trained" is irrelevant in this case, but there's about 8,000 other things that have to click as well for air strikes to launch. I'd say you just got unlucky.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 2
RE: New User Questions - 3/13/2006 10:21:49 PM   
dave sindel

Thanks for the quick response. What is the procedure for loading air units onto transports? When I hit "select unit" it only brings up the ground troops

I have sent an AV unit to a base within range of a Felixstowe Seaplane squadron - but when I try to transfer the squadron, that base doesnt show in the list of possibilities.

Post #: 3
RE: New User Questions - 3/13/2006 10:25:39 PM   
Terminus

You load aircraft just like any other unit, but they can't be assigned to any of the so-called "restricted" commands. Check Section 7.1.1 in the manual for a list of these commands.

As for your Felixstowe problem, I'd box them up and sail them there. If you try and transfer them by air, and they're under a restricted command, and the target base isn't under the same command, no dice. See Section 7.1.1 again.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 4
RE: New User Questions - 3/19/2006 12:48:26 PM   
JeffroK

You can also "Select map" to transfer the planes, maybe the base doesnt show because there isnt an airfield.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: New User Questions - 4/20/2006 6:49:41 AM   
Anthropoid

I have a couple Newbie questions too:

(1) Support: (a) do both Engineers and HQs provide it? (b) does it accumulate?

(2) Carrier Trained: Does unit that is Carrier Capable need to train on a CV to become Carrier Trained? Is there an Experience level that must be attained first or something?

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 6
RE: New User Questions - 4/20/2006 5:35:01 PM   
Mike Carroll

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I have a couple Newbie questions too:

(1) Support: (a) do both Engineers and HQs provide it? (b) does it accumulate?

(2) Carrier Trained: Does unit that is Carrier Capable need to train on a CV to become Carrier Trained? Is there an Experience level that must be attained first or something?

(1) If you look at the base screen it will show the total support available and the total support required at the base. Most units have some support troops, but frequently combat troops do not have enough support. All support from all units at a base are cumulative.

(2) Carrier Trained vs. Carrier Capable. A squadron can not become "Carrier Trained". The only difference between the two is that the "Carrier Capable" experience higher operational losses when operating from carriers. Both types can operate from carriers, but you would prefer to use Carrier Trained units when available.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 7
RE: New User Questions - 4/21/2006 1:56:01 AM   
Anthropoid

Thanks Mike! So it is cumulative, that is very helpful to know.

But does it _accumulate_? Meaning, does support "pile up" in a hex over time?

Example: I have an ENG (18 support squads), an HQ (18 support squads) an FP (supported by an AV), and a coulple INF in Tawi Tawi. Lets say for example that the INF needs 43 support, but only has 32 (just example, not exact numbers, don't have the game open right now). If I leave that hex for several days, and do nothing else, except leave thosee units alone, will the INF gradually get his support level up to his needed level? Or is the only way to get his support level up to bring in an additional 11 support points from some other unit?

(in reply to Mike Carroll)
Post #: 8
RE: New User Questions - 4/21/2006 9:51:18 AM   
Pkunzipper

No, it doesn't pile up...
In your example you'll need to bring there an HQ unit or a Base Force, else the INF unit squad/artillery will begin to get disrupted, untill the support requiremnt of the un-disrupted ones falls to 32 (using your example numbers).

In addition to what Mike said:
"Carrier Capable" means the squadron aircrafts are equipped to operate from carriers, but the crew is not trained on take off/landings, so it will get higher op.losses.
"Carrier Trained" means the aircraft are equipped to operate from carriers, and the crew (and all the pilots that will came as replacements) have been trained for take offs and landings on a flattop.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 9
RE: New User Questions - 4/21/2006 10:55:26 PM   
Hog of War

I find that combat units that don't have enough support will not move overland. Is this generally true?

(in reply to Pkunzipper)
Post #: 10
RE: New User Questions - 4/21/2006 11:20:40 PM   
Mike Carroll

The only reason a combat unit would not move would be because it has a fixed component in the TOE (such as warlords in many Chinese units) or it is not a valid move because of supply requirements. I am not sure that support makes any difference. However it may well slow things down a bit.

(in reply to Hog of War)
Post #: 11
RE: New User Questions - 4/22/2006 8:53:32 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Carroll

The only reason a combat unit would not move would be because it has a fixed component in the TOE (such as warlords in many Chinese units) or it is not a valid move because of supply requirements. I am not sure that support makes any difference. However it may well slow things down a bit.

re: this issue, I figured out that it may actually be "more efficient" to simply take the casualties involved in making an amphibious assault on an enemy-held base, than to land a force two hexes away on rugged terrain with only a road. I did this on the island shared by Tay Tay and Puerto Princess, two hexes south of Jap held Tay Tay. First off it took FOREVER for all my soldiers to disembark. By the time they were unloaded, they were thoroughly fatigued, disrupted (had not yet figured out this whole supply deal and the need to preferably ALWAYS have enough support in the hex, so they had been flailing around for many days with insuff support), and probably low on supply too. They were making progress north toward Tay Tay at a snails pace (like 5 miles per day), but I won a Marginal Victory (the Pacific Jutland scenario).

(in reply to Mike Carroll)
Post #: 12
RE: New User Questions - 6/2/2006 2:26:57 PM   
turkey1

I have a question re WPO

I have been using WITP for about 6 months playing full map scenarios that have production turned on.

I note all WPO's scenarios have production turned off.

So the question is 1) do I need to tranfer oil and resources back to Heavy industry centres in order to generate supplies and fuel in WPO and 2) Do resource and oil centres produce fuel and supplies like in WITP and 3) If the above doesn't happen how do supplies and fuel get produced and where can I see the volumes at each location

Thanks

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: New User Questions - 6/3/2006 5:19:41 AM   
Rysyonok

Fuel and supplies just appear so just note where that happens =) Don't worry about oil and resources until a scenario with production on is created.

(in reply to turkey1)
Post #: 14
RE: New User Questions - 8/9/2006 9:47:57 AM   
mac5732

which scenerios are these, or do you have to make your own in order to have production on? This is a little confusing as there is hardly anything at all mentioned on this topic in the manual. Could use a little more explanation on production and the use of oil and resources and which scenerios or whatever they are used. Since you stated scenerios I take this that production is not on in the campaigns...

Could have been better written in the manual to avoid this confusion

Beware: Crochety Old Geezers Play WIP and SEIV in between bathroom Runs :)

(in reply to Rysyonok)
Post #: 15
RE: New User Questions - 8/9/2006 10:46:00 AM   
Helpless

There is a hope that production will be on in coming patches. There is no way to enable it with editor.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to mac5732)
Post #: 16
RE: New User Questions - 8/9/2006 4:34:02 PM   
Tankerace

It can be enabled in the editor, but resources, HI, factories, and all that other fun stuff would have to be added in, tested, balanced, and create a ton of work... hence why it is taking me so long, coupled with all the other 1.3 goodies.

As to the poorly written manual section , the reason it is not written is because no scenario/campaign that shipped with WPO makes use of production, but all of the elements are still in the game. When the production campaigns are released in the 1.3 patch, I will also release an addendum which is basically the Production section from the WitP manual. I chose not to remove all the facets on how production can/does affect things, as that would create more questions for new customers than if I left it in, but as scenarios 1-8 do not use production, there was no reason to keep that section in the manual.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> New User Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI