Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why should I buy this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Why should I buy this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why should I buy this game? - 3/14/2006 4:46:08 PM   
Wilhammer

I really, really want to have a great Strategic Nappy game on my PC with out bugginess.

So, please, try to sell me this game.

From what I have read and seen, I am not yet convinced.

Post #: 1
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/14/2006 5:49:41 PM   
cambronne

First, you should buy it because it will make me happy.

Second, you should buy it because it is a good game.

I have not found it to be "buggy". I did have a few CTDs early on, but not since the last patch. There are a few things that annoy me, but they are small problems and do not interfere with my enjoyment of the game.

I have played every Nappy game out there and find this one of the best.
The others that I liked were the "Battleground" series and the old "Battles of Napoleon".

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 2
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/15/2006 7:39:03 AM   
Grand_Armee

Buy it, because if you don't, you will spend the rest of your life wondering what kind of joy you have missed. Heck, what's some 30 bucks? Most men can spend more on a night of drinks and trying to get laid than this game cost.

(in reply to cambronne)
Post #: 3
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/15/2006 8:18:11 AM   
Reiryc

I suggest another thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1045339

It doesn't give a laundry list but instead provides points from those who started out disliking (the original poster hated the game) but found that once they 'figured it out' they really enjoyed the game a lot.

I can only note that for me, I've had a ton of fun with this thing, both online a few times and with the AI. I eagerly await the next patch as each successive patch seems to improve or refine what is already a fine game.

(in reply to Grand_Armee)
Post #: 4
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/18/2006 12:23:34 PM   
ravinhood

There's your answer in the above post. "successive patches". I'd wait till every patch is done, the game will still be there won't it? And then you'll get a fully patched game and not a half assed game. I personally don't like learning how to play a game one way and then each "successive" patch having to learn how to play another way or they change the game up so much it's completely different from the origional game out of the box. ala Paradox HOI as an example.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 5
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/18/2006 4:18:41 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

There's your answer in the above post. "successive patches". I'd wait till every patch is done, the game will still be there won't it? And then you'll get a fully patched game and not a half assed game. I personally don't like learning how to play a game one way and then each "successive" patch having to learn how to play another way or they change the game up so much it's completely different from the origional game out of the box. ala Paradox HOI as an example.

That is a ridicules statement , COG is far from half finished in its present state. And to boot your making comparisons to a title done by a completely different developer that has nothing in common with COG.

The "successive patches" of COD is hardly a attempt to reinvent the wheel , on the contrary I think it’s a little more along the lines of refinement.

HOI and its "out of box" issues is hardly a fair comparison

< Message edited by Sarge -- 3/18/2006 4:27:00 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/18/2006 5:23:49 PM   
Soft Heap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilhammer

No, I won't. I gambled and bought the game immediately when it came out and got rewarded by an excellent game. This is post no. 4 or 5 by someone who needs to be convinced; read the posts and be, you know, like a man and make yer decission. Because, frankly, it doesn't make my life for better or for worse whether you buy it or not (some appropriate smiley here).

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 7
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/18/2006 5:56:06 PM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

That is a ridicules statement , COG is far from half finished in its present state. And to boot your making comparisons to a title done by a completely different developer that has nothing in common with COG.

The "successive patches" of COD is hardly a attempt to reinvent the wheel , on the contrary I think it’s a little more along the lines of refinement.

HOI and its "out of box" issues is hardly a fair comparison

Well you have to consider the source of that post and deal with it accordingly...

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/25/2006 12:11:50 AM   
Joram

quote:

I really, really want to have a great Strategic Nappy game on my PC with out bugginess.

I think this game is a lot of fun, until you learn how to beat it. Supposedly 1.2 has improved AI but I don't know, I haven't tried the many beta patches because I didn't pay to betatest a game. I think you would like it for many of the reasons people have said here, but I also agree with Raven, wait for the final 1.2 patch. I won't recommend it in it's current state.

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 9
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/25/2006 2:05:38 AM   
Krec

COG is the best napolean era game goin.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/25/2006 9:21:34 AM   
Grand_Armee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

quote:

I think this game is a lot of fun, until you learn how to beat it. Supposedly 1.2 has improved AI but I don't know, I haven't tried the many beta patches because I didn't pay to betatest a game. I think you would like it for many of the reasons people have said here, but I also agree with Raven, wait for the final 1.2 patch. I won't recommend it in it's current state.

RE the AI: The true magic of this game is that you can play it against another human being no matter how far they are from you...and it's fun to play humans! No AI is ever going to be unbeatable after a period of learning by the player.

No matter what kind of software, no matter how powerful the computer, no AI can do what you want...and what you want is an AI that can act like a human.

Skynet hasn't come online, yet...I don't reckon it will.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 11
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/25/2006 3:31:59 PM   
mogami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

haven't tried the many beta patches because I didn't pay to betatest a game.

Hi, You mean the TWO patches that take 30 seconds to download and install?

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/25/2006 6:17:23 PM   
JReb

quote:

Its a solid product with many micro-managing options if you at enjoy that. Plus its a campaign game which does not appeal to some but I like the longer games that take days or weeks to play through instead of hours. Bugs are minimal and overall, it is just fun to play.
Plus teenagers irritate me so I set the draft age at 14 and send them all to military school where they belong.

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 13
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/27/2006 8:41:24 PM   
Wilhammer

I will wait for patch 1.2 and reports on it here, before I commit.

It is not the money; it is the time. Commiting to a strategy game of this scale requires it to be efficient - I don't want to have to start over and over again due to patch frenzy.

Is much want to have a great experience with a Napoleonic Strategy game, but, I don't want to be an early adopter frustrated until it is finally and firmly patched.

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 14
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/27/2006 11:06:58 PM   
mogami

Hi, I have never restarted a game because of problems with the game. I've played around 40 complete games.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 15
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/28/2006 10:55:18 AM   
Grand_Armee

This game has an autosave feature for up to 10 turns. If I get a bad file, I just go back one or two. Those of you waiting for version 1.2 are missing on some great fun. I've never had to restart a game, either.

There hasn't been any patch frenzy that I have seen. Wait if you want. This game rocks...especially online.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 16
RE: Why should I buy this game? - 3/28/2006 4:24:07 PM   
Malagant

I fell in love with this game before the first patch.

The first patch made it even better.

When the 'beta' patches started, I got in a mode of waiting for the final version, and didn't play for many months.

Last week I started playing again, and have fallen in love with the game all over again.

My only complaint is that the Strategic and Tactical AI makes some pretty poor decisions, but this has NOT detracted from my enjoyment of the game at all.

If Napoleonic 'Grand Strategy' is what you want, this is the game to have.

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to Grand_Armee)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Why should I buy this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI