Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your opinion)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your opinion) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 3/31/2006 5:58:58 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

No, i doubt i had.

The Jersey and the Montanas are to long for its broadness...

If you look at the famous picture of bismark from ahead... for me this is the correct length/Broadness.. so for a bb it looks correct.

The Montana looks great from the side and the distance, but from the near i dislike em. Also i do not want 3 barrels... for "good looking" the 2x2x2 is perfect. Dangerous but not "overcrowded". The americans had this too... only the masts destroy any chance of ww1-bbs to be counted. The fast-bb of the brits of ww1 are also good-looking ships, better as their german counterparts (bayern, baden & sachsen) I like the symmetrical things. /so the ugliest plane of ww2 is the bv138... the asymetrical plane

For the cruisers, the Zara is "the" Ship. Prinz Eugen behind, because the line of the Zara is perfect, even if i dislike the two funnels... normaly one is perfect.

But this just the eyes... i allways would prefer an Iowa-Class instead of a zara :) even if i dislike the looking of the ship.

The american ships also have "ugly" turrets, at last the newer ones... here the 15inch-Bismark_Turret is perfect for me. The brits have "small" turrets. From its line the Vanguard looks great too, only two funnels and the small turrets make it behind the named ships.

From the side and the front (some distance so you can´t see its 4 barrels) the Rich is also very nice... only the aft turrets are missing.

Very ugly are the US-CLs, the Tone, the Nelsons (three turrets in front, or even four !) and the Straßburg/Richelieu from near (missing turrets)
Also the BC Lexington (early versions) and the japanese Tosa- and Kaga-Class are really ugly. (for me), too many funnels or just bad looking.

The british light cruisers of the dido-class (4x3) looking good. Strange but for CL i can live perfectly with 3 barrels... here the german crusisers of ww2 look ugly.

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 91
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 12:14:44 AM   
Big B

When I was a kid I met a survuvor of this ship (a crewman who survived the war on her that is), and was fascinated with the San Francisco ever since, Only later did I learn she was the second most decorated US Navy Ship in WWII with 17 battle stars (one behind the Enterprise CV 6).
Anyway, I always thought she was beautiful and looked ALL Business. every inch a fighting ship.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 4/1/2006 12:18:54 AM >

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 92
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 1:50:58 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Agreed Big B, one of my favourite ships of all time. This photo was in along with a number of others a game by Quarterdeck Games called "IRONBOTTOM SOUND". Ever since I have this affinity for it and all the New Orleans class. Simply cool looking.

Attachment (1)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 93
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 3:53:32 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Agreed Big B, one of my favourite ships of all time. This photo was in along with a number of others a game by Quarterdeck Games called "IRONBOTTOM SOUND". Ever since I have this affinity for it and all the New Orleans class. Simply cool looking.

By the way Ron, I still have my copyof Iron Bottom Sound...do you?

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 94
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 3:58:23 AM   
Ron Saueracker

No. Lost in a move with a whack of other board games. I loved the advanced rules AH Bismarck so much I got a miniature for every warship in the game. Lost that too...

Only board games I have left are a very few AH bookcase games, the only box that was not lost. Panzer Armee Afrika, Star Fleet Battles 1&2, Destroyer Commander (like IronBottom sound by Quarterdeck Games), Carrier and Tokyo Express (solitaire).

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 95
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:34:25 AM   
tsimmonds

I love the 3rd generation USN CLs:

USS Juneau II

Attachment (1)

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 96
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:36:45 AM   
tsimmonds

USS Fargo

Doesn't she just look like she means business?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 4/2/2006 12:58:17 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 97
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:39:00 AM   
tsimmonds

USS Worcester

If only they had trunked the funnels and cleared the sky-arcs like they did on Fargo.....clearly two different design teams; Fargo was designed by the Cleveland team, while Worcester was an expansion of Juneau II.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 4/1/2006 4:40:50 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 98
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:39:11 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

USS Juneau II

They are beautiful!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

No. Lost in a move with a whack of other board games. I loved the advanced rules AH Bismarck so much I got a miniature for every warship in the game. Lost that too...

Only board games I have left are a very few AH bookcase games, the only box that was not lost. Panzer Armee Afrika, Star Fleet Battles 1&2, Destroyer Commander (like IronBottom sound by Quarterdeck Games), Carrier and Tokyo Express (solitaire).

Hey! I still have all those (except destroyer commander and carrier - never had those)
Ahh those were the days!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 99
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:10:45 PM   
RevRick

I've got to admit being an admirer of tin cans... such as

Attachment (1)

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 100
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 4:22:19 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

USS Juneau II

Those were 5" guns - right?

Was their number (6 x 2 = 12) enough to justify such bigger ship (6000 tonns) than DD (since DD's usually carried 5")?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 101
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 9:16:18 PM   
Fornadan

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 102
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/1/2006 10:22:19 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Was their number (6 x 2 = 12) enough to justify such bigger ship (6000 tonns) than DD (since DD's usually carried 5")?

Leo "Apollo11"

Most DDs carried only four or five 5" guns. The first batch of those AA cruisers carried 16 5" guns - imagine the ammo consumption. You need storage space for all those shells, hence the size. It is said those CLAAs were floating ammo dumps.

To get back to the original topic - I think the Atlanta class ships were the most beautiful warships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 4/1/2006 10:23:57 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 103
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/2/2006 12:57:12 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

They also had two HA/LA fire control directors (DDs had only one). They could engage two targets--air or surface--simultaneously (one fore, one aft) with fully director controlled fire.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 104
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/2/2006 8:07:07 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

They also had two HA/LA fire control directors (DDs had only one). They could engage two targets--air or surface--simultaneously (one fore, one aft) with fully director controlled fire.

Actually the original Atlanta Design was for a ship more envisioned as tha Destroyer Leader than an AA Cruiser. Such features as being the only US Cruisers with TT's point this out. And the Navy admitted later that for a true AA Cruiser the best layout would have been 2 twins forward, 2 aft, 2 port, and 2 starboard---with 4 directors.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 105
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/5/2006 6:03:19 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk
...Battleaxe class - they just look right
there's just something about naming a warship after your mother in law...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 106
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/5/2006 6:17:41 AM   
Graycompany

Olympia

Attachment (1)

I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 107
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/5/2006 6:19:51 AM   
Graycompany

Mug shot

Attachment (1)

I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...

(in reply to Graycompany)
Post #: 108
RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your o... - 4/5/2006 6:37:55 AM   
barbarrossa

This one took me to war and brought my a** back safe and sound,

Attachment (1)

"It take a brave soldier to be a coward in the Red Army" -- Uncle Joe

"Is it you or I that commands 9th Army, My Fuhrer?" -- Model

(in reply to Graycompany)
Post #: 109
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Somewhat OT - The most beautiful warship (in your opinion) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI