Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PureSim 2006 Status Update (long)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/8/2006 11:01:19 PM   
puresimmer

Things are moving along pretty well on the development front with PureSim 2006, today I completed implementing the ability for the manager to set outfield depth when managing a game. The AI will use this too, it will do things like bring the outfield in shallow if it's a tie game in bottom of the 9th with the winning run on third, or back the outfield up a bit to avoid getting something hit over their head.

I also made some nice tweaks to the in game play by play text, minor stuff, but some of the old text that read "+++ special result..." looked almost like it was debug info so I cleaned it up.

There is now a radar reading and pitch type displayed after each pitch that ends an at bat and I removed the "Pitcher is X pitches over his limit.." message. Now as a manager, you'll have to get to know your staff and also keep an eye on the radar gun when you are gauging how fatigued a pitcher is. I think I want to make a few more tweaks on the in-game stuff...

Multiple levels of minors is fully implemented and I love how non-intrusive it turned out. Just one simple screen to visit for analyzing how players are doing at the 3 levels, promoting/demoting etc. No need to set lineups or rotations, stats are simulated by the engine using an algorithm that estimates playing time based on how crowded a given position is at a given level of the minors. You can also name the minor league cities just to add a little flavor.

I also completed some other database changes. PureSim now archives the result of every pitch of every at bat historically (it use to discard the pitch-by-pitch data at the end of each season). There is a new database that gets created along with your .psa file which has a .psx extension which stores all this addtional info. I haven't done anything with reporting on this stuff yet, but it will allow me to do all kinds of crazy historical reporting on splits, situational and pitcher vs. batter stats etc...

Last week I completed the implementation of DirectX into the game as well, so I am looking at where I can add some graphical flair. Nothing huge for PS 2006, but an important body of code to get in there as I move PureSim forward. At the very least I'll look at what it will take to add in some cool fireworks displays after a home run. I'd like to put in a few more sounds as well.

All this stuff is still 100% compatible with "PureSim 2005 Gold" associations, there is an automatic upgrade process that takes place. Obviously you won't have any historical split data with a PS 2005 association until you rack up a few seasons playing with PS 2006.

I've been spending a good bit of time on the AI as well, and I have seen some promising results with some tweaks I have been making to try and get the AI to do a better job of not saddling itself with older players on the decline. I feel like the AI needs to value youth and potential a bit more on many levels.

My favorite feature by far has to be the HTML almanac. I posted some screenies earlier this week so be sure to have a look. You can really just lose yourself clicking around browsing through your association's history.

Lastly, today I did the boring task of building the installation program and testing all that out on a clean machine etc. So at least I have a 2006 build and install process ready for when I begin the beta.

So what's left to do?

* Complete the Almanac feature, that is a few days of work.
* More AI tweaks and testing, which is ongoing work
* Revamp the player card layout, add splits etc...
* Make a sweep through the user interface and make some tweaks
* Complete the PSPN on-demand feature, which lets you generate any of the PSPN stories at the click of a button (note: this one might get cut for the intial release)

I have two possible approaches, complete the above and get 2006 out the door and follow up with a few feature updates over the summer, or make some wholesale changes and shoot for a release at mid season. I am leaning towards the former, but I'd be interested in any feedback you guys have. PureSim 2006 is not a re-write, it is the same core game with some solid new features. That's great for stability, but I also want people to be satisfied that there is enough new stuff for this year's version to consider purchase.

Wow, long one. Please give me any feedback you might have on things you'd love to see addressed/tweaked/added!

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 5:09:37 AM   
lynchjm24

For now:

Add as many in-game options as you can.

Improve the AI best you can.

Release as soon as you can.

Since you were asking for our opinions :).

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 5:10:38 AM   
lynchjm24

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

I want to feel the love if you are out there Steely...

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 3
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 5:31:27 AM   
pbot

Very interested to see the new almanac and multi-level minors in action. I'll second the release as soon as possible sentiment.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 4
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 6:59:26 AM   
sd5175

Shaun you have a great reputation for your work that you continue to do after release. I trust that you will get the features in and continue to tweak. I have no problem purchasing at the earliest possible date.

< Message edited by sd5175 -- 4/10/2006 5:31:11 AM >

(in reply to pbot)
Post #: 5
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 7:19:47 AM   
galaril

I agree with what everyone has already said. It would be great to get the game out and let people help improve it. If it is , as it sounds well on it's way, to being a stagle and solid game release in th enear future as opposed to mid season. IMHO.

(in reply to sd5175)
Post #: 6
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 7:51:20 AM   
JimboJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

For now:

Improve the AI best you can.

Release as soon as you can.

Since you were asking for our opinions :).

+1 for all three

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 7
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 9:41:26 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

I have two possible approaches, complete the above and get 2006 out the door and follow up with a few feature updates over the summer, or make some wholesale changes and shoot for a release at mid season.

I'd release next Friday.

Just kidding. I vote -- Release before Markus, and update during the summer.

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 8
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 1:35:52 PM   
redsoxfan99

My vote is get what you have done to a state that you are happy to release as Beta ( purchase) and go for it - as always you will be adding and updating over the summer so by the end of the summer it will be an (almost) different game anyway :-)

John

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 9
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 6:06:54 PM   
donkuchi19

Shaun,

I was late coming to Puresim 2005 although I did buy it from your old website. I saw how you continued to update as you went along. I liked that a lot and know that you would continue to do so. I would purchase it today if you released it.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/9/2006 6:20:09 PM   
Langer

Godlike Expansion Powers?

Please?

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 11
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 12:52:20 AM   
SirWolf1960

I'm with the others when it comes to releasing the game sooner rather than later. The changes sound great. Sounds like it's gonna be a fun summer.

Steve

(in reply to Langer)
Post #: 12
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 3:22:05 AM   
dneely

An echo to what Lynchjim24 said..........

Do everything humanly possible to upgrade and finish the in-game options!!! That aspect is still the biggest weakness in PureSim. The AI needs work but it will NEVER please everyone!!

The in-game managing options, strategies and coaching moves are #1 through 10 on my top 10 list.

DNeely

(in reply to SirWolf1960)
Post #: 13
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 3:23:16 AM   
dneely

And I should have added!!

Release ASAP!!! then add some nice new features over the summer months.

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 14
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 3:25:08 AM   
BryanK

I vote sooner, purchaseable beta, etc.

(in reply to SirWolf1960)
Post #: 15
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 7:02:08 AM   
Amaroq

I think I'm with the majority here, Shaun. I would rather see you release earlier, and catch the excitement of the opening of the season - I just got back from Pacific... er SBC... er AT&T Park and my first game watched in person - couldn't wait to fire up PureSim.

I think its important from a business perspective to beat OOTPB to market, and I think the feature set you'd outlined having complete sounds like a sufficient feature set to me: the AI improvements, multiple levels of minors, and Almanac features would compel me to purchase if you released ASAP with what you described.

Your policy of 'release, add features without billing' has always prompted interest and support from your community, and I think you've proven it to be a good business model so far, so I'd love to see it continue.

Cheers,

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 16
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 2:48:17 PM   
sposfan

unfortunately, due to the busiest year of my life I have neither posted much nor played puresim much at all, but you can be 100% certain, that I'm buying 2006. I'd also agree with everyone here (hey, I like being a lemming! <G>) and say try to release ASAP to catch the excitement that comes with the beginning of baseball season.

Amaroq,

haven't "spoken" in quite a while, but as a Giants fan stuck in Montreal, I'm insanely jealous!

One thing I'dike to point out to others, is that I've signed up for the MLB all access this year and am pretty sure I already got my money's worth! The fact that I can watch any game live or a previous day's game is incredible, but their condensed games leave me almost speechless! I can get up in the morning and watch a late Giants game with my coffee in about 10-15 minutes!

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 17
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/10/2006 9:39:48 PM   
Amaroq

Nice!

Being local to my team, I've not investigated MLB all access - but that does sound like it would be ideal - I'd catch every game that way, which would be quite nice. Hmm, will wind up depending on the price point for me.

If you're ever making a West Coast trip, drop me a 'PM' - I'd love to pick up a pair of tickets and meet up for coffee and a game.

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 18
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 12:42:43 AM   
rjolley

I'd like to see a release soon and updates throught the summer.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 19
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 2:40:37 AM   
PadresFan104

Shaun, I'd like to see a release soon with updates as they become available. Al

(in reply to rjolley)
Post #: 20
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 3:16:50 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, get the primary new features out ASAP, and allow us to buy the public beta.

I have NEVER completed a season in my preferred method of play, which is playing every game of my chosen team. Now, saying that, I would like a fairly stable game to be bought again.

At this point, Shaun, I can't see you taking risks and putting in radically new features that could "break" the game. Incremental changes are fine.

The faithful will stick with you, of that you don't have to worry.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 21
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 5:04:41 AM   
redeck

godlike expansion abilities and release away!

go Tigers!

Go Puresim!

HUZZAH

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 7:03:02 AM   
BryanK

Robust expansion would definitely give puresim a feature that is fairly unique among baseball sims right now..

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 23
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/11/2006 3:21:31 PM   
Dazooz2

I liked the way the last game was released, with new things added. It's like a purchase that keeps on giving!

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 24
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 8:30:19 PM   
FranklinNoble

I have to disagree with the "release now, tweak later" sentiment.

I think Matrix games has a black eye over the Maximum Football release debacle. I think if it's going to take you a few more weeks to hammer out the details and release a solid product, then you should do that. Naturally, there will still be post-release issues, but the game should be playable out of the box. That's just my opinion. I'm as excited as anyone to see the final product, but I don't want to see another flamewar erupt because this game was prematurely released.

(in reply to Dazooz2)
Post #: 25
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 8:39:28 PM   
Amaroq

I don't think that's exactly what he's talking about - we're not looking at the 'hustle 20 half-finished features out the door', he's basically asking 'do you want 10* features in May, or 20 features in September?'

So the overwhelming response has been 'both! Give us 10 features now, and then keep rolling out features over the course of the season' - even though that typically means there won't be 20 features total, there might be more like 15 or 16 at the end of the season.

* - feature numbers are 'hypothetical', and have no relation to Shaun's actual work or planning process!

(in reply to FranklinNoble)
Post #: 26
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 8:59:27 PM   
FranklinNoble

I get that... My concern is that the hardcore fans here might want that, but what about the casual gamers, or, more importantly the trade publications? They're going to take their first impression from the initial release - they're not going to wait three months to review a 'new' game. I think everyone agrees we want to see the game succeed commercially. It might be better to be a little more patient, that's all.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 27
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 9:13:43 PM   
Silverbullet

I have followed the Maximum Football site for sometime.
This game has been in development for YEARS.
What was the "debacle"?

Post #: 28
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 9:15:16 PM   
galaril

I think we are discussing whether to release with more features not with less bugs ala Maximum Football. Think Galactic Civilizations where new features are added not lets release an unfinished game and have customers pay to beta test. Shaun always has released very solid versions and I have never over the years this will be my third or fourth version bought, felt like I was beta testing. I think comparing Shaun and his game to the Max Football guy and his game is like comparing Oprah to Halle Berry.

Post #: 29
RE: PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) - 4/12/2006 10:34:17 PM   
FranklinNoble

I'm not suggesting the game will be buggy at all. I'm just saying, you've got one shot to make a great impression to the gaming industry media... Might be a good idea to give it your best effort is all I'm saying.

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim 2006 Status Update (long) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI