Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stats Modeling in PS 2006

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Stats Modeling in PS 2006 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/10/2006 3:38:03 AM   
BryanK

Before grad school applications and my banking job took away all my free time, I was pretty active here making mods and doing some analysis of Puresim's stats engine. Well, after an up hill climb I actually got into school. To celebrate, I've decided to quit my job and take the summer off ... seriously. I'll probably work as a counsellor at a children's camp or something, but there's going to be lots of free time for stuff like Puresim :)

That being the case, and with the recent talk of features in PS 2006, I was curious about if any changes to the stats modeling were in the works. Based on the changes made last year, real player associations are very accurate. I don't think I ever posted the results from my 1.21 test association, but the general issue I've been seeing in fictional associations is that stats, particuarlly home runs, ramp up after an initial period. I think league leaders in OBP were also a little low, but I don't remember...

Essentially what I'm asking is if there's any appetite to investing in the stats engine. I'll gladly help out with the analysis and number crunching if there is... but I was just curious is it's something other people had noticed or if Shaun was looking to make any changes here.
Post #: 1
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/10/2006 5:37:06 AM   
puresimmer

Absolutely.

I am looking into modeling extensively for PS 2006.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 2
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/10/2006 9:06:09 AM   
BryanK

Sweet! Shaun = Super Awesome

I still have a few details to iron out regarding my move to Conneticut, student loans, and the like, but I can probably have some spiffy analysis ready around the end of the month or the begining of May. I just got some statistical software that makes the analysis a lot easier than it was in excel, so I can look at a bunch more stuff. And looking back, I have no idea why I calibrated my earlier analysis on a per game basis instead of a per Plate Appearance or per IP basis... yeah... I'll fix that.

:)

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/13/2006 6:27:56 AM   
BryanK

Quick update...

I decided to calibrate the analysis on a per AB basis for hitting and a per BF (batter faced) basis for pitching. It just seemed most logical to track the number of times something happened relative to the number of times it *could* have happened, and I think per AB and per BF do the best job.

Based on the work I've already done, I think PS is getting the right level (mean) for the different statistics, but that the way it arrives at that level (i.e. the percentile distributions) is off. So, starting in 1901 I am going to calculate the mean and percentile distributions for a number of metrics, all of which are normalized on a per AB or per BF basis. Note that to get adequate sample with the historical data, I needed to group by decade: 1900, 1910, 1920, etc

I'm going to run all these numbers on both real-life data and numbers taken from a fictional PS association using 1.21. Then we can compare the two and see how the game engine stacks up.

This sound good?

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 4
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/13/2006 7:12:05 AM   
FranklinNoble

Just thinking about all that math makes my head hurt...

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 5
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/13/2006 7:26:09 AM   
BryanK

That's what statistical software is for ;)
Still, it took about 5 good hours today to get the real-life data packaged and processed. My PC is simming the 1961 season right now, so hopefully I will have the PS data together by the weekend.

(in reply to FranklinNoble)
Post #: 6
RE: Stats Modeling in PS 2006 - 4/13/2006 3:57:05 PM   
puresimmer

Wow, awesome. I look forward to seeing the data. Hopefully I can make some tweaks for PS 2006's engine based on this. There are so many variables in the engine, that it is a tenuous balance when tweaking it: Aging model/career arc, stats engine, AI, ball park dimensions, etc..

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Stats Modeling in PS 2006 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI