Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 7:28:15 AM   
tabpub

Decided to visit our cousins in the Southern Hemisphere this summer (winter) and am looking for some input on what/where/who to see while there.

I am getting the tickets in the next 48 hours or so and have a tenative plan of this

Sydney - Ayers Rock - Cairns - Melbourne - Brisbane with 2 to 3 days per stop

Things like must see locations, especially good pubs/restaurants and hotels, if any of you locals have time to chat, etc.....

Traveling by myself, so I will have plenty of time to fill.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
Post #: 1
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 7:31:18 AM   
scott64

Can I go too

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 7:36:10 AM   
tabpub

get to the Quantas website......

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 3
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 9:23:24 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

Decided to visit our cousins in the Southern Hemisphere this summer (winter) and am looking for some input on what/where/who to see while there.

I am getting the tickets in the next 48 hours or so and have a tenative plan of this

Sydney - Ayers Rock - Cairns - Melbourne - Brisbane with 2 to 3 days per stop

Things like must see locations, especially good pubs/restaurants and hotels, if any of you locals have time to chat, etc.....

Well, there is no shortage of good restaurants in Melbourne. Whatever your favourite cuisine may be it is here, pretty much. For other things to look at - depends on your other interests. If you would like some more info feel free to ask.

Andrew

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 4
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 12:54:27 PM   
jrcar

What are you interested in?

When exactely are you planning on coming to Melbourne? I'm about 1.5 hrs north on the railway line, and the Tank museum is here. It is open during the week but only the last weekend in the month. IF I'm here I could pick you up from the station and take you out there, then back to the station at Seymour.

Sydney has some interesting fortifications, and the maritime museum at Darling Harbour (inner city) is good. Brisbane is nice but I'd either head to Noosa or to Byron Bay (about half a day each way, buses are available). Both have lovely scenary, are on the beach and have excelent eating places and pubs.

Cheers

Rob

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 5
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 1:13:15 PM   
goodwoodrw

If your interested military history Canberra is a must, The Australian war Memorial, you can spend a day or two there Plus other palces of interest.
visit this site for an insight
http://www.awm.gov.au

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 6
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 1:50:59 PM   
JeffroK

You will not do justice to any place you visit if you only spend a day or 2.

Do only 1 or 2 places and do them properly. realise that OZ is as big as the USA, you wouldnt do Chicago in 10-2 days would you??

As for what to see, thousands of pubs, clubs, scenery etc.

Work out what type of holiday you want. Ask the question again.

(Dont go to Seymour, its cold and wet and muddy, and Winter is even worse!!)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 7
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 1:59:14 PM   
Dunhill_BKK

G'day mate,

So much to see so little time. With 2-3 days per stop its a bit whirlwind, but here are some suggestions.

Sydney, I'd suggest a trip on a boat in the harbour of course, and a walk around the city centre. There are some nice seafood places and pubs on the coves East of the CBD.

If you are in a major city around the weekend, try to catch an Aussie rules game or some rugby.

In Melbourne go to Lygon street for dinner one night, I'd suggest the Nepalese place as very good.

In Brisbane take a water taxi and hit Southbank for the weekend market if possible. Same in any other major city the weekend markets are good.

I'd say its a shame you left out the more interesting places like Tassie, Adelaide/South Australia and Canberra. But most Australians don't consider these interesting places, and those of us who live there like it that way.

I'd really suggest a drive from Sydney to Melbourne if possible that way you could have a brief stop in Canberra to visit the War Memorial (very good!!). Then you could continue on down to Melbourne via the coast and see a part of Australia many don't such as Eden and Lakes Entrance and the forests in between, check out a map.

PS I've already seen snow on the hills from my house in Canberra now, so bring a jacket.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 8
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 2:25:47 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar
When exactely are you planning on coming to Melbourne? I'm about 1.5 hrs north on the railway line, and the Tank museum is here. It is open during the week but only the last weekend in the month. IF I'm here I could pick you up from the station and take you out there, then back to the station at Seymour.

I may be able to assist in getting to this museum as well...

quote:

Sydney has some interesting fortifications, and the maritime museum at Darling Harbour (inner city) is good. Brisbane is nice but I'd either head to Noosa or to Byron Bay (about half a day each way, buses are available). Both have lovely scenary, are on the beach and have excelent eating places and pubs.

I agree - better to go to some other places instead of Brisbane. Byron Bay is indeed a lovely spot.

And as others have already stated - Canberra is also worth a visit, especially the War Memorial.

Andrew

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 9
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 3:51:47 PM   
Greyshaft

If you're interested in the military side of things then check out Fort Denison in Sydney Harbor with a half day trips from Circular Quay ferry terminus. The Sydney Maritime Museum has a destroyer and a Russian sub you can crawl through. Let us know when you are coming.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 10
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/11/2006 9:34:48 PM   
tabpub

Thanks for all the replies so far, have read them all. Not leaving anyone out, but you are right, I wish I had 2 months for this, but then I would have to apply for a work visa or something.....as I would run out of cash before the end of the trip....

Tenative schedule:

Depart LA June 20th
Arrive Sydney June 22nd(ack, there goes a day)
Depart Sydney June 26th to Ayers
Depart Ayers June 29th to Cairns
Depart Cairns July 3 to Melbourne
Depart Melbourne July 6 to Brisbane
Depart Brisbane July 10 to LA-Chicago (gets day back in a way)

Mainly hitting the "Big Three" with Cairns for some warmer bits.
Is going to the outback worth it like this? I could drop the Ayers bit off (save it for the triumphant return trip in the future) and hit something different or longer.
Quantas is allowing 3 flights in Australia included in the 999 price, with additional flights at only 100 apiece, so I was trying to take advantage of that, doing my version of the Bob Hope USO tour.....
Along those lines, I am probably more interested in seeing people than rocks...perhaps Tasmania instead of the Ayers junket; and a picture of a real "Tasmanian Devil".....or something else..decisions....DECISIONS.....

< Message edited by tabpub -- 4/11/2006 9:35:23 PM >

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 11
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 12:28:36 AM   
1275psi

Hey tabpub

You must go to the footy saturday night 24th in Sydney - Swans vs Collingwood -always an absolute corker of a game -always a huge crowd.

Hoping to see you if we can arrange it!

herbiesan - now lets resume the war!!!

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 12
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 1:13:24 AM   
Fred98

I am a Sydney sider and Melbourne is the place to skip

As you are doing such a short tour Brisbane too could be skipped.

Sydney - Canberra - Ayres Rock - Cairns - Sydney would be an good tour. Try to do too much and you see nothing.

Canberra has possibly ther best military museum in the world. Canberra is a must-see!

How long are you in Sydney? It will take 2 days to get over the jet-lag

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 13
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 3:00:45 AM   
JamesM

Cairns is surround by quite beautify natural areas: the Daintree rainforest, Mosman Gorge, Some lovely Waterfalls particularly the Mila Mila falls, the Atherton Tablelands and of course the Great Barrier Reef. Also cairns has a large variety of eating places. Further, the sugar cane crush would have started about the time you arrive (not as big a crop before cylone Larry hit) and some of the mill has tours that you can go on.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 14
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 3:24:35 AM   
pbhawkin1

Hi,
Im in Mudgee 4 hours West of Sydney by car and a great road trip through the Blue mountains (lots to see there) and into classic wine growing country.
I would vote going to Ayers rock, although I feel that the Western and in particular the Eastern (less visited) MacDonald ranges are better for camping and walks. Also palm valley and Chambers pillar are great 4WD trips from Alice Springs (I lived there for 7 years).
I agree with Tasmania being a great place to see (lived there for 20 years) lots of very nice places to visit and stay. To me cities are cities and are just variation on a theme. That being said Sydney has a visual prescence the others lack (due to Harbour location, like Hobart too).
Brisbane ok but travel to the hinterland or the beaches for scenery. Melbourne very cosmopolitan and friendly.

Regards

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 15
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 5:19:59 AM   
Mark VII

Rob,
My wife and I were in Oz last year which started in Melbourne. Visited the RAAF Museum at Point Cook while we were there. You should check it out, here are some photos I posted on the forum a while ago. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1023264&mpage=1&key=󹴠

We considered going to Ayers Rock but ended up spending four days on Brampton Island on the Great Barrier Reef instead. You should really go to Canberra to see the Australian War Memorial, its better than the Imperial War Museum in London. Hope you have a great time in Australia where ever you end up, we did! Terry

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

Tenative schedule:

Depart LA June 20th
Arrive Sydney June 22nd(ack, there goes a day)
Depart Sydney June 26th to Ayers
Depart Ayers June 29th to Cairns
Depart Cairns July 3 to Melbourne
Depart Melbourne July 6 to Brisbane
Depart Brisbane July 10 to LA-Chicago (gets day back in a way)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 16
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 12:52:37 PM   
tabpub

Blast.....

so many choices.....

I guess all are in agreement that I am looking at hitting too many places....
..and, in retrospect, since I am divorced and traveling solo, not much need to see all the "ooh, isn't that beautiful" stuff; I can save that for the future, if I should be so fortunate/unfortunate.....

<wipes Ayers off list, subsitutes Canberra>
<considers eliminating Brisbane for a day more in Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns each>

Ok, I've got about 24 hours to finalize this thing....

If I was to rent a car down there, how crazy is it for someone to drive on the opposite side from which they are used to? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?..... Might drive the Sydney - Canberra stretch instead of flying...

I know that the thought of doing that doesn't sit well with me; much like the thought of climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge (saw some pics of doing that and got vertigo thinking of it.... would be neat though..if I didn't throw up or something...)

Main thing is see people, meet people, have a few snorts and a couple of laughs and try not to get arrested (if not, avoid the felonies).
Def will hit the footy with my old adversary Herbie, will put that down on the list. Herb, will we have to get tickets ahead? Anyone else want to go? No rush, we have a month or so to plan things out. Once I finalize the flights, then I have to start work on the accomodations and the like. I have always taken either cruises or tours that did most of the planning for you, now I have to do it myself...kind of daunting..probably have to do a diary blog thingie for the Matrix boards....

Have a good day, all.

Rob

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 17
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/12/2006 2:34:00 PM   
1275psi

Tabpub

1 seat to the footy 24th, swans vs collingwood booked.!!!!!
guaranteed seat! -(the wife says you can have hers -we are full time members)
game on at 7 pm -so at least thats one thing you can cement in!

If you like fishing -and would like a tour of the Sydney harbour....I have a boat
have fun planning -Im sure you will enjoy the aussie hospitality down under
herb

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 18
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/13/2006 1:35:59 AM   
Fred98

Driving:

I have driven in Alaska, Turkey and South Korea. All drive on the right hand side of the road - the wrong side for us.

It is quite difficult. Your natural reaction is to drive into the oncoming traffic.

The open road is fine. It is in towns and cities that you make mistakes - especially turning corners.

Note that Canberra is a 4 hour drive from the centre of Sydney for me - and I have done it 100 times!

Another solution is to fly to Canberra and get around Canberra with a rental car. The place is big and spread out.

-

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 19
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/13/2006 2:28:36 AM   
JamesM

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Tabpub

1 seat to the footy 24th, swans vs collingwood booked.!!!!!
guaranteed seat! -(the wife says you can have hers -we are full time members)
game on at 7 pm -so at least thats one thing you can cement in!

If you like fishing -and would like a tour of the Sydney harbour....I have a boat
have fun planning -Im sure you will enjoy the aussie hospitality down under
herb

Ahh the Collywobbles!

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 20
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/13/2006 4:28:40 AM   
Mark VII

I have driven three times now "English" style(Oz, England and Turks&Caicos). Its really not that big of a problem, you get used to it pretty quick! The Aussie "interstates" are as boring as ours. Just watch out for those turn-abouts.

During our trip we flew from Melbourne to Canberra in about an hour and then rented a car in Canberra. After we were done in Canberra we drove to the Blue Mountains which took about 3 1/2 hours and then on to Sydney after a couple of days of hiking. After that it was only flying between cities. Remember, Australia is as large as the continental United States!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Driving:

I have driven in Alaska, Turkey and South Korea. All drive on the right hand side of the road - the wrong side for us.

It is quite difficult. Your natural reaction is to drive into the oncoming traffic.

The open road is fine. It is in towns and cities that you make mistakes - especially turning corners.

Note that Canberra is a 4 hour drive from the centre of Sydney for me - and I have done it 100 times!

Another solution is to fly to Canberra and get around Canberra with a rental car. The place is big and spread out.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 21
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/13/2006 1:18:12 PM   
jrcar

Dropping Ayers rock for Canberra is a good thing.

I'd go Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Cairns, Brisbane. get the cold weather done with up front :) Canberra is cold but sunny during the day that time of year. Melbourne can be miserable cold and wet. Cairns and Brisbane are very nice then :)

Canberra has reasonable public transport, especially if you stay in the City or Kingston area. The Parliment houses (old and new) are worth a look. Keep a day for the War memorial.

That time of year I will be around, the Tank Museum is worth the trip, plus you get to see some more of the country side, either by train or curtosy of Andrew Brown. Also some VERY good wineries in the area :)

Cheers

Rob

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 22
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/14/2006 2:31:47 PM   
JeffroK

Leave Ularu (Ayers Rock) on your list, you can see a War menorial at any time, and their site on the web is fantastic.

Dont be surprised if Cairns is not at its best, a Cat 5 cyclone went past recently, and though the damage is bad things aren't back to normal yet.

Add to your Sydney options, the walk OVER the Sydney Harbour Bridge, not cheap but well worth it.

Warning, Be VER careful of what any bloody Australian tells you, you cant trust any of them

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 23
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/14/2006 5:23:08 PM   
Mark VII

Rob,
Seems you have been given all sorts of advice pro and con on different locations to visit. Here is another. If you end up in Brisbane, you are only three hours via a 737-400 from Henderson Field and Guadalcanal.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Leave Ularu (Ayers Rock) on your list, you can see a War menorial at any time, and their site on the web is fantastic.

Dont be surprised if Cairns is not at its best, a Cat 5 cyclone went past recently, and though the damage is bad things aren't back to normal yet.

Add to your Sydney options, the walk OVER the Sydney Harbour Bridge, not cheap but well worth it.

Warning, Be VER careful of what any bloody Australian tells you, you cant trust any of them

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 24
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/15/2006 4:40:44 AM   
JeffroK

Long time since I went to Honiara on a Cruise, but it isnt a totally secure place at the moment, a bit of unrest amongst the locals, not Baghdad, more like Washington DC.

My idea of a Holiday is seeing things you can see otherwise, Ularu, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, Kakadu, Barrier Reef, Grampians, Harbour Bridge. If I went to the AWM i'd bee there for a week, just finding out what I could look at.

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 25
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/15/2006 7:31:23 AM   
iaidoka2

Consider putting Tassie on your list.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 26
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/16/2006 11:59:10 AM   
Neilster

Re the RAAF museum at Point Cook. I worked on this particular aircraft many times at 76SQN. It's nice to see her again.

I'd recommend Tasmania too, but I'm biased.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 27
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/19/2006 2:37:45 PM   
JeffroK

Definatly take Honiara/ Guadalcanal OFF the list.

The Natives are revolting!!!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 28
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 4/19/2006 3:58:02 PM   
JamesM

And wait till it stops raining in cairns!

I am sick of the rain!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 29
RE: Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? - 5/16/2006 11:39:23 AM   
tabpub

Ok. Have finalized the tickets and 1/2 of the lodging side. Now to fill in the blanks for things to do and see....

Thurs Jun 22nd Arrive Sydney - probably spend all day laying about, unless something comes up.
Probably staying at the Sydney Marriot off Hyde Park. Why does every town have a Hyde Park?

Fri 23rd - thinking of doing the Harbor Bridge, Maritime Museum and maybe the Zoo here.

Sat 24th - off to the stadium to see the Swans, figure that will take up the whole day

Sun 25th - talked about cruising the Harbor, perhaps this would be the day

Mon 26th - thinking about shopping or hitting what I missed on the 23rd, depending on the weather.

Tue 27th - do what I didn't on the 26th, as I am packing this night.

Wed 28th - head over to Canberra; staying at the Olims Hotel, I think it is near the Memorial on Limestone.
Thur 29th - finish up hacking around the Memorial

Fri 30th - ????????

Sat 1st July -
Mon 3th July- Melbourne; other than the trip previously mentioned to the north, the only thing that jumps out is the phillip island thing; though I don't think that is close to town.

Tue 4th-
Sat 8th is in Cairns at the Pacific International. Cairns really has me stumped; there is the railway trip up to the forest or something; or maybe a Reef tour (though would have to be one of those contained subs or something, don't swim or scuba and when I snorkel I wear the biggest preserver I can get.....) or just lounge around the beach/pool....
This is my last stop basically; I fly to Brisbane on the 9th for a flight home on the 10th.

So, any other input to fill in some slots here would be welcome; I have been through the books and video and have some thoughts, but would like the local input.

Additionally, anything you lot over there would like from the states? Nothing illegal mind, of course. But perhaps something that you can't find easily there.

Catch you later.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Traveling to Australia ---- any recommendations? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI