Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Performance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Performance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Performance - 4/18/2006 5:52:27 PM   
petersly

Hi,

just bought the game and I consider it great. Being avid PacWar and WIR player, this game just... filled the spot ;) Great game, and I would be enjoying it great deal...
However, I have problem with performance. I play WitP on Celeron 800, plenty of memory and fast disks, poor graphic card (I may send specs, if necessary) and the processing of the turn takes over 20 minutes. For example, "training ship crews" phase takes 3 mins, reaasigning AF between bases showing target base on map takes nearly minute... I am patient player, but not sure if so patient ;) Is there any feasible way short of buying new computer to improve the speed?
Post #: 1
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 5:54:35 PM   
Terminus

Go into your WitP installation folder and locate the subfolders SOUND and VIDEO, respectively. Rename them NOSOUND and NOVIDEO, and that should result in a performance increase. Also, ship crew training phase is supposed to take forever; the program checks EVERY SINGLE SHIP on the map during that phase.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 2
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:02:54 PM   
petersly

Thanks a lot, will try at evening. At this pace, it would take me ca year to finish game... And my wife says, that I should maintain at least some social life ;)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:04:41 PM   
Terminus

WitP players don't have social lives...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 4
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:05:45 PM   
Mike Solli

Shhh. You'll scare him away.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:07:04 PM   
Sardaukar

I did run the game on Cel 500 with 192 megs of RAM.... Took 15 mins on that machine to process turn, with same as Terminus suggested and all animations etc. off. Training ship crews takes few mins.

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 6
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:15:50 PM   
petersly

To say the truth, I am vivid strategy gamer for over ten years (we had THE GAMES back these times, not like these youngsters now )... and I dont allow my social life interfere with my gaming
Thanks a lot once more, must be going.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 6:29:19 PM   
Mike Solli

Just joking. We do a lot of that here. You can glean some useful info occasionally though.

By the way, welcome.

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 8
RE: Performance - 4/18/2006 7:32:07 PM   
Rainer

After pushing "End the orders phase" (the red triangle on top of sceen) wait 5 seconds and then hit ESC once.
The "house cleaning messages" (like "relocating barges ..." etc) will flash by and this phase is shortened considerably.
When the first message relevant for the player pops up, the flashing stops and the game enters normal speed again.
This way a complete turn - I'm in April 1944 - needs about 15 minutes on my system.

You can enter this "flashing state" everytime you hit ESC, but then you will probably miss messages the game wants you to read. So hit that key only once at the very beginning.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Rainer

PS: I understand you're an experienced PacWar Player. You will find some typical Gary Grigsby "peculiarities" in WitP. If you have managed to live with them in PacWar you probably will accept them in WitP as well. Why do I mention this? There are plenty (PLENTY!) of people here in this forum who loudly and repeatedly complain about "bugs", "broken game", "ahistorical outcomes" etc. etc. etc. Just ignore these kids :)
Regarding (real) bugs you can rely on Matrix'/3by2's ongoing support. Version 1.8 will be released any time.

PPS: You still will need a real time year (or more) to finish the game ....

< Message edited by Rainer -- 4/18/2006 8:00:40 PM >

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 9
RE: Performance - 4/19/2006 12:20:22 PM   
petersly

NOSOUUND and NOVIDEO helped by ca 20 pct (and most importantly, it prevents the gradual slowing of consequent turns), which make the things much more feasible. The escape thing helps as well.
As for the peculiarities, I already encountered few, but as you said, they are something to live with. After all, its a dice game, not exact simulation of WWII.
However, having hit Haruna with 17 1000lbs and 8 torps I WOULD expect it to sink
Thank you all for advices.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 10
RE: Performance - 4/19/2006 2:32:50 PM   
Arkady

hi peter...check tanciky.cz and section dedicated to UV/WITP (in Czech) and join us at AX forum to discuss this great game

(in reply to petersly)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Performance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI