Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

120 miles a day!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 120 miles a day! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
120 miles a day! - 4/24/2006 1:31:54 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

Who thought up this shock pursuit thing with LCU's?

I'm seeing 2 hex movement by both retreating and advancing units a day.
The retreated unit is so fatigued and disrupted it can't outrun the attackers anyway.

Something else to add to my houserules?
Working on the 4th page already of additional rules now.
Post #: 1
RE: 120 miles a day! - 4/24/2006 1:57:02 AM   
Nemo121

I'd limit the house rule preventing Shock Attack + Pursue to only those hexes which had difficult terrain, e.g. Preventing Pursue in just mountainous, wooded and swamp terrain is more realistic than outruling it in all terrains.

The exception would, of course, be if there are railway lines or roads in the hex, then Pursuit would be entirely reasonable as, in many occasion during the Second World War, units advanced so quickly along main routes that they ended up in the defender's next line of resistance long before many of the routed defenders straggled in ( the reason being that with these guys being routed out of their previous defensive positions they didn't conduct an orderly retreat down the road with blocking parties etc but instead jsut took to the minor roads and paths parallel to the railway line/road and thus made slower progress).

So paths through wooded, mountainous and swamp terrain can all be argued to prevent Shock Attack + Pursue ( obviously hexes with no paths at all would also prevent Shock Attack + Pursue in mountainous, swamp and wooded terrain). In all other terrain types it was certainly possible and even in the aforementioned difficult terrains it was possible so long as the transport network was sufficiently developed.

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 2
RE: 120 miles a day! - 4/24/2006 10:25:06 PM   
Black Mamba 1942

This is a good rule adaptation.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3
RE: 120 miles a day! - 4/24/2006 10:40:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

120 miles a day is fine for some armored cars but that is quite a blistering pace for leg infantry ...which is 90% of the infantry in this game.

Am I to understand one selects both the shock attack and pursue button?

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 4
RE: 120 miles a day! - 4/24/2006 11:07:09 PM   
Nemo121

I've regularly shock attack + Pursued Chinese units on rail hexes and have never moved the full 60 miles by the next day. Sure, I might move 30 miles or something but I stay in the hex I shock attacked and arrive in the hex they retreated to the next day. This seems reasonable to me for infantry pursuing a routing enemy... ( Even if they are leg infantry.... For the leg infantry after a couple of days of Shock Attack + Pursue your disruption and fatigue will increase enough that you have to call a halt for a bit, again reasonable.)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5
RE: 120 miles a day! - 4/25/2006 12:18:50 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

Pure armor on rails will attack, advance.
Rinse and repeat every turn.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 120 miles a day! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI