Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

crash when saving

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> crash when saving Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
crash when saving - 4/24/2006 2:29:59 PM   
castor troy

Are there plans to fix this annoying crash to desktop after saving the game? No matter if I wait 5 seconds, 10 minutes, 1 hour I have 7 out of 10 times this crash after saving the game. Hitting the esc key doesn´t help, same result when clicking on exit in the menu! IT´S REALLY ANNOYING!! Not to save while doing my turns isn´t also a really good possibility as I´m having crashes after leaving other menus like ship avaibility too.
Post #: 1
RE: crash when saving - 4/24/2006 3:42:41 PM   
michaelm75au

Is this happening with V1.8?

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: crash when saving - 4/24/2006 3:49:11 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Are there plans to fix this annoying crash to desktop after saving the game? No matter if I wait 5 seconds, 10 minutes, 1 hour I have 7 out of 10 times this crash after saving the game. Hitting the esc key doesn´t help, same result when clicking on exit in the menu! IT´S REALLY ANNOYING!! Not to save while doing my turns isn´t also a really good possibility as I´m having crashes after leaving other menus like ship avaibility too.

The CTD on exit of save menu was not addressed in v1.8 as this symptom, while it is clearly a bug, does not affect the ability to play the game. In other words the game is saved correctly despite the CTD.

On the other hand the CTD that occured "often" upon exit of the Ship Avilability screen was fixed in v1.8 so if this is still happening under 1.8 we would like to see a save showing that.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: crash when saving - 4/24/2006 4:50:56 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Is this happening with V1.8?

yes this is happening with 1.8, as jwilkerson mentioned this wasn´t adressed. As I agree that it doesn´t "effect" playing the game it´s, as I said, very very annoying. Haven´t seen the crash when leaving the ship avaibility screen since 1.8 though (but have played only 10 turns up to now under 1.8).

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 4
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 6:39:04 AM   
33Vyper

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

The CTD on exit of save menu was not addressed in v1.8 as this symptom, while it is clearly a bug, does not affect the ability to play the game. In other words the game is saved correctly despite the CTD.

On the other hand the CTD that occured "often" upon exit of the Ship Avilability screen was fixed in v1.8 so if this is still happening under 1.8 we would like to see a save showing that.

Ya know ANY CTD is a bug as far as I am concerned. This one is perhaps the MOST anoying bug I have ever seen in a game. I rarely ever take a swipe at the WITP staff or Matrix but I am sorry..... to say that it does not affect the ability to play the game is simply BS.

I think that most players are saving after each turn, especially if they are playing PBEM.

Sorry to get on the soap box here but this one has been around since like 1.3. So I can honestly say that I am surprised that you guys do not think that it is more serious. I know there are some workarounds, however I can honestly say that I have done the 10 second count.....waited until I see the busy light on the case stop and STILL CTD when saving.

Other than that........I must of course say how happy I am that Matrix and WITP staff keep plugging away at this true masterpiece!

Thank you
and sorry for the bitchiness

< Message edited by 33Vyper -- 4/25/2006 6:40:31 AM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 6:50:00 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

I am surprised that you guys do not think that it is more serious

This time the choice was literally, disappearing units, leaders, air groups or something else. I'm sure others would've called the priorities differently but for us the priorities were actually pretty clear this time. Fix the disappearing stuff !

There will, almost certainly, be another time !

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 6
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 6:56:19 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: 33Vyper

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Ya know ANY CTD is a bug as far as I am concerned. This one is perhaps the MOST anoying bug I have ever seen in a game. I rarely ever take a swipe at the WITP staff or Matrix but I am sorry..... to say that it does not affect the ability to play the game is simply BS.

I think that most players are saving after each turn, especially if they are playing PBEM.

Sorry to get on the soap box here but this one has been around since like 1.3. So I can honestly say that I am surprised that you guys do not think that it is more serious. I know there are some workarounds, however I can honestly say that I have done the 10 second count.....waited until I see the busy light on the case stop and STILL CTD when saving.

Other than that........I must of course say how happy I am that Matrix and WITP staff keep plugging away at this true masterpiece!

Thank you
and sorry for the bitchiness

OK, your position on the soap box is duly noted. Now here's mine:

This problem is related to something deep in the internals of the game. It is not easy to find, especially since it is intermittent. We made the decision to skip over it in the interest of getting V1.8 out quickly. In so doing we also put it at the back of the list for reasons already listed.

You should also know that I, personally, take offense at the use of the term “simply BS”. In fact, I find it to be generally HS (that’s Horse).

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 7
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 7:00:06 AM   
33Vyper

I grew up on the prairies.....we had no horsies.....just cows...lots and lots of cows

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 8
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 10:32:24 AM   
Sneer

i have never had this problem earlier and it happened twice under 1.8
however savegame is not broken so problem is minor

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 9
RE: crash when saving - 4/25/2006 11:52:21 AM   
wild_Willie2

quote:

have never had this problem earlier and it happened twice under 1.8
however savegame is not broken so problem is minor

Also had it happen twice under 1.8, it is just a minor annoyance as the game save is not affected. It just takes 10 extra seconds to retart the game again....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 10
RE: crash when saving - 4/26/2006 6:26:43 PM   
myros

It has now been "skipped over" every patch since the 1st one. It does affect gameplay, being forced to restart a game due to a crash affects gameplay ... always has always will, and thats no BS or HS or whatever ;) Thankfully 1.8 so far has been very stable so I end up just not saving until Im ready to quit anyway, so nice job on the rest.

Myros

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 11
RE: crash when saving - 4/29/2006 5:58:43 AM   
509th Bob

BECAUSE of this problem, I saved three times per turn. Once on the immediate "post-turn," several times during a "mid-turn," and once the "end-turn." Although I consumed 21 slot per week, it generally worked out well for me (until I upgraded to 1.80). Yes, my system crashes occasionally, but when I re-start at the last saved point, it's all there. I will tolerate certain game failures, but the game is, overall, worth playing (see my most recent RANT about problems, BTW).

Bob

"Casualties many. Percentage of dead not known. Combat efficiency - we are winning."
-- Col. David M. Shoup, Tarawa, Nov. 21, 1943

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 12
RE: crash when saving - 4/29/2006 6:06:05 AM   
33Vyper

For those who may take my comments out of context .....

please let me clarify.....

I do not want you to think that I am 'hating this game' or being overly critical of the development team. This 'to me' is a very anoying bug, which is mitigated by the fact that you do get your game save.....so recovery is always possible. As another poster has said it is a bug that has been overlooked since like the first patch.

I say again this is truly a gem in the wargaming world. I have enjoyed countless hours of pleasure from this game and will continue to enjoy many more. I think Matrix has done an OUTSTANDING job of providing ongoing support and patches for this game that has been out for .... 2 years?.... been so long now I forget.

So...I was a bit cranky the other nite......

that and....

the 1/2 bottle of Alberta Ice Vodka made me do it....

(in reply to 509th Bob)
Post #: 13
RE: crash when saving - 4/29/2006 6:55:07 AM   
Don Bowen

I guess maybe I have not made one thing clear: It is a bitch to fix.

If it was a consistent crash and we could find the damn thing it would get fixed.

We are working on it.

< Message edited by Don Bowen -- 4/29/2006 7:03:14 AM >

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 14
RE: crash when saving - 4/29/2006 9:30:51 AM   
michaelm75au

For what's worth, I have only ever had one CTD in all the time I have been playing with this game. Which is basically daily for the last 14 months. [Apart from when I have to go out for the day.]

Correction, I have had it CTD always when I go and look at ship in a CHS save game. [I don't have the ART installed, which is why it does CTD.]

Michael

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 15
RE: crash when saving - 5/8/2006 3:46:52 PM   
rockmedic109

Since installing on my new laptop, I have not had a save game CTD. No matter how quickly I hit exit, I don't have the CTD. It seemed to crash with fair consistancy after quickly hitting the exit button on my old computer.

Could the speed of the computer or amount of RAM have any effect on whether this bug shows it's ugly head? It doesn't seem right, but with the newer computer I haven't {knocking on the wooden table} had this bug bite me.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 16
RE: crash when saving - 5/8/2006 4:58:58 PM   
rockmedic109

Well....scratch last post. I didn't knck on wood hard enough. Just suffered my first savegame CTD.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> crash when saving Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI