Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things that make you go hmmmm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Things that make you go hmmmm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 12:11:19 PM   
motnahp

Anyone else care to comment on this fact: just after Shaun started releasing screen shots of his almanac feature (modeled after baseball-reference.com), a competitor's ad appeared on b-ref.com's home page. Sounds like someone is a little worried about the progress of PureSim. They should be!

Shaun: I sent you an e-mail a while back in "ref" to some cheap advertising. It might be worth looking into, provided it doesn't conflict with Matrix in some way.
Post #: 1
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 4:23:20 PM   
Rob322

Hi,

This isn't to knock PureSim as I play both this game and the "competitor" as you call it but I'm on their boards every day and I don't hear any angst or worry about any of the other games (indeed many of the people over there who mention Puresim say they like it). The ad is because they're coming out with a new version with major changes over the old one and they want to advertise it to likely customers. Nothing that unusual really; they have a new publisher who has deeper pockets then the last one for things like advertising and they're taking advantage of that. Apparently they're vastly improving their almanac (among other things) too. Still, it's a logical place to find people who might be more inclined to play text sims rather than things like High Heat. Does Puresim advertise? I don't recall seeing any ads.

Incidentally I discovered this game because one of the old timers over on those boards owns both and liked them so I came over and checked them out and liked what I saw. Now, the concept of being loyal to only one game of a product brand tends to escape me and I think the market is big enough for a few games. Since there's only a few baseball text sims out there I get the feeling many of the people interested in the genre own and play more than one. And the folks over there generally either like PureSim or they don't have negative things to say.

PS I don't know when Shaun released screen shots but those ads have been up there since the end of March/beginning of April so I sort of doubt they're connected.

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 5/6/2006 4:35:45 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 2
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 7:00:53 PM   
MizzouRah_slith

I wouldn't think Markus would be too worried, but competition is GOOD.

I've stated this before, but unless OOTP really does something that blows me away, I think Puresim will be my baseball text sim fix this year. OOTP 6.5 still sees playing time from me as it is.

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 3
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 7:29:33 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: MizzouRah

I wouldn't think Markus would be too worried, but competition is GOOD.

I've stated this before, but unless OOTP really does something that blows me away, I think Puresim will be my baseball text sim fix this year. OOTP 6.5 still sees playing time from me as it is.

Yes, competition and freedom of choice is good. In a niche market like baseball text sims, it's pointless to argue about "who's better, who's best". No monopolies here. The consumer is the beneficiary. If you're a hardcore fan, you'll own more than one game anyway. I play historical wargames, but I own several of them.

(in reply to MizzouRah_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 9:24:06 PM   
m10bob

My driveway has a Toyota and a Mercury.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/6/2006 11:25:51 PM   
tbear2b

Plus, another thing about OOTP this year is that it has been overhauled and they are with a different parent company. The game has actually changed its look a lot, and I'm not sure it's for the better, since the other games that the company has produced are really confusing in layout.

PureSim has been focused on making the gameplay better over the past year and the basic game will still look fairly similar, a might plus in my book. The addition of minors, better looking player cards, the enormous almanac, etc. bring PureSim a lot closer to those nice bells that OOTP has, without compromising the qualities that make it unique.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 6
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/7/2006 3:31:34 AM   
MizzouRah_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbear2b

Plus, another thing about OOTP this year is that it has been overhauled and they are with a different parent company. The game has actually changed its look a lot, and I'm not sure it's for the better, since the other games that the company has produced are really confusing in layout.

PureSim has been focused on making the gameplay better over the past year and the basic game will still look fairly similar, a might plus in my book. The addition of minors, better looking player cards, the enormous almanac, etc. bring PureSim a lot closer to those nice bells that OOTP has, without compromising the qualities that make it unique.

I thought I was the only one that thinks SI's interface in their games can be quite confusing.

< Message edited by MizzouRah -- 5/7/2006 3:32:37 AM >

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 7
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/7/2006 8:13:56 AM   
PadresFan104

Here's a funny little anecdote...

Since I'm a baseball nut, I buy any baseball game I can get my hands on. While PureSim gets the majority of my playing time, I have also been playing the new version of Baseball Mogul, though not for the past few weeks (too busy testing PS2007!). Anyway, when the new version of Mogul came out a month or so ago, I was posting on their boards a lot, helping find the bugs and stuff like that...

A couple of weeks ago, when the testing started up for PureSim, Shaun sends me a PM that he noticed I'd been posting a lot on the Mogul boards. I felt like I'd been caught in the act of doing something illicit...

The ironic part of all of this is that a couple of years ago Shaun mentioned Mogul to those of us on the PureSim message board, and that's when I started playing it.

So back to the topic of the thread. I love PureSim, and I love the fact that Shaun has accepted my help as a tester and that he has let me contribute some sounds. The fact that my name is in the credits now makes it my favorite baseball game, outright. However, that doesn't mean I can't play Mogul and OOTP as well, and I would guess that Shaun and many of us will check out the other games too. I think we are all baseball fans first, and pc game players second.

Also, as I browse the other boards, most comments regarding PureSim are positive. The only negative comments I see are aimed at Mogul.

Competition is a *great* thing.

(in reply to MizzouRah_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/7/2006 7:25:26 PM   
Tullius

quote:

The game has actually changed its look a lot, and I'm not sure it's for the better, since the other games that the company has produced are really confusing in layout.

Here i agree. After looking at the screenshots provided by SI i found that the interface and overall look and appeal is similar to the program i use for my annual tax declaration. Even when OOTP will have some outstandings features i will go with Pure Sim. The overall package is better - at least for my approach.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 9
RE: Things that make you go hmmmm - 5/7/2006 8:27:10 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: motnahp

Anyone else care to comment on this fact: just after Shaun started releasing screen shots of his almanac feature (modeled after baseball-reference.com), a competitor's ad appeared on b-ref.com's home page. Sounds like someone is a little worried about the progress of PureSim. They should be!

Shaun: I sent you an e-mail a while back in "ref" to some cheap advertising. It might be worth looking into, provided it doesn't conflict with Matrix in some way.

Conspiracy theorist! Absolutely not at all related -- they were doing those adds long before my screens showed up. SI is cool, I like the people over there and I like their games.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Things that make you go hmmmm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI