Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Loading troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading troops - 5/10/2006 12:49:00 PM   
tc464

Using 1.8 with AB map 3, and scenario 115.

When I form a transport or cargo TF at Nanumea or Pago Pago, the game will not allow me to load troops, or anything, except for supply. No ops points, all troops are South Pacific. No problems forming and loading troops anywhere else, just within South Pacific, as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Post #: 1
RE: Loading troops - 5/10/2006 2:31:49 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: tc464

When I form a transport or cargo TF at Nanumea or Pago Pago, the game will not allow me to load troops, or anything, except for supply. No ops points, all troops are South Pacific. No problems forming and loading troops anywhere else, just within South Pacific, as far as I can tell.

You've probably got the AI handling things for you in one of the map sectors. Known bug. I use the AI in Russia and China and handle everything else myself.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 2
RE: Loading troops - 5/10/2006 4:00:55 PM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

You've probably got the AI handling things for you in one of the map sectors. Known bug. I use the AI in Russia and China and handle everything else myself.

The AI hijacking bug was addressed in v1.8.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Loading troops - 5/10/2006 4:14:38 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

This is most likely the wrong pwhex file. Andrew's map realigns base locations and his pwhex file adjusts map characteristics accordingly. If you don't have the correct pwhex file the definition of the map does not agree with the artwork. The map processor thinks the location of Noumea is a water hex, etc.

Check the install of the map. If you did a V1.8 comprehensive it might have overwritten the pwhex file. In any event, I believe the current version of ABs map is five.

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 4
RE: Loading troops - 5/10/2006 6:37:41 PM   
tc464

Thanks to all for the comments/suggestions..

I will check the AI thing, I never use the auto convoy stuff so I never thought to look.

I will look at the pwhex thing too, but one question there.. If there was a problem with that, wouldnt I be getting problems at more locations besides Pago Pago and Nanoumea ?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 5
RE: Loading troops - 5/10/2006 6:41:25 PM   
Mike Solli

I'm tc464's opponent. I do know there are some discrepancies with the map. I have 68 ships in limbo due to Tainan being moved. We're reluctant to restart since we've been playing for a year. Hope we don't have to restart. (I'm beating him all over the Pacific. )

I don't currently have this problem.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 6
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 12:47:30 AM   
BPRE

quote:

Thanks to all for the comments/suggestions..

I will check the AI thing, I never use the auto convoy stuff so I never thought to look.

I will look at the pwhex thing too, but one question there.. If there was a problem with that, wouldnt I be getting problems at more locations besides Pago Pago and Nanoumea ?

I think it can happen close to Bombay and Sydney too. If you have TFs in certain hexes and switch to ABs map they can become landlocked.

Regards
BPRE

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 7
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 2:23:38 AM   
FeurerKrieg

A couple people had the same problem upon first starting Iron Storm (a CHS based scenario). It was always because the wrong map date file was in place.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to BPRE)
Post #: 8
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 3:55:34 AM   
Mike Solli

We've been playing this PBEM for almost a year.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 9
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 4:10:49 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

So why did you switch maps partway thru?

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 10
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 4:43:10 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Have you been playing with the same map, and a scenario designed for use with that map, since the start of the game? There shold be no "movement" of bases to different locations, or changes in map data, during a game.

Andrew

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 11
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 6:42:38 AM   
JeffroK

"Folks are dumb where I come from"

I am amazed at the many posts complaining that "The Game" isnt working, and then you find they have upgarded/changed versions.

Everytime you change the database you will increase the chance of the Game not playing correctly.

And changing databases and not maps will see an amazing amount of error, from memory the Hawaiian Islands move 3-4 hexes?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 12
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 6:25:59 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Have you been playing with the same map, and a scenario designed for use with that map, since the start of the game? There shold be no "movement" of bases to different locations, or changes in map data, during a game.

Andrew

Yes Andrew. We started under 1.5 with your map, v. 3b I believe. We upgraded to 1.6 and then 1.8. No changes to the map were made since the start. The only problem was 68 of my ships which are in limbo, and have been since the start. I was unaware of the problem when we started and can live with it. You came out with the fix but we had already started and didn't want to restart.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 13
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 6:29:53 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

So why did you switch maps partway thru?

We did not switch maps. We have been using the same map since the start. The only change was the 1.8 patch.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 14
RE: Loading troops - 5/12/2006 6:35:26 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

"Folks are dumb where I come from"

I am amazed at the many posts complaining that "The Game" isnt working, and then you find they have upgarded/changed versions.

Everytime you change the database you will increase the chance of the Game not playing correctly.

And changing databases and not maps will see an amazing amount of error, from memory the Hawaiian Islands move 3-4 hexes?

I resent the implication you made to my opponent and me. There were no database changes made at all. The only changes we have made were official patches 1.6 and 1.8 from Matrix. I have always assumed that the support forum was the place where giltches and concerns were aired. Apparently, that was a foolish assumption.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 15
RE: Loading troops - 5/13/2006 2:13:03 AM   
Don Bowen

From a code standpoint, Version 1.8 was an upgrade to Version 1.795. However the Comprehensive Version 1.8 patch included all changes since Version 1.6. This is quite a while ago and many of us, including me, sometimes forget about the database changes that were included in patches from V1.6 to V1.795.

I do not specifically recall if pwhex was changed in the Comprehensive patch but, if it was, you obviously lost the version you have been using.

If you do not have a backup can get one from Andrew's excellent site. There is also the automated map switching utility that Andrew has provided. I would suggest that you try re-establishing the prior pwhex file and see if the problem is corrected.

BE SURE TO BACK UP THE OFFICIAL PWHEX FILE FIRST.

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 16
RE: Loading troops - 5/13/2006 3:10:36 AM   
michaelm75au

PWHEX was changed in 1.6 to include Andrew Brown's changes for the official map.

Thus if the comprehensive patch was used, then the pwhex would have been replaced.

Michael

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 17
RE: Loading troops - 5/15/2006 6:22:02 PM   
Mike Solli

tc464 reinstalled AB's map and all is well. Our game is back on. Thanks.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Loading troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI