Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interested but...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Interested but... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interested but... - 5/11/2006 1:11:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

I would like to know how this is for the beginner.

I am very interested in getting into baseball, but it seems, at every turn, I'm thrown abbreviations and statistics for things I have no clue about.

I watch it on Channel 5 here in the UK and I have no idea what they are talking about most of the time. I like the game and I like the look of the game. I even bought and imported EA Sports Baseball game and that, also, is full of stats with abbreviations I have no idea about.

Does this game ease you in? Does it explain what the abbreviations are if you hold the mouse over them? I noticed a screen of the new 2006 player card and it says at the top
Majors: VsL Bats 7th and plays 1B | VsR Bats 2nd and plays 1B | )
now I'm gussing it's saying he bats 7th and mans 1st base and bats 2nd and plays 1 base...but what does VsL mean? Is it explained in the game or the manual?

I'm more concerned that I could buy this game and think "What does this abbreviation mean" all the time...in which case, just like EA Sports game, I will get bored and move on...not because I don't like the genre or the actual game of baseball, but because I don't understand the abbreviations and, therefore, what the stats mean.

Also
1. is there a demo I can look at?
2. is the play interactive, or does the computer do all the pitching (almost put throwing!! ) and batting?

Thx

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 5/11/2006 1:18:48 PM >

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 1:23:19 PM   
captskillet

VsL (Vs Lefthanded pitchers)..........VsR (right handed pitchers). Ck this site out Judge it should give some insight on what the stats are and how they are figured.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stats.shtml

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 1:49:55 PM   
JudgeDredd

That's great captskillet, grat link and I will keep the link for future.

But does the game help by allowing you to hover the button over the abbreviation and tell you what it is?
Also, is there a demo? And when is 2007 out (don't want 2005 if 2007 is round the corner)
And....is the gameplay itself interactive?

Thx

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 5/11/2006 1:57:24 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 3
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 3:44:12 PM   
captskillet

2007 should be released this week sometime Judge...........and yes it is interactive, you have decisions to make, advancing runners, changing pitchers, stealing, hit & run, etc.........just about all the 'decisions' a real life manager/base coach would have to make!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 3:47:47 PM   
tbear2b

I just wanted to let you know as a fan of baseball, basketball, and American football, I had the same reaction as you toward soccer at first. I was unsure what things meant and who was who. So I can understand your dilemma.

quote:

But does the game help by allowing you to hover the button over the abbreviation and tell you what it is?

I'm not sure if this is in 2007 or not, although as CaptSkillet pointed out, there are plenty of reference sites. If it makes you feel better, when I first started playing baseball text sims, I too had to look up some of the statistical abbreviations! And I had been watching the game since I was four!

quote:

Also, is there a demo? And when is 2007 out (don't want 2005 if 2007 is round the corner)

Not sure if there will be a demo this year. Shaun mentioned it, but I haven't heard anything more about it. 2007 is literally coming out within the week, so don't spend the money on 2005. Although 2005 is a great game, 2007 is not drastically different in layout, but added a tremendous amount of content and experience to the game.

quote:

And....is the gameplay itself interactive?

If you mean, can you manage a game by selecting options during it? Yes! You have managerial control during the game, so not for individual pitches (like whether to throw a curveball, fastball, etc.) but you can change you defense, walk the batter, etc. This goes for both sides of the ball in terms of options.

I hope that you get a chance to check out the game. If you are worried about the amount of statistical abbreviations you will have to look up, this game will probably be your safest bet among baseball text sims. It is deep, but not overly complex, and the beauty is in the actual quality of simulation. It has more accurately portrayed baseball than any other simulation.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 3:48:31 PM   
JudgeDredd

Thx captskillet....just a couple of things...

Ok...so it's "interactive". But am I right in thinking this is more a "strategy" game, in that you don't actually control any players? If so, that's cool....makes a change from FP sports games.

Also, what is the deal with the abbreviations? Does hovering the mouse over the abbreviation show what it means? I hope so, I like tooltip help (like NASCAR Racing Season 2003) alot.

Sorry to bang on about this abbreviation stuff, but it is hard going for people new to a sport to get to grips with what the abbreviations mean.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 6
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 4:04:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

Thx tbear2b...helped alot. I may well get this one.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 7
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 4:52:54 PM   
redeck

hey Judge, if you have any questions about baseball or its stats and their abreviations, dont pull your hair out friend, just post it here, there are dozens of long time fans on this message board who would happly explain the game and any of its nuances.

(even if we cant spell all the big words correctly LOL)

no i dont believe the game supports complete explenations of all the stat abreviations, and no the game doesnt have action control over the players or use any kind of joystick or controller. its script meaning the core of the game runs around the idea that you control a team and its players from a general managers veiw point or a coaches veiw point, where you decide what players you want on your team, or you decide on the field what they should be doing, but you dont control the actual doing. these things are played out in the game engine based on the players stats and ratings.

again if your lost about a stat or anything else, just ask here, lots of guys will help you out, and with so many of us checking this board daily, answers are USUALLY pretty quick. and the game developer is here often and very active on this board as well.

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 7:47:40 PM   
Amaroq

Judge,

This game is in the same 'sports management' genre that SI's Football Manager 2006 is, if you're familiar with that (being in the UK!). You can play the game either as the Manager, making decisions during the course of each game, or as the General Manager letting an AI manager make the decisions for each game and concentrating on the development of the team over multiple seasons.

I like to say EA's games (where you control a single player) are focused on a single game, and might scale UP to a single season - this game is focused on multiple seasons, and scales down to a single season or a single game if needed.

And, like redeck said, just ask here! I may not be up at UK hours, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 9
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 9:20:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, sounds like a fun game and you lot seem friendly and helpful enough. When Puresim 2007 is out, I'll get it. Cheers peeps.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 10
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 9:41:52 PM   
Amaroq

No problem - I got a lot of help from folks in the UK when trying to pick up ChampMan as a non-soccer-fan, so I'm only too happy to repay the favor.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Interested but... - 5/11/2006 10:04:14 PM   
besbol

Here is another great page for explaining baseball abbreviations.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/bat_glossary.shtml

This is also a great reference site for team & player stats and history

besbol been berry berry good to me

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Interested but... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI