Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Company Command (Rally)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Company Command (Rally) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Company Command (Rally) - 5/14/2006 8:39:06 PM   
Whitmire

Will Captains always rally any units within 3 hexes of them or will they only give their bonus to units in their own company?

I'm pondering whether I should assign an armoured Company Command unit AND an infantry Company Command unit to hold my centre, or whether I shall split the Commanders - one to bolster the morale of the attacking force and another to hold the line.

Odd enough, I'm attacking with infantry and holding with armour (supported by more infantry). My tanks have severe issues with the terrain they'd have to advance through. ;)
Post #: 1
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/14/2006 11:05:24 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Company Commanders only rally the troops in their formation. Your Infantry CO cannot rally any of the armoured formations, and vice versa.

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 2
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/14/2006 11:43:02 PM   
Whitmire

Ah, okay, that was quick. Thanks!

Sometimes, when I've removed a unit or two from a Company formation, I've seen newly bought units appear under the Company "0" unit even though they're not part of the original formation.

For example:

B0 Cossacks (Company Command)

C0 12,7mm HMG
C1 12,7mm HMG

D0 Cossacks
D1 Cossacks
D2 Cossacks
D3 Cossacks

E0 Cossacks
E1 Cossacks
Etc.

Now the 12,7mm HMGs should have no business as C-units under a B0 Cossacks unit, but sometimes when you buy a section of individual support weapons, they appear under a Company Command unit nonetheless. This has made me wonder whether the company formations have some hidden meaning.

Well, now I know that the formations DO have a meaning, and it's not that hidden either. If only I could solve the mystery of displacing support weapons...

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/14/2006 11:50:26 PM   
Alby

Point of Parlimentary proceedure....
always wanted to use that line

alot of formations were "arranged" wrong in the oob editor we discovered, while working on SPWAW Enhanced.

for instance something that is classed as a "platoon" should not have a Platoon in it.

example...
Motor AT Plt

unit 1 75mm AT Gun
unit 2 75 MM AT Gun
unit 3 Med truck section( which is already classed a a platoon in another formation slot, this formation should be classed as Company for this particular layout)

Correct layout would be..(using just generic names for the units here)

unit 1 75mm AT Gun
unit 2 75mm AT Gun
unit 3 Medium Truck
unit 4 Medium Truck

Otherwise they will come out inappropriately organized once you purchase them.
hope this makes sense....

Hopefully we caught most all of these type errors

< Message edited by Alby -- 5/14/2006 11:51:57 PM >

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 4
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/15/2006 3:04:32 AM   
FlashfyreSP

There's another potential problem with the "nesting" system: only one formation can "nest" inside another. if you have a formation that includes another formation, you cannot put it into a THIRD formation; if you do, nothing of the second formation will show up.

And a further point on the company command question:

Whitmire, anytime you delete a subformation from the company, further purchases will "refill" the company with the next immediate formation(s). The company formation is pre-set as a group of formations; removing any subs does not reduce the company's overall size.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 5
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/15/2006 4:29:29 PM   
maniacalmonkey

quote:

Whitmire, anytime you delete a subformation from the company, further purchases will "refill" the company with the next immediate formation(s). The company formation is pre-set as a group of formations; removing any subs does not reduce the company's overall size.

How does this work with overlapping company formations?

For example, I buy a company and delete its last subformation. I then buy a second company. Would this second company's command unit "refill" the first company's formation? What would be the effects of that?

Can a company command unit be subordinate to another company command unit while retaining command of its own company

When cities burn and armies turn,
and flee in disarray,
Cowards will cry 'tis best to fly
and fight another day,
But warriors know it in their marrow when they
die and fall,
It is better to have fought and lost than not have
fought at all.

Post #: 6
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/15/2006 10:11:35 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: maniacalmonkey

quote:

How does this work with overlapping company formations?

For example, I buy a company and delete its last subformation. I then buy a second company. Would this second company's command unit "refill" the first company's formation? What would be the effects of that?

Can a company command unit be subordinate to another company command unit while retaining command of its own company

To an extent. The second company bought will fill any missing formation slots in the first company; since the first subformation in the second company is the CO, that unit will be subordinate to the first company commander. As to whether the second CO retains any command ability over the rest of its company formation, that I do not know for certain. From anecdotal reports made by others during previous discussions of this system, it appears that once the first company is refilled, the second company operates without a CO, since that unit is actually part of the first company. This implies that the second CO loses his command ability over any other unit; in effect, it becomes like any other subformation, whose command structure is limited to those units in its own formation.

The advantage to this flaw is that you can purchase a company, strip out a few unwanted subformations, and refill them with simple section or platoon formations, and save points. It is recommended that you not purchase another company right after stripping out the first one; the best result is to keep track of how many subformations you remove from the first company, replace those, and then buy your necxt company.

(in reply to maniacalmonkey)
Post #: 7
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 12:09:28 AM   
KNomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP
The advantage to this flaw is that you can purchase a company, strip out a few unwanted subformations, and refill them with simple section or platoon formations, and save points. It is recommended that you not purchase another company right after stripping out the first one; the best result is to keep track of how many subformations you remove from the first company, replace those, and then buy your necxt company.

So .. I can buy a company ... replace an formation with something different ... and still have that replacement under command of the co capt?

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

Post #: 8
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 12:38:38 AM   
FlashfyreSP

That certainly seems to be the case. I have, on occasion, replaced a subformation or two in my core force because I wanted something different, and those replacement subs were rallied by the company CO.

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 9
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 5:45:57 AM   
azraelck

I have as well. I've even taken Inf cos and subbed in a platoon of medium tanks for their inf AT group. It worked out fair enough, but I found the force lacking in some areas. That was very early in my SPWaW career.

Post #: 10
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 6:47:38 AM   
KG Erwin

Interesting. My philosophy has been to alter the OOBs to match my customized core forces. For the USMC, it was pretty easy, as their concepts of creating combined-arms combat teams was established as early as 1942.

You may characterize them as single-minded "beat your head against the wall" types, but the Marines carefully considered the types of missions they had to perform, and quickly learned how to tailor their force compositions to get the job done.

Consider the evolution of the rifle squad from a 9-man unit in 1942 into three fire teams with four men each by 1944 -- this is a concept that is still being used today.

These guys became a model of military efficiency -- for direct-fire support, each company had six .30 cal MMGs or HMGs and three 60mm mortars. Battalion could also add some bazookas, 81mm mortars and maybe a .50 cal MG. Regiment could thrown in a 75mm -armed halftrack or two. Division could assist with even more .50 cals and tanks, plus engineers and specialized assault squads with demolitions and flamethrowers.

How could guys like these ever lose? Well, they didn't ever lose, but they paid a heavy price for gettin it done. You may tire of hearing about them, but I never tire of talking about them.

A modern bumper-sticker says "When it absolutely has to be destroyed overnight, call the US Marines". That is only a slight exaggeration. Sometimes it took days or weeks, but they always prevailed.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/16/2006 6:49:52 AM >

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 11
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 11:09:53 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

These guys became a model of military efficiency -- for direct-fire support, each company had six .30 cal MMGs or HMGs and three 60mm mortars. Battalion could also add some bazookas, 81mm mortars and maybe a .50 cal MG. Regiment could thrown in a 75mm -armed halftrack or two. Division could assist with even more .50 cals and tanks, plus engineers and specialized assault squads with demolitions and flamethrowers.

Well, that's possible if your country is rich enough to support you with all the toys possible. In small scale similar compositions took place in Finnish army during WWII, and I believe also in all other armies. But you are right, the scale is probably larger than in any other army. But how far that idea goes from German Kampfgruppe-idea?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Company Command (Rally) - 5/16/2006 1:07:05 PM   
Whitmire

OK, not only does these answers clear the question, but it also presents interesting opportunities to use the CO's superior Rally ability to bolster supporting troops which *I* can choose.

Nice! This will make buying units even more interesting. A pity it does not show where the CO's influence ends.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Company Command (Rally) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI