Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ballpark Effects

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Ballpark Effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ballpark Effects - 5/28/2006 5:38:47 PM   
native son

It seems to me that the effects of the below-average fence distances should be toned down just a little. I'm not going off of any statistical data or anything, it's just an intuitive feel that I've gotten from the game over several versions. The short-fence effects seem okay to me for balls hit down the lines; but when LF, LCF, RF, and RCF are well below average distances. the homerun totals for that park go up a little too much.

For example, there are ballparks from the deadball era that may have RF or RCF listed at 300 feet or so, and in Puresim that results in a huge difference in homerun totals for the home team players over a season. What I'm seeing isn't absurdly out of line, but I definitely think it needs to be "slightly to moderately" adjusted. My workaround has always been to make sure that the gaps and straightaways are always at least 340 ft. regardless of their historical listings.

Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Ballpark Effects - 5/28/2006 9:43:12 PM   
Amaroq

native son - I observe that (also).

However, I think its an artifact of having an engine designed to simulate 'modern' players first. The dead-ball era doesn't really translate well. I don't think the sim engine is allowing for the fact that players weren't swinging for fly balls over the fences, and I suspect the 'average fly ball distance' doesn't change as dramatically as it needs to to really reflect the dead-ball era.

What I did for that era was set up all of my parks to be fairly large, especially parks which claimed to have like a 270' foul line or something, I just pushed that back. Is not important to me what the 'park dimension numbers' claim is happening, its important to me what statistics get generated, and if the world 'feels' right.

The other thing that I think is missing are the "long fly ball turns into a double/triple/inside-the-park-home-run" results - the results which should happen if I crank one over the head of the center fielder in a park that had a 530' center-field fence. If it rolls to the wall, the throwing distance to get it back in is tremendous.

(in reply to native son)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Ballpark Effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI