Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Like this game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Like this game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Like this game! - 3/27/2006 10:28:40 PM   
blastpop

PLayed the game now 5 times- twice with Tut scen 1 and 3 times with tut scen 2.

Great game- Would like to see this system used to recreate WWII armored battles up to a corps size. The system seems flexable enough at this early stage in my playing it. Time and distance scales would need adjustment.

Looking forward to playing the Sov's in scen 2 to see how they perform vs the Americans. Will play it tonight.

Anyone create any new maps or scenarios?
Post #: 1
RE: Like this game! - 3/28/2006 12:22:53 AM   
CapnDarwin

blastpop,

Glad you like. Rob and the rest of the crew worked very hard on the update and it is like a whole new game now. WW2 is on the fringe of the radar. Rob would ultimately go down the WW2 road with the system once we run the modern gambit.

Maps. No new ones. The maps look really great but the system to make them is not user friendly and was never intended to be a public tool. We are correcting that for the next game. We will have "less pretty" maps, but we will have an editor and maps of various sizes. Something the current system can't handle.

Scenarios. I have one I've been messing with for months, but I haven't had time to polish up. Another one of our beta testers is working on a scenario pack and that should be surfacing soon.

Enjoy!

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 3/30/2006 7:07:35 AM >

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 2
RE: Like this game! - 3/28/2006 4:06:32 AM   
IronManBeta

I too am glad to hear you like the game blastpop! WW2, ah yes, it is a gleam in the eye right now but is definitely moving in that direction. Give us at least a year though. We want to get the mechanics in place first and do a proper job of it and there is still some additional modern items needed to round out the present offerings. Happily, most have WW2 application too.

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Like this game! - 3/30/2006 4:41:03 AM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

blastpop,

Glad you like. Rob and the rest of the crew worked very hard on the update and it is like a whole new game now. WW2 is on the fringe of the radar. Rob would ultimately go down the WW2 road with the system once we run the modern gambit.

Maps. No new ones. The maps look really great but the system to make them is not user friendly and was never intended to be a public tool. We are correcting that for the next game. We will have "less pretty" maps, but we will have an editor and maps of various sizes. Something the current system can't handle.

Scenarios. I have one I've been messing with for months, but I haven't had time to polish up. Another on of our beta testers is working on a scenario pack and that should be surfacing soon.

Enjoy!

Oooooo, scenario pack! Can't wait for that. I've had the game for awhile but am really enjoying the new patch. Especially like how recon behaves now.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Like this game! - 3/30/2006 7:09:20 AM   
CapnDarwin

Rob,

Happy to hear that you are enjoying the game. I haven't heard any new news on the scenario work, but I've been overloaded with work, more work, work on FPME, sick kids and work. Never enough hours in the day.

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 5
RE: Like this game! - 5/27/2006 5:02:11 PM   
FlipTrac_511

As I mentioned in another thread, I've owned FPG since it came out, but due to time contsraints and what not, I have begun to dedicate myself to it only recently. With version 1.11 I was able to jump into to it with little fuss, while with the original version I was fumbling with just the tutorials (admittedly another reason I shelfed FPG initially). BTW, the cities look great in this version! I'm beginning to enjoy this game with a nostalgic feeling of yesteryear when SSI and SSG reigned supreme in the floppy disk era. Well done.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Like this game! - 5/27/2006 5:14:35 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks!! We keep working hard to improve the game and the series. We are working hard to be able to demo an early beta (more like alpha) of the next game at Origins at the end of June. We'll also be showing off FPG too.

(in reply to FlipTrac_511)
Post #: 7
RE: Like this game! - 5/29/2006 3:47:07 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

Just to add to the lobbying going on here .

I too am new to the game, downloaded the game last night… . Let me repeat what the original poster said, great game, way better than I expected. Like many wargamers I have been disappointed so many times that I am a bit nervous of rushing to spend my money on what developers like to call “wargames”…. but only too often turn out to be what I would call “PC games set in a war setting…” very different from a real wargame such as Flashpoint or Combat Mission. Happily, Flashpoint has turned out to be real wargame… great stuff. Congratulations to those who revived the old engine.

However, I too would love to see the engine used for WWII. The greater mix of unit types, infantry, mechanised, armoured… would make for an outstanding game using this engine. In my very prejudiced view .

I will just end by saying that I too love the Cold War as a setting, lobbied Battlefront to do a Cold War Combat Mission for years… unsuccessfully . But if there is a fine wargame engine out there I like to see both WWII and Cold War used. The Cold War has the best toys, but the greater range of unit types in WWII, plus it really happened, means it remains my number one setting for wargames.

Looking forward to more from the team,
once again congratulations,
All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Like this game! - 5/29/2006 6:39:54 PM   
CapnDarwin

Kip,

Thanks for the praise! Rob Crandall is the lead programmer and did the release version as the only programmer so the kudos go his way. We have had fantastic support from our testers and also great inputs from players like yourself. Matrix has been very supportive of our continuing support of FPG even as we work on the next game in the series. Rob would like to take the game engine to WW2 down the road. Right now we are focused on more modern/near future conflicts like the Arab-Israeli conlicts, Far East (Russia, China, Koreas, etc), back into Europe with an expanded front, Mid-East, and then into WW2. Could be a while to get there but that is the long term plan as long as folks are interested in the game engines style and easy of use. We are targeting new wargames, but we also want die hard wargames to find the game challenging as well.

Thanks again.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 9
RE: Like this game! - 5/30/2006 4:34:45 AM   
Viper6

I'll certainly agree that this is an amazing system and war game that has huge potential, that's why I bought the game and it's why I signed up for the test team as soon as I was able. I must say Rob and the Capn have done as amazing job on the original release and an even more amazing job with the patches; I have never before seen a game where players can talk with the devs so easily and make suggestions that, if good, will certainly see their way into the next patch. I am very proud to be, in a little way, a member of this team.

That said I would like the see the game stay focused on modern conflicts, while I realize that this game has a really nice system and how popular WWII games are right now; I think modern combat is really this game's niche in that thee are so very few modern tactical wargames out there that are in the same league as FPG. Still WWII can be fun and I wouldn't mind to see the game go in that direction, I did stay up until 3:00am last night watching Band of Brothers on the history channel.

Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Like this game! - 6/20/2006 11:46:46 PM   
Awac835

Why do every single game in wargameing have to be about worldwar 2 ??? really help me out becouse i dont get it. I mean theres Isreal v arab, iran v iraq, gulfwar1&2,bosnia,africa,coldwar,soon also north korea v US

Is it becouse some of those are to close to us and you dont wanna touch on em? or is becouse mordern warfare bores the people at Matrixgames? Is it to hard to model low intenisty conflicts of today?

Im happy with FPG no doubt, and your other games are grate to if you like WW2 but why is there so few modern war games?

(in reply to Viper6)
Post #: 11
RE: Like this game! - 6/21/2006 12:38:07 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Well Awac, I think kip said it best:
quote:

...greater range of unit types in WWII, plus it really happened...

I also think the era is highly popular because of its massive scale and huge media coverage.  Maybe also because battles and the war itself could've easily gone a different direction, and gamers are eager to 'make history' their own way.  And one can't deny that the machines used therein were terribly awesome.

But IMO the best 'toys' were available between NATO and the WP during the 80's (IFV's, ATGMs, and Gunships, oh my!).  Therefore it is my preferred era in wargaming.  I'd still love to see NATO vs WP in the Middle East, circa 1980. For now, I am thoroughly enjoying FPG!

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 6/21/2006 12:39:07 AM >

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 12
RE: Like this game! - 8/2/2006 2:24:06 AM   
andym

I would love to see a "what if..." gamette set in Berlin.What if the "stalemate" at Checkpoint Charlie escalated?It would mean including Infantry,but what a game it would be!!!!Resistance fighters,Spetznaz Units and the like!!!!!Ho Hum!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to FlipTrac_511)
Post #: 13
RE: Like this game! - 8/4/2006 10:51:36 PM   
andym

Its arrived and installed!!I have tried the 1st Scenario and WON!Its BRILLIANT!thank you guys, i now have a meaning to an otherwise dulll existence!!!!!I best go and read the manual properly now then!

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 14
RE: Like this game! - 8/5/2006 12:17:45 AM   
CapnDarwin

Andy,

Glad to hear it is up and running and worth the price. Don't forget to download the Blue Star scenario pack over at the wargamer too once you go through the standard scenarios.

Happy hunting!

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 15
RE: Like this game! - 8/5/2006 12:59:14 AM   
andym

Already loaded Capn,luckily my version is the latest so i dont need the patch.I just need to adjust to the fact that i have no "real" control in the units combat,unlike in board games where you choose which unit to attack.I just need to cram up on the manual a bit and try a few more scenarios before i install the scenarios.So far it has surpassed all expectations and i cant wait to see future games in the pipeline!As we used to say in the RN "Bravo Zulu" to the developers!!!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Like this game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI