Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

russian force selection 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> russian force selection 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
russian force selection 1941 - 5/31/2006 8:12:27 AM   
pbhawkin1

Hi all,
Anyone got some useful ideas on what Russian units would make up a good combined arms force in July 1941 against Germans in PBEM version 8.3, 8.403 or enhanced?
2000 to 3000 points.

Regards
Post #: 1
RE: russian force selection 1941 - 5/31/2006 9:25:21 AM   
serg3d

removed, I thought you were asking about campain force

(in reply to pbhawkin1)
Post #: 2
RE: russian force selection 1941 - 6/1/2006 4:24:18 PM   
Svennemir

Hmm, your primary problem will be the inability of your tanks to hit those of the enemy and the ability of the enemy ones to hit yours. This means you will surely need something that can withstand a few hits. T-34 should do well in this area, but they are somewhat expensive. KV-1 tanks are almost invincible, but it's not realistic to have extremely large numbers of those (also they are no good if they all get suppressed by artillery). You should get a fair amount of infantry, since they can form your main front line without fear of being destroyed in 'one shot' like tanks. If the enemy engages your concentrations of infantry, they will be bogged down for some time (your infantry might suffer bad casualties, but that's normal. Just be sure the enemy engages them in close combat with as large a force as possible), allowing you to plot a few mortars or light artillery to suppress them. That's the point where your fast T-34s should overrun them, having been hidden behind something. This strategy is possible because the enemy will have to commit a relatively large amount of forces to break a line of infantry with minimal losses. The German forces are expensive so it's likely (hopefully) that a large part of their force which will be engaged. Anyway a fast artillery bombardment will allow you one or two rounds of complete superiority, during which you have the chance to rout a large part of their forces. Last, you may throw a few AT-guns in there that overlook the battlefield so they can't quite manoeuvre freely (or you can make them not fire till the enemy is close, then unleash a horrible hail of gunfire against them).

Anyway, this leaves us with:
Fast tanks, preferably T-34 and possible a few light tanks to help with the overrunning.

Lots of infantry. Perhaps some conscripts. Just make sure there's a (thin) line of it advancing across relevant parts of the map.

Enough artillery to suppress in a small area. Rockets are good at this, but cannot be used more than once. Thus they are more expensive per ammo but since they deliver all of it in one turn this might make wonders. Mortars and light artillery are good, economically sound choices as well. Sometimes medium mortars can be quite efficient at immobilizing tanks....

The thing that makes this work frequently is that many German players feel somewhat invincible because of their high accuracy (I assume this is the case) and will readily engage the infantry bait knowing they can kill the infantry relatively easily. Just keep advancing with the infantry through some forest or whatever, then they'll have to attack them sooner or later.

Your worst fear would be if the German holds a large mobile reserve, which good players will most likely do. Then it'll just become a bloody mess, but - well - that's normal.

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> russian force selection 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI