Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 5:23:26 AM   
VanScoy

A little time spent on the OOTP forums will show you that many people, particularly casual players, are having a great deal of trouble with OOTP06's steep learning curve and not a few bugs. Some players have reported that they have spent 3-4 hours setting up baseball universes the way they want them. While I am sure it will grow into a groundbreaking and detailed program, I so enjoy buying and playing PS2007 and having enough options and detail for me. Congrats Shaun on such a great product.
Post #: 1
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 5:35:19 AM   
Jliven61

VanScoy - I agree.  I also have looking at the OOTP Forums. Did I see that right?  It has a 350-page game guide.  Geez.

I bought the game in 04 I think at an EB when it was titled "Season Ticket Baseball."  It was a fairly solid game.  I am on the fence as to whether to pick it up or not.

Puresim seems to have that the right mix of baseball detail and all around fun.  I have been very happy with Puresim and the effort Shaun puts into listening to his customers and addressing concerns.

Jliven61

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 2
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:02:29 AM   
Beach23BoyP

OOTP v6.51a was a great BB sim.  Easy to get into and very accurate in its stat production.  This new version is (I agree) "madness".  As I said before it is going to be like working a night-time accounting job.

I predict many OOTPers will go back to v6.51a and perhaps some will head toward PS.  BTW, besides the steep learning curve, the interface is flat out too "text-sie and too cumbersome".  Many of the screens are impossible to read very long because of the lack of what is called in the publishing world -- "white space".

IMO, the pitch by pitch "webcast screen" was an excellent idea (copy of MLB's Gameday), but again it is overfilled with text, and I can't see how anyone could enjoy staring at it that long. 

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 6/1/2006 6:04:51 AM >

(in reply to Jliven61)
Post #: 3
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:19:56 AM   
MizzouRah_slith

I'm sure it'll grow on people.

For me, ootp 6.5 and Puresim 2007 both see playing time.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 4
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:30:39 AM   
VanScoy

There is too much emphasis on "scouting the baseball world" IMHO. Assigning scouts to players, teams or leagues on a day by day basis is too much like work for my tastes. Plus the fact that apparently you have to add the minor league universes yourself has kept my card in my wallet for now. I agree Bill, some people are complaining about the "white space" issue. I am sure I will buy it sooner or later, but not today. 

(in reply to MizzouRah_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:40:54 AM   
KG Erwin

Let's hope that Shaun is paying attention to this.  There's a fine line between an enjoyable game and an exercise in accounting.   I'm a tax auditor, but I don't do it for fun.   It's a freakin job.

That being said, it's only natural that I'm a baseball fan.   I love the stats, but playing the game is the thing.  I can't emphasize that enough. 

I don't think that any of us wants Shaun to get lost in minutiae.   He is getting so close to making PS perfect that we can all feel it.  A few more tweaks here and there and it will be THE baseball sim.            

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/1/2006 6:43:42 AM >

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 6
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:52:33 AM   
phillypaul

Ok, I gotta tell you. I have owned every version of OOTP and pre-ordered this one. This is my 2nd version of Puresim and at this point, Puresim is the way to go (at least for me). Maybe my machine is slow, heck, maybe I'm slow but Puresim runs well and is a blast to play. I spent a few hours with OOTP tonight and I've decided to maybe revisit it later this summer. For me personally, it has too much and is a CPU hound. It took me 12 minutes to delete a league from the machine (within the game).

Many people will be very happy with OOTP and many people will be happy with Puresim...I'm in the 2nd Group.

Shaun has done a great job with Puresim and that will keep me happy and baseball sim satisfied, it has everything I want or could think of to have in a game. Marcus received my business this year and who knows about next year. I just don't have the time or patience to invest in the game at this point and I am familar with the interface as I played 50 seasons in EHM and love the interface...just seems, I don't know...

Anyway, this wasn't a post to rant or flame a game it was a post to give an honest opinion of 2 games through my eyes.
And based on my experiences, the summer of 2006 will be a Puresim summer.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 7
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 3:27:35 PM   
madworld

philly,

I'm with you. I've bought all versions of both puresim and ootp since the beginning. I pre-ordered ootp and took it for a spin. I spent a couple of hours looking at the application, the user manual and the 300+(!) game guide for ootp. I decided to shelve it as well and ended up going back to puresim for the rest of the night and had a ball. I'm sure I'll go back to ootp at some point but puresim is getting my limited free time for the foreseeable future.

--Mike

(in reply to phillypaul)
Post #: 8
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 3:29:04 PM   
orton1227

I've been playing OOTP for a couple of days now.  And I have to stay, it's taken all my time cause it's so fun.  I've completely forgotten about PS.  OOTP2k6 is amazing!  Best game ever.  I'm surprised as many people have had trouble with the user interface in OOTP 2k6.  I thought it much easier to use than PS (though I do think PS is a pretty good game).  I'm sure it's just our American love of immediate gratification that's coming into play.  

(in reply to phillypaul)
Post #: 9
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 3:35:40 PM   
VanScoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: orton1227

I've been playing OOTP for a couple of days now. And I have to stay, it's taken all my time cause it's so fun. I've completely forgotten about PS. OOTP2k6 is amazing! Best game ever.

It just came out yesterday. How could you have been playing for a "couple of days now"?

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 10
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 4:42:53 PM   
tbear2b

I've been making my way...slowly...through the 350 page game guide for OOTP2k6 and it looks awesome! That said, I am making my way through a 350 page game guide for a GAME!!!

It looks great, looks like it has a ridiculous amount of options, but at the same time, is meant for those who apparently enjoy the micromanagement level that the game provides.

I might get it sometime, but for now, PureSim is much easier to pick up and play.

quote:

And I have to stay, it's taken all my time cause it's so fun

While I have mo doubt this is true for you, a lot of people have said something like this: "And I have to say, it's taken all my time cause it's so confusing."

I'm glad it is enjoyable for some long-time OOTP fans, because some are just having an awful time figuring it out. It is a transition though, so we will see.

BTW, there should be a demo ot OOTP2k6 coming out on June 7.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 11
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 4:44:18 PM   
HercMighty

I owned the first Puresim sold here, played for a month and shelved. Bought the newest and took it off my hard drive once I tried my copy of OOTP.

Just not enough here to keep me interested.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 12
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 5:14:14 PM   
jacmar

I havent played any OOTP games yet, but as far as ease of use goes, Puresim7 is very enjoyable. That being said, I am having problems with realistic replays. I have played some actual season replays, and let the CPU manage all the teams. I have yet to see the actual winning team for that season come in contention. In fact, the teams that should be first are closer to last, and finish deep in the second division. Am I dong something wrong, or are these replays just basically pot luck as to who could win.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 13
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 5:40:56 PM   
tbear2b

quote:

I owned the first Puresim sold here, played for a month and shelved. Bought the newest and took it off my hard drive once I tried my copy of OOTP.

HercMighty,

A fellow Minnesotan here...Just thought I'd ask what about OOTP do you prefer over PureSim. I think it's always interesting to see, because I really do think the two games are trying for different crowds, despite their common theme, and I am always curious to hear why some prefer one over the other.

Thanks!

(in reply to jacmar)
Post #: 14
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 6:22:43 PM   
HercMighty

So far the overall feel of OOTP is better. I like the hole Website feel. The game feels more in depth.

I plan on running a fantasy league with some friends and co-workers. From what I have seen OOTP will be the way to go. Puresim just doesn't seem to have the depth OOTP has. No training, no scouting, the amount of information is by far less, no pitch by pitch, no minors from what I saw.

Just my thoughts.

< Message edited by HercMighty -- 6/1/2006 6:23:54 PM >

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 15
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 7:12:26 PM   
VanScoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

So far the overall feel of OOTP is better. I like the hole Website feel. The game feels more in depth.

I plan on running a fantasy league with some friends and co-workers. From what I have seen OOTP will be the way to go. Puresim just doesn't seem to have the depth OOTP has. No training, no scouting, the amount of information is by far less, no pitch by pitch, no minors from what I saw.

Just my thoughts.

Plenty of minors, three levels. For an online league, you might want to cruise the OOTP forums. Some people are not happy about the way FTP is implemented in this version, and a few other things regarding online leagues.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 16
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 7:17:27 PM   
HercMighty

I've been around over there, at least it's in place. I am sure there are bugs and some things that need working out, and from what I am hearing the developer is good about fixing things.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 17
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 10:55:20 PM   
tbear2b

I will agree that OOTP has the edge in multiplayer options and the "in-depthness" of the game is much greater.  I sort of figured those would be the sort of things in which you would see the advantage going to OOTP.  Thanks for sharing.

I think it's particularly enlightening because Shaun is doing a great job with PureSim and has worked on a lot of the other areas, which are now better than OOTP in my opinion, although it does have fewer options (some of which I wish were there too) and less multiplayer options and support.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 18
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 10:58:52 PM   
galaril

I have to say I liked the old versions pre-SI and have enjoyed the Pursims 05,06 . This newest OOTP release is starting to look like a trainwreck so far. The old developer Marcus has really alienated a good portion of their fan base well at least the  "non-Koolaid drinking Fanboys" out their with the move to the European-centric SI compay. Like it or not Baseball is not sport that can be translated very easily into an international ie World Cup type set-up. The EHM/FM interface really should have been scraped for this new game. They talked alot about rewriting the baseball engine when they should have done something abou the interface. Anyone who says the interface is fine is lying. I am also, an auditor (IT) by trade and can appreciate not having a second job. Shaun you have pulled off anice coup with this years game good work.Cheers. 

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 19
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/1/2006 11:57:56 PM   
orton1227

quote:

ORIGINAL: VanScoy

quote:

I've been playing OOTP for a couple of days now. And I have to stay, it's taken all my time cause it's so fun. I've completely forgotten about PS. OOTP2k6 is amazing! Best game ever.

It just came out yesterday. How could you have been playing for a "couple of days now"?

Beta Tester

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 20
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 12:00:50 AM   
orton1227

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbear2b

quote:

HercMighty,

A fellow Minnesotan here...Just thought I'd ask what about OOTP do you prefer over PureSim. I think it's always interesting to see, because I really do think the two games are trying for different crowds, despite their common theme, and I am always curious to hear why some prefer one over the other.

Thanks!

For me, the PS interface is very unusual. I feel like I have to do everything backwards or something. I like the drag and drop capability of OOTP. And it's depth is amazing. OOTP is for baseball fans that have to have the realistic feel. PureSim is for statheads that don't care about the realistic feel. That's my impression.

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 21
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 12:25:43 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbear2b

quote:

HercMighty,

Thanks!

For me, the PS interface is very unusual. I feel like I have to do everything backwards or something. I like the drag and drop capability of OOTP. And it's depth is amazing. OOTP is for baseball fans that have to have the realistic feel. PureSim is for statheads that don't care about the realistic feel. That's my impression.

Are we on the same planet?

Granted OOTP 6.5 had a great interface (except for stat presentation), but this new version of OOTP is total madness. I've never seen this many complaints from the OOTPers after any other OOTP release, and I've bought all of them since v3.2. I suspect 30% are heading back to v6.5!

PureSim is for statheads that don't care about the realsitic feel? PS lacks some basic stats! We need more! In no way, is PS game for statheads. Yes, the interface needs to be updated a bit, but it is very simple to use and super easy to jump into.

Again, OOTP 6.5 is an excellent sim. However, it lacks a "fabulous almanac" feature. And the best way I can describe the new OOTP and PS2007 is:

1) OOTP2006 is like "War and Peace"
2) PS2007 is like "Thunderball or From Russia with Love"

I prefer Fleming, and I tried like heck to like Tolstoy!

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 22
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 12:56:31 AM   
VanScoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Beta Tester

Ah that explains it, the beta testers only had the game a couple of days.

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 23
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 1:31:20 AM   
orton1227

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Beta Tester

Ah that explains it, the beta testers only had the game a couple of days.

I did. It took a while to get me set up in the system. Then I was out of town for a wedding of my wife's friend.

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 24
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 1:34:30 AM   
puresimmer

Guys can we just discuss PureSim, things we'd like to see improved, or things we like :) here I think OOTP *and* PureSim are great games. On this forum, it really just is not constructive to a) Slam OOTP or b) Slam PureSim.

I'm not a thread closing kind of guy, but let's keep it civil and constructive.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 25
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 1:43:24 AM   
orton1227

I don't mean to come off slamming either game.  I like them both.  I just wanted to help note the differences.  I find PS's interface awkward and unfamiliar.  But I like it's simplicity.  OOTP is just more realistic overall, but more complex.  I also find it's UI much easier to navigate.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 26
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 1:55:22 AM   
puresimmer

Well that's certainly constructive, but I must say that sometimes when folks are use to a certain UI the knee-jerk reaction is to brand other UI's "clunky" or "non-intuitive." PureSim has always suffered this criticisim from the OOTP faithful. I think my theory is supported by the reaction to the new OOTP 2006 UI (which looks good to me!) -- the OOTP faithful are revolting because it is no longer familiar -- not because it is inhernetly not navigable.

What will help me is specifics. For example, "Shaun, I hate the fact that I can't drag and drop players on the lineup screen." (BTW, I didn't pick that one by accident...)

So, my not-so-objective opionion is that in general, PureSim's UI is quite contemporary with hyperlinks, hot keys etc. Most things are just a click or two away. So, specific examples are what help improve the game. I appreciate the feedback and always consider it.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 27
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 5:36:50 AM   
VanScoy

quote:

I don't mean to come off slamming either game. I like them both. I just wanted to help note the differences. I find PS's interface awkward and unfamiliar. But I like it's simplicity. OOTP is just more realistic overall, but more complex. I also find it's UI much easier to navigate.
I am sorry if I came off as a jerk Orton1227. Certainly didn't mean to start a OOtp vs PS thread. Just commenting on the furor over at those boards. There is room for BOTH on my hard drive also.

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 28
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 7:29:28 PM   
Urth

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

... For example, "Shaun, I hate the fact that I can't drag and drop players on the lineup screen." (BTW, I didn't pick that one by accident...)

Fantastic! This is great news, and will be a very welcome addition to the UI, one that I have thought about but haven't bothered to post about. I look forward to this feature.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun - 6/2/2006 9:53:48 PM   
Temple

I'll put in my two cents. I prefered OOTP6.51 over the PureSim 2007 demo, but having gotten OOTPBB2006, I think I'm going to have to seriously consider getting PS2007. It wasn't that I considered PPS2007 bad, I've just been an OOTP guy for years. Sadly (IMHO) they have morphed OOTP into a Football Manager 2006 clone (the footie sim, also called Worldwide Soccer Manager ). The interface is radically changed from the OOTP6.51 version. Puresim 2007 may have it's own idiosyncrasies, but boy it does seem more approachable than OOTPBB2006 does to me right now.

(in reply to Urth)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> OOTP Madness vs. PS2007 fun Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI