Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM games (suggestions for)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PBEM games (suggestions for) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 5:34:12 PM   
erbage

Hello people. I am looking to begin playing PBEM games and would like some advice and suggestions on which games work well for that. A friend of mine has moved out of the local area and we'd still like to keep the gaming fun alive, hence the PBEM questions. We both like wargames and boardgames in general. We've both played many RPG's, computer-based and pen and paper. We both like RTS's, whether fantasy or not.

The problem is that our schedules are different so that we can't play the games at the same time.

Any suggestions for any PBEM's are much appreciated. (We've looked at Steel Panthers but would be more interested in a "lighter" game to start with.)
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 8:59:34 PM   
Hertston

There's a an awful lot to choose from, so it might help if you could suggest the genres or historical eras that you are particularly interested in.  PBEM generally "works" well enough with any game that actually supports it.

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 10:14:22 PM   
JeF

Herston is right, choice is quite large.

Maybe a game from the Decisive Battles might suit you. It is not very complicated, has rules comparable to a board game, plays well in PBEM.
I'd go for Battles in Normandy instead of Battles in Italy because of the number of "smaller" scenarios included. But Battles in Italy is the latest and is then better supported, with much more additional scenarios.

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 10:28:07 PM   
erbage

Fair enough. I am not so interested in a particular time period, it may be Napoleonic, it may be WWII or even current. It may be fantasy or futuristic.

I am most interested in a easy to jump in to PBEM game that is not full of bugs that is simple enough that any above average (I like to think so) PC gamer, wargamer, and card and board gamer can have fun playing. We are both 30 somethings that have been playing games for about 20 years.

Specifically:
This means that I don't want to spend 3 months learning the rules. (Like ASL)
I am more interested in a fun game than a simulation.
Any type of game whether naval, or ground troops, or anything.

Basically if you had to answer with the "best PBEM you've ever played" what would it be?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 10:37:05 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: erbage
Basically if you had to answer with the "best PBEM you've ever played" what would it be?

The Operational Art of War: Century of Warfare, would take the prize for the best PBEM available I've ever played. However, before you could find a copy of that on eBay or elsewhere, and pay close to full price for something you may never get, you will be able to buy from Matrix Games, the newest version of the TOAW series, TOAW III! (yes, I know it's a shameless plug on my part...)...tick tock, tick tock, look back here, soon!

Second choice would have to be Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It's an older game (1998), but lot's of fun when playing with, or against, a human opponent in PBEM.

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/5/2006 11:20:10 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Probably my favourite PBEM wargames are the HPS "Squad Battles" series, especially the two Vietnam games. The system is a good blend of realism and playability, and you can pick up all you really need in half-an-hour or so. Games are quite quick, as scenarios generally don't have that many turns and each turn doesn't take too long. Just don't expect too much eye candy.

Keep an eye out for the release of Matrix's upcoming "Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm" as well. The movie clip gives you a good idea of what to expect.

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/6/2006 1:10:26 AM   
Fred98

Battles in Italy, Battles in N ormandy, Uncomon Valour.

All published by Matrix

-

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/6/2006 2:08:40 AM   
rhondabrwn

The Operational Art of War, definitely!
It just released today too!

Next the reissue of the Talonsoft Battleground series that will be coming out later this summer.

All will be great for PBEM, fast to learn, and many scenarios to keep you occupied.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 8
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/6/2006 7:06:58 AM   
ravinhood

(Basically if you had to answer with the "best PBEM you've ever played" what would it be?)

Ahhh that's easy. Any of the "Combat Mission" series is the best PBEM I've ever played. It's easy to get into, easy to understand and very good for PBEM. You can make your battles pretty much as large or as small as you want them. You can set them up to play out within a week or two or month long or longer. You as the player setup all the parameters, so, every game is different and it's not like one of those historical simulation games like Battles in Normandy or HPS games with scenarios. It is tactical battles using the wego system. Sorta turn based and real time combined. You issue orders and your opponent issues orders then for one minute you will view the action as it happened.  Very good PBEM game.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 9
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 12:03:57 AM   
erbage

Thank you all, gentleman. I will certainly heed your advice and look at all of these games. I did play Alpha Centauri back in the day, didn't realize it was also PBEM. Also there are many other good suggestions on this list, TOAW III looks interesting.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 12:28:07 AM   
Erik Rutins

If you don't mind a challenge, I also have to suggest War In The Pacific. In PBEM it is fantastic.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 11
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 12:29:33 AM   
Terminus

"If you don't mind a challenge..."; that's a nice way to put it, Erik...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 1:52:02 AM   
YohanTM2

I would go with Battleground Gettysburg when it is re-released. Not too complex, relatively easy combined arms and no production.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 3:19:33 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

I would go with Battleground Gettysburg when it is re-released. Not too complex, relatively easy combined arms and no production.

I would agree with that as a single best choice. It's one of my most played games... ever!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 14
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 4:44:45 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Hehe... I seem to recall Rhonda and I have discussed the matter before, but I would personally recommend HPS' 'Civil War Battles' games (particularly "Campaign Gettysburg") ahead of the Battleground Series - unless the re-release will change the BG games a lot more than I suspect it will. The HPS games are essentially refinements of the BG engine (same author), but with better and smoother combat mechanics, a campaign system and many more scenarios. Not to mention, IMHO, being a lot more fun to play. The only thing BG will have in its favour IMHO is price, the ACW games being bundled.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 15
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 5:10:18 AM   
YohanTM2

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

I would agree with that as a single best choice. It's one of my most played games... ever!

Up for a PBEM game when it is hits?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 16
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 9:07:35 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Hehe... I seem to recall Rhonda and I have discussed the matter before, but I would personally recommend HPS' 'Civil War Battles' games (particularly "Campaign Gettysburg") ahead of the Battleground Series - unless the re-release will change the BG games a lot more than I suspect it will. The HPS games are essentially refinements of the BG engine (same author), but with better and smoother combat mechanics, a campaign system and many more scenarios. Not to mention, IMHO, being a lot more fun to play. The only thing BG will have in its favour IMHO is price, the ACW games being bundled.

Well, I didn't want to steal too much thunder away from the Matrix re-issue vs the HPS Campaign series.

The BG series does have the better graphics and I'll be buying the new release to enjoy that aspect of the game. I love the HPS campaign approach which is what I've been playing lately. However, given the size of the maps and the lengthy movement to contact, those puppies will be a very, very long PBEM. I actually haven't tried any of the shorter scenarios in any of my HPS games.

No, I still stand by BG Gettysburg as a great PBEM game and I'm looking forward to getting the cleaned up version. I really do hate the HPS graphics and only tolerate it because of the superior gameplay and campaign approach.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 17
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 9:14:23 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Up for a PBEM game when it is hits?

Definitely! Count me in for a game once it's released.

I'm also up for an HPS Campaign Gettysburg challenge if anyone is interested in that (but I want to do a campaign and that will be a long game).

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 18
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 9:23:35 AM   
Hertston

quote:

I really do hate the HPS graphics and only tolerate it because of the superior gameplay and campaign approach.

Fair point on the graphics, the 3D in particular are awful (not that I ever used 3D in either game, or any other HPS/Talonsoft game come to that).

I'd love to play an 'epic' Campaign Gettysburg PBEM sometime. If its OK, I'll drop you a message after Panzer Command is released.. at present I'm testing that in what time I can find, and having just paid for TOAW3 Id like to dabble with that a little over the next couple of weeks, too. I'm considering a week's "sickie" if COTA is released this month as well!

< Message edited by Hertston -- 6/7/2006 9:44:43 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 19
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 5:28:33 PM   
YohanTM2

Nice write-up on HPS Gettysburg but those graphics look seriously bad

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 20
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/7/2006 6:07:18 PM   
ravinhood

There's a graphics mod out for HPS's Campaign Gettysburg btw. Was the first thing I downloaded after getting it.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 21
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/9/2006 10:55:04 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

I really do hate the HPS graphics and only tolerate it because of the superior gameplay and campaign approach.

Fair point on the graphics, the 3D in particular are awful (not that I ever used 3D in either game, or any other HPS/Talonsoft game come to that).

I'd love to play an 'epic' Campaign Gettysburg PBEM sometime. If its OK, I'll drop you a message after Panzer Command is released.. at present I'm testing that in what time I can find, and having just paid for TOAW3 Id like to dabble with that a little over the next couple of weeks, too. I'm considering a week's "sickie" if COTA is released this month as well!

Sounds good to me!

I use a combination of all 4 views when I'm playing. I tend to fight in the 3D mode and move in the 2D modes. I'm switching back and forth constantly with the "1-2-3-4" hotkeys for selecting views.

That said, I always go 2D from modern battles (like TOAW). Tacky little pictures of tanks isn't in the same class as the old BG graphics that actually look like a bird's eye view of the battle.

It's all a matter of personal choice. Heck, I've even gotten used to the HPS graphics (but still prefer the old Talonsoft version).

Did you get COTA yet? I picked that up today along with TOAW III earlier this week so I've got my hands full for awhile too. Thanks goodness it's summer.. I only teach 1/2 a day 4 days a week and have all of July off.

< Message edited by rhondabrwn -- 6/9/2006 10:57:01 AM >

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 22
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/9/2006 1:50:56 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Any suggestions for any PBEM's are much appreciated. (We've looked at Steel Panthers but would be more interested in a "lighter" game to start with.)

Light you say? Would Empire do? I know there isn't much to look at first, but when frontlines are drawn, there can be well over hundred units on map. And it's free

Would you like to know more?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 6/9/2006 1:52:21 PM >

(in reply to erbage)
Post #: 23
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/9/2006 7:09:44 PM   
SeaMonkey

You have got to try SC2 or GGWaW. Both a lighter GS type of wargame, excellent for PBEM.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 24
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/9/2006 7:26:52 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Light you say? Would Empire do? I know there isn't much to look at first, but when frontlines are drawn, there can be well over hundred units on map. And it's free

Would you like to know more?

Interesting bit of history... especially the archive of rejection letters and the review in "Creative Computing" - I had a subscription to that mag "way back when"

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 25
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/9/2006 9:57:21 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Did you get COTA yet?

Yup. Heck, it's only money

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 26
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/11/2006 5:01:27 AM   
YohanTM2

link please

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

There's a graphics mod out for HPS's Campaign Gettysburg btw. Was the first thing I downloaded after getting it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 27
RE: PBEM games (suggestions for) - 6/11/2006 5:03:01 AM   
YohanTM2

TOAW...wow...memories

I was one of the playtesters for that one. Korean War...Semper Fi

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PBEM games (suggestions for) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI