Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 5/31/2006 1:54:23 AM   
Jiri

I have maybe a silly question. How looks the official release? Is it in paper box or dvd case? Is there printed manual or manual in pdf only? Is it an ordinary release or sort of home made edition for fans? I would like to buy it, but I do not want to be dissapointed like when I bought War in the Pacific. I wanted it to be jewel of my collection and... get sort of printed insert in dvd box and burned cd with good looking cover, no manual...
Thanks a lot

Jiri
Post #: 1
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 5/31/2006 3:29:50 AM   
parusski

Jiri, the General's edition is worth the money.  The main attraction are the 4 mega campaigns.  These campaign games are different from the free version-the mega campaigns do not always go in the same direction.  There are dozens of directions: depending on you victory levels and options. 

The game can be downloaded digitally for $69.95 or you can pay an extra $10.00 and get digital and a cd shipped to you.

I highley recommend SPWAW General's Editon. If you like the free version you will not be unhappy with the General's edition.  Actually you will LOVE the General's editon.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 2
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 5/31/2006 3:35:48 AM   
Jiri

Yes, I know that the game is perfect, but the question stands how looks the release (box, manual - if any, cd)? Thanks J.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 3
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 5/31/2006 5:21:58 AM   
parusski

AAHH.  Sorry I misunderstood.  Maybe someone else can give you the information you need.  Good luck

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 4
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 5/31/2006 11:47:02 AM   
Jiri

Thanks anyway...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 5
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/7/2006 1:32:48 PM   
Jiri

Well, 140 clicks. Nobody has the General's Edition? Come on people!  

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 6
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/7/2006 11:22:47 PM   
Alby

wells heres a picture

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 7
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 3:40:42 AM   
PimpYourAFV

I found the megacampaigns way too big and cumbersome. Feels too much like work than a game. It's good to buy it anyways to support Matrix and the game.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 8
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 3:57:20 AM   
forgorin

So did you buy it?

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 9
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 10:21:43 AM   
PimpYourAFV

quote:

ORIGINAL: forgorin

So did you buy it?

Do dogs bark? Fish swim? Are KG Erwin and Flashfyre bitter old farts?

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 10
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 10:24:37 AM   
forgorin

So thats a maybe right!

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

Post #: 11
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 11:35:11 AM   
Jiri

Yes, thanks for the picture :) I saw the picture before. OK, I will be more specific about what troubles me. Some time ago I bought War in the Pacific. On the picture on matrixgames site it looks like this:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 12
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 11:38:23 AM   
Jiri

And this is what I get:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 13
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 11:40:23 AM   
Jiri

CD from above:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 14
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 12:15:54 PM   
Jiri

Cd from data side - as you can see, it is burned, not printed (color of the printed cd HAS to be silver). I don't know if that is some sort of "inbetween production" made originaly from Matrix or if that is normal or if the US shop I bought it from cheated me (I bought that game also 2x for my friends). The thing is, that I don't want sort of release anymore and that is why I hesitate with the SPWAW General's Edition.
If somebody has the original SPWAW GE or War in the Pacific and can tell me what I like to hear, it will be great.

Thanks guys

J.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 15
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/8/2006 1:01:17 PM   
forgorin

So you want a proper box eddition. Stampd not copied. you should ask them about that. It will probable be the same as above

(in reply to Jiri)
Post #: 16
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/11/2006 6:49:26 AM   
Zap

TokyoboyTensai,

Can you eleborate? I'm sitting hear at my computer now I want to order it. But its good to know what drawbacks there might be, if any.

Post #: 17
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/11/2006 6:53:20 AM   
junk2drive

TBT won't reply for a while.

I have PM'd you.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 18
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/11/2006 7:36:35 AM   
Zap

Got your PM. Sent you one back

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 19
RE: How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? - 6/11/2006 10:00:17 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm scratching head here.

ALL of the Box image looking graphics, to my knowledge, are just web site image graphics, unless I am mistaken. Or in other words, they don't actually sell them in boxes identical to the graphics on the web site. I think the graphics are just that, graphics to represent the game, but they are merely iconic images.

I could be wrong of course, I'm not a Matrix Games official, and don't let my post count total make me seem important, I'm not.

I also believe I am correct, when I say, they release their cd on demand releases in dvd cases, ie the game arrives in a dvd case, there never was a box in some instances.

Long ago (seems that way at least) I bought HTTR Highway to the Reich off of a store shelf retail copy. It had a typical box, of the sort that has a front flap that opens book type. Printed manual and cd in paper sleeve.
I also obtained EYSA Eric Young Squad Assault in a typical box, front flap, printed manual and cd in paper sleeve. Last purchase like this for me, was a retail shelf copy of GGWaW Gary Grigsby's World at War. Again, it had typical box, front flap, printed manual and cd in paper sleeve.

I am unsure of the cds though, if you ask me, they were made the way commercial cds always are. To look at mine, that's what appears to be the case.

But anyways, the box images you are focusing on, are just representative iconic images to my knowledge.

"Physical shipment", unless someone wishes to correct me, means you have purchased a digital download (which is not at all physical), that for an extra 10 bucks, comes with an actual physical copy mailed to you as well. Not in a box, but a dvd case. Likely with a jacket identical to the representative iconic web site image though.
As for the cd, if it is nothing more than a file burned to a cd, with a silk screened top I see no reason to be concerned myself personally. Some people do not possess a disc burner drive to burn their digital downloaded file. That, is to my knowledge, the only reason for buying the extra physical shipment.
It's not for the dvd case, complete with nice jacket, and pretty silk screened image (if you ask me).

Well at least, if you ask me, a dvd case, a jacket artwork and a silkscreened cd are not worth 10 bucks if you can burn the file to a disc yourself. And I can even do an ink jet printed cd and or dvd better than most properly professionally manufactured discs actually are, from a home personal computer.

Having personal knowledge of the Mega Campaigns (having them helps), I can tell you, they are just 266 megs approximate of data sitting inside of the Steel Panthers World at War install directory.
The core game itself, it's a free download after all.
Fully installed, The General's Edition is something like 1.43 gigs of total data. The Mega Campaigns are therefore just a small file folder inside that installation.

What makes the Mega Campaigns special (the only reason for buying the General's edition is after all to get the 4 Mega Campaigns), is they greatly expand your enjoyment of the core basic game, which is a free file remember.
Thus, the only thing you have bought, is the Mega Campaign folder really.
It's really just a convenience, that the core game file is included, after all, why not? Why waste the cd space not putting it on the cd with the Mega Campaigns?

Hmm now that I have beaten this post to death :)

Your copy of the General's Edition, will almost certainly mirror your example of the War in the Pacific as pictured.
That is basically what a "physical shipment" implies (to my knowledge).
They are not sitting on stocks of items made in advance of requests. I am sure they only burn those discs upon need.

Take all of the above input, on the basis of I could be wrong. But I am likely correct.

< Message edited by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -- 6/11/2006 10:04:06 AM >

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How looks the Steel Panthers WaW General's Edition? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI