Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real Names and Fake IDs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Real Names and Fake IDs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 5:10:16 AM   
KG Erwin

I see a few fakes here, and they are obvious. Hidden e-mails? Why? Alternate identities for the same person? Why?

What are you afraid of?

We pride ourselves in being an open community, and many of us are good friends. Frends don't spam, so that's a non-issue. What else could it be?

A cover for a troll? Nah, that isn't it, is it?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/8/2006 5:11:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 5:49:34 AM   
forgorin

Its called privacy.

Erwin. Just because you do somehtign does not mean that we all have to do so. I NEVER relese my information on the internet. My email address is junk because of spam. Now I am not saying that anyone here spams. It is just a rule that I dont break.

Now its not that I dont like you guys or misstrust you. I think you guys are a great bunch. You usually make newbes welcome and always ready with some advice (sometimes whether its wanted or not!)

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 6:23:14 AM   
KG Erwin

That's fine. At least you don't ridicule players and make outlandish pronouncements like that Tokyo Boy character.    That poor boy doesn't have a clue. I kinda feel sorry for him.

IF he had the guts to take me on in a PBEM, I'd wipe the floor with him. All talk, no walk. let's see this sad sack take on my US Marines. He's no man -- he's a child trying to punch his way out of a paper bag.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/8/2006 6:31:56 AM >

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 3
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 6:40:52 AM   
forgorin

Thats the sperit! Talk down to him. Het him good and mad!!!

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 7:20:51 AM   
azraelck

I keep a few (dozen) emails. A Gmail for attachments, yahoo for public, hotmail because I haven't the heart to dump it, and my private excite account. I usually forget which one I use for forums though, even thogu they all should be my yahoo. I don't care usually if people email me, because quite frankly unless I recognize the email it's going to the spam folder to be eaten by the imps of trash-mail. 

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 5
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 10:09:45 AM   
PimpYourAFV

Sounds like Erwin fell out of his rocking chair and swallowed a hairball again. As for having a dozen email accounts, that's a clear sign of lack of self-discipline. A lot of people have that problem just like the average number of bank accounts per person is about dozen as well, usually spread over 3 or 4 different banks. Smart people make one or two accounts and use them properly while the rest try to get 'sophisticated'.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 6
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 10:12:24 AM   
forgorin

Ya I know the feeling. I have 2 email address and 3 bank accounts. One just opened up and anothers to be closed soon. guess that makes me 2 for 2 eh!

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 7
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 4:53:06 PM   
TheDesertRat

Glenn, it’s all very simple, its called privacy and stops SPAM.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I see a few fakes here, and they are obvious. Hidden e-mails? Why? Alternate identities for the same person? Why?

What are you afraid of?

We pride ourselves in being an open community, and many of us are good friends. Frends don't spam, so that's a non-issue. What else could it be?

A cover for a troll? Nah, that isn't it, is it?

As you seem so concerned to the point of making off taste innuendos I would suggest you take this up with the owners of this Forum.

While you are at it see if they will take me off the list as well!!!!!
Nothing to do with post like yours, Crap!

By the way I don’t have PM access available either, I wonder why!!!

Good Bye!!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 8:52:14 PM   
Cyanide

I'm sorry, but is something going on here that I don't understand? Off-taste innuendos?

I have 2 emails, one Hotmail and one through my local cable internet provider. The one for the forum is the Hotmail. I don't post that much, but it seems a bit silly to make another account, unless you want to start at zero with your reputation and work up again.

(in reply to TheDesertRat)
Post #: 9
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/8/2006 9:50:03 PM   
Puukkoo

Or if somebody's been out for a long time and hasn't posted anything in months? I'm no fake.

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 10
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 12:34:11 AM   
FNG

I promised myself some time ago that I wouldn't let myself be drawn by any more of KG's sad little posts. However, I am but a frail mortal with many weaknesses. So:

KG, what is your problem? Do you actually have a life beyond these forums, where I presume that you think you are a hero of the common people and arbiter of all that is right and proper in the ways of SP:WaW? There are so many mature and decent folk on this forum, and you sure as hell are not one of them. I picture you as some sad wannabe tucked away in his inner sanctum, spanking the AI (like *that's* difficult) because it is the only place in your life where you are a winner rather than a weener. You keep throwing out troll-like statements every now and then, presumably because you feel that you are not getting enough attention. And I don't give a flying f*ck if you have got Wildbill's phone number (no offence Bill). Please grow up and get real. People do not always wish to parade their personal details on internet fora where they have no idea who could be browsing.

Real ID provided: Keyth Brooks

Does that make you feel better?

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 11
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 2:05:13 AM   
Svennemir

quote:

Hidden e-mails?

There is such a thing as crawlers, i.e. bots that browse the internet through links and collect strings that match email address syntax (there are 'good' crawlers as well which index pages for google and so on). If my email address is not visible then that's likely why, but even if it is visible it probably hasn't been updated with one I actually use anymore. This happens to be - in part - because of the large amount of spam that invariably reaches addresses which are made public on forums.

Also I lock my door not because I expect thieves but because it saves me the trouble of ever considering the problem.

< Message edited by Svennemir -- 6/9/2006 2:07:53 AM >

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 12
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 2:11:34 AM   
azraelck

It is vast amounts of spam that has caused me to go from one hotmail to the second, to yahoo. Excite has been my private email for years upon years; they had a free dialup service way back in the day that I used because AOL couldn't get online 98% of the time. The other 2% was when power was out. Road Runner mail is for EvilBay only, GMail I got because... well I don't remember when I got it or why. I'm sure there was a reason. My Hotmail is only there because it's a sad relic of the past; and there's one girl I like to chat with that doesn't use anything else but MSN. My Yahoo deals with everything else.

Thus, I have no spam in inboxes where people that count can send me messages; I can send massive attachments at will,

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 13
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 11:51:16 AM   
soldier

My name is stressfx at the blitz and depot sites. I registered here under that name years ago but your site wouldnt accept my password even the one i requested from you and kept telling me my email address and name was taken (by myself). I followed (matrix provided) procedure at another sticky thread to fix the problem but nothing worked. Hours of frustration later i took another name....
Good enough reason

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 14
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 12:19:20 PM   
PimpYourAFV

Well said FNG.

Just to appease the god of spam and bitterness (KG Erwin of course), I will post all of my personal info. Please do not abuse it or engage in identity theft. I trust the people of this forum with this info because you have all been so kind and positive minded.

Address: 4 chome 26 ban 11 ban
Hadakana Bijin
Bureimono #1705
Tokyo 353-0082 JAPAN

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 15
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 3:31:38 PM   
azraelck

Ok, I just finished mailing a "package"...

No, TBT, you aren't worth the effort. You only barely rate enough for the occasional snipe with the keyboard at best, not worth the effort to even write out your fake address.

Post #: 16
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 4:49:18 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

What's in a name?

Glenn is well known to the Steel Panthers community. But, aaaaaaaall this time, it could have been somebody else.
Only those that have met Glenn in real life actually know for sure who really exists behind his Matrix Games forum identity.

I suppose, right now I am creating a small fuss just showing up myself :) (thought your thread was better than just making one myself Glenn).

A few people actually know me, a smaller few have my address, I don't think I have ever actually physically met anyone of the Steel Panthers fraternity though.
But I am no one important.

My real full name is a small matter to locate. But I don't use it on forum handles. Why? I have nothing to hide, my real name is merely entirely ordinary and doesn't sound wargamerish.

Avatars are a lot of fun. I usually spend more energy getting an avatar that says something about me, than the actual nickname.

But "fake" is something we deal with all the time in real life off the internet. I'm not incapable of finding fake people living within walking distance of my home. So finding people hiding behind an internet account is really no actual shock.

The internet though, allows for the transfer of information in ways we can rarely predict or plan for. Just because I am in the phone buck, address and all, doesn't mean it's "available" conveniently. Because without a working last name, chances are you have nothing.
Even then, I personally don't live in fear of a nutcase appearing at my door. I'm simply not that interesting to be worth the effort. Besides, I'm the shoot first ask questions later sort :)

Currently, after some 15 years of having use of the internet, I only possess one example of one person I have met specifically through my computer, who means a significant amount to me.
All the rest, real or fake as the day is long, have been passing acquaintances, be they good or bad, that have in most cases, not gone beyond people I have never met, and to whom I could suffer the loss of, without any specific depression or regret.

So what's in a name.
Does it truely matter if I am an old grognard or a young pup?
Does it truely matter what I have said, or done, in the past or currently?
Does it actually matter in YOUR life?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 17
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 5:00:57 PM   
junk2drive

Good grief Les, you made me post.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 18
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 6:04:21 PM   
PimpYourAFV

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Good grief Les, you made me post.

If that's all you can come up with, why bother?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 19
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/9/2006 8:14:31 PM   
Alby

I think Gunnys original intention in starting this thread was that some here are also someone else.

not why people dont reveal email addresses and such

Post #: 20
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/10/2006 12:47:30 AM   
azraelck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

I think Gunnys original intention in starting this thread was that some here are also someone else.

not why people dont reveal email addresses and such

In that case I am also known as the Goddamned Batman. Not Batman, not Bat-man, or the Batman; but the Goddamned Batman. I have 30 plans each with 30 contengiency plans for not only my enemies but my friends as well, and at any time in I can know where anyone is. I built a satellite with an eloborate and heavily armed force of robots to police my friends, beat, torture, and maim anything without a care, allthough I won't kill humans. I've knocked up both Catwoman and the daughter of one of my deadliest enemies, and told Wonder Woman that she's got to improve a bit before I'll be willing to knock her up as well. I am vengance, I am the night... I am the Goddamned Batman!

;)

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 21
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/10/2006 1:01:28 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

In that case I am also known as the Goddamned Batman. Not Batman, not Bat-man, or the Batman; but the Goddamned Batman. I have 30 plans each with 30 contengiency plans for not only my enemies but my friends as well, and at any time in I can know where anyone is. I built a satellite with an eloborate and heavily armed force of robots to police my friends, beat, torture, and maim anything without a care, allthough I won't kill humans. I've knocked up both Catwoman and the daughter of one of my deadliest enemies, and told Wonder Woman that she's got to improve a bit before I'll be willing to knock her up as well. I am vengance, I am the night... I am the Goddamned Batman!

;)

Wow, are you Michael Keaton? Cool.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 22
RE: Real Names and Fake IDs - 6/10/2006 1:45:43 AM   
azraelck

No, Keaton randomly fired HMGs from his car into crowds of civilians as well as crooks. I'm the Frank Miller incarnation that's about to fight Osama binLaden.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Real Names and Fake IDs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI