Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arracourt and the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Arracourt and the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arracourt and the AI - 6/9/2006 5:45:07 AM   
jwarrenw13

Thanks Matrix and all involved for this game. I am 52 years old. I don't get excited about games. But I am excited about this. It is as if an old lover just knocked on my door. (Wait, I'm married, scratch that comparison, but you get my drift. )

One of my favorite short scenarios w/COW was Arracourt. Sometimes I would play that when I had just a few minutes. It is very simple to win for the US. Just take your reinforcements on the roads around the German right flank. You can get into their rear, take their two victory point cities there while also taking the city in the center of their position, and usually win easily. The AI reacts very poorly to this. Or did. And there are other ways to beat the Germans in Arracourt.

Tonight I bought TOAW3 and immediately played Arracourt just to see what how the AI would react in a simple scenario. I was able to make my flanking movement but found that the AI -- Elmer, I think it is called -- reacted quickly to my action, counterattacked, and gave me a tough fight. I still won a significant victory. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the agility of the AI.

So I kicked up the AI to computer +2. I tried my flanking movement. I found a German unit in a blocking position as I turned the flank. I have never seen that before. I fought through and took one of the cities in the rear, and the one in the center of their position, but was immediately met by a vicious counterattack. The Germans moved units quickly to defeat my units in their rear, and then retook the city in the center of their lines and then continued to attack. I barely hung on for a draw.

So I have quickly learned that things that worked in the past no longer work, and that the AI is quite a solid opponent. So every scenario, even one I've played many times, will be like a new scenario.

The new graphics, the new everything, all the scenarios, nice. Very nice.

And btw this is an early father's day present from my wife. She is not jealous of this particular old lover.

Well done.
Post #: 1
RE: Arracourt and the AI - 6/9/2006 7:33:58 AM   
Fred98

This sound good.  A kudos to the developers!

But ALL games are at their best played agaisnt a human.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 2
RE: Arracourt and the AI - 6/9/2006 5:11:22 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

This sound good.  A kudos to the developers!

But ALL games are at their best played agaisnt a human.

True. But some of us don't want to play against other humans. I am very glad for the improved AI.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 3
RE: Arracourt and the AI - 6/9/2006 10:09:35 PM   
Belisarios

Great AAR: short and to the point

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 4
RE: Arracourt and the AI - 6/10/2006 12:21:34 AM   
HMSWarspite

It's OK if an old lover knocks on your door...my wife is always going out without her keys!

Second your feelings about the game though.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 5
RE: Arracourt and the AI - 6/10/2006 3:58:03 AM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarios

Great AAR: short and to the point

I've heard those words before, but I think it was after an artep.

(in reply to Belisarios)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Arracourt and the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI