Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scenario strings, etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scenario strings, etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scenario ... - 6/13/2006 4:16:39 AM   
ralphtricky

The below talks about editing the english.dll file to change to European date format. A similar process is used to edit the two font files. You can also do similar things to edit all the strings in a scenario, just save the DLL as graphics/Scenario Name/Scenario Name.DLL. The French scenario is an extreme example of this.

It can actually be done now by using a resource editor, copying the English.DLL to EuroDate.DLL and changing string table entry 17 from MDY to DMY. You can also change string table entry 18 from a / to a . if you want a different date separator.

The following steps are required.
Download XNResource(http://www.btinternet.com/~wilsoncpw/xn_resourceeditor_setup.exe)
Run the setup program.
Run XNResource
Open c:\Matrix Game\The Operational Art of War III\English.DLL
Change the string table entry #17 from MDY to DMY
Change the string table entry #18 from / to .
Save the file as EuroDate.DLL
Close XNResource
Run TOAW
Select File/Choose Language and pick EuroDate.

< Message edited by ralphtrick -- 6/28/2006 1:28:08 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/15/2006 11:15:37 PM   
PDiFolco

Fine, works like a charm !
But the instructions have an hole : what should be edited are ID 17 and 18 of the 2nd entry of the String Table, not the 17-18th entries as I understood when I read you...

Anyway I think that just posting the file (attached zipped) is simpler ;) I've kept the "/" separator so I get D/M/Y format (usual here ... in France :)

And BTW how could one change the fonts ? I never liked the TOAW font ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 2
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/16/2006 7:28:37 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Fine, works like a charm !
But the instructions have an hole : what should be edited are ID 17 and 18 of the 2nd entry of the String Table, not the 17-18th entries as I understood when I read you...

Anyway I think that just posting the file (attached zipped) is simpler ;) I've kept the "/" separator so I get D/M/Y format (usual here ... in France :)

And BTW how could one change the fonts ? I never liked the TOAW font ...

Thanks!

The font is in the same file, you should follow the same instructions, but replace the font files.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 3
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/16/2006 8:58:29 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
The font is in the same file, you should follow the same instructions, but replace the font files.

Just done, thank you!

Post #: 4
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/17/2006 11:38:37 PM   
PDiFolco

There's 3 font entries in the editor - one "red", one "yellow", and one "blue". What are they for ? The modded fonts I got have 2 files only : toawfont and toawboldfont, which should be copied where ? 

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 5
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/28/2006 1:28:54 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

There's 3 font entries in the editor - one "red", one "yellow", and one "blue". What are they for ? The modded fonts I got have 2 files only : toawfont and toawboldfont, which should be copied where ?

What screen are those choices on?

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 6
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 6/28/2006 11:34:20 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

quote:

What screen are those choices on?

That's what I see in the Resource Editor, in the entries TOAGFONT, TOAPFONT and TOAGFONT under Bitmaps.
I supposed we have to change them here as the game doesn't properly uses external "fonts" bmp ?

Post #: 7
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 3/16/2007 9:13:14 PM   
Silvanski

Ralph, can you give some more info on your plans with the "opart 3 fonts.ini" ?
I've been playing around with it... trying out the pre-alpha with Arial Rounded MT Bold in highlighted mode gives good results for me... up till now no apparent glitches.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 8
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 3/21/2007 11:21:23 PM   
markoid

quote:

The below talks about editing the english.dll file to change to European date format. A similar process is used to edit the two font files. You can also do similar things to edit all the strings in a scenario, just save the DLL as graphics/Scenario Name/Scenario Name.DLL. The French scenario is an extreme example of this.

It can actually be done now by using a resource editor, copying the English.DLL to EuroDate.DLL and changing string table entry 17 from MDY to DMY. You can also change string table entry 18 from a / to a . if you want a different date separator.

The following steps are required.
Download XNResource(http://www.btinternet.com/~wilsoncpw/xn_resourceeditor_setup.exe)
Run the setup program.
Run XNResource
Open c:\Matrix Game\The Operational Art of War III\English.DLL
Change the string table entry #17 from MDY to DMY
Change the string table entry #18 from / to .
Save the file as EuroDate.DLL
Close XNResource
Run TOAW
Select File/Choose Language and pick EuroDate.

What about map fonts Ralph?

M

Post #: 9
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 3/22/2007 5:08:45 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: markoid

quote:

M

It's very similar to the way it's done for the surodate stuff, except that the changes are to the two font files.

That may change with the next release, though.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to try using alternate font files?

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 10
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 3/22/2007 11:19:54 PM   
markoid

Ralph,

I have issues with playing the game and being able to read the text late at night.  It is always useful to able to change fonts, text sizes etc.  I am involved in some work looking at IT and DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) issues.  Good to see that all though it is not built in, people have the ability to change the format - good job guys.

Oh yes, and it looks good on the AAR's! :)

Post #: 11
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 11/5/2007 1:05:10 AM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/5/2007 1:11:34 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 12
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 2/5/2008 10:31:12 AM   
L`zard

quote:

quote:

quote:

M

It's very similar to the way it's done for the surodate stuff, except that the changes are to the two font files.

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph;

Majorically in order to change the fonts for specific hexes........Capitals, etc; Would be useful in order to 'pick out' particular points of interest on the map.

Perhaps a post concerning the whole editing, naming process would be useful, ???

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Post #: 13
RE: How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scena... - 2/5/2008 8:06:15 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

quote:

quote:

quote:

M

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph;

Majorically in order to change the fonts for specific hexes........Capitals, etc; Would be useful in order to 'pick out' particular points of interest on the map...

Yeah -- hardly an imperative need, but this would be nice.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 2/5/2008 8:07:03 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> How to edit the TOAW font and date format and scenario strings, etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI