Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 4:16:41 AM   
Twotribes

The winter was especially hard on the area as the Soviets had burned and destroyed everything as they fled. The mice moved into the vehicles and destroyed the wiring inside them. It isnt a made up story. Enough people have commented on it with back up to make it not some fairy tale concocted to protect the germans. If anything it makes the germans look bad for such slip shod care of their vehicles.

(in reply to Tropsbor)
Post #: 31
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 5:24:48 AM   
azraelck

Seems to me, for both Romania and Poland as well (I have a book, written by the 4th Panzer Army's Chief Staff Officer, that notes the courage and determination of the poles, and the intellectual lack of their commanders. In it, he even mentions Polish Calvary assaulting tanks with drawn sabers) is to have good morale for the troops but poor leaders' morale and experience.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 32
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 6:22:33 AM   
Orzel Bialy

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

Seems to me, for both Romania and Poland as well (I have a book, written by the 4th Panzer Army's Chief Staff Officer, that notes the courage and determination of the poles, and the intellectual lack of their commanders. In it, he even mentions Polish Calvary assaulting tanks with drawn sabers) is to have good morale for the troops but poor leaders' morale and experience.

Except that "charge" never happened against tanks in reality.

What that was is just a re-telling of a myth that was started by the Germans to invoke the idea of Polish officers being ingorant...and given some measure of validity by some Poles who surprisingly embraced the story (regardless of it's being made up) as a symbol of their bravery against overwhelming odds.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 33
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 6:45:48 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tropsbor

Also I don't see any reason for you to compare the Finnish and Romanian armies. The conditions in which they fought were quite different. For example major operations ceased in the north between late 1941 and mid 1944. This in turn allowed the Finns to be in a much better shape in time for the Soviet offensive. On the other side the Romanian armies at Stalingrad had been fighting for 2 years without break and it was very hard to supply reinforcements over a 2,000 km distance. The Finns benefited from much shorter supply routes. Also the fights in the north didn't reach the same intensity as in the south. And you think the Romanian armies at Stalingrad were not overwhelmed? 3rd Rom. Army, 4th Rom. Army versus 1st Guard Army, 5th Tank Army, 21st Army, 51st Army, 62nd Army, 63rd Army and 57th Army totalling over 1,000,000 men, 1,300 tanks, 11,000 artillery pieces and over 800 airplanes. And bear in mind that the Romanian armies had to cover over 438 kilometers of frontline, hence the low density of the heavy AT guns (in average one heavy AT gun per every 4.23 kilometer)! The 8th Cavalry division found itself covering 100 km of the front...

If you don't find any reasons to compare the Finnish and Romanian armies, then don't do that.

First of all, the German commander may refer either one Finnish Army Corps that was under German command between 1941-44 in northern Finland or one Finnish SS-Battalion between 1941-43 in Army Group South's Wiking Division. Hard to compare Northern Finland and Stalingrad or one Battalion and three Armies.

There were no Germans in Isthmus of Karelia or northern side of lake Ladoga/Laatokka when the Soviet offensive started, so they naturally have nothing to say about it. (In Isthmus of Karelia - Soviet main offensive - Soviets had 300-400 artillery pieces per frontline kilometer, in Stalingrad they had 200 pieces. The barrage was hardest so far in military history, and still the first assaults were stopped with thin line of defence - three Divisions and one Brigade. The break happened next day when three Guards Divisions attacked against one Regiment.)

Defend the Romanian ratings and you'll have many to support you. But when you start to claim that "we fought better than you" you'll end up in nothing.

And sorry, nothing personal...

(in reply to Tropsbor)
Post #: 34
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 8:56:03 AM   
serg3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V
(In Isthmus of Karelia - Soviet main offensive - Soviets had 300-400 artillery pieces per frontline kilometer, in Stalingrad they had 200 pieces. The barrage was hardest so far in military history, and still the first assaults were stopped with thin line of defence - three Divisions and one Brigade. The break happened next day when three Guards Divisions attacked against one Regiment.)

Actually, I think it's a very good luck for Europe and Russia that Finland is a small country and does not seem have too much interest in expanding it's borders. Though Nokia and Linux make me doubt if Finns really abandoned the idea of world domination.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 35
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 10:06:54 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: serg3d

Actually, I think it's a very good luck for Europe and Russia that Finland is a small country and does not seem have too much interest in expanding it's borders. Though Nokia and Linux make me doubt if Finns really abandoned the idea of world domination.

Lol!

Actually Finns DID occupy Moscow! ...at 1610

We have plans for your future...

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 36
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 1:31:01 PM   
Puukkoo

There were alredy some Finns as the lifeguards of the Byzantine Emperor.

Sergei hits the spot with Linux and Nokia, but there's certainly worse to come because hell is already frozen with our win in the certain song contest.

Post #: 37
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 7:45:37 PM   
azraelck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

What that was is just a re-telling of a myth that was started by the Germans to invoke the idea of Polish officers being ingorant...and given some measure of validity by some Poles who surprisingly embraced the story (regardless of it's being made up) as a symbol of their bravery against overwhelming odds.

It's kinda odd that multiple sources, including those by american writers as well as german accounts; would have the exact same event mentioned. Every book I have read that has something on the invasion of Poland in 1939 has mentioned a calvary charge against tanks. In addition, I believe I've even found some stuff on the internet the also mentions the Polish charge as well.

Where is your evidence for the charge being mere propganda (propoganda that makes no sense and has no purpose)? I tend to believe accounts from sources such as a German chief of staff and Reader's Digest, as well as individual troop histories and official histories of various nations; rather than a flat statement with no mentioned sources or links to back it up.

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 38
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 8:23:03 PM   
serg3d

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

It's kinda odd that multiple sources, including those by american writers as well as german accounts; would have the exact same event mentioned. Every book I have read that has something on the invasion of Poland in 1939 has mentioned a calvary charge against tanks. In addition, I believe I've even found some stuff on the internet the also mentions the Polish charge as well.

I don't remember the source, but I've read it was some kind of misunderstanding. The cavalry were retreating and run into German tanks, who thought they were attacked.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 39
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/14/2006 11:30:21 PM   
azraelck

I can accept that as more likely than mere propoganda by the Germans. Propoganda makes no sense, a misunderstanding of the situation in the midst of combat does. I still would like a source though. If nothing else, I love to read. 

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 40
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 12:47:12 AM   
Mac67

I believe the myth of the Polish cavalry charge against panzers was started by a scene shown in the Polish movie Lotna in 1959. The movie centres around a Polish cavalry squadron and a cursed horse, the "Lotna" of the title. The movie aroused a lot of debate and objections due to the scene where the Poles charge the panzers, as it was claimed that the director was being unfaithful to the truth. For details see http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/classroom/cinema/lotna.html

Attachment (1)

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 41
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 1:22:16 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

This is what happened. The Polish army was retrearing and the Calvary was sent to slow down german infantry. After the Polish slowed down the infantry the Polish army got further away. the next day Italian reports came and seen polish calvary and German tanks which came thta morning coming ot the conclusoon that the Poles charged German Panzers. It was than used a propoganda both by Germans and Russians hence the Polish army didnt have large amounts of their officers in their army.

Just read this bloody book
Steven J Zaloga (1982). Polish Army, 1939-1945, 9-10, Osprey Publishing.

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 42
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 1:23:44 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Or you can go to wikipedia for a difference story but similair. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cavalry#Cavalry_Charges_and_Propaganda.

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 43
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 1:27:48 AM   
Mac67

Did some more digging around on the net and found out this :- Apparently the myth of the calvary charge was started by Italian correspondents on the Pomeranian front, following the events of a sabre charge by the Polish Cavalry against a German Infantry Battalion. The charge was completly sucessful, but as the Cavalry troops were re-forming, a few German armoured cars equipped with automatic 20mm cannon and machine guns happened on the scene and immediately began firing. The Poles were completely exposed, and began to gallop for cover behind a nearby hillock. The commander and his immediate staff were all killed, and the losses were terrible. The grim evidence of this encounter was discovered the following day by Italian war correspondents, who were told by German soldiers that it resulted from the cavalry having charged tanks and so the legend began. The report by the Italians was later used as propaganda by the Germans. Details here - http://www.shotinthedark.info/archives/006381.html It would explain why the scene in Lotna was so controversial to the Poles. So there you go, mystery solved! Do i get a scoobie snack?

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 44
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 1:29:12 AM   
Mac67

Damn, Gunter beat me too it! No scoobie snack for me

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 45
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 2:33:03 AM   
azraelck

*Tosses scooby snack to all who replied with links*

Thanks, it still seems odd that the Germans would have extolled a fake charge against tanks in their propoganda; to me that would just indicate an inordinate amount of courage and tenacity in the ranks of the Polish Lancers. Regardless, use of such an outdated tactic, with equally outdated weaponry, in the face of a modern army required just as much courage to undertake.

thanks for the links, it's good to see that there are those who can back up their statements with proof.

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 46
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 5:33:27 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

Thanks, it still seems odd that the Germans would have extolled a fake charge against tanks in their propoganda; to me that would just indicate an inordinate amount of courage and tenacity in the ranks of the Polish Lancers. Regardless, use of such an outdated tactic, with equally outdated weaponry, in the face of a modern army required just as much courage to undertake.

I see it very clever use of propaganda. Purposes:

-Polish are extremely brave soldiers + we won = We are even braver!
-Polish have horses + we have tanks = We are simply the best, better than all the rest, better than anyone!

Yes, the logical thing would be to think that a cavalry charging against tanks is braver than croup of tanks. But human won't act logically.

When you hear that hopeless attempt, you'll have to admire the enemy. And later on, when you'll hear their surrender, you'll see your boys on a parade even shinier and the most admirable creatures ever.

Same works in football. It's not wise to blackmail the opponent before the match. No glory on winning the losers. But when you praise your second-class opponent before the match, you'll get at least some glory by winning them. Propaganda.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 47
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 2:36:59 PM   
soldier

I agree, Its actually a clever use of propaganda to emphasize the power of their tanks to the rest of the world. I think sometimes photos of destroyed Polish positions were acredited to the panzers when it actually looks more like German artillery was the real culprit. This is just a theory though.
It is interesting that the conquests of the blitzkrieg era were carried out by Pz 1's and 2's and "borrowed" czech tanks when the allies actually had heavier machines at their disposal.

Post #: 48
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/15/2006 10:15:01 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

The Soviets used the propoganda as a reason to limit Polish officers in the Polish army, or so claim my family members that servered in the Polish army after WWII.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 49
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/16/2006 6:13:47 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

Seems to me, for both Romania and Poland as well (I have a book, written by the 4th Panzer Army's Chief Staff Officer, ....... In it, he even mentions Polish Calvary assaulting tanks with drawn sabers)

Was this claimed to have occured on September 3rd, north of Schwetz and west of Graudenz; an attack by the Pomorska Cavalry Brigade?

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 50
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/16/2006 8:58:34 AM   
azraelck

While I've not the book in front of me, (and I'm well into the Battle of Kursk at the moment anyways), I do not believe he even mentions a time, place, or any unit designations; outside of a brief mention of calvary with drawn sabers charging Panzers of his force. As it was in the chapter dealing with the Polish Campaign; one would naturally assume that it was a Polish formation.

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 51
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/16/2006 9:42:07 AM   
Orzel Bialy

quote:

Was this claimed to have occured on September 3rd, north of Schwetz and west of Graudenz; an attack by the Pomorska Cavalry Brigade?

My primary source ( Steven Zaloga's "The Polish Campaign 1939" ) does not state specifically which day in writing...but the section the charge is referred to has mainly to do with the battles taking place on Sept 1.

In the book it states:
...The Poles were unaware that the Brda had been crossed. In the early evening, an incident occurred which has shaped the popular image of the September Campaign more than any other. The 18th Lancer Regiment and a company of tankettes of the 81st Armored Troop were holding the northernmost Polish positions near Chojnice while the remainder of the Pomorska Cavalry Brigade withdrew southward from Brusy. Day long fighting with the German 20th Motorized Division had caused severe losses, but attempts by the regimental commander to obtain permission to withdraw to more favorable defensive positions across the Brda were denied. In the late afternoon, the regimental commander, Colonel Kazimierz Mastelarz, decided to mount half his force, amounting to two depleted line squadrons, and attempt to swing around the German infantry positions and hit them from the rear. None of the tankettes were taken as they were in poor mechanical shape. Around 1900, the two squadrons located a German infantry battalion in a forest clearing. Having the advantage of surprise, Mastelarz decided on a mounted saber charge. Galloping out of the forest, the squadrons wiped out the German formation, but in the meantime, several armored cars happened on the scene and began opening fire on the mounted troops with automatic cannon fire. About 20 troopers, including the regimental commander, were killed before the squadrons could withdraw behind a nearby hillock. Italian war correspondents who visited the scene the following day were told that the troopers had been killed while charging tanks. The story, more embellished with every telling, became a continual source of German propoganda."

Additional reading about the mythical charge against tanks can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Krojanty and here: http://www.panzerworld.net/fallweiss.html and here: http://www.panzerworld.net/fallweiss.html

< Message edited by Orzel Bialy -- 6/16/2006 9:52:12 AM >

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 52
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/16/2006 11:44:27 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

That does not state once a charge on panzers or any armour of the Germans.

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 53
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 1:42:14 AM   
azraelck

The point being that such a charge didn't occur. A charge against infantry formations did occur, with German Panzers attacking afterwards before the calvary could reform. 

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 54
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 4:06:41 AM   
m10bob

look here guys:

http://www.panzerworld.net/fallweiss.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/battle-of-krojanty
http://www.answers.com/topic/polish-cavalry
http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/classroom/cinema/rzepinski.html
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Polish_cavalry
http://www.cavhooah.com/polish.htm
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-2451.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=1006051913226
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/cavalry-lasts.htm

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 55
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 7:07:40 AM   
Whitmire

quote:

(In Isthmus of Karelia - Soviet main offensive - Soviets had 300-400 artillery pieces per frontline kilometer, in Stalingrad they had 200 pieces. The barrage was hardest so far in military history, and still the first assaults were stopped with thin line of defence - three Divisions and one Brigade. The break happened next day when three Guards Divisions attacked against one Regiment.)

When the battle of Tali-Ihantala started, the Soviets had 10 pieces of artillery per 100 meters of the Karelian Isthmus. That's one piece per 10 meters! Finnish artillery was outmatched 20:1, and the Soviets had total air superiority with 400 bombers and 600 fighters. But still the Finns won a decisive victory, and it's said that the battle was won with artillery (yeah, the artillery that was outmatched 20:1)... That's just unbelievable.

If you know anything about the battles on the Isthmus, you can hardly say that there was no concentration of fighting on the Northern Front! As to the length of the frontline to be held, the Finns had over a thousand kilometers, three or four times the 438 kilometers... Don't forget that Finland is bigger than modern Germany, yet has a population of only 5,000,000 people. So it was quite a stretch for such a small army.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 56
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 12:46:37 PM   
Puukkoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whitmire

quote:

When the battle of Tali-Ihantala started, the Soviets had 10 pieces of artillery per 100 meters of the Karelian Isthmus. That's one piece per 10 meters! Finnish artillery was outmatched 20:1, and the Soviets had total air superiority with 400 bombers and 600 fighters. But still the Finns won a decisive victory, and it's said that the battle was won with artillery (yeah, the artillery that was outmatched 20:1)... That's just unbelievable.

If you know anything about the battles on the Isthmus, you can hardly say that there was no concentration of fighting on the Northern Front! As to the length of the frontline to be held, the Finns had over a thousand kilometers, three or four times the 438 kilometers... Don't forget that Finland is bigger than modern Germany, yet has a population of only 5,000,000 people. So it was quite a stretch for such a small army.

Hmmh... Sounds a bit too glorious. Russians did remove some of their forces from the Isthmus when they had taken Viipuri.

< Message edited by Puukkoo -- 6/17/2006 12:47:00 PM >

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 57
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 1:54:28 PM   
Whitmire

Those statistics are not for the capture of Viipuri on June 20, but for the battle of Tali-Ihantala starting some six days later. Wikipedia repeats the same numbers almost to the word, but then it's just Wiki. You may dispute the sources as much you like, after all this is what history is about, but don't forget that all sources are open to debate - including those concerning Romania cited here.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 58
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/17/2006 7:43:21 PM   
Riun T

WOW, I can't believe it, A thread has past some useful information,been a wounderful debate,had more than 3 members involved with more than 3 replys that have'nt showed any biases or personal remarks or been monopolized by unrelated reteric or blasphomy....!!!!! CAN"T SAY I MISS TBT !!!! RIO TANGO OUT!!

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 59
RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic - 6/18/2006 7:35:15 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Oh in that case you can give us all scooby snacks.

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Romania's national characteristics are unrealistic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI