Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Folly for years

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Folly for years Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Folly for years - 7/18/2000 5:47:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

I have played the different kinds of Steel Panthers for years and find them great. But one thing that has never changed in my playing since the day I started is that I play with command control off. The new SPWAW feels like such a realistic game that I don't want to "cheat" anymore. But it's not easy just to switch over and press the control command button on after so many games and years. Can anyone tell me more about how things work out with the command control on, and how one should think when buying troops for a generated battle or a self made scenario. There are lots of things I guess.

Attacking is the best of all defences.
Post #: 1
- 7/18/2000 7:04:00 PM   
Fredde

For me, playing with command and control on definately makes for a more interesting and challenging game with more realistic use of officers and leaders. A few small advice: 1. Make good use of formation objectives. When moving towards an objective you don't have to spend valuable orders for a movement order. 2. Keep your formations together. This is very important, and even more important with units lacking a radio. Some, less skilled, units may require eye contact or stay close to the leader of the formation even with a radio to be in command. 3. Make sure units won't be left behind. If they don't have a proper objective set you will have to return with the formation leader to order them forward. 4. Adjust your play to the leaders performance. A formation leader with very few orders to give have to be played in a bit more rigid and static way then one with a lot of orders to spend. If you need to render one of these formations more moveable and flexible, consider sending its company leader or maybe even the A0 along to get more orders. [This message has been edited by Fredde (edited July 18, 2000).]

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Michael Wermelin)
Post #: 2
- 7/18/2000 7:08:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

Thanks! I shall try this evening and be sure to write down your hints. Looking forward to a more interesting side of the game.

Post #: 3
- 7/19/2000 7:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

And much more realistic and challenging, Michael. Some designed scenarios require that C&C not be used due to unit dispersal (paratroopers, etc), but the designer mentions that fact in his intro file to the scenario. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 4
- 7/19/2000 12:57:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

Yesterday I started designing my hypothetical scenario "Fortress Europa" it will take a while to finish and before I let it out for everyone I will make sure it is properly tested. It will probably not fit well with the command and control options since there will be a lot of reinforcements in form of paratroopers and infiltrators. By the way, has anyone got a map of the regions south of Calais, Boulogne-de-Mer? A suitable place for the allies to smash Hitlers Atlantic Wall, his Fortress Europe.

Post #: 5
- 7/21/2000 2:52:00 AM   
Per-Anders Westin

Like Michael I have played the different kinds of SP for years, but has never played with command and control on. Now I have some questions about command and control: 1. In the manual (v2.2 p60) there is a list with costs for actions and in two of the actions it says "Change mission". Is this the same as change unit stance? 2. Is it possible to change movment objective for a single squad(unit)? The reson I ask is that the text that come up when you point at the button to set movment objective says "Set Objective for unit or whole formation". Michael, I hope you will give me the honor to be the first to playtest your "Fortress Europa" scenario. /P-A

Post #: 6
- 7/21/2000 6:38:00 AM   
Tombstone

Playing large infantry battles puts C&C to it's maximum test. On the first turn I try to give all my offensive formations an attack objective, and all my defensive formations a rally objective(some common location to run off to if things get ugly.) The trick is... unless your guys have really high radio ratings, you have to get your guys together if you want to change objectives. I tend to keep my hq unit behind the rest so that he can move up to put uncooperative units back into command, because if a HQ unit can get adjacent to another unit in its formation then that unit (usually) is immediately 'in command' What I really like about the C&C option is that you feel like you're sending groups of units on 'missions' that contribute toward overall victory. After a while you think a lot differently with regards to your force. I wouldn't mind if more optional features were added to C&C to promote better planning and organization and punish the lack thereof. Tomo

Post #: 7
- 7/21/2000 1:28:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

Yesterday I did a serious try with the OOB-editor and there are still in v 2.3 some strange things. For example, the "sigfried-kinds" of fortifications don't exist in the unit purchase screen. In the encyklopedia and in the OOB editor they seem to be available from dec -43 and forward, but not in any year are they available, not even when building your own scenario. To get what I wanted I copied most of the data from a coastal gun that also is missing in the game and replaced one of the many kinds of MG-bunkers with new eq. and values. Hope this will work. The guns may only be able to fire direct fire but that is no problem in my "Festung Europa". And yes, Per-Anders, you will be the first next to myself to try it out, if you wish.

Post #: 8
- 7/22/2000 8:56:00 AM   
jsaurman

Sometimes when building your own scenerios, you have to set the year to 1949, buy what you need (coastal guns, etc.), then set the year back to what it should be (1942 or whatever). I don't know why this is, but it is. Adopt, adapt, improve. JIM

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Folly for years Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI