Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movement class, how derived?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Movement class, how derived? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movement class, how derived? - 6/19/2006 3:41:19 AM   
Captain Cruft

The manual is not clear on this.

I am not talking about the numerical Movement Allowance, since the manual states that this is somehow derived from equipment that the unit has. Indeed I have seen that otherwise identical infantry units with more trucks get slightly more MPs. What I am referring to is the movement class as shown on the Unit Report. This can be one of Invalid, Very Slow, Foot, Mixed or Motorised, or at least those are the ones I have seen so far.

Is this derived from the unit counter (icon?) Or, again, is it some function of the unit's equipment? I was assuming it was counter-based but then I noticed that some HQ units were mixed and some motorised. That's HQ counters not the "flag HQ" counters BTW.
Post #: 1
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/19/2006 12:18:28 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

Is this derived from the unit counter (icon?) Or, again, is it some function of the unit's equipment? I was assuming it was counter-based but then I noticed that some HQ units were mixed and some motorised. That's HQ counters not the "flag HQ" counters BTW.

With the exception of "invalid", which is afforded to fixed and coastal artillery units, this particular attribute is equipment based. Essentially the more motor vehicles you add, the more a unit shifts from foot, to mixed, to motorised movement. "Very slow" is assigned to any unit with equipment which "requires transport" but which does not have any transport. Note that for some reason cavalry can be used as transport.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 2
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/19/2006 6:07:02 PM   
Captain Cruft

I see, excellent. The more I understand of the logic of this game the more I like it. Perhaps I shall go and mess around with the scenario editor to see just how many trucks you need to change your movement class ...

So the counter is only relevant for special movement capabilities e.g. ski, bicycle, airborne etc.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/19/2006 8:44:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

So the counter is only relevant for special movement capabilities e.g. ski, bicycle, airborne etc.

Yeah. Most counters don't do anything at all. "Armoured Antitank" is the same as "Cavalry Heavy Weapons" as far as the game is concerned.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 4
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/19/2006 8:47:08 PM   
Chuck2

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Yeah. Most counters don't do anything at all. "Armoured Antitank" is the same as "Cavalry Heavy Weapons" as far as the game is concerned.

Not quite true. The PO uses the icon for making decisions.

Post #: 5
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/20/2006 1:17:12 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck2

Where did you read that?

Anyway, that seems problematic. With the non-functional counters (i.e., not artillery or HQs) you get quite a range of capabilities depending on the composition. Will the PO ignore the differences between an infantry regiment circa 1914 and circa 1944?

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Chuck2)
Post #: 6
RE: Movement class, how derived? - 6/20/2006 2:59:11 AM   
Chuck2

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck2

Where did you read that?

It came up in beta.

quote:

Anyway, that seems problematic. With the non-functional counters (i.e., not artillery or HQs) you get quite a range of capabilities depending on the composition. Will the PO ignore the differences between an infantry regiment circa 1914 and circa 1944?

Don't know.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Movement class, how derived? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI