Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why not aquire Squad Leader

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why not aquire Squad Leader Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 3:31:09 AM   
bobwalt

As long as Matrix is aquiring old computer games perhaps they could aquire the rights to Squad Leader or Thrid Reich and do it right. Also what about the V for Victory DOS series. I've always liked the subject matter of V for Victory: Velikiye Luki.

Bob
Post #: 1
RE: Why not acquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 3:45:28 AM   
bobwalt

And if they could do a conversion of AH's Victory in the Pacific it would be great as it would be so much more accessible than most of the games currently produced and it is fun to play.

Bob

(in reply to bobwalt)
Post #: 2
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 5:58:45 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobwalt

As long as Matrix is aquiring old computer games perhaps they could aquire the rights to Squad Leader or Thrid Reich and do it right. Also what about the V for Victory DOS series. I've always liked the subject matter of V for Victory: Velikiye Luki.

Bob

Don't really need V for Victory when they have Campaign Series IMO. CoI is their SL title; better to focus on it rather than acquiring something new. As for Thjird Reich, I actually think WWII grand strategy is over saturated right now with at least 2 major recent releases and still more coming. If I did try to acquire an old game in that space though, it would be Clash of Steel. Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to bobwalt)
Post #: 3
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 7:10:11 AM   
Hertston

Paradox (of Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron fame) has the rights to Squad Leader, and the game is in development.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 4
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 4:17:10 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The only way anyone can make Squad Leader (the abomination) into a game anyone would want, is for them to utterly and completely change everything the game originally was.

Or in otherwords, scrap the program, keep the name, and start all over again. The only thing Paradox bought that had any value, was the name.

I sure don't wish to curse Matrix Games with making that garbage a worthwhile program.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 6:03:57 PM   
wodin

Les,

I think he was talking about the boardgame NOT the Microprose effort.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 6
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 6:08:13 PM   
Brady

I thought Squad Leader and or ASL, was now owned by MMP (Multi Man Productions?) or something....?

But Ya if they could actualy convert it to a PC game in some way, even if it was only playable aganst a PBEM aponet it would be very cool indead.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 6:49:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady
I thought Squad Leader and or ASL, was now owned by MMP (Multi Man Productions?) or something....?

Yep, MMP owns the board game rights now. Paradox has the computer game rights.

quote:

But Ya if they could actualy convert it to a PC game in some way, even if it was only playable aganst a PBEM aponet it would be very cool indead.

Have you checked out VASL?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 8
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 6:55:33 PM   
mlees

I owned the SL boardgame in the early eighties.

What a rules book monster.

The thickness of the rulebook just about took the fun out of playing with the counters.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 7:12:33 PM   
Brady

"Have you checked out VASL?"

I did some time ago, like a couple years ago, but found it clunkey, but again that was some time ago, and It may warent looking at again.

I tend to think of Sl and ASL, as that girl of my dreams, That game was just so freking consuming and wounderfully complex and , well...Beautifull, WiTP is almost as good, but for me ASL is still the best of the best, perhaps it's the nestalga of it, my first realy good War Game love, certainly their were games before it, Flatop, Toykio Express, Panzer Leader, but Sl and ASL Man they were good. My hope is to find one day a PC game that is as well done. The scale and detail and the realistic feal of ASL is for me absent from most PC games in one way or another.

I ran through several ASL gaming partners over the years playing that game, my Dad gave up after lossing to many games to me, then our Wine Maker took me on and that lasted for a couple years, he kicked my ass, then Thier was a couple High School/Collage budies of mine for a few years, we had some great games I still remember many with great clarity. The long hours the tantrums the dice throwing, dont drink and War Game folks It used to drive our girlfriends crazey, they colectively refered to it as : "That Dam Game"....

The Rule Book, it was just know as "The Book", or the "Bibble", you cant do that,! was always followed by.."Do you Want me to look it up?"....

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 10
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 10:27:39 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have ASL (98% of it too) even the rare as sin stuff (well from the core products that is).

Anyway, I recall the Microprose abomination, came close to buying it (man that was lucky). The name on the box was where it ended, the left cheek of my butt has more in common with Squad Leader than that computer tragedy.

Paradox bought the rights, but god alone knows why. For starters, "fixing" that piece of worthless programming is likely impossible.

But it's also quite pointless, as anyone that has the Close Combat, and or Combat Mission, and or Squad Battles, and or Campaign Series, and or Steel Panthers games can make more than apparent.

Anyone taking the time, and effort, to directly port to computer ASL, should be laughed at as an idiot, when you consider the above list, and how they did it, did it well, and did it a long time ago.

Now on the subject of ASL the board game, and MMP. Well, if you visit SZO, you can likely find out aaaaaaaall about my thoughts on THAT matter :) (not going to flog another company here right now though, when I do such a good job there already hehe).

VASL (a variant use of the VASSAL program), is really the only logical way to play genuine ASL (you can also use VASSAL for genuine SL as well) on the computer. A person would be wasting there time porting to computer Squad Leader for this reason as well.
Downside for ASL, VASL assumes you already own ASL (price tag for ASL will make your heart falter).
Upside for Squad Leader though, it's not to hard to find reasonable priced used copies of Squad Leader though (finding the boards might be a bit rough, ASLers still want those).

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 11
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/21/2006 10:44:21 PM   
pvthudson01

Yeah that first Squad Leader game was terrible. I actually got a free copy to review on a gaming site I once ran and my oh my was it bad

Matrix Member since 2003!

Post #: 12
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/22/2006 12:28:59 AM   
wodin

I thought Paradox were going to maker a new Squad Leader game based on the boardgame NOT the miroprose effort?

Anyway MATRIX MISSED OUT big time here  in my humble opinion.

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 13
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/22/2006 12:59:57 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Paradox bought the rights, but god alone knows why. For starters, "fixing" that piece of worthless programming is likely impossible.

Wodin is right, Paradox didn't buy the rights to that particular code, they bought the rights to produce a "Squad Leader" computer game. They are developing a totally new game, with no connection to the Microprose effort.

quote:

But it's also quite pointless, as anyone that has the Close Combat, and or Combat Mission, and or Squad Battles, and or Campaign Series, and or Steel Panthers games can make more than apparent.

As its a new game, we have no idea whether its 'pointless' or not until we play it. My hopes are not high.. but who knows?

Post #: 14
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/22/2006 4:31:49 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm, to be honest, I'm glad I'm wrong if you're right on that "code" bit.

I never want that Microprose filth to see the light of day again.

I'm not interested in Paradox though, and I can assure you, if THEIR idea actually is worth buying, I'll be plenty shocked. But even as much as I don't like Paradox, even THEY couldn't make as worthless a game as the Microprose first horrid example (and that says something coming from me).

I still maintain though, if it isn't literally Squad Leader ie pushing 2d counters on a hex grid map in a turn based design, what will be the point of calling it "Squad Leader" (other than soiling the name).

Up Front is a great board game, it borrowed heavily from the Squad Leader design, but they didn't call it the "Squad Leader Card Game" either, they gave it its own name.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/22/2006 9:31:37 AM   
Plodder

Someone is making computer ASL its called JASL,it's not too bad neither, don't think he's got the full vehicle rules yet but I haven't checked it out for a while...

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Post #: 16
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/22/2006 2:56:36 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Someone is making computer ASL its called JASL,it's not too bad neither, don't think he's got the full vehicle rules yet but I haven't checked it out for a while...

I hope he has more luck actually using a finished product, than was given to the effort to port to computer the Up Front game.

It seems the second anything SL/ASL is mentioned, the owners get it in their head they deserve to scoop most of the profit.
Either that, or you get bashed over the head about the "rights" and your effort ends up in ruins.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 17
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/23/2006 12:49:17 PM   
Plodder

Lars is strictly doing it for fun, I think he's even been allowed to use the VASL counters and boards, so no money is involved..

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Post #: 18
RE: Why not aquire Squad Leader - 6/23/2006 4:38:13 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Lars is strictly doing it for fun, I think he's even been allowed to use the VASL counters and boards, so no money is involved..

Ah the ole "I was just doing it for fun" line hehe.

I've got a couple of notions I would like to indulge as well. But, everytime you so much as hint at replacing usurping or in any fashion making it so your effort eclipses the right of MMP to be all things ASL, you get yourself thrown into a firestorm of attack.

Which is possibly why I am still merely "contemplating" and not actually "doing" much with my notion.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why not aquire Squad Leader Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI