Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Guns Of August Screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> New Guns Of August Screenshots Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:40:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi all,

Please keep in mind we are still in beta and these screens are not final, but you asked for a peek, so here it is.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:40:43 AM   
Erik Rutins

A few more to go...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:41:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

More coming...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 3
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:41:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

I bet you were all wondering about Bulgaria...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 4
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:42:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

An overview shot...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 5
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:43:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

Dread nought!

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:43:58 AM   
Erik Rutins

We can build a better gun...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 7
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:44:29 AM   
Erik Rutins

And finally, the flyboys...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 8
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:44:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

Well, I hope these whet your appetite a bit. Feel free to discuss and ask questions!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 8:24:02 AM   
diesel7013

Just like to say that I CAN NOT WAIT!

? - how is the naval war modeled?  Does a German victory over Britian at sea reduce supply? ( Like it would happen  )
How about the air war?  What does it accomplish ( search, intel, ground support, terror bombing? )

Thanks!

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers

Post #: 10
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 4:39:40 PM   
Capitaine

The screens look pretty good to me, and the quality of the map art appears high. Judging from the information displayed it would appear that the game system accounts for a lot of details I would deem necessary and appropriate to WWI.

A couple of deficiencies strike me initially: (1) Counters: The basic, "typewriter" style font used for the text looks pretty weak. Something maybe a bit more substantial, and also adjust the text positioning as some of the numbers on the bottom of the units appear to be cut off. I also don't care for the "soldier art" on the shots here (and the ones in the earlier screens). The art quality of these images is too inconsistent across the board, and if this sort of depiction is desired I'd have another go at a different, more screen-friendly style. And I would prefer an option, at least, for military symbols only such as what is used for the HQ units already shown (which look good).

(2) I'm a little disappointed not to see actual depiction of rail lines on the map -- even though the scale is fairly strategic -- because in this war advances were tied to viable rail lines and they were not so prevalent as to be deemed present in every hex on the map, especially in the east. Railroads are also some of the chrome I look for in WWI strategy games, so I consider it highly important to my impression of a game on the subject. N.B. I can see the game accounts for RR's abstractly, so kudos for that; I just like to see the actual "major" rail lines at this scale.

(in reply to diesel7013)
Post #: 11
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 5:56:25 PM   
Brady

Airships?,Stratigic use of?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 12
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 6:08:32 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

The screens look pretty good to me, and the quality of the map art appears high....

A couple of deficiencies strike me initially: (1) Counters: The basic, "typewriter" style font used for the text looks pretty weak. Something maybe a bit more substantial, and also adjust the text positioning as some of the numbers on the bottom of the units appear to be cut off. I also don't care for the "soldier art" on the shots here (and the ones in the earlier screens). The art quality of these images is too inconsistent across the board, and if this sort of depiction is desired I'd have another go at a different, more screen-friendly style.

Just to prove that you can never get people to agree, I actually think the counters look very sharp but was thinking that map is fine, but nothing to write home about, with the resource overlays being especially weak.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 13
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 6:10:10 PM   
pvthudson01

wow this looks awesome! I cant wait

You guys are gonna send me to the poorhouse

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 14
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 6:17:05 PM   
sol_invictus

Generally, I like the looks of the game. I agree that it would be nice to have an option to use NATO unit symbols for all units. Maybe it is a coincidence, but is there a statement being made by the depiction of the Austrian unit symbols on the counters? The Germans appear to be moving smartly in the advance, while the Austrians appear to be milling about.

I guess that Strategic Rail Movement being abstracted is not only fine but preferred, imo, but I agree that it would be nice to have the major rail lines depicted on the map. I imagine that rail lines are assumed to exist between all major cities and supply is traced from cities, so major advances will need to be within supply radius of cities. This would in essense tie major offenses to rail lines in a somewhat abstract way.

I am really looking forward to this game as I have never played any computer games dealing with WWI other than flight sims. Care to give any hints as to a projected release window? Early August would seem appropriate.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 15
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 6:23:18 PM   
wodin

Still dont like the map.

I'd like to get some sort of 1914 - 1918 atmosphere from the graphics and text etc but I dont.

The background to an info box on the first screenshot has a distorted American flag on it...........Odd as America only really got going in the last year of the war.

Germany research and development info box has a Tommy on it.

I hope it has some good intro music at least to give a feeling of the era.

I agree about raliways. Im reading a book " Secrets of Rue de Roch Street" at the moment which is about British intelligence and the watching of railway stations in Luxemburg. However they watched them all over Germany to see about units transfering from the East to the West front. Railways were the main way of transporting troops quickly so its odd that there not shown.

Anyway enough of all that.

I hope it exceeds were it matters and thats in the gameplay.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 16
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 6:57:43 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

I had a chance to test this one long ago before it looked so nice.

Personally I think it's going to be kewl, and is a definate buy for me.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 7:00:37 PM   
mlees

quote:

I hope it has some good intro music at least to give a feeling of the era.

One of the features I liked about Hearts of Iron was the fact that you could stick MP3 formatted music/audio files into the music folder, and the game would play those files in game. I downloaded a whole bunch of appropriate music to stir the blood.

Respectfully request this, or similar feature. (I know it's kinda late in the cycle, but what they hey...)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 7:00:58 PM   
sol_invictus

A couple more things; while the city graphics look improved, I would prefer a different font for the names on the map. How far south does the map go? It appears to go farther north than need be. I think it could be moved in a southerly direction to cover more of the Caucasus Mountains, Syria and Northern Mesopotamia and less of the North Sea and the Nordic countries. Ideally it would cover almost all of the Middle East but I can understand having to make some compromises. I would like to see it go at least as far south as Aleppo and Mosul, though Jeruselem and Baghdad would be even better.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 7:20:57 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

Just as an aside.

Do not judge this game by its graphics (although I think they are kewl). This is one of those cases where you have an innovative gaming system which makes you forget about what the cities look like.

It will also rock at PBEM, I believe, because of the verity of ways to actually approach the strategic context of the war.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 20
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 7:27:26 PM   
mlees

What is the number in parenthesis that follows a cities name? A Victory Point value?

Post #: 21
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 9:16:16 PM   
sol_invictus

Speaking of "the variety of ways to approach the strategic context of the war", this raises "THE BIG" question. Will Germany start the game at war with Belgium? If not, is it possible for Germany to opt for an Eastern strategy and stay on the defense in the West? What would be the implications for British intervention if Germany does not invade Belgium? What if France invades Belgium? Would Britain intervene on Belgium's behalf aginst France? I call this scenario, The Kaiser's Wet Dream. If Germany is basicly forced into the Schlieffen Plan, is France also forced into Plan XVII and how would this be implemented? Of course, after the initial maneuvers, everyone is free to proceed as they wish, but these initial questions are of paramount importance.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 22
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 10:32:09 PM   
*Lava*

Well..

When I worked with it there was some wiggle room. Am willing to bet that has been expanded.

Ray (alias Lava)

Post #: 23
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/21/2006 10:38:41 PM   
YohanTM2

Thanks Erik,

Looking forward to the game moving forward and would also like to see a Nato toggle for the units.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 24
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 1:37:30 AM   
Skeleton

I would also like to cast my vote for NATO counters. Brilliant looking otherwise, and thank you for the screenshots. Is there any type of vague/tentative timeframe for a release date? Again, thank you Erik for your responses.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 25
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 3:42:15 AM   
Bossy573

Don't mind the counters at all and I like the overall look very much. Wodin has a point but that seems to be a question of atmosphere which perhaps a little artistic flash and some music might handle.

Baby, I can't wait to get this game on my hard drive! HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 26
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 3:51:08 AM   
Hanal

The two gear icon, which I presume represents industry, is a bit busy...I would recommend using only one.

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 27
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 6:21:17 AM   
sol_invictus

The gears do look a bit jarring. I guess it denotes when forces are being recruited. I am really looking forward to release.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 28
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 10:00:17 AM   
pauk

seriously, i will try this game. Looks good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 2:00:09 PM   
Caranorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I agree about raliways. Im reading a book " Secrets of Rue de Roch Street" at the moment which is about British intelligence and the watching of railway stations in Luxemburg. However they watched them all over Germany to see about units transfering from the East to the West front. Railways were the main way of transporting troops quickly so its odd that there not shown.

I assume you mean a collection station, as most intelligence here was collected by locals and transferred to the english, belgian and french secret services.

Back to the topic, I would not mind having visble railroads either, but that does of course depend on how the game is designed, if supply is drawn from cities and those cities need to have a line of communication to other cities then there is less need for actual railroads.

Now to my questions, is that overview map showing the entire mapboard, or is there more terrain to the south? I would have liked to see the Palestinian and Arab (Iraq, for Kut) areas as well.

Please ask the artist to replace the Lego pieces with some other artwork (preferably original). And yes, those two gear wheels are 100% Lego Technic.

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> New Guns Of August Screenshots Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI