Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical League...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical League... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical League... - 6/21/2006 11:58:57 AM   
Claymore Cut

Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a Historical League with some Fictional Players (from between 30-80) to be introduced into the yearly drafts. Are there any suggestions on how to rate these players so they will compare favorably with their Historical Counterparts? Will they be at any disadvantage as they won't have accumulated RL career stats (not sure how the engine evaluates future performance)?

Thanks!

< Message edited by Claymore Cut -- 6/21/2006 11:59:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 7:46:39 PM   
Amaroq

I think you get that 'for free' if you do a 60-man roster - the initial draft year, and any draft year which lacks a 'full' set of players will 'make up the difference' by generating quality young fictional players. They won't be at a significant disadvantage.

To get a 'feel' for that, build a 60-man 1901, and take a look around the players who don't have RL stats.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 2
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 8:40:08 PM   
XCom

So, then the players who are generated as fillers in a 60-man historical league are the same caliber as the players created for fictional amateur drafts?  I was actually looking at the player generation lines of the XML last night and I wasn't quite sure.  There seem to be lines that govern both scenarios.  Actually, there seems to be alot of power in those XML lines to set player generation however you see fit, but it probably could use some explaining.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 3
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 10:21:25 PM   
Claymore Cut

What I was trying to figure out was how do fictional players change over time, as they don't have yearly stats to compare against? What will happen if I create several Fictional players and put them into a historical league?

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 4
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 10:23:46 PM   
Claymore Cut

Also, is there an easy way to add Fictional Players into the game? I've started my association, and gone to the players screen. I don't see an option for add player. You can however, import a real player and change his stats. The only downside to this is you are stuck with his real Major League stats, as there is no clear Historical stats button I have found.

Post #: 5
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 11:15:15 PM   
XCom

Yes, there is a way to create a new fictional player...but I'm not sure what the limitations are on it.  When loading the list of players there is a button on the left for "Create a Hitter" and "Create a Pitcher",  but they are not always there.  It may be that this can only be done in between seasons?  Or maybe only in Classic leagues?  I've seen the buttons, but I haven't paid enough attention to realize why they are there sometimes and not all the time.

As for your first question about placing fictional players into an historical league...Referring to what Amaroq talked about above, i.e. creating a 60-man roster historical league which will generate a bunch of young fictional players with standard ratings to fill out the minors.  From there on their progression would be based on potential, their hidden peak age, and how they are used on your roster.  It may take many seasons to find out how these players mature.  Assuming these players are generated the same way that fictional players are created for a fictional league (if the XML file proves that out...) then you should just be able to create a fictional league and look at the players generated age 27-31 or so to get an idea of veteran ratings.  Then see how those ratings compare to your players in your current historical league.  In the end, experimenting might be the only sure way to know.

Post #: 6
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/21/2006 11:41:14 PM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: XCom

Yes, there is a way to create a new fictional player...but I'm not sure what the limitations are on it.  When loading the list of players there is a button on the left for "Create a Hitter" and "Create a Pitcher",  but they are not always there.  It may be that this can only be done in between seasons?  Or maybe only in Classic leagues?  I've seen the buttons, but I haven't paid enough attention to realize why they are there sometimes and not all the time.

I just tried to do it, you cannot before the draft, which kind of sucks as I want to introduce the players in the draft....

quote:

As for your first question about placing fictional players into an historical league...Referring to what Amaroq talked about above, i.e. creating a 60-man roster historical league which will generate a bunch of young fictional players with standard ratings to fill out the minors.  From there on their progression would be based on potential, their hidden peak age, and how they are used on your roster.  It may take many seasons to find out how these players mature.  Assuming these players are generated the same way that fictional players are created for a fictional league (if the XML file proves that out...) then you should just be able to create a fictional league and look at the players generated age 27-31 or so to get an idea of veteran ratings.  Then see how those ratings compare to your players in your current historical league.  In the end, experimenting might be the only sure way to know.

I'm trying to re-create many Negro League Players from biographical information for a League starting in the 20's (i.e the league doesn't have the "Gentleman's Agreement"). I don't want the Nergro League stars to have problems because they don't have career stats to back them, that is why I am asking all the questions...

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 7
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 12:06:12 AM   
XCom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

I just tried to do it, you cannot before the draft, which kind of sucks as I want to introduce the players in the draft....

Yeah, that's kind of disappointing. That's the place where many people would like to introduce new players. Also, as I've stated in the past I'd love to see Shaun incorporate a way to bulk edit the league file so that you can introduce multiple players by just editing the league output in Excel and then reimport the whole thing back into the program.

quote:

I'm trying to re-create many Negro League Players from biographical information for a League starting in the 20's (i.e the league doesn't have the "Gentleman's Agreement"). I don't want the Nergro League stars to have problems because they don't have career stats to back them, that is why I am asking all the questions...

I don't think you will have a problem as long as the AI handles the new players correctly (assuming this is a mixed human/CPU league). As long as the AI looks only at ratings when making roster decisions then they should not suffer.

Post #: 8
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 3:49:02 AM   
henry296

You shouldn't need to worry about the lack of historical stats.  The game assumes reality started with the year of the import.  I don't think the CPU looks at the historical stats, just ratings and the stats accumulated during the league.  The Real Major League stats are their for our information only.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 9
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 3:50:24 AM   
XCom

Okay, so when I got home I checked out one of the leagues I have setup that is sitting at the amateur draft and the "Create" buttons are available when I click on Players. The league is a fictional multiplayer association.

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's kind of disappointing. That's the place where many people would like to introduce new players. Also, as I've stated in the past I'd love to see Shaun incorporate a way to bulk edit the league file so that you can introduce multiple players by just editing the league output in Excel and then reimport the whole thing back into the program.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 10
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 6:12:09 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: henry296

You shouldn't need to worry about the lack of historical stats.  The game assumes reality started with the year of the import.  I don't think the CPU looks at the historical stats, just ratings and the stats accumulated during the league.  The Real Major League stats are their for our information only.

Ah, thanks Henry!

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 11
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 6:17:49 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

Okay, so when I got home I checked out one of the leagues I have setup that is sitting at the amateur draft and the "Create" buttons are available when I click on Players. The league is a fictional multiplayer association.

quote:

quote:

But I am not trying to put them into the Amatuer Draft. I am trying to create characters for the Initial Draft so the players can be seeded with the rest of the players at the start of the league. For some reason it can only be done after the intial draft, which means my created players won't be available for the starting draft. Does anyone know why this is?

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 12
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 7:27:06 AM   
XCom

Ah, I see...I misunderstood.  Thought you meant you wanted to bring them into an existing association.

quote:

But I am not trying to put them into the Amatuer Draft. I am trying to create characters for the Initial Draft so the players can be seeded with the rest of the players at the start of the league. For some reason it can only be done after the intial draft, which means my created players won't be available for the starting draft. Does anyone know why this is?

< Message edited by XCom -- 6/22/2006 7:28:54 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical Lea... - 6/22/2006 10:25:27 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

Ah, I see...I misunderstood.  Thought you meant you wanted to bring them into an existing association.

quote:

Yep, the goal is to have the created players in the league at the start. I guess the only way to do this is import a player, change his ratings and name, and just ignore his career stats (or just find a player with minimal career stats). Too bad you just can't add players before the Initial draft to the pool

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Introducing Fictional Players into a Historical League... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI