Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HQ units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ units - 7/19/2000 3:51:00 PM   
Belaja smert

Hi, I posted earlier about this same issue, but got little response. In my opinion this is a serious problem because it affects playing significantly, so here goes again. Since it is now often vitally important that the commanding unit is able to move with its subordinates and command them, we need to have a way to change the commanding unit during combat. Unit G0 -> G1 and so forth. This is extremely important for AFVs, it is annoying when in combat your commanding tank is destroyed and surviving crew bails out, staying in command!!! Now you have a panicked crew without a radio, capable of doing nothing sensible and unable to command... Shouldn't the remaining AFVs either come under command of another unit or act independently? After all, don't all tank formations have subcommanders who can take control of the formation if the leader is killed? One solution to the problem could be that when an AFV is destroyed command would transfer to the next unit; G0->G1, G1->G2. This already happens with infantry and should IMO happen with destroyed AFVs even if some of the crew survives. Maybe this could be made in such a way that the commanding unit does not change if other AFVs in formation were not in contact with the commanding tank when it was destroyed. Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"
Post #: 1
- 7/19/2000 4:20:00 PM   
PR^Spanjab

I think the Command and Control option can adversely affect some British Infantry. With most nations it is impossible for the enemy to detect which unit is the HQ from a formation, but many Brit ones are called HQ's! This makes it easier to hassle a British formation by concetrating on it's HQ. Conversely to be realistic it should be possible to detect which tank is the German Command unit as they were always clearly numbered as such! Spanjab PS, no sign of genuine German command tanks with no main gun etc?

(in reply to Belaja smert)
Post #: 2
- 7/19/2000 7:46:00 PM   
Raindem

My understanding was that if a "0" unit gets destroyed, then the remainder of the formation is still being commanded by the next higher level HQ, albeit it will be more difficult to maintain contact. This seems to work the same way that when a "0" unit runs out of orders, you can start using the orders of the next HQ, if in contact.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Post #: 3
- 7/19/2000 8:40:00 PM   
Nikademus

tranfering 'command' from a destroyed '0' unit to another unit in the platoon would IMO defeat the purpose behind the CC rules and the limitations they impose to promote realism. While they can be a bit inflexible at times, implementing your suggestion would produce an effect similar to having the entire feature turned off allowing units to scour pretty much the entire board without having to either protect or keep the 0 unit nearby. loss of the chain of command is yet one more reason to protect those precious command tanks! :-)

Post #: 4
- 7/19/2000 8:50:00 PM   
Warhorse

PS, no sign of genuine German command tanks with no main gun etc?[/B][/QUOTE] Hello, we used to have the Befehlswagen, but these were removed from the oob to allow room for other units. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 5
- 7/20/2000 12:00:00 AM   
Tombstone

If I'm not mistaken, when you lose a #0 unit, that #1 becomes commander. They get pretty messed up C&C-wise though. Don't expect things to work smoothly, but it does work. I've noticed that american and german units deal with commander loss much better than other countries... russia especially. Tomo

Post #: 6
- 7/21/2000 1:37:00 PM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: If I'm not mistaken, when you lose a #0 unit, that #1 becomes commander.
Yes this happens. But ONLY if the crew of the destroyed AFV is killed to the last man. Should even one man survive, he stays in command. With infantry this is not a problem. There should be confusion after the destruction of the commanding unit but maybe after 3-4 turns things could be "back to normal". After all, losses can't be avoided, only coped with Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HQ units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI